Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Doctor's Meditation will be on ABC2 in like ten minutes for Australians. I presume it'll be on iView after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gaz-L posted:

Fairly sure this series isn't going to have Missy running around in a string bikini and torn pantyhose for absurdly contrived reasons, though?

Well no, but she did say

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Michelle Gomez is ridiculously fabulous

Also, "unlimited rice pudding!?" on my television in 2015 :allears:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

remusclaw posted:

False Edit: Same with Cybermen in all honesty,. I feel like every time this show brings back either of the old show's big bad's, it is to diminishing returns.

The Cybermen hadn't had a good TV story since the 60s anyway so this isn't really exclusive to the new series.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

GonSmithe posted:

I'm pretty sure Peter Capaldi probably asked to play the guitar because he plays the guitar and thought it would be cool if his Doctor could play guitar.

no, see, somethingsomething moffat somethingsomething kids somethingsomething tumblr fangirls somethingsomething RUINED FOREVER

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

redreader posted:

Doctor who just pulls poo poo out of his rear end.

"Dr. Who isn't a scientist. He's a wizard."
/

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
As someone that was very "no, gently caress off you idiots, you don't need to explain that" when Moffat first started saying they were going to address the fact that Capaldi was in Pompeii and is now also the Doctor, I liked how that was handled well enough. Very low-key compared to my imagination where they were going to make some big, stupid fanwanky Thing of it.

Also, episode was fun. Liking this season a lot more than the previous so far.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, not exactly the best role for your first trans actress, but I guess I was just happy that there's a trans woman appearing on the show at all that I didn't really think about it too much. Baby steps I guess :shrug:

I thought the episode was pretty good apart from the abrupt non-resolution.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Yes please.

I think this is my most wanted Doctor Who thing. Well, maybe number two after Marco Polo being found, I don't know. I'm just very fond of the Tenth Planet Cybes and would love to see them (or something closer to that concept) come back so much.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Clouseau posted:

Big Finish put a bunch of their most popular main range titles on sale for the week. Any recommendations?

Welp, added Rani Elite and Last of the Cybermen to the evergrowing pile. What a wonderful problem having more Doctor Who than you can get around to is to have.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Susan is such an unfortunate waste of a character outside of Marco Polo and sorta kinda a couple of Companion Chronicles. At least her unused potential shows up a little in the more capable Vicki (until her own terrible write off).

theblackw0lf posted:

Which season? Or which Doctor?

Season 2's Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just never really believed that Vicki would be comfortable living in the twelfth century given that she treated Ian and Barbara's then-contemporary times as positively ancient. Maybe she fancied the guy from her exit but that only goes so far and shifting from the 25th century to ancient Troy seems like a bit of a stretch for a guy you've known for one serial. Plus, the whole "poo poo, the female companion is leaving, we need to write in someone for her to fall in love with" that was the deal at the time.

CommonShore posted:

I just don't like that the first two female companions left the show because they ~fell in love~ and that was enough to get them to decide to live in a wasteland.

I'd like to be able to say "eh, it was the sixties, things were still kinda rough then" but it kinda continues through the seventies with Jo and Leela and into the 80s with Peri.

e: for bonus points, while I don't think Mel was romantically linked with Sabalom Glitz, who she left the Doctor to travel with, the gross 90s novels made a point of saying that her replacement companion, Ace, lost her virginity to him. Hooray for disgusting licenced fanfiction~

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 5, 2015

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I want to watch some Hartnell but I'm caught between The Romans and The Space Museum. Could someone please recommend one of the two?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Even if Clara was pregnant, the events of Dark Water/Death in Heaven combined with seeing Danny again in Last Christmas allowed her to move past it, and heal.

Character write-outs are often harder on the Doctor than the companion.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Someone else please be the canary in the mine that is The Diary of River Song so I know if it's good to dive in.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rochallor posted:

But wasn't there a Dirk Gently series just a couple of years ago?

There was a show that was very, very loosely based on the books yeah. It was a lot of fun but only ran for like four episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

ThaGhettoJew posted:

The internet is a strange, strange place.

You mean wonderful place. The internet is a wonderful, wonderful place.

• Locked thread