Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just watched the episode, hated all the Missy parts. No surprise there.

I also hated the writers trying to be hip and talking about Twitter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But how would she know what hashtag to look up? Uggh, why can't she just say get on the internet like a normal person?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well thats what I get for waiting to say what I think about the latest episode (which was great and I ended up being surprised by it being a two parter.) However I have to say, Clara looked a bit Cherie Blair by way of Steve Bell* this episode. I hope she hasn't become ugly over the past year.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just got done watching the episode, I feel that it did not hold up well to part 1, which I liked a lot. Didn't enjoy deaf girl and her keeper, even in part 1 they were just tolerable, and am glad that I won't have to watch them next week. Never really explained what the ghosts were either, though I guess it was never really going to be anything more than technobabble. I am glad that the glasses look like they'll be staying for at least a little while longer, I think I prefer them to the screw driver at least as a temporary thing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Senor Tron posted:

Jack is essentially a glitch in the Universe created by the TARDIS being used to do something it never should, a medical device is entirely different.

Jack was truly immortal, he couldn't be killed. Ashildr is "functionally immortal," as long as she doesn't gently caress up and get sent through a meat grinder she won't die. Thats a pretty big difference.

Anyways, I disliked the episode. A lot of the jokes were pretty poo poo and had to be sold by having Capaldi over-act. Thats a pretty standard new Who complaint though I guess. Didn't like Coleman's or Williams' performance in this one. I suppose that Clara wasn't an outright hindrance to the episode but it definitely wasn't Coleman's best performance either (I never find myself convinced when she tries to scare people off.) Maisey WIlliams though, wow, I felt nothing in any of her scenes. She looked miserable being there too.

The Doctor getting emotional and trying to save one specific person, who was already dead as far as we can tell was eye-rolling, just because of how much death goes on in the show that doesn't get dwelt on. How is Ashildr any different than all of the other people he sees die on his adventures? I mean look at this episode, a whole room full of vikings got disintegrated. The first one's death was played as a joke. Well whatever, here's hoping the next one is better. I do like the whole two parter format we've been on so far.

edit: And I like this version of the Tardis, it would be a shame to see it changed.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gordon Shumway posted:

I liked Capaldi's Tom Baker voice.

I'd swear he actually used it in the episode too. Just a line or two I looked up when I was viewing it and went, "that sounds a lot like Baker."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
After being three weeks behind I just got caught up and I have to say, I didn't like the Zygons two parter. Whatever idiot they had writing it doesn't know how to write human beings, thats for sure. The fact that the Doctor was perfectly fine with the Zygon extremists getting more power through killing didn't exactly match up well with the message they were trying to say in the previous two-parter either where Ashilda using the death of a man who was going to die anyway was portrayed as a very negative thing. Of course its Dr. Who and the episodes weren't meant to be watched all in a row, even if they did occur sequentially.

Speaking of which, part two of the Ashilda stuff was much better than part one (which I didn't like, if you'll remember) but I don't really want to have Maisy Williams on again. The character just doesn't really interest me and I didn't think she did a great job acting in those episodes (though episode one was much worse in that regard than episode two.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sending out loads of prints seems like a good way to get it leaked early. I can understand why they wouldn't want to.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just got around to the episode and I have to say, I was not impressed. Its not the worst episode of the season (hello, whatever the opener was called) but it also wasn't better than any of the other ones. I was assuming it was going to be creatures from the id so I am pleasantly surprised that I didn't end up guessing the ending but other than that it was a mess. Like Clara saying the machine was calling out to her? That went nowhere. The monsters were dumb, the idea that a video signal could cause people to turn into dust monsters was dumb too. The show tried to hide the fact that no-one had anything to do by having everything be too frantic but it just didn't work. I feel like Clara's actress gave a bad performance and Capaldi, while good, had ridiculous lines that not even he could sell as being in any way profound. A not good episode all around.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This partially goes back to what I was saying about the daleks at the start of this series, that it's a pity that we've lost the idea that alien races can be heterogeneous as it can add a lot of depth to a story. That's part of the reason why I look much more favourably on The Hungry Earth than most people in the thread - badly written though it is (hurray for the vivisectionist!) it still presents the Silurians as having internal differences and is almost unique in the revival for having that aspect.

Hmm, I thought the revival was pretty good about that actually. Just off the top of my head the fart monsters and the Zygons in this year's two parter were portrayed as having different factions.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

saucerman posted:

Are people objecting to monsters because the US term is "booger"? Or is the concept of monsters made from stuff in your eye in general? Because it's a neat idea, especially for kids.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425&userid=186805&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post452449737

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742425&userid=186805&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post452738660

Speaking as an American who doesn't call them eye boogers I found them to be a dumb concept because its just nonsensical. The whole eye dust is related to sleeping thing is what broke the concept to me, along with all the other sleep related puns, Mr. Sandman and such. If it had just been a people being eaten by their bacteria in general thing it probably could have been a really scary concept but eye crap? Thats just dumb.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

I very rarely do this, but can we please not start talking about personal arguments between fans in this thread? :smith:

Why not, Sandifer is awful and, if what Jerusalem said is true, even worse than already thought.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

It ruined the premise of good, deep criticism and picking apart episodes when he tried to cobble together some false meta-narrative. And of course, part of that narrative was to completely dismiss Big Finish as a dead end product of a time gone by that was imperfect but had a small part in the creation of Perfect Modern Doctor Who, the Platonic Ideal of Who. Granted, I checked out at that point so if he's still going he might have changed up a bit...

Apparently he really, really liked Kill the Moon. To the extent that he called it "THE Doctor Who episode" or some other such thing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HappyCamperGL posted:

She's finally dead. Good.

I read this before watching and thought, "He's probably talking about Clara but it might just be the Master, wouldn't that be great." Then as soon as she showed up I was sure it was going to be Ashildr. I'm disappointed that it was Clara rather than either of those two though I had assumed she was gone at the end of this season. I wonder if they are purposely making Ashildr as unlikable as they are because man she is just an awful recurring character. If its being done purposely then good on them as there will surely be a payoff but if not then nuts.

just_a_guy posted:

And scary Peter capaldi can get really scary. I love Matt smith but his boastfulness always seemed undercut or not effective enough (although I believe that was part of the point the doctor is fallible and all that. But Peter capaldi can real make you feel that whomever he's pissed at is royally screwed

Any of this "I'm THE DOCTOR so you better be scared of me" stuff always comes off as dumb to me. We've seen enough of him to know that that is an idle threat and yet the ridiculous "cool stuff is happening music" is blaring in the background making it sound like he's just did the most amazing thing in the world. That same track played when he decided to help Rigsy too and it didn't work there either.

And furthermore, why did he hand over that will? Ashildr had no physical power over him (all she could do was teleport him, which she had assured him that she would be doing anyway and indeed went right on to do after Clara died,) and keeping the thing from her would have if anything made her reluctant to send him off.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I dunno, that would feel cheap to me too, that raven's supposed to be able to chase you across time and space (which is pretty dumb but I guess with Dr. Who there's always got to be an excuse to not just Tardis away from everything), surely some little stasis chamber wouldn't have a shot.

Ultimately if Clara died in this episode its because the producers wanted her dead and it was going to happen one way or another be it plot related or her tripping over her own feet and falling down a flight of stairs.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Which, historically, has not been what Doctor Who has been.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it not Doctor Who. :mad:

Seriously, most of the first and second Doctor's stories were him arriving somewhere in the Tardis and then not visiting it again until he was ready to leave. Three didn't even have a working one for most of his run.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Never having non-televised Who to go on, I don't think having a Cyberman is too bad, assuming its one from Mondas and not from the other dimension. Cyberization was a gradual process and even in their first appearance (cannonically way later than the early 2000s) they still were basically individuals, just severely mentally ill ones.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Primarily my reason for thinking this is that Clara dying during an adventure, even if she accepted her fate with dignity like she did here, results in a pretty poor overall character arc for her during her time with the 12th Doctor. Danny's heroic sacrifice was done so that she could live, but she seems to have been so scared of moving on with her life/properly mourning and moving on etc that she's instead filled every spare hour she could with adventures and excitement to keep from having to face up to reality. There's been times this season where the Doctor has attempted to address this with her and despite her outward calm and relaxed attitude it's seemed like there is a lot more going on beneath the surface and she's almost desperate to get off the subject. For all that to end with her just dying anyway feels to me like it is cheapening the necessity of Danny's death - he saved the world, but only because it happened to be where Clara was standing at the time. To die to save her only for her to abandon all but the most cursory attention to her regular life and go on a spree of distracting adventures before getting killed herself seems a waste.

As always, the execution of whatever is to come remains to be seen and can put my thoughts and feelings into a whole new context, but as things currently stand I'd consider this "exit" to be excellent as part of the individual episode, but poor in the greater sense of her character's story.

Honestly I didn't want her to die but now that she has I am totally fine with that. I think that having a stupid pointless death does a lot of good sometimes. It does a lot for Ashildr's character, at least from an audience perspective, and, if they play it the right way, the Doctor's too. Honestly it even help's Clara's out a little bit. Her stupid, pointless death occurring just hours after she gleefully dangled herself over London without a care in the world or any safety harnesses is a nice and fulfilling arc to me. Do that poo poo often enough and eventually you'll die a needless death.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

It's going to be another sexy girl whose the most important person in the world to help the Doctor out when he faces his darkest day and greatest trial.

Yeah, its gonna be this, unfortunately. I can't see them having an old man doctor and a not young woman companion.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

saucerman posted:

I'm kinda jealous of people who, a few weeks before work is supposed to start, have no idea how they will be ready in time and still produce a brilliant piece of art.
And then there's The Twelve Doctors.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

But how will he escape without tiny :flame: Hartnell?

Remember, Ian killed what was basically a planet-controlling god by throwing a rock at it. I'm sure he could take care of a fifty foot tall Time Lord without breaking a sweat.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think those episodes actually did a pretty good job on the Zygons, as I said in my initial reaction to it, its the humans who came off as poorly written.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

And More posted:

I disagree. The Doctor's speech was pretty much: "Hey, Bonnie, you don't really know what you want. Zygon rebels are whiny little babies, and need to shut up." Even if the conflict is portrayed well throughout the episode, that last speech really only depicts the Zygon rebels as being wrong about their grievances. Humanity can happily keep on chasing everyone who looks like an alien from their planet, it seems. No need to learn how peaceful coexistence with other cultures works.

I hated the Doctor's speech, but then I hate most of modern Doctor speeches so eeeeeuhhhhh.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

One of the things I liked about Danny Pink as a character is that he wasn't afraid to call the Doctor out on it, and that the show does not exactly portray the Doctor as being in the right during their arguments.

Danny's arguments were even worse than the Doctor's though. He says the Doctor's a soldier and, supposedly, thats a bad thing. But when there's Daleks and Cybermen about you want a soldier. How many of these recent villains have needed killing or, at least a military defeat? In this season we had Missy and the Daleks, the Fisher King, the aliens in the Viking episode, the alien in the France episode, the Zygons and the dust monsters. They were all invading would-be conquerers or mindless killers. With a world like that there's nothing wrong with the Doctor being a soldier.

edit: And its not like this is some new conundrum either. I'm just starting on series 14 of classic and I can't help but marvel as Tom Baker goes into battle with and defeats the Mandragora, saving all of Renaissance Italy from the clutches of some intelligence which turns people into slaves, or whatever the exact plan was. Also, I think this might be the first time I've heard, "I'll explain later." I take it, based on the Curse of Fatal Death, that this would become a recurring theme?

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 28, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

That's not the central message of Doctor Who, though, whose character's catchphrase was, at one point "Typical of the military mind." It's gone through different head writers and directors and eras, but one of the more central tenets is that the Doctor isn't a soldier.

He might not be a soldier all of the time (but sometimes he is!) but from what I've seen (1, 2, 3, two+ seasons of 4 and most of the new series) he's pretty much always been a warrior from 3 onwards, with one being too old for that sort of thing and two being in between. The only difference is he doesn't like taking orders.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I called the prison being the will a little under halfway through, when the walls were moving after he dug in the dirt. Called him being the hybrid too, pretty much immediately. Did not catch the loop aspect though. Didn't much like the random child wandering by, that was a little to bullshit to be believable. Pop up in the desert but who cares, there's a person ten feet away from you. Still a very good episode regardless of me getting the twist, although as a rule I hate any story that relies on the Doctor doing something for a very long time.

Not at all a fan of Ashildr being in the next episode preview. I don't want her to have lived for billions of years, a thousand or so I can believe but surely she'd have hosed up and fallen into an oven or meat grinder eventually.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, TVIV.txt and all, but GOOD GOD, a lot of you intake media the wrong way.

I mean, maybe it's working in (lovely) film off and on since 2001, but so many people focus on exactly the wrong things.

Real life science has absolutely nothing to do with narrative science. When a show tell you something, then pays off another thing based on what it told you, there is ZERO REASON to apply actual physics to, say, the gravity shift of two million years of dead skulls.

I understand. I really do. I, too, used to try to be more clever than the things I watched. I wanted so badly to be smarter than the writers who told me stories. But eventually, I realized that I was just the guy at the magic show folding his arms smugly and turning to everybody around me going, "You all know magic isn't real, right?" Pro wrestling has this subset of fans, too.

Yeah, dude. We all know it's fake. You're the only one acting like we don't all already know it isn't real.

Television and movies operate on their own set of rules, and they change almost every episode. If we're told something is important in the first act, and it's contradicted by actual science, or something said over 45 years ago on the same show, try to forget that. The thing said in the first act is all that matters.

There's just one problem. Doctor Who practically invites the audience to play along and do stuff like this. It makes a season-long arc out of randomly repeating words and trying to have the audience notice it. People have looked at what outfits the Doctor is wearing and came up with a probably correct theory about the whole season being out of order despite the show not pointing the stuff out plainly. Are they doing it wrong? Its pretty clear that the staff making the show put these things there for people to notice, if only on repeat viewing. So would all of those skulls have done something? Probably not. But what if he had woken up on an asteroid solely made of stuff that slowly got drawn in by the disk over a billion years. People'd be slapping themselves on the head going, "I should have thought of the skulls", while others said "I knew those skulls would mean something." Like you, yourself, said, sometimes we are told stuff is important and should pay attention to it, sometimes we aren't. Those skulls cropped up again and again throughout the episode, and not just the one by the teleporter either.

Furthermore, enjoy this related skull spergery. Its interesting, he uses his body as the fuel to regenerate himself, but not all of it as the skull remains (and other parts turn to ash.) So he's using less energy/matter than he is creating. In essence Time Lord cloning machines would make excellent power plants. You could say that he was drawing in outside air or whatever or the will was solar powered or some other sort of bullshit. I'm honestly fine with it, not getting the time loop until the Doctor pointed it out I didn't think of the conservation of skulls until after the episode was over. I was a little surprised though, when the montage started and the sea-floor full of skulls was shown I thought "oh, thats going to rise above the water eventually, neat," but it never did. Presumably because the Doctor would be unable to jump out of the window after that point. I wonder if that was in the original script but cut to preserve the loop without him randomly jumping to his death halfway through.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CommonShore posted:

shucks. I want it now.
Be careful what you wish for!

['';

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm still wondering what someone who has watched Doctor Who thinks of this episode

It sucks!

Yeah, complete garbage from start to finish and I hated basically every second of it. It was hard to top the awfulness of the season openner but this one managed to do it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Also, Danny died with a cleared conscience, whereas of he chose to live he'd continue being traumatized by his past, so his story isn't really too tragic. The fucker who hit him with a car was never addressed once, of course.

The fucker who hit the moron who walked into the middle of the street while texting? Rest in pieces, Danny, you incredibly poorly written and fun destroying character.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, I was so busy saying that I hated Hell Bent that I forgot to mention that I've finished season/series 14 of classic Dr. Who. I was shocked that the Doctor didn't go back for Sarah Jane, her and 4 seem to be such an iconic part of the series that I assumed that they spent more than just two seasons together. Oh well, I am quite enjoying Leela although she's already started becoming "generic female companion" just two serials in. Talons of Weng Chiang was great as was the one before it with the robot workers. Would love to see the Peking humunculus come back as a returning villain sometime. Onto season 15!

edit: In all fairness, now that I think back Danny wasn't actually texting, just talking without looking where he was going.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Remember, the Master really did have a van Tardis back in the day, its totally possible.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope it was a paneled van with a cool barbarian lady spray painted on the side, and not a lame VW bus.

It was a travelling van, he was working as a carnie at the time if I remember correctly. Well, thats the Master for you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also, references to new media will be punished by death.

I want a mid-2000s companion who constantly makes references to myspace, yim and hotmail. Come on, Dr. Who, poke fun at yourself. The old show used to do that.

IceAgeComing posted:

The Keys of Marinus is not a very good story

No, no it is not. But on the other hand it is easy to watch, even good stories (the Daleks, the Aztecs, etc) can get really boring when you have thirty minutes of Ian trying to crawl through a cave or Barbara trying to do something that everyone knows has no chance of working. The single episode nature of Marinus makes it an excellent candidate for modern viewing when compared to other early Who serials.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 9, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Be warned, the animated reconstruction of Reign of Terror is.... not good.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

The spelunking stuff is pretty poorly paced, and watching Ian poo poo on the idea of pacifism is very much a sign of the times it was made.

The show making GBS threads on pacifism was great, one of the best parts of the episode, second only to them exploring the alien landscape in the first episode and any bit of Dalek society/Daleks interacting with eachother. But then I think we've had this exact argument before in either this or another Who thread.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Thankfully you're not trying to defend the entire episode devoted to crossing a 'chasm' that I could walk across without changing stride.

Go back a page, I actually point that out as being a lovely facet of the really old episodes before they settled on 4/6 parters for every serial.

Jerusalem posted:

I believe we have, yes. I understand your argument, I just still find the anti-pacifism stuff a trifle unsettling. Maybe I'd have to watch again, but I recall it being treated like the Thals are in the wrong for even wanting peace with their ancient enemy - maybe that's being unfair of me, but considering that the Thals are the descendants of survivors of a war where both sides almost wiped out all life on their planet, the fact that they've eager for peace and reconciliation was something I would have liked to have been embraced.

At this point its been like a year and a half since I've seen it so I can't argue too definitively but I seem to remember it being more that the show was portraying peace at any cost as wrong. Its not like the serial was pro-war though, I think it did do a lot to talk about how war is bad. The whole first episode is spent exploring the seemingly dead planet-still not recovered from a nuclear war that took place, IIRC, hundreds of years prior. The semi-permanent nature of radiation is a huge plot point throughout the whole serial with the main characters basically falling over and being placed in mortal peril because of it. The Daleks, who were depicted as being in the right in the original war, mutated into beings that needed what was basically a bumper car to move around and were restricted to just that one city where they managed to hold out and not die. The Thals had to live in what I remember as being some sort of hut or tree-house type thing. And finally the final battle was shot in such a way that you were supposed to feel bad for both the Daleks and Thals who died. Despite being a "childrens show", albeit one that at least was trying to educate people, I think most of the concepts in the episode were pretty classic sci-fi.

Looking back on that, I really regret that they degenerated the concept of the Daleks into Nazi Trashcans that were invented all at once by a mad scientist. Yeah, its hard to bring back those "The Daleks" Daleks but I think we could have done better than what we got.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 10, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Daleks' second appearance?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I want to watch some Hartnell but I'm caught between The Romans and The Space Museum. Could someone please recommend one of the two?

Both stories have fun parts but Romans suffers more from early Who padding than Space Museum did, in my opinion. Both have some excellent character moments and might get a smile on your face so pick whichever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dabir posted:

I like it when the show with a central plot element that can go anywhere in time and space does that.

Well in my opinion it usually leads to lazy story telling. Once you introduce time travelling within the story its super easy for the Doctor to just cheese his way out of whatever mess he's in. Being chased by a monster? Get in the Tardis and leave. World going to end in five minutes? You have all of time and space to figure out a way to stop it. Somebody dies? Not on Moffat's watch.

I remember on Rick and Morty once Morty got sick of the adventure and beamed himself home. Then, a second later he beamed himself back, flooded the place with all the monsters and then unflooded it, sucking the monsters out. That was played for a laugh and was pretty funny and Doctor Who hasn't gone that far yet but thats seriously what a lot of these time travel within episode episodes feel like to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

You wanna talk about "lazy storytelling"?

Death is the easiest, simplest, goddamn laziest way to establish lasting consequences or "shake things up".

Changing the status quo without killing off a character or characters forever, that takes work. How do you force Clara and the Doctor to part ways without resorting to Women-in-Refrigerators garbage? How do you separate their stories without cutting one short?

Hell Bent is all about resolving that. It's about declaring Clara's death in Raven to be insufficient.

Of course, if you refuse to consider Clara to be a valuable character, I can see why that might frustrate you. But heads up: you're wrong, Clara owns.

If it was a random death by monster then yeah it would be lazy, but it wasn't. It was an in character death that had a lot to say about Clara's character in particular and the Doctor/companion relationship in general. Her story wasn't cut short, it was completed. It got a good end. And since the characters in all likelihood aren't going to show up on Dr. Who again it is ending her story, even if it leaves her alive. Its just a lazy, generic fanfiction end. You say her dying is insufficient? I say her living is, its running away from the theme that risking your life has consequences, undoes the idea that the Doctor really is out there putting his life on the line when he has these crazy ideas. And as far as saying something about the Doctor, its much less interesting than the hanging out with a dead person red herring they had set up.

Clara could have owned if it weren't for the fact that she was rarely written well, but then thats just par for the course for the last couple years of the show, isn't it.

• Locked thread