Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

nefarious napkin posted:

I don't think I can quit drinking. I work long stressful hours, and it help me blow off a lot of steam and keep myself sane. However, I think I can cut back to either a) one bar night out a month or b) a couple purchases of at home beers or wine to enjoy over the month. It would be a serious cut back from before with several bar nights out a week on top of at home purchases.

What does a median night out look like for you? Maybe limit yourself to one of those every two weeks, plus a small home allowance. For example, maybe every two weeks you give yourself $20 to spend out and $20 to spend at home on alcohol. Consider placing these $40 (or whatever you pick) in an envelope every two weeks and restricting your alcohol purchases to cash pulled from the envelope.

Setting a limit on alcohol can definitely help. One of my goals this year was to only spend $50 a month on alcohol at home, since we had gotten in a habit of buying 1-2 six packs a week plus a bottle of bourbon or scotch every 4-5 weeks. I set this limit so that if I bought a bottle of liquor, I would severely hamper my ability to buy beer during the same month. Now it's September and we haven't bought one bottle of liquor all year. It feels really good to have broken that habit. Yeah it's nice to try new scotches but there are a thousand other things we like to do and I don't really miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EugeneJ posted:

...maybe your doctor can help you with this too

1-2 beers a week to blow off steam is not a problem, let alone one that requires medical attention

nefarious napkin posted:

Accomplishments so far (remembering these keeps me from feeling 100% discouraged):
- Kicked the abusive, money stealing ex to the curb! However, did not recover any money. Some lessons are expensive ones.
- Kicked the ill advised and expensive drug habit!
- Finally acknowledged I have a serious financial problem. Probably need therapy or some poo poo to address why I behave the way I do with money.

By the way, congrats on all of these things :) If you can get out of a drug habit and an abusive relationship you can get out of debt, no problem.

e: I don't see anything in your spending summary about car insurance. What's the deal there? Can you give a little more detail about your transportation situation and needs?

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 17, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

nefarious napkin posted:

When I'm too deprived, I get a very "gently caress it" attitude and ruin all my progress in a couple days.

When you're starting to feel this way, please come in here so we can talk you off the ledge/yell at you/whatever

• Locked thread