Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I genuinely can't figure this out. He puts out these blatantly pro big business proposals without even bothering to spin them for the working and middle class. And he keeps bragging about beating the protesters and winning the recall election, when really that just says he's divisive and not that popular in his own state. He even tried to take credit for the occupy movement (via state workers protests). Then he goes after the trump vote by saying he'd repeal birthright citizenship and built a wall to stop Canadians from crossing the border. He's also recently co opted the magic word theory of counter terrorism that Ted Cruz has been pushing.

And on top of all that he has no charisma and looks like a cross eyed doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you give him millions of dollars he'll do whatever you tell him to.

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free
he's got a face that only picasso could draw

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
he has no appeal so like the underlying assumption of your question is faulty hth

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
His 60s output was good.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

he has no appeal so like the underlying assumption of your question is faulty hth

Yea apparently not much given his polling is nearing negative numbers.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
He was anti union back when nobody had a job

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
He's a College drop out Packer fan who loves guns, rides a motorcycle, and hates nerds. That's half of Wisconsin right there.

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

All Americans are only temporarily poor or disenfranchised. If only big government was a little more business friendly, we'd all be millionaires. Walker 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
He hates liberals and unions and so do his petty stupid hateful supporters.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
He pushed hardline conservative reforms in a Blueish state and won a tough re-election. You live on another planet if you think Republicans don't want a divisive candidate - the current front runner wants to deport 12 million people on the first day of his presidency.

Be glad Walker is turning out to be kinda unlikable on a national stage because if he had a bit more charisma I could see the establishment GOP switching their support to him now that Jeb! is cratering. Fortunately he's probably a bit too mean and dorky looking to win a general election but it's no mystery why conservatives would like him.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Helsing posted:

He pushed hardline conservative reforms in a Blueish state and won a tough re-election. You live on another planet if you think Republicans don't want a divisive candidate - the current front runner wants to deport 12 million people on the first day of his presidency.

Be glad Walker is turning out to be kinda unlikable on a national stage because if he had a bit more charisma I could see the establishment GOP switching their support to him now that Jeb! is cratering. Fortunately he's probably a bit too mean and dorky looking to win a general election but it's no mystery why conservatives would like him.

If any Republican is elected president they're gonna rubber stamp whatever disgusting poo poo the GOP house sends up to them anyway. Walker isn't going to be any better/worse than the field at large. I just dislike him more than the rest because he happened to my state.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Helsing posted:

Okay, so I forgot how the base actually wants a divisive candidate, but he's neither angry enough for the base nor friendly enough for the general election, and his policies aren't drastically different than some of the other candidates but he states them so plainly that only members of the "job creator" class class would find them appealing.

I guess both he and Jeb have more money than people behind them at this point, but Walker doesn't have Jeb's brand recognition nor his charm (what little he has). I mean, Jeb is a nerd, but Walker is just a dork.

At any rate, Donald Trump's popularity seems to disprove the notion that the base is looking for a True Fiscal Conservative.

Nouvelle Vague posted:

His 60s output was good.

Agreed. Did you hear his recent collab with sunn O))))?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
He wants to lower government spending, and some people think lowering government spending will increase their quality of life.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
he isnt jeb bush and has establishment backing hth

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

He's been slobbin that Reagan knob for like 30 years which is apparently a Republican debate metric

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
he doesn't make you feel real stupid when you talk to him!!!!

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
OP, do you have any FB friends or relatives who post memes about people on welfare? Or an Uncle who belonged to a union for 20 years, but just HATES Obama and think that the NEA is essentially a bunch of Hitlers?

There's Scott Walker's base.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

a helpful bear posted:

he doesn't make you feel real stupid when you talk to him!!!!

I feel more stupid whenever I listen to him.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

railroad terror posted:

OP, do you have any FB friends or relatives who post memes about people on welfare? Or an Uncle who belonged to a union for 20 years, but just HATES Obama and think that the NEA is essentially a bunch of Hitlers?

There's Scott Walker's base.

Actually SW is polling at 0%, he literally has no base.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
waiting for this idiot to drop out and die in a motorcycle accident

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Its his hair

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Top City Homo posted:

But if he hits his head again, he'll go completely bald this time.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Top City Homo posted:

Well he's halfway there.

zen death robot posted:

Apparently he asked his staff the same question and decided to drop out, OP

in his words, to make room for another "true conservative"

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Hilario Baldness posted:

He wants to lower government spending, and some people think lowering government spending will increase their quality of life.

'keep the government off my medicare!'

I still laugh about this one.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Colbert's Hunger Games rip on Walker dropping out will be the peak of his coverage

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

nailed it

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

He's telling his 0% share of the voters not to vote for Trump. A bold gesture, let's see if it pays off.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

"positive conservative influence" actually, which is a pretty great oxymoron even if it does sum up how the establishment sees Trump (too negative an influence to be spin-doctored out)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Okay, so I forgot how the base actually wants a divisive candidate, but he's neither angry enough for the base nor friendly enough for the general election, and his policies aren't drastically different than some of the other candidates but he states them so plainly that only members of the "job creator" class class would find them appealing.

I guess both he and Jeb have more money than people behind them at this point, but Walker doesn't have Jeb's brand recognition nor his charm (what little he has). I mean, Jeb is a nerd, but Walker is just a dork.

At any rate, Donald Trump's popularity seems to disprove the notion that the base is looking for a True Fiscal Conservative.

The guy I knew who was most excited about Walker was a movie director and screen writer who would claim that they are 'fiscally conservative and socially liberal' and who really just saw Walker as a guy with a track record of going into a relatively Liberal state and "standing up" to the unions there.

I think the person who compared him to Huntsman from last time around was spot on: he was exciting to a certain kind of intellectual conservative who fetishes "tough decisions" on fiscal policy but who thinks all the race baiting and social conservatism of the GOP is a mildly regrettable but necessary step in getting through to the Great Unwashed.

Turns out the GOP base had different ideas this time around.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

SedanChair posted:

But if he hits his head again, he'll go completely bald this time.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
This is why I don't really get the crying over citizens united. Sure less money would be great but it's hardly the silver bullet these days. Unlimited Koch money got the dude jack loving poo poo. Bernster is doing just fine, nowadays with a competent campaign staff you can really stretch dollars if you actually have a good message with supporters willing to back you up with their time. Plus social media allows you to reach out for cheaper than ever.

I honestly suspect that even if Lessig got his dream with not much would change at all, at the end of the day without completely gutting the first amendment money is going to exert their power one way or another and it's kinda naive to think otherwise. It's not even a money=speech thing these days.

TROIKA CURES GREEK has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Sep 22, 2015

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

The guy I knew who was most excited about Walker was a movie director and screen writer who would claim that they are 'fiscally conservative and socially liberal' and who really just saw Walker as a guy with a track record of going into a relatively Liberal state and "standing up" to the unions there.

I think the person who compared him to Huntsman from last time around was spot on: he was exciting to a certain kind of intellectual conservative who fetishes "tough decisions" on fiscal policy but who thinks all the race baiting and social conservatism of the GOP is a mildly regrettable but necessary step in getting through to the Great Unwashed.

Turns out the GOP base had different ideas this time around.

I really don't think he's anything like Huntsman and I doubt very much he shared any significant % of supporters. I don't think SW really even had a base outside of WI to be honest, his polling was pure name recognition, which is pretty much the complete opposite of Huntsmans deal. Republicans outside of WI were vaguely aware that he was the dude that showed the unions whats what but as soon as they actually saw him speak his support vanished completely.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

This is why I don't really get the crying over citizens united. Sure less money would be great but it's hardly the silver bullet these days. Unlimited Koch money got the dude jack loving poo poo. Bernster is doing just fine, nowadays with a competent campaign staff you can really stretch dollars if you actually have a good message with supporters willing to back you up with their time. Plus social media allows you to reach out for cheaper than ever.

I honestly suspect that even if Lessig got his dream with not much would change at all, at the end of the day without completely gutting the first amendment money is going to exert their power one way or another and it's kinda naive to think otherwise. It's not even a money=speech thing these days.

The Kochs hadn't committed all their money yet. They were waiting to make sure their chosen candidate wouldn't just lay a turd and waste all of the funds they gave him.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

According to this article, Walker potentially did have a niche, but it's gone now. http://www.vox.com/2015/9/22/9370841/walker-drops-out-immigration

Then again, even the most ignorant among the base probably saw through his flip flopping on immigration.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Walker's collapse proves that if you're an idiot you'll run your campaign dry come hell or high water. He staffed up like his announcement contributions would continue forever. If he had a hint of fiscal ability and understood simple business concepts like cash flow he would still be in the race in January.

It also doesn't help that he had the unfortunate combination of:

1) Looking like an idiot
2) Sounding like an idiot
3) Being an idiot

Unlimited Super PAC contributions are a huge asset to those who would be effective candidates without them. Those who would fail spectacularly without them won't be saved by them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Helsing posted:

Wait, what. A director and screenwriter? I would imagine he is a part of SAG and all the other unions that depend on each other for Hollywood to even function. This would be like a black KKK guy. I suppose there has got to be at least one out there. I guess Reagan was in a union for his entire life, but he also praised them during that time. He only busted up the airline one because he was pissed, not because he was inherently anti-union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
When you think about it, hitting your head so hard that your hair falls out might explain some things about him.

• Locked thread