Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

As a series of pictures and sounds in an order with an underlying meaning, I enjoyed watching it. I didn't think that it worked though. I knew it didn't when I swapped over to Dad's Army on BBC2 after and immediately felt more gripped by the scene where Mainwaring pressured Wilson into talking to Pike about his date to the war dance.

The Olde Englande arena was good as a funny bit of pissing around but I couldn't buy any of the serious stuff. Davros was played well, he's always a treat to see. I hope the second half picks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

grobbo posted:

Yeah, I think the two are pretty much conflated - the pacing issues and the grandiosity.

For instance, a much simplified version of tonight's plot could have seen the Doctor give himself up to Davros, after which Missy shows up and quickly recruits Clara, having learnt he's in terrible danger, and they track him down together. You can do it in three moves.

Instead, we went the long way around so that Clara can spot planes frozen in the sky, Missy can have a Mexican standoff, the Doctor can have a medieval rock-out - all of which is justified by the will business, which just doesn't convince (after countless episodes where he heads into certain death but *doesn't* send out a will, why now?).

It just felt a little...indiscriminate in its spectacle. After the initial hook, I'd been looking forward to a bit more of an atmospheric two-hander; the Doctor, in a dank room with a foe he believes is defeated and dying, talking about their actions and beliefs. Playing out the quiet endgame of their war (before the inevitable trap is sprung).

I think this describes it pretty well. There's just too many payoffs (or "moments") and not enough build up.

I also wasn't really feeling Missy in this either. She didn't feel actually important or threatening to me, which is odd (and unfortunate) as Michelle Gomez was clearly acting just as well as she did before. The same goes for Peter Capaldi, and Jenna Coleman. Julian Bleach as Davros was still as thrilling to watch as ever though. I just didn't feel the episode over all. Ah well.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Funny you should ask. This was just posted earlier today

Moff at the Radio Times Festival posted:

Moffat denied an ancient fan rumour that there was a contractual duty to include the Daleks in each series of Doctor Who. "My mother in law was Terry Nation's agent when he created the Daleks. Believe me there is no such clause in the contract".

Wait, really? How many degrees of separation are there between most of the big names in Doctor Who? I didn't think British showbiz could be that small.

Also, the visual design of the hand mines, with their one prominent eye, probably also relates symbolically to Davros' becoming a dick as an adult.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

This week was much better than last.

I especially liked the part where Davros was congratulating the Doctor on saving his race. I'd like to think the majority of their chat was genuine. Davros: The Most Sympathetic Space-Nazi? Seriously though, every moment between the Doctor and Davros was fantastic. I was also way more into Missy and Clara this week too. All the characters just came across more engagingly, for me, this week.

Hybrid prophecy stuff I can take or leave. I'm guessing it's going to come into play with Clara having been inside a Dalek case during that whole regeneration-shenanigan.

I also thought the Dalek word-filter made sense; of course they'd have an inbuilt independent thought stopper. It's probably canon inconsistent but who gives a toss about that. Between this and Into the Dalek, I think Moffat is trying to push the idea that the tank is as integral to the Dalek psychology as being a genetically engineered space-hate-race is. I'm alright with that.

Judging from the trailer, it looks like next week's bad guy is The Great Intelligence? Or maybe ghosts from the Titanic or something? Just guessing from that one guy in the tophat. Looks cool anyway.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And just like Whedon's Marvel stuff, even the things that were supposedly deeply connected to the continuity were pointless except in the moment. The poo poo about the Dalek/Time Lord Prophecy, for example. After spending all that effort on making the Doctor just a guy having adventures, the last few episodes have doubled down on the "Doctor is the most important and amazing person in the universe" thing again. The nanosecond laser beam teleporter nonsense? When has the Doctor ever done anything like that?

It's not a coincidence that the best episodes of Doctor Who in the last few years have been ones where the Doctor is just a pretty clever man who turns up somewhere where Adventure Is To Be Had, with the only real exception for me being The Doctor's Wife from Moffat's tenure.

(In fact, having a think about it, there are maybe half a dozen stories in total from Doctor Who that have the story about more than just A Pretty Clever Man Who Turns Up Somewhere Adventure Is To Be Had that I really enjoy - Wife, Human Nature, Dalek, Curse of Fenric, Remembrance, Genesis and Logopolis sort of, last two episodes of The War Games)

I enjoyed this week but I have to agree with this. I'm not sure when to pinpoint when this started to take over the new series. I don't remember it happening much under RTD but I'm probably misremembering that. It seems pretty constant in Moffat's run though, even The Eleventh Hour had elements of the show doubling down on The Doctor's importance. I think it started to get bad with that the end of S6 and the start of S7.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Or "shouldn't have explained Davros, everyone should know what a Davros is" I mean really? Davros has only appeared once in Newwho. Not everyone watching is a classic who supernerd who's watched the audiodramas and listened to the episodes and built there own sixth doctor coat.Some perspective might be lost here, I don't think a more casual fan would have that much familiarity with Davros's. And it was like, one line? Idg what's being argued here.

Wait, who said that? Who would say that? Surely the story needs to introduce Davros and give some reasons to care for new viewers, like the children which are the main target demographic of this show.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

A Deus Ex Machina is something that literally comes out of nowhere. We know regeneration energy is powerful and can be transferred in some circumstances. We know there are decomposing Dalek mutants in the sewers. There is foreshadowing.

Ever since regeneration energy became a thing, rather than the Doctor or other timelords just having some regenerations, there hasn't really been any hard-and-fast rules about it. You could write regeneration energy as doing anything and it wouldn't contradict anything. It's basically magic. Besides, regeneration energy wasn't even mentioned in the episode up to that point. If I were new to Doctor Who, it would be totally out of nowhere.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Kikka posted:

the doctors wife isnt a good episode to show to anyone or anything

I mean you can keep some things vague and leave the audience to understand it on their own. I don't see the point of the iconic vehicle turning into a woman and kissing the Doctor and saying "I love you".

Finally, someone else saw the same episode that I did.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

You're totally supposed to be weirded out by it. It's on purpose. Here, read Talking to Girls at Parties where Gaiman basically does the opposite of what he does in The Doctor's Wife.

I wasn't weirded out, I was nonplussed. I do mean to re-watch it, as it gets such rave reviews, but I remember just being bored by it the first time. Also I got the context, I just wasn't digging it at the time. Maybe that a few years have passed, I'll be more into its vibe.

I gave that piece a read, but I'm not sure how that related to anything in The Doctor's Wife? It was an alright short story, I guess. I've never really read any Gaiman before, the only other Gaiman I know is Nightmare in Steel. Descriptions of his stuff have never sounded super appealing to me, personally. The story didn't come across as remarkable to me.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

I was hoping it would convey that Gaiman doesn't play things completely straight. You could read that short story as just a funny bit of nonsense, or you could read it as a commentary on how men or specifically boys perceive women and sexuality. He superficially indulges in Freudian daydreams and wish-fulfillment, but it never feels quite right.

Does the Doctor really get a super cool time machine wife, or did the mad Doctor actually get stolen by a mad woman box? At first glance, it absolutely seems like Gaiman tries to indulge in the stereotypes that are expected from this relationship. In practice, the Tardis actually turns out to be quite in control, though. She claims to have stolen the Doctor, and she clues him in on House's trap. Even when he calls her unreliable, she immediately throws back at him: "(No, but) I always took you where you needed to go." Gaiman does a lot of smart things with the relationship between the Tardis and the Doctor. Most importantly though, all of it makes perfect sense for the dynamic between them as eternal companions.

Here's something a bit more academic by Emily Capettini, if you want to read more about feminism and sex. In case that link doesn't work properly, the text is called: "A Boy and his box off to see the universe". Madness, Power and Sex in "The Doctor's Wife".

I get that those stories had a deeper, non-literal meaning. The episode was about the relationship between the Doctor and the TARDIS, just as the story was about how lads perceive lasses, and both are about communication between the sexes, and so on et cetera. Maybe what I've not communicated is that the starting question, what if the relationship between the Doctor and the TARDIS is like a longstanding human-interpersonal relationship, just wasn't of interest to me at the time. Fundamentally, I wasn't buying what Gaiman was selling. Why would the relation between those two persons manifest itself in such a normal way? It seems like a dull place to take the exploration, even though I'll acknowledge that I can't think of anything that I would've preferred.

I wasn't super keen on the (as I remember) twee or self-consciously quirky (not sure I can actually put a good name to it) style that the costume design, dialogue, and even the naming scheme of the secondary characters had. Maybe that put against it from the start, probably unfairly, I can't be certain. I still mean to rewatch it.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

I'd like to think that Gaiman does a beautiful job of justifiying every aspect of the episode. From the odd family to the makeshift, ancient look of the characters' outfits, everything ties into the overarching themes of relationships, family and home.

When you get around to rewatching it, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Sure thing.

-----

Ah, now that was a good episode. Clear, solid plot, so far, good characters, even the Sonic Sunglasses were well-used and understated. The cue-cards gag was hilarious. Very tight all around. I just checked out Whithouse's other writing credits, and his stuff is generally really solid, so hopefully next week will be just as good.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

That was great and refreshingly understated, compared to the bombast of the past few episodes.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The Viking Farmer Army training montage was funny, and nothing was offensively bad to me, as a guy who doesn't know much about electric eels, vikings, or geography. The mechanics of the contraption at the end weren't really elaborated on, which is fine as it would've all been technobabble anyway. I liked the smallness of the episode, much the like the past two-part story. I also liked that the Doctor was in clear moral conflict about the whole affair, never quite settling on whether he ought to leave be or help or where he should draw the line on helping. I liked his constant doubting, especially when he was kicking himself for making viking girl immortal. The key actors were good, the viking actors were entertaining but I can't remember the names of any of their characters. The cuts to 10's stuff was done as well as it could have been, not too big on the notion of doing continuity based on a casting choice from about 5 years ago but hey ho. Overall, it was alright, pretty standard stuff, the next time trailer looks to be more standard stuff in the same vein.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Donna got zapped into being super smart and stopped the Daleks from destroying the universe, Rose absorbed the time vortex and stopped the Doctor from getting killed.

Those only happened in individual episodes, they weren't multiple season long arcs in which the companion saves The Doctor at every point in the past and he spends his whole time trying to unravel her mysterious circumstances.

Anyway, episode was good. I think. I wouldn't have done multiple shots of Clara dying but then I don't edit TV for a living so what do I know.

Ashilda/Lady Me is pretty poo poo though. Her actress is really dull.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Burkion posted:

Donna was not and is not that. Never that. To save the universe she damns herself.

Actually, she got her super-powers from a freak accident. If you trace it back, the universe was saved by Davros's lightning-hand and/or the Sycorax leader chopping off 10's hand.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Taken in the full context of her achievements Clara is the single most important person in the series after the Doctor himself. Her influence over his life extends further than any other companions, even his grand daughter.

I like to think that got undone by Trenzalore not being The Doctor's grave anymore. Which means we could get more Richard E. Grant as the Great Intelligence, which would be cool (with a good plot).

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

2house2fly posted:

He escalated the stakes higher and higher every single time. What weird AU have I entered where RTD's time on the show was characterised by sensible stakes and companions who weren't Mary Sues?

I want to see the alternate world where RTD stayed on for another series and tried to up the stakes from destroying reality and time.

Not sure if the Mary Sue thing sticks though, isn't that term supposed to refer to a self-insert?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

HD DAD posted:

This. 4 wasn't the best conclusion, but it was satisfying and had some wonderful moments.

1+2 would have worked better if each had an extra 15 minutes of running time. Not to add any more content, but just to let the episodes breathe a little and allow us to soak up the plot. 3+4 had less going on, but that worked in their favor.

I'd have cut the plane stuff. It was time-filling bollocks.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

So was him coming out of his confession dial meant to mean that that was all some kind of dream or something? Or that the puzzle castle was some kind of pocket universe or something?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Murderion posted:

Don't worry, kids! The Doctor didn't really die! It just felt like he did. Billions upon billions of times. In unimaginable agony. After being chased for days on end by a thing from his darkest nightmares.

Sleep tight now.

Except when he first used a teleporter.

Along with everyone else who's ever teleported but...

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, people were upset about Ten going for weeks without regenerating, while forgetting that Three floated around in the TARDIS for weeks after suffering from radiation poisoning. The precedent for a not immediate regeneration had been established in the classic series.

I always like it when people talk about "precedent" being set in Doctor Who, as if the show is like the law or theology.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

The 'self' is essentially a very convincing cognitive illusion :ssh:

Try not to worry about it. Or go and read some Thomas Metzinger or Bruce Hood, whichever

An illusion to who, though?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

OK, so to summarise:

Roger Delgado was killed in a car accident 1973, and when they decided to bring the Master back they had Peter Pratt play a shambling, corpse like version - which Robert Holmes explained as happening because he had reached his regeneration limit. This idea had been bubbling around for a while in Bob Holmes's head, because part of the things he did when editing the gently caress out of The Brain of Morbius was to insert 8 additional faces, intended to be the Doctor's previous selves. For those of you keeping up, this means that Tom Baker was actually Doctor number 12.

Later on, Bob Holmes wrote the regeneration story for the Fifth (13th) Doctor, and in Holmes's own version of Doctor Who canon this was a regeneration that wasn't supposed to happen - hence lines like "Is this death?". He then regenerated anyway, and was a bit unstable and that was the end of it.

However, the obsession with continuity that was introduced under JNT and Saward, and embodied in the fans of the 90's - including those who wrote the NAs - made this into one of the Firm Things That Is Known About Time Lords, what with it being mentioned in more than one story (!) and so we had the regeneration into Capaldi that we got

This is interesting stuff. Is there a book somewhere that collects this kind of trivia, or is this all from assorted sources?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the episode. It wasn't as good as last week's story but that was a very difficult one to follow. I did not feel bored watching it. There's only really been a couple of episodes I didn't really enjoy this season, so I think it has been pretty good on the whole.

My dad didn't like it because he doesn't understand it when it goes back and forward and around about and so forth in time. He says he likes it better when it's just things getting zapped.

Same here. My Mum has been watching this stuff since it started in 1963, and the past half series episodes she's started saying to me how since these 'new writers' (she thinks they changed them all after Smith) it's been 'very intense recently, it used to just be light-hearted'. Worse, 'I've got no idea what's going on, it's not really aimed at kids anymore, is it?' I'm inclined to agree. She liked the Christmas trailer though.

I enjoyed the series of pictures and sounds I saw tonight, I liked some of the Clara stuff this week, but it (like Clara) never came together as a cohesive whole. I could not look over Clara's character arc (or arcs?) and give you anything too solid about her character traits. Everyone acted the gently caress out of it though, even Maisie Williams who I normally find dull did well.

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a massive retcon, and at this point means that Moffat has written the entire Doctor's past as fact, whereas before he was in charge we only had brief hints.

Also, this is something that's been bugging me about Moffat's stuff for years. He's never seemed content to just pick up the ball and run with it instead of changing the markings of the pitch to his liking.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

My dad's been a bit cold on it since Tennant left, because he doesn't think Smith or Capaldi have as much gravitas. Make of that what you will. :shrug:

The man likes his RTD, I suppose. Can't blame him.

Really, the last thing I know for certain she really liked was the banter between 12 and Robin Hood. She likes the Cybermen cameos which have shown up in the past few episodes too. I think she thought the Missy/Master reveal was clever? She'd forgotten about Danny by the time Clara mentioned him in Face the Raven.

The_Doctor posted:

I think I liked that? I always like Time Lord shenanigans, and I loved the design of the Sliders. The hybrid stuff still makes very little sense, and I'm hoping it never turns up again.

I think this is the best possible assessment. The Sliders looked great.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

This is the Doctor Who you get when you decide you want to tell a story about character relationships but have to deal with nerds who complain when there's a sci-fi mythos plotarc and then complain when the arc's actually a red herring and it was supposed to be about the characters all along.

Which it OBVIOUSLY loving was. and that's been Moffat's modus operandi, for better or worse, for a solid five years, and everyone who still hasn't gotten that the sci-fi stuff is Not What Matters (except as a means to an end) really is thick.

Like people were complaining "oh no the HYBRID, how CONTRIVED" and when the loving episode makes the inanity and strangeness of the "Hybrid" plot a plot point in and of itself no one loving GETS THAT THAT WAS THE POINT.

I'm not sure that I read anyone complaining that the 'plot wasn't sci-fi enough'. You know that a story can be written which has a focus on character interrelations and a plot which doesn't feel like it's made of wall filler, right?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Is that John Hurt's face after some CGI trickery or is that just some other guy entirely?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

They heavily inferred it three times, once by Davros, the other time in the confession dial and a third time in the cloister room. While you're right, he never said "I left Gallifrey because I was scared of the Hybrid" I don't know what else it could be.

I thought he explicitly said that in Heaven Sent? I must be misremembering it then.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Eh, actors are precious. The fact that she discussed it in a public interview would indicate that they all talked it over it's fine between them all now.

Even if not, it's not our affair.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh and totally loving DUNKING on what Ten did in Journey's End. That was fan loving tastic.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hell Bent is all about resolving that. It's about declaring Clara's death in Raven to be insufficient.

Doctor Who is really boring if all it's going to be about is rebuking it's own previous episodes.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

Self-reflection is boring, now? You're gonna make half the authors of the past two centuries spin in their graves.

Self-reflection isn't boring, that's not what I said. I think that viewing the show giving some kind of moral rebuttal to itself (which is how I understand DoctorWhat read last week's one based on what I quoted) is as interesting as broadcasting an Official BBC Apology for The Doctor's bad behaviour (i.e. not very).

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

saucerman posted:

Oh I think I misunderstood, I was thinking of something like Doctor Who without the Doctor. Nevermind.

Like Blink then? :v:

Stabbatical fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 13, 2015

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

And More posted:

Fairly sure he's instead gonna ramble for twenty paragraphs about the power of Capaldi's acting, actually. :shrug:

To be fair he acted the poo poo out of that monologue, regardless of how well written it was.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Mark Gatiss would not be a good Who showrunner because all his episodes are uninspired, formulaic, by-the-numbers affairs, and are bad.

Sounds perfect for a lead producer job then! :v:

Seriously though, he can't be much worse than Moffat has been at times at the actual 'running the show' part of the job. Why does the head of the scripts/overall story need to be the head of the practical stuff/money again?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if it's a sort of JNT situation where Moffat has to stay because the BBC will can the thing if he goes. I mean, he's not just Steven Moffat any more - he's Primetime Emmy AwardTM winning screenwriter Steven Moffat now.

I'd be surprised if it was. Isn't it BBC Worldwide's biggest property? The amount of Doctor Who merchandise alone would compel them to keep it going, plus they don't have Top Gear to fall back on for a while. The main Beeb keeps doing specialised indents and stuff for the show. The Doctor featured semi-heavily in the BBC One Christmas campaign this year.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

That was some fun nonsense. River was the best she'd been in years, Matt Lucas and Greg Davies were great fun to watch. The villains costumes all looked great. Even the continuity stuff was good, and I normally don't like that stuff.

Some good comic moments too, like the part when The Doctor complained about monarchy to a stoney silence or the waiter alien discussing his children's mother-eating ceremony.

Capaldi's Doctor works well as a grump in a comic farce.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if there was a thread for it that I just missed, but I watched the Sherlock special and it was really loving good... how long until they make season 4? :ohdear:

I saw it on the day, thought it started strong and ended a bit naff really. I don't think it was half as clever as it seemed to think it was, I wish Moffat would just play things straight just one more time in his life.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

qntm posted:

Sherlock's been like that since its first episode, so sounds like a conventional episode.

I remember Sherlock S1 being pretty good. Not that I've actually been bothered to check it, mind you.

Angela Christine posted:

Without Amy we don't get Rory though, and Rory is the best.

Rory good. Donna better.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Which is really everyone's reaction to Harlan Ellison.

Actually he owns.

quote:

DID HARLAN REALLY MAIL A DEAD GOPHER TO AN EDITOR?

Nope. It was the comptroller of a certain publishing house that bound
a cigarette ad into one of Harlan's paperbacks, breaking a stipulation in
Harlan's contract. Although better related in Harlan's essay "Driving in
the Spikes", suffice to say that after trying nicely to get the book
rights reverted back to him, as per his contract, and getting blown off,
Harlan mailed 213 bricks postage due to the man (this was back when the US
Postal Service would mail anything postage-free, making the recipient
pay up), had a Luthuanian hit man friend of his have a talk with him, and
then mailed the dead gopher, along with Ted Cogswell's recipe for braised
gopher stew, fourth class mail, where it stank up the mailing room for quite
a while.

http://harlanellison.com/text/newsfaq.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

CobiWann posted:

If you're considering getting into Torchwood, this story is a fine place to start.

Well, it's better than some of the other options...

• Locked thread