Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This franchise is effectively dead because they listened to people like MickRaider instead of literally everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
This franchise is effectively dead because they listened to people like (not my play style) instead of literally everyone else

"Why don't they specifically cater to my particular meta instead of the most popular one?!?!?!"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol yeah right buddy, you and 343 have such a great idea of what most people wanted out of Halo Sure have proven that over and over yep

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

So because you don’t like their casual offering in warzone, you think they should have devoted more resources away from the staple 4v4 game type which has been the predominant game type in halo games since always? Maybe like 1-2 8v8 playlists in each game with a population count that was always below standard slayer.

Ok that makes sense

I know you’re just salty that they care too much about the focus on competitive play style, but what you’re asking for makes no sense and results in halo 4. Halo 5’s 4v4 is actually really good tbh and the forge is loving spectacular

But yeah. Halo is dad

And now I’m gonna go play some cause that sounds fun

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Weren't you the guy who worked for 343 when MCC came out and spent all your time being lovely to fans in the last topic? Maybe it's time to shut the gently caress up.

Halo was popular not for 4v4 but for VARIETY, and 343 should be continuing to promote VARIETY.

It's not like 4v4 got that many resources even with B2B being eviscerated, with a bunch of warmed over "new" maps instead of the completely fresh map packs we got in the past.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I agree with Mick, lot of my old halo buddies really enjoyed their time with the 4v4 ladders.

Kinda sucks they tried to extend the weak story further. I think if they just released the MP only for half the price and focused on BtB more there would be less complaining about it.

When they put out 6, I will get it and see what they got.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All MickRaider knows how to do is build space Legos in Forge, he doesn't get what the appeal of the game was to the average player and neither do the devs or the publisher

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

Weren't you the guy who worked for 343 when MCC came out and spent all your time being lovely to fans in the last topic? Maybe it's time to shut the gently caress up.

Halo was popular not for 4v4 but for VARIETY, and 343 should be continuing to promote VARIETY.

It's not like 4v4 got that many resources even with B2B being eviscerated, with a bunch of warmed over "new" maps instead of the completely fresh map packs we got in the past.

Lol gently caress no, I wouldn’t work on this trash game. I have a real job making way cooler poo poo.

Have you even been on halo 5 AT ALL? The amount of variety they have in it is honestly overwhelming.

Their real mistake is not producing more professional btb maps and relying on forge creations. Which I’m ok with because I’ve played on some loving amazing custom maps that they integrate in.

I pretty much only ever play halo for custom content and halo 5 honestly trumps Reach in a lot of ways

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really wish they were paying you because you come off that way every time you talk about this dead franchise that only a few fried brain holdouts and oblivious bougie kids stick with

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I have to play the devils advocate whenever this gets brought up so it’s not an echo box.

I dunno man, halo 5 is actually really fun but whatever, be salty af

Especially after seeing so much toxicity at destiny 2, no one knows what they actually want

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what cooler poo poo do you make

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Super No Vacancy posted:

Anthem

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

Chief Multiplayer Designer for Halo 6

No, I actually do product design engineering

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MickRaider posted:

Lol gently caress no, I wouldn’t work on this trash game. I have a real job making way cooler poo poo.

Have you even been on halo 5 AT ALL? The amount of variety they have in it is honestly overwhelming.

Their real mistake is not producing more professional btb maps and relying on forge creations. Which I’m ok with because I’ve played on some loving amazing custom maps that they integrate in.

I pretty much only ever play halo for custom content and halo 5 honestly trumps Reach in a lot of ways

One of the first things I can agree with from Mick.

The only thing I have against their btb is lack of professional maps. The custom built ones stick out like a sore thumb.

I do enjoy halo 5, I just wish more people would come on and play like cerealkillerkp. It has good variety and it's a well built multiplayer.

The problem is, it got bashed for campaign and it had to come after the debacle of the MCC launch. At that point not a lot of people had xboxones yet. It's considered kind of an old game now so people aren't exactly jumping at the chance to play it today.

If halo 6 can improve upon 5, be one of the best looking multiplayer games due to the Xbox one x, it stands a good chance of revitalizing the franchise. Having MCC be fixed might be the first step in getting to that place.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Honestly nothing is going to revive the Xbox brand. If halo has a future it's on PC

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MickRaider posted:

Especially after seeing so much toxicity at destiny 2, no one knows what they actually want

People want a lot of things but I'm betting "halo with all the fun bits replaced by a lovely loot grind" probably wasn't high on the list

e gently caress quote is not edit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tighclops posted:

This franchise is effectively dead because they listened to people like MickRaider instead of literally everyone else

Every so often I want to play the Halo 5 campaign or something, but I can never get past the opening cinematic.

But they really need to put this game on PC with actual matchmaking etc. because the multiplayer, at least, seems really fun even if they really hosed up everything else. And there's loot crates apparently for some reason.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm done with sprint

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

You can literally do what the competitive community wants then up the player count for everyone else with a few extra maps. Btb players don't care, they're casual players at best.

Also I can't wait for the PC crowd to complain that the game doesn't play the same because it's always been balanced for pad

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The "competitive" community wanted to stand in a grey box shooting BRs at each other all day with one hand and their cock in the other and to hell with anyone that wanted anything different

Listening to them was always a mistake

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

The "competitive" community wanted to stand in a grey box shooting BRs at each other all day with one hand and their cock in the other and to hell with anyone that wanted anything different

Listening to them was always a mistake

You know nothing of competitive Halo. Lol.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

loving, owned

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He's right tho. Comp players don't understand fun. This is true for any game ever.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't understand how you can claim halo 5 is good when it has a server population of 69, lmao

Like you're the only woke dude in the world and the entire rest of the gaming community is actually wrong to not like it or play it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

saw this on the first page of games for the first time in forever and LOL same old arguments.

Halo was popular because it was a multiplayer online shooter on consoles when there was none, with the holdover features of local based multiplayer like custom games and modes (which was arguably created by the likes of 007 or Perfect Dark on N64)

Halo 3 was the interation where it got all of that stuff right, out of the box and made an incredible game that people wanted to play. It built on its strengths of good gun play, good map design (even asymmetric!) and robust online party management to make it incredibly accessible to jump in and play.

I dont think its fair to say that the competitive kids ruined it for everyone. My friends and I are not traditionally competitive/MLG BRO style players, but what drew us to playing Ranked game modes or 4v4 social was the team work element. A single Sperg could definitely carry a team, but a team that worked together well could easily mitigate that and compete at a good level.

Having good maps that scaled well for 4v4 to 8v8 was a huge boon too and it mean that if you'd spend your life playing BTB you could still jump in to 4v4 and feel familiar with it and vice versa.

Nothing at the time of Halo 3 was even close to being as good for multiplayer, until maaaaybe COD:MW came out, which was a huge hit because of the non-stop dopamine hits of hit markers and headshot sounds and kill streaks and challenge/rank up sounds.

Halo just didnt keep up with the market around it. it definitely tried but did so in a way that hurt the core Halo experience rather than improve it. Reach tried to make it work and keep it as a level playing field but there was no incentive to work towards the cosmetic improvements and spend credits on them.

Halo 5 did some things right like adding ironsight/scoping because that was never going to be an option in a shooter ever again. adding some movement speed was neither hit or miss but again, gotta have it now. What it didnt do right is keep the Halo feel, the team work aspect in the game at all. It took a lot of focus off vehicles and fun weapons or modes and pushed everyone to the 1v1 me style of BR play that most people dont find heaps fun (but probably spent the vast majority of the time in H2/3 doing in between cool poo poo like warthogs and banshees.)

I think the biggest MP shooter of the last few years has been Battlefield and honestly it would have been sweet to see Halo go that route with huge player counts on well made maps. Tanks and hogs/ghosts everywhere at that scale is what I think the original concept of Halo was, and it would have fit really well.

Anyway they hosed it up with Halo 4 and 5 both offering terrible Campaign and very poo poo multiplayer that offered random power weapons or loot boxes and its generally made the social/unranked gameplay totally unfun which is another big factor IMO in driving the audience to other games like Battlefield and COD.

I think Halo 3 has more hours logged than any other game I have ever played by a significant margin (days) but I dont see myself buying Halo 6 if that ever happens because there is nothing in this franchise that is like what it used to be.

The no-effort forge maps for social BTB totally ruined the experience for me in halo 5, along with the bots in that other stupid mode and the general fuckery of 'you used a rare card!' *immediately killed on spawn*

Anyway, lol that people still play this game.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Ineffiable posted:

I do enjoy halo 5, I just wish more people would come on and play like cerealkillerkp. It has good variety and it's a well built multiplayer.

Like Gen. MacArthur in the Philippines, I Shall Return.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
lmao goons always find some end on the extreme spectrum to have an opinion.

love too post on a dead forum that noone cares about anymore

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

youre just lashing out in grief. it will be ok, destiny is doing fine

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

It's ok to like just one part of a game guys. Also I know that population count is the only thing that matters for making a game "good" but I had fun and no problems finding a game when I tried so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Being agreeable is less fun though, so troll on. Nothing else to talk about till E3 and then we'll get to see just how bad halo 6 can be. If I can make a prediction it will be somewhere in the range of "The worst game ever made or conceived by mankind" and "so bad it literally gave me cancerous hemorrhoids" but I bet 6-12 moths after it's out it'll probably be fun and much better than the rushed launch.

Video games in this decade sure are swell. :)

halo is dad

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Go into politics already with your loving spin you hack

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Tighclops posted:

Go into politics already with your loving spin you hack

lol

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Congrats to napolean aka Faart XCUSE ME for getting the elusive Fire Unicorn skin.

Also, Halo 5 multiplayer is good. It can’t be helped that bks gravitate toward noob friendly poo poo like Overwatch.

No comment on the single player because I’ve literally never played it.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
There's a fire unicorn!!!!??????!!!!

I'm gonna have to murder him irl and take his account. Halo 5 makes you work for kills unlike every other ADD simulator out giving you dopamine hits with all the flashing poo poo popping up for moving 5 feet across the map lol.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
MCC Spring test update details look very promising: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update

basically dedicated servers, gaming loading optimization between engines, possibility for things like custom game browsing, Xbox Arena, and Mixer support thanks to new Xbox APIs

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

MCC Spring test update details look very promising: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update

basically dedicated servers, gaming loading optimization between engines, possibility for things like custom game browsing, Xbox Arena, and Mixer support thanks to new Xbox APIs

Just release it already

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Adaptabullshit posted:

Just release it already

They will release it first to Xbox Insider members. Just download the Xbox Insider app and sign up for the update when prompted.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Lol if you're not an insider

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I barely knew 'er!

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Agoat posted:

Lol if you're not an insider

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I barely knew 'er!

Delightful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Texibus posted:

Delightful

Nearly two months since the last post in this thread.

343 has recently opened the MCC testing program. You but be able to enroll if you're interested. MCC fixes are probably coming a month or two later.

• Locked thread