Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that'll be nice to watch before leaving for my weekly smashbros torney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

My brother decided to join me since I was watching TV, and I never watch TV. It was his first episode of Doctor Who and I'm pretty sure it will be his last.

well that's his problem, frankly

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

The whole tank party scene made me think of Rick Sanchez. Those two would really get along I think.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

[I am in great pain, please help me]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Meanwhile, on Outpost Gallifrey there's a big flame thread about how there can be black Kaleds

hahahaahhaha nerds are loving worthless garbage

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That whole section felt so RTD that I was legitimately surprised that Trinity Wells didn't show up. :xd:

I know, right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Not all the Daleks were sourced from the same places, so various "classic" Daleks from, say, Hire-A-Dalek might have different paint jobs than a BBC prop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

After The War posted:

While Nick Briggs is obviously never going to be considered for television anyway, I don't think he'd want the job. He's never had to deal nationwide ratings, a food chain of producers and executives, and so on (not to mention all the additional hassles that result from combining the head writer and producer roles, such as shooting budgets, set requirements, rubber spiders, etc.) I love to call him "the luckiest fan of all time" because, unlike other lifers-in-charge (RTD, GMS and JNT), he's completely build his own little niche with fewer people to please. He doesn't need to worry about future career in television, let alone burnout.

Now, getting a few episodes written by him would be a different story, although something like Creatures of Beauty would probably melt a lot of viewers' brains. :getin:

Nick Briggs is a mediocre scriptwriter. His dialogue lacks flair and his plotting is workmanlike at best. Stuff like Creatures of Beauty is an aberration.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

six-and-donna please and thank you

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna
six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna

*gasp*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tavarin posted:

So clearly Big Finish should just take over as showrunners once Moffat is done, right?

...no.

Big Finish is not as good or as revolutionary as it once was, unfortunately. Hell, in the handful of years between Peri and the Piscon Paradox and The Widow's Assassin, BF took a considerable nosedive in terms of being radical or subversive, both of which Who should really be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

An Ordinary Life :colbert:

Haven't heard it, but it's by Fitton, and Fitton owns, so I assume it's good. Fitton's really only gotten better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah. :smith:

Fandom spoils everything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've always been real cynical about "fandom" as a culture, especially post-#GG. New, younger, "Tumblr" fandom has its better qualities (and its worse ones), but "fandom" often perpetuates a lowercase-c conservative orthodoxy that stifles stuff like Doctor Who.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

You kind of stopped making sense when you stopped having Colin Baker as your avatar. I think.

Colin Baker still is my avatar???

The_Doctor posted:

There are definitely words here, but damned if I know what they mean. GG?

Gamergate.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

If you ever remove that man from your avatar there will be CONSEQUENCES.

i have no intention of doing anything so heinous. the sheer spuriousness of such a notion!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Vaginas?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That was good! That was REALLY REALLY GOOD!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ewe2 posted:

Oh Doctor, what a big laser you have...

walk into the club like "what up? I got a big Whisk"

Rochallor posted:

I think it might have been overlooked in the new episode fervor (at least, I didn't see anything about it in the thread) but apparently the third episode of Web of Fear was found, but it was stolen before it could be returned.

jesus

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah I fuckin' love this characterization of The Doctor because it so willfuly and proudly denounces all that "oncoming storm" destined-hero garbage and looks at the Doctor as an everyperson who is a hero because he decides to do heroic things.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Too bad the man writing his adventures disagrees.

Y'see this is what I don't get. That Moffat can literally write whole scenes, whole stories, expressing one attitude or point of view, and people will somehow be convinced that he believes the opposite.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

So does Carla not remember when she literally was a Dalek before? I've always been fuzzy on how she died a hundred times or something.

That wasn't Clara, that was a temporal xerox of Clara - an "echo", like the Victorian-era version. Our Clara has none of her experiences.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm being cynical but I get the feeling he did that as an excuse to use the River Song playbook again.

Explain to me how Missy plays by "the River Song playbook".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

2house2fly posted:

The scene where Missy killed Dr Chang in Dark Water was basically a carbon copy of River killing the Dalek in Big Bang

Gaz-L posted:

Except for motive, context and tone, sure.

A Woman do a thing. Another woman do vaguely similar thing for completely different reasons and in different way. WOMEN ARE CLEARLY SAME WOMAN.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Moffat has established over the past several years a great capacity to "use his own words" - his use of language has been a defining trait of his writing on Doctor Who since the beginning.

So when Moffat elects to quote specific, pre-existing phrases in new scripts, especially when those quotes are reframed in an ironic or otherwise redefined context (see "You would make a good [qualitative] Dalek" vs. "You are a good [morally] Dalek"), it's frankly ridiculous to suggest that the recurrence of such phrases are symptomatic of incompetence or a lack of originality.

The fact is, the absolute fact, is that Moffat is not a hack. He is beyond competent when it comes to scriptwriting-in-general. When a phrase or bit of language reoccurs in his work, or when he quotes a pre-existing phrase that he did NOT originate, the most reasonable assumption to make, based on past form, is that Moffat made the conscious, weighted decision to play off of that reuse/reframing because he felt it would offer more dramatic or comedic value than the use of a different/"original" phraseology,

You can disagree with that decision (though you'll often be, well, wrong, though that's a matter of aesthetics) but assumptions of laziness or incompetence are baseless and absurd.

Dabir posted:

Hypothetical situation: Kate Stewart tells the Doctor "You know, my father always loathed you." and this is just accepted as the way things always were, and is in some way a key plot element of the episode. Would you dismiss that as 'this show is built on inconsistencies'?

As with all "hypothetical situations", this is dependent entirely on what the rest of the "plot" and other aspects actually are.

But I would hasten to add that literally nothing Moffat has ever written is as dramatic a "retcon" as that would be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

So remember that time when Skaro was destroyed?

The Witch's Familiar literally takes a moment to explain why Skaro's back.

COMEDY OPTION: which time?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

Back in the day they were actual characters and not living props that shout catch phrases.

ahahahaha literally when

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

except for handling the actual production of the show

yeah :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I dunno, I think he came into the job at the easiest point possible (with the programme being essentially the most popular its ever been, with less budgetary restrictions than previous producers had to face) and immediately hosed it up.

The budget for Series 5 was actually lower than it had been for Series 4 and probably for S3 too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

if there's a box that contains someone mysterious, 99% of the time the Doctor's in it. The Pandorica, the coffin from BF: A Death in the Family, etc.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm going to a pub with Samuel Anderson and some other NYCC attendees in a couple of hours.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD posted:

I just spotted DoctorWhat and The Coat at NYCC.

You should have said something! I'll be at the Playwright Irish Pub tonight and at 11 am tomorrow i'll be in room 1E02 for the DW fan meetup.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD posted:

I wanted to! But you were way across the room and I didn't want to be rude to my girlfriend's friends we were hanging with. I'll be there tomorrow!

Sam Anderson is rocking quite the beard now.

See you then!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Somebody make sure to get pics of DW, he promised me he would get a perm this year!

I bailed like a motherfucker on that and the pub was so crowded and loud my autismal rear end nearly freaked out totally.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Did you at least try to strangle a young buxom brunette at some point today?

no but an MGR Raiden cosplayer nearly cut my head off when his dumb knife heels almost knocked him off balance on the escalator.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Close enough?

jack is baaaaack

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD and I are in a room that, including me, contains not one, not two, but THREE Sixes, but only one Four and one Ace as classic representation, to the lament of all present.

Some real good age-appropriate Twelves, though, and an impeccable Nine I've met before.

Pics when I can.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well a Five and some more Fours showed up, which was nice, but there are still obvious gaps.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ricks are assholes. They litter crushed cans all over the convention center. Sometimes by throwing them at my head.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The cold open was loving fantastic. The rest, ESPECIALLY the beat-you-over-the-head obvious reprisal of the cold open at the end, was considerably less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I bought exactly two non-food things costing more than 5 dollars during all of NYCC.

One was Masterpiece Grimlock.

This is not MP Grimlock:

It's PRETTY GREAT

• Locked thread