Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Have you considered going to see a therapist once a week? I think talking to someone who is 100% objective with their advice could be life changing for you and help give you tools to manage your stress, anxiety, and maladaptive thoughts and behaviors.

Addictions, overspending and impulsive spending are symptoms of underlying stress and anxiety. You have to face this poo poo in order to get past it.

1) start walking every day for at least 20 minutes, preferably outside.
2) see a therapist weekly
3) cut back on alcohol
4) start reading about mindfulness
5) start practicing meditation

The rest will follow because you'll start to be happy and excited about life, rather than speeding through unconsciously to the next finishline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

nefarious napkin posted:

I have thought about going to therapy for general coping tools. I have a tendency to be beat down when life throws too much at me, although until I started this thread I didn't equate poor spending habits to stress and anxiety. It makes sense though, I always feel a little better when I spend money, even if it's on something small and simple.

Bingo. And you're not alone with this, it's nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. However, spending is an unhealthy and unsustainable way to soothe your anxieties, just like smoking/drinking/gambling/shopping/gaming/compulsively checking reddit or facebook, etc. We do these things unconsciously to distract ourselves from imperceptible anxieties, instead of facing these feelings and dealing with them.

I haven't read Moana's book recommendation but it's next on my list now. I would also throw in the book "Radical Acceptance" by Tara Brach (and all of her podcast talks) as mandatory for all people, but especially those aware of their own suffering of the human condition.

nefarious napkin posted:

Tricky thing with therapy is it's another expense to add, Sessions run about $80. I have it covered at 80% so out of pocked isn't too bad, but coverage caps out at $500 per year. Still, I might as well use those 7 or 8 sessions I have covered. I hold it together pretty well at work and socially, but I'm a bit of a anxious wreck sometimes.

I urge you to look past the cost for now, and at least go to the sessions that your insurance will cover. There are always cheaper alternatives, new therapists who are trying to build up their practice, etc. Go to a Licensed Clinical Social Worker instead of a Psychiatrist and you can save yourself thousands, hell some will even work out a sliding scale cash deal with you.

• Locked thread