Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Doctor Who is returning after a nine-month hibernation with a 12 (:() episode series plus one Christmas special. What's happening this series? Well, Maisie Williams is making an appearance in some episode, playing an unknown character. The Master is returning for at least one episode this series. River Song will return at Christmas. The Doctor will wear sunglasses on occasion. As has become the standard for TVIV's most popular shows, the thread-per-episode era is a thing of the past. We're using this one until 2016!

The regular series runs weekly from 19 September to 5 December, with a special on Christmas Day:

1) The Magician's Apprentice
2) The Witch's Familiar
3) Under the Lake
4) Before the Flood
5) The Girl Who Died
6) The Woman Who Lived
7) The Zygon Invasion
8) The Zygon Inversion
9) Sleep No More
10) Face the Raven
11) Heaven Sent
12) Hell Bent
13) The Husbands of River Song

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if Queen Elizabeth II, Barack Obama, and Vladimir Putin have a three-way press conference on every channel to reveal life on Mars and also that Martha Jones is a Rutan, DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

As soon as the episode airs on BBC One, though, the gloves come off. If you're not watching the episode as it is broadcast first on BBC One, do not come into this thread acting like you won't find out Missy is the Master. Even though it won't air in your nation for a few hours, it is a British show after all, and they get the right to talk about the show while the people who pay the licensing fees watch it.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you should start with The Eleventh Hour. This doesn't mean to disregard the 9th and 10th Doctor's stories, but it's the easiest way to get caught up. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO ON TELEVISION?

Original Series:
UK - Drama, Horror
USA - Retro TV, some PBS stations, BBC America (Tom Baker era only)
Canada - you're out of luck
Australia - Syfy

Current Series:
UK - BBC One (first run), BBC Three, Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations, Disney XD (Tennant era only)
Canada - Space
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC2, BBC UKTV, Syfy

WHERE CAN I STREAM DOCTOR WHO?
Netflix has the current series in its entirety and selected original series episodes. If you're in the United States, Hulu Plus has 413 original series episodes up, and I'm not going to go in-depth about the ones they don't have.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone.

A BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH

There are hundreds, probably thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people possibly like Minuet in Hell, but I doubt it). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

Monthly range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 205th(!) release next month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
Sylvester McCoy plays a supporting role to Bernice Summerfield, a companion introdcued in the Virign New Adventures line of books.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The War Doctor
Holy cow, Big Finish got John Hurt? You bet they did, and the Time War is heard for what might be the only time.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
In slightly less astounding news, Big Finish got David Tennant and Catherine Tate to reprise their characters. Considering they are both in the prime of their careers, this range may not be regular.

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles usually feature just one actor, while the Early Adventures feature small casts.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

WHAT ABOUT THE RATINGS OF THE SHOW?
Doctor Who isn't getting cancelled again any time soon, so don't you worry your pretty little head. Here's what I guess the Magician's Apprentice ratings will be after crunching some numbers:

UK: A bunch of people watched it
USA: A bunch of people watched it
Canada: A bunch of people watched it
Australia: A bunch of people watched it

And finally, and I know this is hard to believe, this marks the first time a Doctor Who episode has debuted on 19 September. Less than 36 hours to go!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
US goons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK6b1r8HsVM

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn do I hate region locks, they're so stupid and bizarre a thing to have in this day and age.

I do believe I said "US goons" :colbert:

For non-Americans who can't watch it, it's just a commercial promoting BBC America's new Sunday morning block of movie versions of Tom Baker serials called 'Breakfast with Baker'.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CobiWann posted:

But...church...football...hangover recovery...

Genesis of the Daleks...The Seeds of Doom...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have to say, the Magician's Apprentice was a ballsy episode for a series debut. Not the best idea, but ballsy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ratings from the good old US of A: 2 million people watched, 1.1 of which was in the coveted 18-49 demographic. For reference only two channels got higher ratings in that demographic during that timeslot. For the record, those were the college football game between Alabama and Mississippi, and the final episode of Sábado Gigante. Pretty good for a channel that's still in standard definition where I live.

Ratings for Australia: an average of 653,000 people watched in the five major capitol cities (I don't know what this means).

AI was 84 in the UK, around last year's average.

This has been your ratings/AI report, which I was mostly right about before the premier aired.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just want Season box sets of Doctor Who. I doubt there's any other TV show as big as Doctor Who that doesn't do this.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

He made no such specification. And besides, they do offer boxed sets of Classic Who.

Well I now specify that I was talking about classic Who. The only two seasons of classic Who to be enclosed in an entire box set are the Key to Time and the Trial of a Time Lord seasons.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

RunAndGun posted:

I donno, I think Peter liked rocking away on top of a tank, too.

Also, chairs aren't always his thing. Last time he was in one he didn't like, he remarked "Worst. Rescue. Ever!"

(Totally unrelated whimsy: Just realized we have 2 Doctors named "Peter" and two named "Baker". What is the meaning of this?)

If I was a writer, I'd have a character named Dr. Peter Baker.

The Witch's Familiar isn't up to the standards of today's Who, but it was good for what it was.

EDIT: also, was this the first time the word 'bitch' was said on Doctor Who? I remember in 2005 when the Doctor said 'hell' and was taken a bit aback.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They all had normal lives, right up until they were in the right place at the right time to make sure the Great Intelligence didn't gently caress up the Doctor and then went on having a normal life.

Except when they died. Which, if I remember The Name of the Doctor correctly, was frequent.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I recently purchased Archives so Lowtax can feed his kids, and I found the thread where the revival is announced (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717262). Here are the suggested Ninth Doctors:

-Chris Barrie
-Richard O'Brien
-Steve Coogan
-Anthony Steward Head
-John Cleese
-Michael Palin
-"The guy who played Arthur Dent"
-David Warner
-Eric Idle
-Mark Gatiss
-Alan Davies

Imagine if we had Mark Gatiss as the Doctor while writing for the show :psyduck:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

To be fair

He'd still be the Doctor to this day

So that'd be different

The Day of the Doctor would've been awkward.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Mirror reports Corey Taylor of the band Slipknot is playing a monster in the next episode. And by 'playing', I don't mean he will appear physically - he will do the monster's screams. Peter Serafinowicz will provider the monster's speaking voice.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm guessing Jenna Coleman is going appear in Class at least as a recurring character after she leaves Doctor Who. Unless, of course, she gets a bad ending when she leaves, like Rose, Donna, and Amy/Rory got.

In addition, there's going to be a compilation on Blu Ray of the ten Christmas specials.

EDIT: There's already a TV show called Class. It's a sketch show on CBBC. One hand does not know what the other hand is doing!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 1, 2015

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

Literally shoehorned.

(giant shoehorn left over from Planet of Giants)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldMemes posted:

I don't know if it's my computer, or Wiki's servers have gone nuts, but the Doctor Who Wiki (TARDIS.wiki) is redirecting to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Wiki right now for some reason. :stare:

doctorhoofs.jpg

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Having mulled over the 8th Doctor Time War announcement some more I've come to conclusion that they're only getting my money if they get Timothy Dalton back as Rassilon :colbert:

Or, failing that, Pearce Brosnan as his regeneration.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don't make me make a section of the OP about books.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Young David Tennant looks a lot like young Damon Albarn.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Seeds of Vincent

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Doctor's monologue in the Black Archive is, without a doubt, the best performance Capaldi has given in his tenure. Simply outstanding.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
This year's Christmas special will be shown in US cinemas on the 28th and 29th of December. I still don't get why they do it this way - I'd be more inclined to go if I hadn't seen the episode days earlier, and in the comforts of my home with a pause and rewind button.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Because there are multi million dollar films that traditionally make millions of dollars on Christmas day viewings.

I'm suggesting they show the episode Christmas Eve. If you told me I could see an episode of Doctor Who a day earlier for $12, I'd do it on when they did it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm VERY interested in next week's episode, mainly to see if it's more than a one-hander, and that's not a masturbation joke.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope Eccleston works with Big Finish soon. Few hours of recording a week, nice environment. Maybe they'll get him.

I'm not holding my breath. If Eccleston didn't want to do Day of the Doctor, I highly doubt he'll do Big Finish any time soon. I'd imagine he and Moffat have each other on speed dial though, just in case.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Yeah and look how long it took him!

Well, if we count Dimensions in Time, it took him 12 years to reprise his role as the 4th Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

It was good of Moffat to get the regeneration limit out of the way, as of Capaldi it can now be safely ignored forever.

At least, for another 50 years.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just discovered there is an animated reconstruction of Mission to the Unknown. Interesting.

EDIT: Ah, Ian Levine made it. This explains everything!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 5, 2015

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

theblackw0lf posted:

Which season? Or which Doctor?

Season 2, same Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

FreezingInferno posted:

Has anyone here given the "Season 27" Lost Stories from Big Finish a go? I'm kind of interested, but 12.99 CDN a pop and I do still have some last-minute Christmas shopping to do and all so I can't be too selfish. Just wondering if they're any good.

I do have a whole bunch of Colin Baker Lost Stories from that Humble Bundle a year ago, but it's all like... Nightmare Fair and Mission To Magnus. Which I've heard are yuck.

It depends on how much you like Season 26 of the TV show. Like the Lost Stories of the Sixth Doctor, these are scripts of their time, for better and for worse.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Christmastime is the only time of year me and my sister watch Doctor Who at the same time, since we both go to our parents' house. That's good enough for me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just watched the Christmas special. A bit silly, but it is a Christmas special. I think it was good enough.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

They likely didn't put the sign up.

Yeah, it would be in that Dalek font if they did.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Class will come out this year, apparently. Remember Class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760489

• Locked thread