Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I like new thread. New threads are cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Tom Baker Special Offer @ Big Finish:
http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/special-offers-on-tom-baker-at-big-finish

First 2 seasons of the 4th Doctor Adventures are on sale.
1st Season with Leela for 12 moneys and
2nd season with Romana I for 15 moneys.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

jivjov posted:

Is there something I'm not understanding...or is it cheaper to buy both series' individually than it is to buy them together?

£12 for Series 1, £15 for Series 2, which adds up to £27

Or buy them both at once for £45??

That includes the 4th Doctor Box set, with two "lost stories" from tv-days. They just forgot to write that in. It's 25 £€ individually.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Hopper posted:

Is this where I can complain that I hate the stupid sunglasses and was hoping they were gone after he broke them?
Am I missing a major joke here or did they use a pair of unwieldy sunglasses to replace a very iconic piece of tech? Next they will replace the TARDIS with a space tourbus....

Oh please! a Time and Space tour-bus.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

CobiWann posted:

I...I don't want to review this one, guys. :eng99:

We will also accept an audio-review of same or higher value. (so anything else!)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

2house2fly posted:

The Doctor's big speech definitely missed the mark for me, very much a middle class British man's perspective on war and terrorism. Maybe he is kind of an officer after all!

You missed the conclusion of the previous season.
He's a madman with a box... or two boxes in this episode.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

CobiWann posted:

It's just too pat. For a two-parter that drops a whole lot of anvils about the topic of xenophobia, assimilation, and terrorism as a means to an end, the conclusion just plays it a little too safe. There should have been more to the negotiations, or perhaps some mention of peaceful protests/ongoing discussions by the Zygons to ensure their voices are heard. Instead, all of their (somewhat legitimate) demands are dropped by both sides, and they're just going go their merry way and everything will be all sunshine and rainbows...

...just like the fifteen times before?

Is everyone else reading the fifteen times like this?

My take on the Fifteen times is that the Doctor Redid his argument and monologue fifteen times, until he got it right and convinced both sides that the peace is the answer.
The room can't wipe the whole worlds memory of a Zygon uprising. It can wipe only those who are physically in the room, thus 15 retakes of the argument.

Basically Doctor Save-Scummed all the dialogue options for the win.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I agree with Jerusalems recommendations. If you're more budget conscious, the first 50 monthly releases are 2.99 £/$/€ each so try one of them.

edit:
On other Big Finish news:
http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-big-200-choose-your-number-one-doctor-who-main-range-release
You can vote for the Spare Parts as the best Monthly release. There might be 19 other candidates.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 10, 2015

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

It was a fun little Concept-episode (with capital C) that didn't overstay its welcome.
I was 100% sure that this was a two-parter episode, until the next episode reel started.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

NowonSA posted:

The entire thing was set up to create a constant situation. The Doctor always has the same memories and experiences, and he always responds the same way to the same stimuli. That stimuli (The rooms and the veil monster) never change because they're always resetting. It's a bit like re-watching a Who episode, it's always going to play out the same way. The only significant changes along the way are him noticing an increasingly large passage of time, presumably seeing more and more skulls, and the increasingly big hole in the diamond wall.

To think of it another way, if you were in a groundhog day situation where you were constantly reliving the same day but you had no knowledge or memory to inform you that was the case, you'd do all the same stuff in the same way and at the same time. The Doctor just encounters enough clues to realize he is in a loop and uses that fact to beat a system that is very heavily rigged against him.

It's very poor system if the eventual purpose of the castle is to interrogate the Doctor. He'll just give exactly the same answers each and every time.
Now if the goal was to punish him eternally, it was working perfectly until he Brute forced it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Hopefully they'll branch out and have a Sonic Glove, Sonic Cane or a Sonic Ring.

Edit: a Sonic Guitar is a step too far.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

BSam posted:

It does work quite well, the first couple of times I did go back to time track 1, but i couldn't be bothered eventually. Soon it breaks down and you really aren't meant to anyway. Was certainly fun.

Someone actually went back to the start? The narrator always heavily implies that you should have picked the correct answer x (Wink wink nudge nudge)

As a choose your own adventure, it is very disappointing.
Every choice is between continuing story or Resetting the story. No real branching out and the correct answer was always: "Do nothing" or "Do as villain says" and never anything interesting.

As a story it was mildly amusing. As interactive fiction it was really lacking.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

EricFate posted:

Right.

After “The Angels Take Manhattan” before “Silence In The Library”/“Forest Of The Dead.”

The sonic screwdriver that he gives her is the one that the 10th Doctor eventually uses to turn her into a 'backup save' at the Library. The next time they meet will be his first encounter with her, and her last with him. At least in physical form.

Maybe. There's always room for one more adventure with River. Or dozen adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-special-offers-on-charlotte-pollard

There's a sell for 6th doctor & Charlie audios. 5 Moneys each.
I hear that they're pretty good.

• Locked thread