Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Re: PJ-chat, episode 13 is pretty alright compared to the rest of the Trial on its own, it's just tarnished a fair bit by the next ep. It's not Holmes at his best, to be sure, but it's still basically competent Doctor Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

When UNIT brings in Clara, she's able to act as a surrogate for the Doctor, making connections that the others didn't and figuring things out - she's brought in as the next best thing to the Doctor, his apprentice (and he's later explicitly called a wizard).

Of course this brings up any manner of other problems mentioned by others earlier in the thread, not least of which is that UNIT comes across as incompetent - perhaps the worst scene being when Clara asks about the fuel and Kate goes,":aaa: I never thought of that!" but I think the title's meaning was fairly obvious in the context of the episode.

Yeah, UNIT comes off looking even worse than usual from this, seemingly purely for the sake of letting Clara do all the big showstopper lines. I really like Jemma Redgrave, I just wish Kate would actually do things and be competent sometimes instead of going "oh poo poo better call coal hill, we need the famous five an english teacher" every time the Bandrils come to town.

To repeat much of what has already been said fifteen times, it was a mess of cool and "cool" moments only tenuously strung together, but a pretty fun 45 minutes regardless. Capaldi is really settling into the role now, I think, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this slightly less prickly version of Twelve. Julian Bleach was just as spot-on as he was in Series 4, Gomez was a lot of fun (though the constant one-liners are kind of running her shtick to the ground a little bit), and I like that they're mixing different kinds of Daleks together pretty regularly now. Any excuse to put a Special Weapons Dalek on TV in 2015 is fine by me.

CGI snakes are more of the Master's thing though, don't know why Davros is suddenly stepping on her toes like this.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CobiWann posted:

- That can't be Skaro – there wasn't a mutant clam!

One of the soldiers in the beginning warns the others about "clam drones" though! :haw:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Ohhh wow, that's massive news! Good for BF. Will be interesting to see who they've got for the scripts.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CobiWann posted:

Didn't seem rude at all. No need to apologize!

She also pointed out to me this morning that the DVD of The Two Doctors is out-of-print and going for nearly $200 bucks now thanks to Jimmy Savile...hopefully it'll be re-released by the time I make it that far in my classics watch.

The R1 release? I bought the R2 version just the other week for ten bucks. Sounds to me like the money you'd save in Who serials alone would make up for the cost of a region-free DVD player!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wheat Loaf posted:

"The Two Doctors" is one of the older ones - the second Colin Baker story released on DVD, I believe. Surprised it hasn't had a special edition re-release yet, when stuff like "The Green Death", "The Claws of Axos", "The Ark In Space", "The Visitation" and "Resurrection of the Daleks" all have, when they were released either alongside it or after it.

That being said, I don't know whether they released a special edition as part of the Sontaran box set that came out after they showed up in the revival.

The one in the Sontaran box set is the standard release. It's unlikely to ever get a special edition either, since the Classic Series DVD range is pretty much over and done with. I think they've got The Underwater Menace coming out later this year, and that's about it. That one's probably going to be a bare-bones release like The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World, too.

The DVD range is brilliant, but I am a bit disappointed with these last few releases. The wealth of extra stuff is the main selling point of the whole range, but then the last couple of ones don't even have making-ofs, commentaries or anything. It looks like we aren't getting special editions of those any time soon, either.

After The War posted:

"Thankfully" most of them only seem to be moving around $70-$100 on eBay. But of all the episodes...

I'm going to choose to believe this is because everyone really wants to see the Robert Holmes documentary extra feature.

Well I just watched it yesterday and I have to say it was pretty good :smug:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Zaroff posted:

The Underwater Menace is coming out in the UK in about a month, and will have some bonus features - a making of as well as the other half of the BBC TV Centre documentary which was on one of the re-release DVDs, plus commentaries on the existing episodes.

Well of course you would shill for the Underwater Menace DVD.

Good to hear it still has some extras. No animation on the missing episodes, though? That's a shame, though I wasn't really expecting it.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I enjoyed this a lot more than the first episode, which I quite liked on first watch too but that really pales in comparison to this week. I'm of two minds whether the two-part structure worked here - on the one hand I like that the two parts are distinctly different, but on the other hand the first part ends up feeling really disposable as most of the actual meat of the story ends up in the second part. I don't know, maybe this should have been a 60-minute opener instead of a two-parter, but it feels a bit silly complaining about that after so many rushed episodes in the last two seasons. If at the end of this series one slightly overblown and mismatched opening two-parter is the price we've had to pay for a series of well-paced stories that have when necessary the space to breathe over two episodes, I'm pretty happy.

Capaldi and Bleach both really shine in their scenes together, and having Davros be genuinely happy that the Doctor has found Gallifrey again is such a clever touch because it's simultaneously really surprising and actually totally believable. The stuff about dalek time lord super soldier hybrid mutant the doctors most darkest secret sounds dumb though, but I guess we'll see if it's going to be as John Peel as it sounds.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 27, 2015

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

2house2fly posted:

Plus it's cool because "have pity" is what Davros said to the Doctor in that one episode where the Doctor blew up Skaro.

The Doctor's plan here is actually really similar to what he did in Remembrance with the Hand of Omega, just let Davros go through with his scheme until it blows up in his face.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Big Finish is having a Davros sale, it seems. I guess I'll be finally picking up I, Davros, then, but are any of the newer releases worth getting? Can anybody recommend Daleks Among Us or The Curse of Davros?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Terrance Dicks's worst story as a writer was Robot. Which is still pretty good (let down by the special effects).

The others are:

Seeds of Death (heavily rewriting episodes 3-6 as script editor)
The War Games
The Brain of Morbius (although this was heavily re-written by Holmes)
The Horror of Fang Rock
State of Decay,

all of which are absolute classics.

He also oversaw probably the most consistently good era of Doctor Who as script writer (Pertwee's era has stories that drag, but none of them are outright dire - unlike, say, Revenge of the Cybermen from the Holmes/Hinchcliffe era).

gently caress "half joking", there's a strong argument for him being the best there was.

There's The Five Doctors too, which is a good one as well, so yeah, no real clunkers under Tewwy's belt. But if we're talking about the script editor with the most consistently good output, I think David Whitaker takes the cake. There's only really The Sensorites and The Keys of Marinus weighing his season-and-a-half down (and they aren't really awful, either), and his own scripts include the two best Dalek stories and a half-dozen other ones that range from classics to pretty good ones. The Wheel in Space isn't great, but the The Edge of Destruction, The Rescue, The Crusade, The Enemy of the World and The Ambassadors of Death are all perfectly solid.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
HOLY loving WAR DOCTOR

EDIT: under the lake was good too

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
HOLY loving EIGHTH DOCTOR

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cleretic posted:

The translation matrix always seemed to work by replacing the language in question with English (or whatever language they were speaking), I can see a physical language being outside of its ability.

I'm really annoyed every time they bring up the translation matrix simply switching other languages into English as if it were ever that straightforward (is the TARDIS more of a Vermeerian skopos-centric sense-for-sense kinda gal, or is she more into good old Hieronymic word-for-word formally equivalent translation?), but I guess that's just a tiny niggle compared to what physicists and other scientists must feel every week.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The final two-parter of Season 4 is the most pivotal lead-up before Dark Eyes. The Book of Kells and the Ice Warrior two-parter are pretty important for Season 4 too.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I enjoyed that very much indeed. If the rest of the season is more in line with this in terms of pacing than the opening two-parter (which I liked a good deal too, but wouldn't necessarily want eight more episodes of), I'm going to be very happy.

DaredevilVision was really silly, though.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Comedy option - the first boy she fell for, and he turned out to be a complete dickhead, so he's just roaming the Earth too.

Maybe she used it on a mysterious fossilised corpse with a strange star-shaped badge she found in an ancient crater.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I liked "I'm running out of patients", that's a pretty good joke right there that is

Crusader posted:

Is there a good (as in the opinions seem generally sane) review site for BF audios? I haven't listened to any on a regular basis for some years now (like... since 2008 I guess), and I'm not sure what I should check out that's come out in relatively recent times.

Seems you've already found where to start with, but I usually check The Time Scales (and this thread, of course) before buying anything. There's nothing in-depth there, but it's got a big enough community for a pretty good general consensus on what people tend to like.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

jivjov posted:

I'm guessing it's only three stories because they're having the same problem with Tennant/Tate that they do with McGann: it's harder to get active actors in the studio for long stretches of time to record audios. Hopefully these sell really well and they get him back for more!

I'm sure this is just Season 1 and there will be more once they can get them both in the same recording booth again. Great news, in any case! I didn't think the rumour would end up being actually true, but I'm glad it did.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Besides Human Nature (which I'm part of the way through and enjoying immensely), which of the other Doctor Who novels of the Lost Years Era are worth a go? Not interested in reading the whole lot beginning to end, but would be keen to read others of comparable quality to this one.

I'm better acquainted with the Eighth Doctor Adventures than the New Adventures, but of those Alien Bodies is the go-to one. It's an excellent book and a safe choice to start with, and pretty much anything by Lawrence Miles is usually worth a shot besides it.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 26, 2015

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Vincent of Death

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Better than last week's, that's for sure, but it still makes for a very uneven whole. Should be interesting to see if rewatching the two together softens the bigger missteps they took in part one.

Capaldi worked absolute wonders with that climactic scene, though - he really does rightful indignation like no other Doctor, barring perhaps the Sixth and Seventh.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As for the rest of the episode, I'm really not sure what to make of it. It felt like nothing that was actually really set up, thematically, by either episode was really resolved. Meanwhile, the use of the ISIS imagery in the other episode was, if anything, made more distasteful by this episode - the reduction of all revolutionary conflict to "boohoo sometimes things suck get over it" is incredibly insulting. Very easy to say that as a middle class white guy who went to Oxford, less so if you've had the poo poo bombed out of your country on the orders of middle class white guys who went to Oxford.

This did ruin the otherwise pretty good scene a bit for me, yeah. There was some good stuff in there, but more than once it felt like the Doctor was making dumber generalizations than he ought and Zygon Clara simply did not call him out even though she very easily could have.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of Transformers goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze, and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

I would prefer Doctor Who stuff if I'm being honest :ohdearsass:

I seem to remember I was super broke last Christmas and couldn't take part, but this year I should be able to scrimp and scramble up some cash for a present for an Internet stranger. Please take part if you're at all so inclined, everyone! It really is a lot of fun, and all the gifts I've seen people get have been great (especially the ones I've sent, obviously).

In news completely unrelated to what somebody might want to buy me for Christmas, I just finished reorganizing my Who DVD shelf under Colin's watchful eye. They fill the shelf up nicely, which means I'll probably have to move them somewhere else yet again when I next get something new in.

Honestly the novelty of TARDIS-shaped special release box sets is kind of wearing out for me.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Lampsacus posted:

EDIT: While I'm here, may you guys recommend any Classic serials where the Doctor went to strange places? E-Space, that fairy tale land. Settings 'outside the universe' or at least really really bizarre. I'm a huge fan of those sort of things in Doctor Who. How weird does it get?

While it's set in plain old regular outer space, the Fifth Doctor story Enlightenment comes to mind. It has the godlike Eternals having a race in space with old sailing ships, and they all snicker at the Time Lords for making such a show for lording over as small a domain as that.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The McGann stories absolutely do get better, the next one's still a bit shaky but after that it's pretty much one home run after another. The first four stories honestly aren't the best for anyone involved - I think they're perfectly adequate romps (except for, well, you know), and I'm actually a bit partial to The Stones of Venice myself, but none of them are by no means spectacular. Stick with the monthly range though, because Big Finish is just about to hit their stride, and you're going to want to be there when they do.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The_Doctor please make JaKiri my Santee so I can finally get rid of this lovely torn copy of Shakedown* I bought by accident

*(containing unique photographs taken during the shooting of the straight-to-video tie-in movie)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

This should be great simply because Gatiss does a dead-on Anthony Ainley, so it may be the closest we get to that particular dream casting.

Aww man I hate it when people point out obvious holes in my life I never realised were there and can never, ever be filled. This is worse than Leo McKern as Mr Wednesday in American Gods

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Have the Santa emails been sent already? I don't seem to have received mine yet.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

I've not sent out a couple because I had to leave work early. Heading out shortly.

Okay, thanks! Didn't mean to hurry you or anything, I just wondered if something had got lost in the post.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Holy moley.

Capaldi's a hell of a Doctor.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm watching The Time Meddler, because why the hell wouldn't I be, and it's still an extremely slick piece of 60s TV. The part where Steven finds a wristwatch in what's supposed to be 11th century England is so great, and would go over as is just as well in the show today.

Incidentally, I can totally imagine Hartnell going through the puzzle castle and whacking the diamond wall with his cane. He'd have got it done in half the time, too. "That's a, a hell of a bird, hmmm?"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
It was a bit silly that the General regenerated with makeup already on, but I guess there's a precedent to regenerative accessories since Pertwee got a tattoo and Troughton grew an entirely new set of trousers.

Don't really know what I thought of the episode as a whole. Lots of great little moments and Capaldi's eyes alone acted most of the guest cast off the stage, but a lot of it felt really over-indulgent and a bit sloppy. Looks like confused and overwrought Gallifrey epics are back, classic who fans rejoice

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Hey echoplex, you wouldn't happen to a have a pic of that stocking-faced Cyberman head you mentioned, or know if there's one floating around the web somewhere? I'd love to see it, if it's available anywhere. And thanks for posting neat behind the scenes stuff in the thread!

This is a pretty cool picture, yes. It's my desktop wallpaper at the moment, though it's not the first time Capaldi has been in good wallpaper material:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nah, he's made president in the Five Doctors but doesn't meet the Time Lords again until Trial, when it's announced he's been replaced.

Wasn't he made President in The Invasion of Time? I can't remember if he's deposed again during that story or if they address it in The Arc of Infinity, though.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
That original ending is actually explored a bit in the Unbound audio Masters of War, if I remember it correctly (with a dash of added Davros and Brigadier, obviously).

EDIT: I do think the Daleks would have gone on to appear again even if the original ending had aired, though. They were a massive hit pretty much straight off the back of the first episode, and I don't think anything would have changed that. After all, they do pretty much all completely die in the end of the serial, if memory serves, and that didn't stop them from invading Earth a bit later.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2015

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Davros1 posted:

Sir John Hurt in "Only the Monstrous" is Monday.

I'm so conflicted, because on the one hand yes, it is sir John Hurt blowing up Daleks, but on the other, I'm not sure a three-hour Nick Briggs epic is the best vehicle for it. The details they've released for Volume 2 sound a lot more interesting.

(I'm totally going to get all of them anyway, who am I kidding)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I mean, I complained about him a couple pages back and still preordered three hours of war epics written/directed by and co-starring him, so it's not like he's totally terrible.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
What's this nefarious note of nettlesome noisomeness?

what

what

WHAT

Now I'm going to have to have to waste my Christmas stopping a bloody Ormazoid invasion, and suddenly all my seafood and poultry dishes taste really good! Curse you, After the War :sassargh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Forktoss, I got your gift! Thank you! I'll put up a pic later. You are a fine ambassador* for your country.

Oh, good! I was getting a bit worried if it would make it in time. Hope you liked it!

After The War posted:

I'm glad it made it to you, and that I've finally paid you back for the Pip'n'Jane you sent me three years ago. Seeing your post has been a high point in a pretty :smithfrog: week.

Oh man, I should've known that would come back to haunt me. The books are a whole lot of fun and Old Bay really is awesome, so thank you again!

The_Doctor posted:

*of DEATH! <TWAAANG!>

OH poo poo

• Locked thread