Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

nefarious napkin posted:

OK I always wondered about these organizations and whether or not they are scams. It's great to have a recommendation for one that is non profit! I actually spoke to a friend in the Credit Card industry, and he told me that I can just call and tell them I'm having troubles making my payments, and they will turn off interest for 3 months with no penalty. That's $400 saved that can go back to the debt. I'll give these guys a call first and see if they have any more advice!

This might be a silly question but it's something I've been thinking about that your post reminded me of. Really... how important is credit? It was driven into my head to protect my credit at all costs when I was younger, and so my rating is great. Never missed a bill or payment, my only hit is that my debt to available credit ratio is high.

There are these options like what Angry Pie outlined above, which is very similar to the Quebec Voluntary Deposit program, consumer proposals, etc etc. I also have friends who ended up in collections but in the end paid way less of their debt after negotiating with the creditors, which kind of makes me jealous. All of these hit your credit rating, but it's not like I'm buying a house or a car anytime soon. Is it worth it to protect my rating?

As a side note, it goes to show how used to ignoring this problem I am - I saw your $23K figure and cringed and thought "holy poo poo that's rough" and then remembered mine is much higher...

If they can stop the interest for 3 months that would be a big help in your situation. With your current credit card balance on the interest bearing card you are probably down to $130 per month of interest. While that's not great you are in a good position to start demolishing the balance on that card as a payment of $500 per month should reduce the monthly interest by about $6 per month initially.

If your credit rating is alright and you can make all the monthly payments then there's no point damaging your credit. You may be able to have the organisation negotiate on your behalf. Creditors prefer it if you approach them before you are in a disaster rather than after. The fact that you have made all your payments will be an advantage in a negotiation.

The best thing is that you are in a recoverable financial position. It will be slow and tough at first but as you progress it will get easier and the debts will disappear at a faster rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread