Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
Hello OP, I also am recovering from a financially abusive ex and a drug problem, and a lot of debt. 2 years ago I had $23k in consumer debt with nothing to show for it, but now it's down to below $8k and I am on schedule to be debt free by November of next year. I did this by using a non profit debt counseling program. I think they are Canada-wide, thought I don't see any Quebec offices (you said you were in Quebec right?). I did all my stuff with them over the phone so even if there is no local office to you I bet you could deal with one of the offices in Ontario. Or they could refer you to a similar program in Quebec.

Basically they talk to all your debtors, stop all interest from accruing, and teach you how to make and live off a drat budget. Once they stop your interest from accruing you pay them (the non profit) every month and they disperse it over all your debts until you're free of them. For me it's a 3 year plan, but they tailor it to you so yours could be different. While this plan is ongoing you do have a lousy credit rating (but WHO CARES) and your rating goes back up after your program is completed.

I cannot recommend these people enough, they're super friendly and understanding and I don't think I'd be digging my way out of this hole nearly as well if I was doing this on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread