Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have long ago reconciled that new Doctor Who is a big dumb spectacle. Occasionally it rises above that, and when it does it is great, but I am fine with the big dumb spectacle I have come to expect. Having been on a long slow watch of the original show, I have decided that a big dumb spectacle is preferable to just dumb, as sometimes the old show could be. Not to say I don't like the old show, I do, I really like it in fact, but when it is bad it is bad in a manner that makes it hard to pay attention.

I like the new Master a lot. She is the perfect conciliation of the new show's manic master and the old show's weirdly friendly arch villain Master, attempting to cut a deal with the Daleks nearly gave me flashbacks.

Peter Capaldi is great.

I have just finished watching Attack of the Cybermen, and I am beginning to see the point of the censors who were so opposed to the violence in the show at this time, The Doctor fucks up some Cybermen and he isn't the only one. Ever since the five Doctors, Cybermen seem to exist only to be ripped to shreds graphically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think there needs to be a level of comfort with adventuring in companions just so they don't become irritating, but that level should not be as high as it has become. Too little comfort with adventuring is what hurts the Fifth Doctors early run a lot, as Tegan, Nyssa, Adric, and Turlogh never stop complaining, it was such a relief when right before the Five Doctors Tegan and Turlogh finally just decided they wanted to keep adventuring, screw going home.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Occasionally he like to hit the random button.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Well have we had a villain who rolls around on 60's roller skates like a drive in employee?

Ah yes, the Terrible Zodin.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Trial of a Time Lord has episode ending cliffhangers that take place before the now of the story.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Peter Gabriel solo is better still.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My continued watch of Trial of the Time lords has led me to the Doctor's first encounter with hand mines, in the Matrix.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Insinuating that he went on the run from Gallifrey because of some Dalek Time Lord Hybrid prophesy is stupid, he didn't even recognize the drat things the first time he met them. The Daleks even successfully laid on enough charm to trick the Tardis crew for a while.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I am a big fan of the way the show looked during the black and white days, as I feel it helped the shaky sets look more real than they ever did in the highly lit garishly painted late 70's and 80's, but on the other hand, sometimes the lack of any footage at all seems a boon to the show. The last episode of "The Dalek's Master plan" feels and sounds absolutely horrifying in a way that likely would not have carried over if I could have actually seen what was going on. That aside, I actually kind of dread Dalek episodes in the new Who, as they have never attained the high of the very first Dalek episode of the new series, and in all honesty, that episode had a lot of problems itself.

False Edit: Same with Cybermen in all honesty,. I feel like every time this show brings back either of the old show's big bad's, it is to diminishing returns.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kikka posted:

Also, talking about favorite Cybermen, mine is the one that gives the Doctor a badass shoulder massage.

I find it amusing that they went that far to avoid showing someone being choked, yet they wallow in Cybergore in every appearance they have from "The Five Doctors" up. I mean one guy just unloads bullets into a Cybermans mouth hole from point blank range.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

...when was this?

42:20 here shows it. I honestly remember it being worse than it is, but this whole serial is filled with cyberman decapitations and such.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrcylh_attack-of-the-cybermen-1-of-2_shortfilms

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 30, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The glasses make more sense for when the sonic is used as a Star Trek Tricorder. It was always a little strange when he would look at his screwdriver and dole out extended technobabble and such.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cloister Bell means catastrophic danger. If it is ringing, things are bad.

To be fair, New Who has been all about stories with massive stakes and catastrophic danger. Pulling back the stakes a bit now and then would help ground the show more and make the big problems actually feel big rather than routine.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Master is pretty similar to Nyarlathotep.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

adhuin posted:

Is everyone else reading the fifteen times like this?

My take on the Fifteen times is that the Doctor Redid his argument and monologue fifteen times, until he got it right and convinced both sides that the peace is the answer.
The room can't wipe the whole worlds memory of a Zygon uprising. It can wipe only those who are physically in the room, thus 15 retakes of the argument.

Basically Doctor Save-Scummed all the dialogue options for the win.

I read it like you did immediately and thought maybe I had missed some dialog when reading the thread and seeing everybody acting like this meant there were 15 different uprisings.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well , it is ambiguous, he didn't go into the details, so it could be either. The 15 different uprisings reading leaves a lot more questions unanswered, but it's Doctor Who, you wont know which reading is correct until Big Finish get's its hands on it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Or it could be joke from a Man trying to relieve some of the tension in the room.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 9, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What are the time frames on Doctor 1 and 3 dying? If I remember right, 3 floated around poisoned for quite a while, and 1, well any number of things could have led to his batteries finally running out.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oh I know, but if I remember right he had some pretty traumatic events happen to him in recent serials when the time came.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think that is what I was thinking, as the Smugglers doesn't seem quite so traumatic looking at the summary now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Though of course, the Shot Doctor at the lake wasn't actually him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Six however, he went pretty quick.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

...That explains all of the Sherlock-like mathematical bullshit he does now.

That is just a problem of our times and pop culture. Try an find a genius character who doesn't do that poo poo these day's, it loving impossible. Makes honest to goodness geniuses who actually have to take their time and work things out look like slow nitwits.

It's an issue of modern story telling really, cant have a lull, got to keep moving, no time for lab scenes or working out the details. They burn through multiple stories worth of ideas in single episodes now and it doesn't look likely to change any time soon, if anything, at least its hard to get bored.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So, I wonder how Moffat was going to force the final regeneration into the Eleventh Doctors run if he had managed to get Eccleston in the 50th special? Where do you find the loophole there, or do you think he just waits?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably just rewrite it into the Doctor still lasting 300 years to the point he's not sure he can still regenerate because of how old he's gotten.

Not that continuity matters for much in this show, but that read's way too close to "wearing a little thin" to me for it to affect regeneration.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Any writer not looking to force that story in probably would not have called back to the Tennant almost regeneration in the first place.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yes, they referenced it when the Master turned into a shambling corpse creature in the Deadly Assassin, so it dates back at the very least to the Fourth Doctors run.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I don't thinks is that weird, its one of the few concrete things we learned about the Doctor and the Time Lords. It makes him mortal and therefore it makes each incremental regeneration more dramatic as it ticks down to his last chance. Shame it had to be rushed, had a lot of dramatic potential if given the proper build. I mean, you know he was going to cheat it somehow, but there is drama in the build, and we missed out on that because someone wanted to rush it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dabir posted:

It was an offhand thing in the classic series, which barely got halfway past the limit.
As compared to the newest series which reached it in not even half the time with half as many Doctors.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I would say that that a military coup is absolutely the right choice of words for what happened when the Gallifreyan military stopped listening to the lord president and surrounded him with gunships.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Considering how argumentative and obnoxious the fifth Doctors companions are most of the time, It's no wonder Six turned out the way he did.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A tear, Sarah Jane?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

All you need for a companion from the past is the occasional reminder of lessons and a few shots of them in the background reading a book or examining something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Until now I always had the extremely low probability of a Thin White Doctor to make me happy.

• Locked thread