Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Sent my 3 year old to her grandma's. Refused all social engagements for the night. Bought a fire tv just so I could get iplayer and got some beers and a tv dinner ready.

Let who begin! (I love this show too much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

IceAgeComing posted:

You should watch Doctor Who with your three year old child, IMO.

My three year old likes disney princesses and doesn't speak English yet :)

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
And iplayer is dead for me. I was looking forward to participate in a live thread but I guess I will catch up tomorrow :(

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Ok. This is miles better than last year's opening

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Peter capaldi rocking an axe. Creepy snake guy. I like this brand of weird

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
That was unexpected.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Clara "you got exterminated"

Missy "I got better"

E. Maybe it won't play out like that after all

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
That is making me want it to be Saturday again. So... Excellent job. (Although I would rather a standalone to open the season

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Dabir posted:

That was pretty fun but when it finished I was left with the sense that maybe ten minutes of episode had actually happened.

In the sense that time flew by or lack of content?

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, I'd like some kind of pure entertainment blockbuster opener before the dark and moody Plot Arc Two-Parter, like the prologue to a James Bond film.

Theme for this series is looking like it'll be being haunted by (possibly unexpected results of) past actions; the Doctor abandoned Davros and possibly played a part in setting him on the path to create the Daleks, there's spoilers for later in the series declaring the return of past villains and faces we've seen before.

I don't know where people are getting "mess" from, there was nothing really confusing or out of nowhere, but it did feel to me like not a lot actually happened; possibly Moffat's lost his touch at pacing two-parters and the interesting stuff will all be next week.

While I need to see it again (lost 20 min fighting iplayer) I don't actually see pacing issues. Things moved at a fast clip and it ended on a cliffhanger that I hope will pay off next week.

Although I will say that doctor who is relying a bit too heavily on"moments" that make for a good clip show on YouTube and not enough focus on story and narrative cohesion.

I am not saying we need a season of myth arcs. I am saying we need more mummy on the orient express and flatline

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
This is the first time I'm genuinely excited for part 2 :)
And scary Peter capaldi can get really scary. I love Matt smith but his boastfulness always seemed undercut or not effective enough (although I believe that was part of the point the doctor is fallible and all that. But Peter capaldi can real make you feel that whomever he's pissed at is royally screwed

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

MisterBibs posted:

I don't understand construction/physical properties of matter super well and I realize this is entirely :spergin:, but if the Diamond Wall Thing was as strong as the Doctor said, wouldn't hitting it a billion billion times just end up with a billion billion broken fists? like, if I had the biggest pile of talc in history, would I be able to scratch a plate of diamond eventually? Cuz I figure I'd just end up with a clean plate of diamond and a whole lot of talc powder.

Have you ever been to an old (old) church or similar and noticed that the floor is slightly concave? Worn out even. And that's just from people walking over it :)
Everything wears out eventually (although yeah just punching is probably not the best way which is why it took a Billion years)

I really liked this episode with all the caveats other people pointed out.

I will say that if the hybrid turns out to be Ashildr I will be a bit disappointed. That would mean that Moffat created a character and decided to call her "Me" just so he could get an ambiguous line in today's episode.... that's just... gimmicky not effective storytelling.

Regarding the genera quality of the season. 1 & 2 I enjoyed because of Missy 3 & 4 were "ok" 5 & 6 were just kind of eye rolling 7 & 8 started pretty weak but improved a lot 9 was an interesting experiment 10 & 11 so far were top notch

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
The doctor just has to be the greatest bullshit artist in all of time and space.
He basically cowed the entire time lord society through pretending to know something that he clearly did not.

Although this casts heaven set in a whole new light for me. He did not spend 4.5 billion years resisting torture to keep a precious piece of information that could save the universe hidden. He did it so he would have a trump card over the time lords when he got back. I though he was being a hell of a determinator but... this is just a whole other level.

I agree that the opening went on for too long I quite liked his attitude towards the timelords. "No gently caress you. You come to me" "and it better be the president getting his rear end out of a chair and coming himself" but again. This was him completely relying on bullshit to get them to come. As the soldier said "the first thing you notice about the Doctor of war is that he is unarmed" "for many it's the last thing they notice"

So yeah. I guess That's what makes him dangerous. People are never sure if he actually has something capable of annihilating them or if it's all talk (we already saw Matt smith being called out on his bullshit in the pandorica. It also makes me see that speech a bit differently then I did at the time. It's not him boasting "I'm the greatest ever you can't beat me" it's him trying a desperate gambit and leveraging his reputation)

Anyway to finish this episode went in a completely different direction than I anticipated and that's good. First time he walked into the barn I was thinking "is the moment still there and will he do something nuts with it" but no. He just wanted to chill with the downtrodden folk and saying "gently caress you timecards you are a bunch of wankers and I am not giving you the time of day"
While I wanted a more galliffey centric plot the important thing is that it's out there and I am sure it be relevant in the future. All & all happy with the finale Christmas looks fun this year! I generally don't like the specials too much

e. phrasing

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

2house2fly posted:

I think he didn't know it was the time lords until he left the dial, his whole motive in breaking out was that the plot to entrap him also cost Clara her life and he wanted revenge for it. It turned out to be the time lords and he realised he might be able to go one better.

I think that when he saw the diamond wall with "home" written behind and started pulling the pieces together (time looped rooms) he figured it out.

• Locked thread