Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EccoRaven posted:

when does the new episode air? really soon, right?

7.40 pm in the UK. So in about 50 minutes, right after pointless celebrities. Which I would argue is far from the worst lead in Who has had, but thematically isnt a patch on that thing with the nightmarish robot rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

As cold openings go, I like it. Those hands are legit a bit creepy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Today I will be talking ot you from the square window; A lovely reference that will fly over the heads of young people and colonials.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Michele Gomez is fantastic. That is all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Like, while its really obvious that the deaths and destruction of the Tardis will get rolled back, it would be hilarious if that was the last we ever saw of Clara.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MikeJF posted:

As a colonial, using the square window just solidifies her as evil. Arch Window 4 lyfe.

You sir can stay. You have good opinions.

I enjoyed that episode. It wasnt exactly plot heavy, but I enjoyed the things that happened one after another. My main critisim would be that the guitar bit went on just a little too long and should have been shaved down a bit. As always with a 2 parter I am reserving overall judgement until after I've seen the whole thing, but unless it fumbles the second half really badly I think I'm still going to be positive about this one or at worst neutral.

I am amused by people who think that Missys plan was over-complicated to just get to talk to Clara. Of course it was, Missy is still after all the Master, we should just be grateful that she wasnt inexplicably in yellowface.

MisterBibs posted:

Oh goddammit I owe my girlfriend five bucks, because noticed it, I didn't, and I said "there's no way they'd let an actress tickle Dalek Bumps."

Just say it; She was tickling its balls. That is the joke they were going for, why be coy now?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Acne Rain posted:

all things aside and having the usual mess of too many ideas, this was a fun ride that probably won't hold up to a second viewing but I have just one question. Just one.

Why does davros have a guy made of snakes

The real question is; Why dont you?

I'm just kind of glad he was made of snakes. When he was gliding around I was halfway convinced he was going to be revealed to be wearing roller blades.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Michelle Gomez continues to own bones.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, I'll be the one to say it; Clara has better chemistry with Missy than she ever did with the Doctor.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Now that we've seen both episodes, I'm not quite sure how well they hold up as a complete story, both felt very distinct from each other despite being one story. That said, I thought the second was stronger than the first, mostly because it included a number of excellent one-on-one scenes either between the Doctor and Davros or the Master and Clara.

The stuff where we see how a Dalek's speech is interpreted was really fantastic too.

Yeah, I enjoyed the first part as a piece of fluffy nonsense that passed 45 minutes well enough, but as a 2 parter its disjjointed at best. This weeks was much better as a coherent episode.

Dubious about the sonic shades. Okay as a one off thing, but I dont think it would work if its continued as his sonic device. Although it would be hilarious if while wearing them he cant see anything which is made of wood.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Attitude Indicator posted:

if you assume someone is allready invested in what you're writing you are probably going to end up writing poo poo.

So, given a 2 episode story, how long do you think they should have spent giving background information for the master, davros and the daleks? Should the Doctor and Clara also get introductions in case the viewers don't know who they are either?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That was an okay episode. The ghosts looked spooky enough, but apart from that I didnt see anything about it to really love or really hate. Not a massive fan of travelling back in time during the episode to get a resolution, but it depends how the resolution comes off, as with most stuff. So yeah, a decent enough if unremarkable episode.

Acne Rain posted:

The Tardis at least since the beginning of the revival onwards has been shown to be alive and intelligent (maybe in the classic too idk) 2) That living machine has

If I remember right the second story of the classic series at least implies that the TARDIS was capable of independent thoughts and actions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

qntm posted:

Mainly because this totally breaks an incredible number of stories! Usually some kind of "We're part of events now!"-esque excuse gets invented to explain why it's not possible to do this. And/or the TARDIS gets isolated from everybody else. I was honestly slightly surprised that this didn't happen this time around.

Unrelatedly, have I missed something or is there no hyper-obvious recurring season-long arc thingy developing just yet?

Yeah, I was kind of against the idea (because then it becomes an easy bill and teds bogus journey solution to a lot of problems) but I think i'm okay with it in this particular case; he isnt going to the past to fix things, just to get information. He's going far back enough that he cant set up the cage and the key and the net and the gun because the base wont exist yet.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Its like the end of a GI Joe cartoon, except explaining a time travel paradox instead of reminding us not to talk to strangers.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Goddammit I was literally just saying "I like angry scottish lassie. Can we ditch clara and keep her?" when she went and died.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

All in all I thought that was an okay to decent two parter. I'm still not massively keen on too much time travel in the middle of the story (which is about a time travelling alien, I never said it was a rational dislike) but it worked okay.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaz-L posted:

Who was it that got pissed and decided to go and see a play with a random stranger, before elbowing the dude in the ribs in the second act and going, "Oh, this bit's great, it's the part where I come on- gently caress!"?

I *think* I heard that story about Peter O'Toole, but gently caress it, could be one of a hundred drunken thesps.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

redreader posted:

This is the best doctor but the worst writing. gently caress this season. Doctor who needs to stop being on TV, it's awful. Here's Dr. Who:

Have you considered just not watching it? I mean, I loathe gotham but I'm cool just not watching it, and the people who for some bizarre reason enjoy it can continue to watch their awful show. Like if you hate current who enough to want it cancelled entirely then no-one is forcing you to waste an hour of your saturday on a show you hate*. If you hear its changed into something more like a show you would enjoy you can always catch up anything you miss, or come back here and someone will recommend what episodes you *need* to watch to understand the new status quo or whatever. I'm up and down on capaldis doctor so far, there are episodes I like and episodes I dont, but if I found myself consistantly that angry about the show I'd walk away from it and never look back.

*Unless they are. If they are and you need us to send help then "accidently" double post. We'll know what you mean.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thrawn527 posted:

We're 4 episodes into the season. Someone is absolutely allowed to complain about a show they love having a bad start to a season without having to give up on the show. He didn't say he hates the show. He said he's hating this season. Which is less than half way done.

Yep, people are obviously allowed to dislike the season. I'm 50/50 on it myself. But he said, as I believe I quoted, "Doctor who needs to stop being on TV". My point is basically "I dont like this season and wish it was better" is absolutely a valid opinion. "I dont like this season and it shouldn't be on TV" is the opinion of a giant entitled baby who thinks that their taste is the only valid one and should be imposed on everyone else. If you legit think that a show shouldnt be on TV then its super easy to pretend its not, the TV has other channels. In most places more than one even!

in essence;

thrawn527 posted:

Like, I don't give a poo poo about steam punk this season of doctor who, but that just means I don't give a poo poo about it. People can like what they like.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thunderfinger posted:

How long does this dancing show usually last so I know when to tune back in to this live stream I'm following?

It never ends. It is eternal and terrible. But who is on in about an hour and 5 minutes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RIP sonic shades. Taken from us before their joke could overstay its welcome!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Deathtrap destroys persson but leaves hat to fall to ground +5 points. Doesnt also leave smoking boots -20 points.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"By this time tomorrow we will all be dead." Well, you would assume that, you're used to game of thrones.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If I''m going to nit-pick, and I let the horned helmets pass without comment so I feel entitled to at least one nitpick, I'm pretty sure that electric eels are native to south america rather than some random scandiwegian fishing village.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Once again I thought that was another okay to decent episode. Doubt it'll be anyones favourite, but it there wasnt anything particularly bad in it either.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Maybe one day we'll get audio adventures of Ashildr, Captain Jack and the Last Centurion immortalling their way through history.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thespaceinvader posted:

why were the power armoured laser-wielding strongest warriors in the galaxy SCARED of a snake?

Why is the dominant life form on this planet scared of spiders/snakes/the dark/goddamn clowns?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thespaceinvader posted:

They were in power armour with lasers. The snake was a snake. The dominant species is scared of clowns, but we're a lot less scared when we're in tanks.

I know plenty people who would throw a tank they were driing into reverse if they saw a regular spider, let alone one bigger than the tank they were driving.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I have a feeling that the TARDIS will have some sort of unavoidable field that shuts down the healing device, just the way he keeps pulling faces when she says she wants to go with him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone who doesnt turn keytones off on their phone deserves to be murdered by shapechanging aliens to be honest.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jeez episode, do you want to outright state your themes again in case anyone might have missed them?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"I know how to move this episode along, write Clara like an absolute moron"

That is entirely in character for Clara; Absolute moron, terrible teacher.

Edit; And here is the beheading video just to make sure no-one has missed what they are going for.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 31, 2015

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If thats really Clara, and not a Zygon, having made the switch in the asian families flat, I will be slightly suprised.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Why was the only 2 options "kill the unarmed beings" and "Go inside"? Wasnt "Take them prisoner at gunpoint and move them out of the village" an option? That way if they were hostages you saved them, if they were hostile you captured them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Even if this wasnt massively tone deaf and stupid on a number of levels, the episode has pretty much zero flow from scene to scene. Splitting off the companion to have them and the doctor doing seperate things can work really well, but something here just isnt working at all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Called it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I'll have to give it a bit of time to settle, but at this point I reckon thats a good contender for the worst episode of Doctor Who of all time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DoctorWhat posted:

I half-expect that the whole "Double" status quo is gonna be abandoned at the end of this. That forcing the Zygons to assimilate will no longer be something the Doctor endorses.

Or that something very different is going on than has been portrayed. There's a lot going on in the word "Inversion", is all I'm saying.

They werent forced to assimilate by the evil nasty humans imposing terrible conditions. They negotiated a treaty that, as the "previously on" reiterated, was explicitly stated to be the fairest treaty possible, with neither side knowing which side they were negotiating for. So the message here is explicitly "They wont be satisfied with a fair compromise or keep their word even if we have come to an understanding".

There is no second episode that makes what we just watched a good episode. If the second part is the best thing ever shown on television then it doesnt make this 2 good episodes, it makes a story where the first half is loving terrible and tone deaf with a good back half. It would still be a horrendous episode followed by a great episode (and given that of the 2 episodes we have seen from this writer so far, 1 is bad and one is terrible I'm not confident that swing number 3 will be the one that finally connects). Apart from anything else "There is a week between the first half and second half" isnt exactly a loving suprise, so the writer must have known that this was going to be judged initially in isolation, and in isolation the message of this episode that we are shown on screen is loving reprehensible. If we had 45 minutes of the doctor staring directly in the camera and screaming racial slurs, followed a week later by an episode where in the last 25 minutes the doctor reveals that racial slurs are a bad thing and that he was only doing that to root out the REAL racists, that wouldnt retroactively make the first part a good episode of doctor who.

A few people have defended the episode by pointing out that it was said on screen that "the bad ones are a small minority", but I'd counter that while that was mentioned quietly maybe twice, it was overwhelmed by what we were shown on screen ("Show dont tell" as television is primarily a visual medium). We were shown precisely 2 "good" zygons who refused to accept help, and then the good ones were shown to be unable to deal with the extremists in their community. All the other zygons we were shown were dangerous infiltrators who were going ot destroy our society from the inside. They seamlessly switched from "Its a small minority" to "there are 20 million zygons (all of whom are implicated in this).

The doctor (who is I'm sure most would agree generally supposed to be the moral authority in most episodes) appears to accept that (although he still doesnt accept there should be a genocide) the only thing to be done is to kill all the "bad ones". The drone strike on the town isnt stopped because the doctor makes an effort to disrupt it, he just stands around looking on. Rather than pointing out that capturing the zygons/hostages at the church and calling off the air strike would be both the smart and the humanitarian thing to do he stands around without complaint as orders are given to gun down unarmed beings, and then as humans are lured into the church and killed (unintended message number 73 in this episode; They dont respect your places of worship and will hide behind them to get away with their atrocities). The Doctor going along with this poo poo gives the impression that he regrets the necessity but accepts that this is the way to deal with them.

For the record I also dont think the writer is a right wing racist islamophobe. I think he is a terrible terrible writer who is trying to have doctor who deal with serious issues that he is in no way qualified to write about and is doing a spectacularly terrible job at it. I honestly believe that if he had set out to write a dire xenophobic warning about multiculturalism and how at the end of the day they are just the wrong colour and you cant trust 'em we'd right now be discussing what an overtly liberal utopian episode we just watched. Even if this episode hadnt been (almost certainly unintentionally) xenophobic as all hell, the dialogue, story beats, everything was clunky as gently caress. Some people arent cut out for some jobs, and I'm sure the writer has things he is good at, but writing for who is not one of his skills.

I've slept on it, and I'm now comfertable saying that as far as I'm concerned that was the worst episode of doctor who ever aired, any era. And before someone says "But what about...", yes, including that. That was bad, this was worse. And I'm generally fairly positive about most episodes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Captain Fargle posted:

Okay question for you folks. Do you have a problem with the fact that the show tackled this issue at all or the fact that they didn't handle it better?.

Honestly, I think that shows like Who CAN tackle real world issues like this. But when its an emotive issue (and particularly a CURRENT issue) you have to think long and hard about the message you are trying to send, and your script has to be on point. gently caress up getting your themes across effectively an episode about the power of love or whatever and its a bad/mediocre episode that is lost in the shuffle. Not so much if you gently caress up a script so badly that it essentially says "Muslims are the enemy within!" (and even with the forthcoming "most of the evil stuff you saw this week was actually humans, most of the victims were in fact Zygons!" twist next week, that was still the message of this episode in isolation).

So if this had been handled well I'd be applauding a brave script. But the thing with big risks like that is if it works you are brave. If it fails you are a loving idiot.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This is better than last week, in that it is turgid dreary nothing of an episode instead of a UKIP doctor who fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So, good things about the episode; We didnt have any characters shouting directly at the viewer "ALL RAG'EADS ARE POTENTIAL TERRORISTS" which was a very real possiblity after last week. "2000 years old. I'm old enough to be your messiah" was a good line. Thats pretty much it. I really hope that the writer of these 2 episodes never comes near doctor who again because although I'm sure hes a nice man with some skills in some area, and writing for who is clearly something he wants to be good at, but sometimes we have to accept that we arent good at something, and jesus jumped up christ hes no good at writing who.

• Locked thread