Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Is ulm as good in early age as they are in middle age?

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
I believe so, but I just found out that EA ulm doesn't have crossbows and their mages have nature instead of fire so they likely play a lot different.

While we wait for the game request to get processed, basic battle magic!

All battle magic is at the core is taking a look at what you have available, and scripting your mages to cast it. Your wizards are really important in the late game, with select spells being really good at either dropping the other armor, or making yours hard to drop. If you already have a nation that interests you, look at your mages magic paths on here then take a look at what you'd have available to you below.

fool_of_sound posted:

Some useful battle magic:
Fire: Fireball (Evo 3, F2); Phoenix Pyre (Alt 7, F2); Phoenix Power (Conj 3, F2); Falling Fires (Evo 5, F3); Solar Eclipse (Alt 4, F3S1); Prison of Fire (Thau 4, F3); Flaming Arrows (Ench 4, F4); Heat From Hell (Ench 6, F4); Firestorm (Evo 7, F5)
Air: Summon Storm Power (Conj 2, A1); Lightning Bolt (Evo 2, A2); Wind Guide (Alt 4, A2); Mist (Evo 3, A3); Thunder Strike (Evo 4, A3); Summon Air Elemental (Conj 5, A3); Arrow Fend (Ench 6, A4); Storm (Evo 5, A4); Phantasmal Army (Alt 5, A4); Living Clouds (Conj 7, A4); Mass Flight (Ench 7, A4); Fog Warriors (Alt 7, A5)
Water: Rain (Evo 2, W2); Ice Strike (Evo 7, W2); Quickening (Alt 8, W2); Falling Frost (Evo 5, W3); Prison of Sedna (Alt 7, W3); Acid Storm (Evo 7, W4F1); Quagmire (Ench 5, W4); Grip of Winter (Ench 6, Water 4)
Earth: Earth Meld (Alt 2, E2); Summon Earthpower (Conj 3, E2); Blade Wind (Evo 4, E3); Magma Eruption (Evo 6, E3F1); Rain of Stones (Evo 7; E3A1); Destruction (Alt 4, E3); Curse of Stones (Alt 4, E3); Maw of the Earth (Alt 5, E3); Iron Bane (Alt 6, E3); Summon Earth Elemental (Conj 5, E3); Legions of Steel (Const 3, E3); Earthquake (Evo 5, E4); Living Earth (Conj 7, E4)
Astral: Nether Darts (Evo 7, S1D1); Power of the Spheres (Conj 3, S1); Communion Master/Slave (Thau 1, S1); Stellar Cascades (Evo 5, S2); Astral Fires (Evo 6, S3F1); Light of the Northern Star (Conj 4, S3); Antimagic (Ench 4, S3); Doom (Thau 7, S4); Will of the Fates (Thau 8, S4); Solar Brilliance (Ench 7, S5); Master Enslave (Thau 9, S8)
Death: Shadow Blast (Evo 5, D2); Raise Skeletons (Ench 3, D2); Horde of Skeletons (Ench 5, D2); Blast of Unlife (Evo 6, D3); Bane Fire (Evo 6; D3F1); Terror (Thau 4, D3); Wailing Winds (Evo 6, D4A1); Wind of Death (Evo 7, D4A1); Darkness (Alt 6, D4); Rigor Mortis (Ench 6, D4)
Nature: Storm of Thorns (Evo 7, N2); Panic (Thau 3, N2); Creeping Doom (Alt 7, N3); Polymorph (Alt 8, N3); Strength of Gaia (Conj 4, N3E1); Howl (Conj 5, N3)
Blood: Sabbath Master/Slave (Blood 1, B1); Reinvigoration (Blood 1, B1); Agony (Blood 2, B2); Blood Rain (Blood 7, B3)

Note that virtually all spells are situational. This list also omits spells that are primarily useful on or against thugs, since they're a secondary strategy at best. I'm also poo poo At Dominions so my opinions may be wrong.

The bolded spells increase the level of the mage for the duration of the battle, giving them more powerful options+less fatigue, and should almost always be a priority in both research and scripting. There's a bigger write-up on what these things do here

The tricky part is in scripting. If your mages aren't positioned in range they won't move in range, they'll just skip that part of the script, and you need to make sure you don't kill your mages with fatigue. There's math involved in the latter, so for now just don't chain back to back -100 fatigue spells.

tl;dr

1)look at what your mages have available and pick one or two things that sound cool

2)Make sure your mages have gems for anything that costs gems

3)Make sure you don't go over 100 fatigue and kill your wizards

4)Make sure you place your wizards in range to cast

Pomp fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 24, 2015

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

problematic hug

what exactly is happening in that gif up in the op? i can tell it's something nasty but that's about it

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

he's casting a huge gently caress you to everybody spell and making it essentially impossible to dispel

drilldo squirt

That's really rude.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
*by sacrificing 1000 people

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Got tired of waiting for the dude to set up the server, think he's away for awhile :shrug:, so sign ups are up for now.

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/296

yes, your steam profile is fine instead of desura

Pomp fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 26, 2015

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Basic strats for anyone turbolost still

EA Caelum - Flying assholes. Make your pretender Virtue with fire 4, get elephants early to expand. Virtue can solo expand but you need to pick and choose vulnerable looking targets. Elephants will clear out almost anything that doesn't massively outnumber them. Research fire arrows and orb lightning, and a get whole lot of archers and spearmen. Abuse the mobility being flying assholes afford you. Virtue is fragile on its own moving in to late game.

EA Pangaea - Beastmen and dryads. Take a nature 9 bless on a green dragon pretender, expand into almost whatever the gently caress you feel like with it. Rush alteration up to at least 5. Make sure you have the gems to cast mother oak the turn you get alteration 5. Your sacred centaurs are good when blessed, and your long term plan is a whole lot of satyrs, minotaurs and centaurs buffed up, and a whole lot of nature gems to do it with.

Any ocean race - You're unlikely to win, but you'll be annoying as gently caress and everyone will hate you and nobody will want to take the time to deal with you. A tertiary threat more than anything. Not really recommended to pick an ocean race if one is already in game. Atlantis is legit good I hear, but R'yleh has all the eldritch horrors you could want. Take an earth snake with scales, do whatever you want with it. Playing like a raiding party is pretty fun.

C'tis - Take a dragon with scales. Have your lizards summon a whole lot of skeletons in battle. Try to research some construction so you can build your lizards items that buff their nature magic so they're capable of casting buffs on your lizard armies. Recruit a mix of infantry and calvalry, script your cavalry so they try to smash into wizards and archers in the back. Those are the bane of anything that relies on raw troops. At alteration 5 your wizards can cast invulnerability, loving cast it.

Try them out against AI. IRC folks are super helpful if you end up with any questions. Watch battle replays too, they help get an understanding for why something isn't working.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 29, 2015

----------------

drilldo squirt

I tried a dragon guy once and he died when I tried expanding with him solo in the first turn. What the heck pomp?

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
you got loving OWNED by a 1/1000 roll

----------------

drilldo squirt

So I should try dragon guy again is what you're saying?

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
maybe earth snake it's borderline unkillable

----------------

DemonToadGoat

my earthsnake is borderline untouchable

FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out
If you want to expand with a dragon, take high dominion (candles) on your god creation screen. taking 9 will give him awe (1), 10 gives him awe (3).

Awe has the effect of blowing the minds of sentient beings attempting to harm your god in melee combat; in order to attack, they have to pass a morale check.

This is useful if you want to consistently fly your dragon god into a pile of spearmen and have him walk away without taking serious injury.

Keep in mind that awe and fear are both useless against undead or otherwise mindless beings.

Btw: don't play early age R'lyeh.

They're the most horrifying aquatic race in the game, and your armies of mind-melting aboleths will murder literally any other sea nation in the early game with no questions asked. But all their good units are purely aquatic, their amphibious mages lose magic power aboveground, and there's no efficient way to leverage purely aquatic power in a game full of land nations.

EA Atlantis is an actual contender, however; the Basalt King is one of the best mages in the game, bar none.

Straightforward nations for new players in the early age trying to learn the ropes include EA Abysia, which was my first game.

Take a Pheonix as your god, give him some fire powers and heat scales, recruit your heavy infantry and research evocation; you'll be slaughtering independent tribespeople in no time, and the skills you learn will translate to most other nations. Plus the Pheonix's immortality gives you some leeway if you accidentally make a mistake and get your god killed.

The general consensus is that the most powerful EA nations are Lanka first and Xibalba/Mictlan right below that; that is because they are blood magic nations with meaty sacred units and large, flexible toolkits. You probably should not attempt blood magic immediately unless you totally want to in which case go for it and have fun.

FilthIncarnate

Another thing about fighting with a dragon is learning how to read dominions battle-scripting.

Telling him to "attack" will cause him to fly at something and bite/scratch it with his melee weapons; telling him to "fire" will cause him to walk (not fly) towards the nearest enemy and fire his breath weapon.

I find the most satisfying thing to be to tell him to attack the first turn and fire the second, leaving all other orders blank; this ensures he will begin toasting fools immediately but lets him be creative in how he does it.

problematic hug

FilthIncarnate posted:

Btw: don't play early age R'lyeh.

everyone keeps saying this so i might have to actually listen. it's a real bummer

FilthIncarnate

problematic hug posted:

everyone keeps saying this so i might have to actually listen. it's a real bummer

I wish they were better than they are, but I've tried very hard to make them work and, unless you set up a gimmick all-water-nations-and-nobody-else game, they simply aren't viable.

If you don't want to win and would in fact like to troll a large multiplayer game, however, feel free to take a full astral god, research both "mind hunt" and "soul slay", recruit a large number of mind lords, and slaughter dozens of non-astral commanders per turn by entering their dreams and incinerating them.

If you would like a normal and viable version of R'lyeh, play the Middle Age version; illithids are gold-hungry, but no joke.

Also EA R'lyeh doesn't even actually get the Void Gate, so you don't even get to summon Lovecraftian abominations during it.

To be fair, the lovecraftian abominations are mostly not super great, though there do exist exceptions; namely

-The Greater Otherness/Foul Spawn are meaty, regenerating front-line units
-the Elder Thing is a free Ilithid that doesn't eat or cost gold
-the Visitor is a teleporting, ethereal hero-commander that offers R'lyeh its sole air mage
-and, of course, the Vastness.

Really the only reason to camp the void gate every turn is because statistically it will eventually produce a Vastness, which, used properly, is one of the best units in the game.

But Early Age R'lyeh misses out on all of that fun stuff anyway, so, y'know.

FilthIncarnate

Late Age R'lyeh has poisonous dominion that drives all non-Void Sane units incurably bonkers (causing them to stop responding to orders and take random actions); it also kills thousands of people in every province ever year, turning some of them into incredibly weak but rabidly devoted "madman" soldiers.

It takes a radically different playstyle than a normal nation and I would avoid it unless you want a challenge and are prepared to be incredibly frustrated.

If you want an amphibious R'lyeh-like in the early age, I would actually suggest Agartha? They're a race of one-eyed amphibious cave giants with excellent magic skills and stronger-than-human (though not terribly good at combat) units.

The real draw is the Olms, sentient cave worms who have the exact same stats as ilithids/aboleths.

Also they have a fun national spell ("Break the Seal", at the end of the Alteration school, iirc) which

um

it does fun things to the world, especially in a multiplayer game.

drilldo squirt

Just signed up for that site pomp, how long does it take for an account usually?

----------------

drilldo squirt

FilthIncarnate posted:

Late Age R'lyeh has poisonous dominion that drives all non-Void Sane units incurably bonkers (causing them to stop responding to orders and take random actions); it also kills thousands of people in every province ever year, turning some of them into incredibly weak but rabidly devoted "madman" soldiers.

It takes a radically different playstyle than a normal nation and I would avoid it unless you want a challenge and are prepared to be incredibly frustrated.

If you want an amphibious R'lyeh-like in the early age, I would actually suggest Agartha? They're a race of one-eyed amphibious cave giants with excellent magic skills and stronger-than-human (though not terribly good at combat) units.

The real draw is the Olms, sentient cave worms who have the exact same stats as ilithids/aboleths.

Also they have a fun national spell ("Break the Seal", at the end of the Alteration school, iirc) which

um

it does fun things to the world, especially in a multiplayer game.

I tried these guys once and the poo poo you summon out of that gate is cool as hell, the AI murdered me though.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

FilthIncarnate posted:

Also EA R'lyeh doesn't even actually get the Void Gate, so you don't even get to summon Lovecraftian abominations during it.

what the gently caress

drilldo squirt posted:

Just signed up for that site pomp, how long does it take for an account usually?

took mine a day or two way back when

Pomp fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 29, 2015

----------------

FilthIncarnate

Pomp posted:

what the gently caress

The canonical reason is that in the early age R'lyeh is just a bunch of mind-control fish (the aboleths) who have built a slave society by mind-controlling other races (who have hands) and making them do all the work.

Somewhere in between Early Age and Middle Age, there's a

a comet crashes into the earth, basically, annihilating the EA capital of Atlantis, poisoning a shitload of the ocean, and causing major tidal waves that have wide-reaching effects. Atlantean society has its head cut off, all the Basalt Kings and Queens killed instantly; the lower castes rebuild themselves a society in the shallower coral reefs. Xibalba, an Aztec-themed nation of cave-dwelling bat-people, have their subterranean caves flooded, which kills most of them off; MA Xibalba ends up being a flooded cavernworld of refugee Atlanteans who pick up where the bats left off.

Anyway turns out the comet wasn't just a comet; it contained a whole bunch of

aliens, basically. The ilithids, void-worshipping tentacled telepaths, who are the backbone of the Lovecraft dudes.

They end up building MA R'lyeh on the ashes of EA Atlantis and pick up where the aboleths (mostly killed off by the comet, though one or two still persist; you can get one as a hero through random chance in MA) left off: enslaving and conquering.

The main thing ilithids have over aboleths, tactically speaking, is that they can breathe air, which means they can gently caress poo poo above the waves as well as below.

Anyway that's my story thanks for reading.

Fake edit: the canon continues that, in between Middle Age and Late Age, the ilithids murder and enslave basically all other aquatic nations in a pretty horrible way. Sort of luckily for the rest of the world, however, they end up contacting something in the Void that even they don't understand; it ends up being a God Dreaming of the Void, which is whatever god you choose to use for LA R'lyeh, basically. The Dreamlands effect is the poisonous, crazymaking dominion effect I talked about earlier.

To play LA R'lyeh you have to understand that you actually don't have consistent access to good fighting units and sooner or later your gold is going to run out because your entire population is going to go incurably insane and die. The good news is that you have very powerful mages, your primary magical strength (astral magic) has an excellent lategame, and that your dominion can be used as an offensive weapon: if you push it into other people's lands, you can murder their economies and drive their commanders insane.

You mostly end up rolling around the edges of your ruined lands with a ferocious army of Lovecraftian oozes and abominations supplemented by wide-eyed farmers with pitchforks, nudist crazies swinging fish in lieu of weapons, and presided over by some sort of reality bending Elder God.

It can be fun, but having no conventional economy is a huge pain in the rear end, and if your opponents manage to bottle you up in your own madness long enough, you'll starve yourself out and die.

If you really want to try it, make sure you take Turmoil 3 and Luck 3; this will allow you to get some inconsistent gold from random lucky events, which you'll desperately need.

secondary fake edit: the Atlanteans do fun things in between Middle and Late Ages to survive; LA Atlantis is a tribe of eskimo frog-people who have resorted to living in the polar ice caps to escape the poisonous seas; if you manage to build a fortress under water, you'll gain access to a few mages with Void Sanity who can survive Lovecraft poo poo without going crazy.

Also another group of Atlanteans take over a human society and demand blood sacrifice.

Sorry

I

during the off season I have a lot of time on my hands.

drilldo squirt

Just tried a dragon with awe he didn't die but I'm worried all these wounds are going to add up. Any way to get rid of them?

----------------

DemonToadGoat

all you do is stay at home and say.
Soothe me baby sooooth me

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

Just tried a dragon with awe he didn't die but I'm worried all these wounds are going to add up. Any way to get rid of them?

there's items you can forge that will get rid of them, and some nations have units that do it for free

----------------

FilthIncarnate

drilldo squirt posted:

There are things you can try; if you have lots of Nature magic, there's a global called "Gift of Health" that will make all friendly units healthier and stronger in your dominion and they'll randomly lose afflictions, for example.

But the truth is that you're probably going to have to retire your dragon from active combat duty sooner or later; unless your god chassis has immortality or recuperation (which specifically heals afflictions; regeneration works in battle and makes afflictions less likely but does not heal them) afflictions are permanent.

Examples of monster-god chassis that include recuperation as part of the basic chassis include the Ancient Kraken (aquatic only, but still one of my personal favorites) or the Great White Bull.

Also I think some of the serpents? Like the Earth Serpent, which after the most recent patch rebalanced things is I really think the best available god, hands down.

It's okay to retire a dragon, though; the truth is that, as the game goes on, beastly monster gods become less and less effective as your opponents begin to climb the magic tree and develop their economies.

In the early game, there's not a lot you can do against a ferocious supercombatant. In the later game, well,

soul slay (astral), frozen heart (water), a huge number of assassins, a wide variety of available buffs (army of marble, strength of giants, etc) that make your standard troops tough enough that a dragon can't murder them as quickly as they need to to avoid getting butchered, etc.

The truth is that monster gods (dragons, serpents, bulls, etc) are primarily useful at the beginning of the game. Mostly for expansion but also maybe as a powerful asset in an early war; after all, if all you've got is a couple dozen naked archers, nothing says "gently caress off" like a souped-up beast. But as the game goes on, the afflictions tend to pile up, and the tools to effectively murder your god become a lot more accessible.

Generally immobile gods (statues, fountains, etc) are taken when you feel like you have a handle on how to play your civilization without a crutch and want to spend your creation points on long-term economic stuff (taking "growth" or "order", for gold, or taking "magic" to increase your research speed, for example). Titans (the class of gods that look like oversized people, sometimes with animal parts) sort of strike a balance between the two.

Pomp posted:

there's items you can forge that will get rid of them, and some nations have units that do it for free

This is also true; however, iirc the item in question is pretty far up the Construction path, and the only nation off the top of my head that has easy access to affliction healers is Arcosphale? I could be wrong.

Afflictions are deliberately hard to get rid of.

If you REALLY want to get rid of them, you could always climb all the way up the Alteration tree and make a Wish.

It's almost certainly a waste of a Wish though.

Klarm
Blood feast heals afflictions. Just one more reason why blood nations are the best.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
if you're pangaea you should definitely be going for gift of health anyway, and they like a good expansion god IME

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else signing up?

----------------

FilthIncarnate

I'm having trouble figuring the signup process out; I think I signed up correctly but it won't let me log in.

for what it's worth I'm bad at understanding computers.

Edit: oh looks like someone has to notice me and let me know.

Well, in a day or two when I'm verified, I'll join.

FilthIncarnate fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 4, 2015

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it's too keep out people who pirated, since that can gently caress up the entire thing

----------------

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
are there any big dominions threads with people playing in games they are fun to read

FilthIncarnate

boom; signed in as Lanka, so that Kailasa and I can play Planet of the Apes.

HUSKY DILF posted:

are there any big dominions threads with people playing in games they are fun to read

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum

drilldo squirt

HUSKY DILF posted:

You should play with us.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Also how much longer we waiting to start?

----------------

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

drilldo squirt posted:

You should play with us.

that would be a lot of fun but i'm v unreliable

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

Also how much longer we waiting to start?

i'm sorting out server stuff right now

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
The server is now accepting pretenders.

proactiveapathy.com
port 7647

you have to make your pretenders through game tools for network games. passwords are important, or anyone can cheat by logging into the server as you and loving up your turns or just seeing what you're up to. You set a password on the magic/scales part of pretender creation, right here

Wanna have the game started by saturday

----------------

DemonToadGoat

hmm nope, did you type that right? or did I mess up?

proactiveapathy.com:7647

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
that should be right. all I can figure it you're entering the port at the IP screen, instead of the one after that

----------------

• Locked thread