Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here comes the Who, it's been a long cold lonely winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just fell about laughing at the entrance on the tank with the guitar hero act. Like that isn't every actor's dream :allears: I'm probably wildy over-estimating Moffat but he seems to be going for as much visual metaphor for internal conflict as he possibly can and it is indeed a mess, but hey we get Missy back.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

kant posted:

Nope. It was one of the best scenes in the history of Doctor Who.

There'll be a bunch of ex-Doctors muttering "Well I could have done a guitar solo on a tank if you'd only asked". Tennant: "I would have done it but more Scottishly!". Smith: "I would have done it with a great scarf!" McGann: "I could have done it when I had the bloody hair!" Eccleston: "At least wear some kind of uniform and shoot everyone with the guitar!" McCoy: "No somesaults, that was the problem with the performance" Baker: "I had the perfect glam act and you wasted it!" Davison: "Maybe with a cricket bat instead?"

Tom Baker: "Ahahahaha...no. What about a nice flute or something?"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Almost forgot the most important gif of all.

Proving beyond all doubt that the Master was always a brazen hussy :D There's some fun characterization going on in her conversations with Clara, continuing a theme of "bizarre ways Time Lords relate that we really don't want to understand".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Speaking as a Scott myself I'm not quite sure how much more Scottish you can be than riding into middle ages Essex in a tank and casually causing time paradoxes with puns, lexicon and electric guitar solos whilst on what is essentially an "Oh gently caress, I'm going to die" bender (We need to see more of those, Ten's was largly off screen but it sounded like a blast :allears:)

Tennant would do it in a kilt and mangle a Glaswegian accent.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

^^^^^ This is just awesome news. Please let it be the adventures of Doctor Donna.

computer parts posted:

The Doctor regenerates into a quipping half Asian (by name only) girl with Kung Fu Powers.

And everybody dies.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

As much as I give Doctor Who a lot of leeway, that just seemed to be a highly amusing sitcom. The scifi is just nonsensical trappings, a riff on old material. I'll watch it again for the Missy/Clara bits, but I think you can dispense with the rest.

Also Jerusalem, there is one highly phallic shot of the Doctor with his penis Dalek laser that is a must-gif.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh Doctor, what a big laser you have...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

I could honestly watch a full season of Missy having adventures while her companion Clara tries desperately to dodge increasingly convoluted schemes to murder her

This. Pretty funny to have Clara hanging upside down while sharpening a stick for no reason other than entertainment when she regained consciousness.

RunAndGun posted:

I wonder if Moffat made a mistake and he meant to have Missy say "Dwarf Star Alloy" instead of the stated "Dark Star Alloy".

Dark Star is a much-loved cult space movie. Even if inadvertent, it's a funny reference.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Did anyone else get a Waters of Mars vibe from the ghost guys? The cards really surprised me, it was a great callback to the communication theme of Capaldi's Doctor.

One dumb dialogue note, right at the beginning they step out of the Tardis and Clara asks if the base has a crew. Wondering if there's a crew makes more sense than asking a dumb question of someone who obviously doesn't know.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Random Thoughts
- Still love the sonic sunglasses. I make no apologies.

Now he's just screwing them into consoles because of course that just works. God knows what he's going to do with them next.

Good summary; I think the cold open makes sense best thought of as an attempt to approach how alien the Doctor's logic is. I think he understands perfectly well what the answer to the paradox is but it's not something a human mind can encompass. This makes the scene where he warns Clara that she can ever match his level make more sense; reinforced by Clara's insistence in the second part that what makes sense for her right now is the Doctor's survival. It contrasts a human's emotional logic verses a Time Lords unemotional logic. I've always thought Time Lords could live both sides of a time paradox anyway, and this is the best explanation for me of this admittedly clunky script. But Capaldi could talk all day to me like that as the Doctor, let's just have a whole episode of that instead.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

When the Doctor first started having those Pompeii flashbacks and figuring out what he was supposed to do, I was kinda ready for the revival to be some kinda last minute bullshit that would be sweet but not that well thought out- like Evolution of the Daleks. Instead, the entire scene wasn't him being sad that Ashildr was dead and that he couldn't save her and that was "defeat", but rather him knowing he could save her but at the cost of making her immortal. That it was about making that decision.

The episode is all about why the Doctor makes decisions, I really like that focus. It's strange to me that Clara wouldn't have worked this out by now though, it's not as if two regenerations of Doctor haven't been trying to get it through to her. But nice to bring Pompeii back into it. Horns are on Viking helmets because they're funny, not there to personally gently caress with people who read a book once (although that would be funnier). Also the Doctor is a telepath, why not use that to "speak baby" even if we smudge over the translation bits? Doctor Who has never made hard scifi sense anyway.

There were two great lines in this ep:

"Immortality isn't about living forever, but everybody else dying." Speaks volumes about the Doctor.

"What is a god but the cattle's name for farmer? What is heaven but the gilded door of the abattoir?" Ouch.

Clara's answer to that last one is nice and straightforward: "You're not a god, you're a thief, caught in the act." Iceburn!

Hope that level of greatness continues for part 2!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Pretty sure you're mistaken. They never use the oubliette.

No, not the mind probe!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welp this episode jumps the Zygon. Maybe the next one will jump a human and we'll feel balanced. I doubt it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Osgood's magic box is the only hope for saving this premise, and also humanity.

It's always a deux ex machina in a box. It better not be a dream, that would really be awful.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rochallor posted:

It's not a requirement of revolutionaries to have a plan for the future. If all revolutions had to have fully plotted out roadmaps for after the revolution's done we'd never get anywhere. That was one of the bits of the speech that fell flat for me, even though Capaldi sold the hell out of it. After all, the Zygons have a point.

Many successful revolutionaries do and have had plans, but often quickly fall back on tyranny as the easy option. That was the point.

Angela Christine posted:

I wonder if the 2 little girls in the High Command were actually the leaders of the previous revolution? lol.

That makes more sense than this two-parter did. If most of all that was to set up for the speech, what a shonky job is all I can say. Nor do I think it would really convince anyone serious. Kate backs down because she knows what the Doctor means, why would a Zygon give two hoots? Why indeed would a revolutionary Zygon insist on a human name, that's like a slave insisting on their slave name. A bad collection of get-outs and fudges in the service of a not so bad idea.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

If its middle class to perform critical thinking then thank god for the middle class. I assume the working class solution was genocide and the upper class solution was to get the working class to perform the genocide.

Or you could say that genocide is the upper class solution, and they get the working class to do it. The working class only resort to genocide themselves when they're tired of the upper class screwing them over in between genocides. Meanwhile the middle class wring their hands over it all and get genocided by the other two classes at every opportunity.

Jsor posted:

It's kind of just "not even wrong". Yeah, the Doctor has a legitimate point, the violence the Zygon rebellion used was reprehensible. But even in this episode all the focus was on the uprising aspect and they pretty much swept the entire rebellion's actual concerns under the rug in order to lecture them about how their way of accomplishing that objective was dumb. It was framed as "cry me a river, you used violence so you lose all right to have concerns."

Partly that for me, but I also felt I was being clobbered by a :smugdog: conclusion to a bunch of tabloid posturing from episode 1 which actually made the inversion less believable and actually shameless. Capaldi is turning into another Smith, doing a terrific job of interpreting a mess, only now it's an extended mess.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just let Zygons be Zygons. If you think about it, that's the simplest message of a simplistic 2-parter. Glad someone pointed out how a plane can be shot down but it's ok the Doctor had a Union Jack parachute.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Burkion posted:

But now we just have both of them back again. So that whole thing about SOME ONE YOU LIKE IS GOING TO DIE was a load of bullshit in just about every single way possible. Way to undermine everything Doctor Who stick to that status quo!

Well now you have to wonder, "oh did the Master kill off a Zygon and knew it? Is that a good thing? Will she have to finish the job later so we have more Osgood?"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Calling it now: Clara wakes up and swears never to have a marathon Portal, Doom, System Shock and Alien: Isolation session ever again.

Glad someone else felt like that, ugh. The Sandman musical pun was quite the sledgehammer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Exactly, although Diagon Alley made me laugh. A good episode but I'm really over the tear-jerking music crescendos. Well, she didn't eat as much as Adric and she was more responsible than most companions, she should have had a life. But this is why we can't have nice things.

Ofaloaf posted:

Everything before then was fine., but by halfway through the death scene I was mumbling "die already" under my breath while I watched.

Yeah, life isn't like that, most people don't even get to say goodbye properly let alone be dramatic about it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite bit is when Condo is lightly touching Sarah-Jane and Solon (Philip Madoc :swoon:) is allowing it, and then she groans and he very quietly snaps,"Okay stop that, she doesn't like it."

I love how the Doc keeps cracking wise to the Sisters and winding them up: "No Sorin, I'm delighted to see you, that music was terrible!" :v: :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He CREATED THIS WORLDDDDD

I did Pyramids of Mars, Osirians are mean and they have spooky chair-hands.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Picklepuss posted:

My brother made this image immediately after Name of the Doctor went out:

Genius! He should do a Key of Time series with Clara saving Tom from everything :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And More posted:

I'm almost expecting this to turn into a bootstrap paradox. He hands over the confession dial to Ashildr who sends him into the confession dial which he hands over again.

That makes sense, given that bootstrap paradoxes were the point of a whole episode.

This episode was Quake meets The Prestige. Yes, it's a magic trick, no it's not real, but that's not the point. Abracadabra.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Greyhawk posted:

A Doctor Who episode in Meet the Feebles style would be awesome.

There will be an evil potato trying to take the TARDIS back, precious.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ahahahaha. I watched Brain of Morbius again with the commentary, and they made many good points about the production values:

- A more darkly lit set actually made it more believable.
- All hail Bob Holmes!
- Real fire near a leading actor in a studio for extra thrill points
- Elizabeth Sladen was at pains to praise the pace of old Who vs NuWho
- Tom Baker laughing at all the sarcastic one-liners including his own ad-libs.
- No one knows all of the girls who played the Mara are because the detailed production notes were destroyed deliberately by the BBC as a matter of policy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also like the one Lis Sladen, Nicholas Courtney, Mark Strickson and somebody else (to my shame I can't remember who it was and it's probably really obvious) did for that story where they go really quiet at the bit where the Castellan's arrested, then all join in to chorus, "No! Not the mind probe!"

That's 5 Doctors, special edition.

Another one for great commentaries is the Key To Time boxset. Too many great moments to quote, all I'll say is that Mary Tamm is the best Romana :colbert:

And just about any 5th Doctor ep you care to mention, which usually features most companions. They never let up on each other for a second.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is the Doctor Who you get when you really don't give a poo poo any more and find plots too difficult to finish so why bother. Guess I'll be going back to classic Who, at least then they knew how stories work.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I'd say it's more the Doctor Who you get when you spend all your energy writing one of the best episodes of the series and then belatedly remember that that was just the penultimate episode and you still have to write the finale.

I'd say you've got a point there. It's definitely not the Doctor Who you're supposed to automatically "get" or gtfo of Who nerds playhouse, because gently caress explanations of bad writing, right.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

well, seasons over. it ended with everyone letting out a long, loud and confused fart, while moffat jumped around slapping his dick on the pages of the script.

Two MacGuffins walked into a deux ex machina...you finish the joke.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CommonShore posted:

The next companion should be a bass player.

Good thinking. You realize Strax will want to play drums now, don't you. I miss that potato.

Amppelix posted:

I'm just seeing the horrible future in which every companion is more important than the last and the farewells continue getting more drawn out and contrived.

I'm fairly disgusted that Clara has a dramatic death and then doesn't and then wants the death after all and then 'Cake and Eat It' Moffat decides "oh no she gets to have adventures with MaGuffin No 2. in a deux ex machina doing stuff", destroying the point entirely. Oh and Time and/or the Universe is fractured, except it's not because so there, how juvenile a conclusion can you get outside of fanfiction? Might as well put her in another universe if you can't handle the simple task of writing out a character.

It's like the bad bits of 11 again where I love the Doctor and everything else is garbage I have to put up with to enjoy his performance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oooh could he be pretending to forget Clara so he can play gotcha at the end of the universe? Y'know, so Moffat has something to do with the cake he's not eating yet?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

You are literally making up bad stories you think Moffat will write to prove your point that he's a bad writer.

Because pretending would be bad but a more convoluted less believable reason would be better? Ok, sure. Just don't say you weren't warned. Also I didn't say he was a bad writer, he's just lazy and he can do better, because we've seen it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Tom Baker is the Doctor in The Brain of Morbius.

Nice work, this episode is great for several reasons: the story fits the format, it doesn't feel stretched or compressed; SJS has important agency in a Who-era that didn't often feature it; that nice contrast between the worst of what science and belief has to offer; and finally, the Doctor's use of stupidity/humour as a tactical weapon, so important to later Doctors.

Also, the Sisterhood is a resource that should be used carefully by later writers, and this hasn't always been the case; here you understand perfectly why the Doctor would want to be shot of the whole sector, they're nutters just like the Time Lords.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CobiWann posted:

That's a good tradition!

For me, it's a candlelit service, Die Hard, an early bed and an early rise, and listening to The Chimes of Midnight during the ride to and from my in-laws house.

I can't Die Hard so I will have to have Good Who Christmas Day, The Deadly Assassin!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Got around to the Xmas episode, surprisingly good. It actually made sense, and a nice turnabout. Moffat is a frustratingly uneven showrunner.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jellybaby!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Strapped in for Robots of Death, 2 good moments so far: I recognized the great Russell Hunter when he says Nooo to his robot opponent, it's pure Lonely (for the kids, there was this amazing show called Callan back in tv prehistory, and Lonely was the sidekick). And the way Louise Jameson delivers the line "that's silly" - I had to stop and laugh my head off.

Re the 2-parters, I'm with the great idea, poor execution crowd. It doesn't excuse the self-indulgent ideas and poor plots. No amount of build up excuses Hell Bent. I keep flashing back to that most useless of characters, the High Priestess whinging how the Doctor is always running away, and who wouldn't from that crackpot, which makes the whole point of the line redundant, much like half the episode.

• Locked thread