Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched the Moon Base. Perfectly serviceable serial, very well paced. It's a Good Cyberman story and didn't involve them being ridiculous at all. It has a brilliant line from the second Doctor that I'm surprised doesn't come up more often. "There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All I know is if the Doctor says something about how Vaccines are the devil and make people sicker, I'm going to have to seriously question why I still watch this show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how I feel about this episode. There were good ideas, but there were so many questions.

I'll wait til next week before I jump head first into it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

So I came up with a Crazy Fan Theory about a Theories Theory.

The basic Level 1 theory: Missy talking about the time the doctor spent as a girl. Actually true. Or will be true. Or will have been true? I haven't read Dr. Dan's 1001 Time Travel Tense formations OK.

The odd Level 2 theory about said theory: Moffat purposefully wrote that line the way he did to get crazy internet people to suspect that the Doctor being a girl at one point was not the lie out of the three.

The Level 3 where Crazy goes to town: Of course, as crazy internet people once suspecting this they come to suspect that the girl who appeared in the trailers must then be the Doctor! What other little girl could possibly play a teenage rebellious gender swapping Doctor than Maisie Williams! She can change her face if you believe Game of Thrones!

Which leaves us at Level 4: We the thread are all the crazy internet people, and we should bow our heads in shame.

Unless the Master is out of synch with the Doctor, and it doesn't appear that way, then the little girl line was a lie. That's just, really obvious.

We know each of the Doctor's regenerations, including the one that didn't happen but happened after all. Unless the Doctor as a child transitioned from female to male, we've seen the First Doctor as a child and he was quite clearly a boy. You're overthinking this.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the sections where Davros is talking about the Daleks as his "children", as well as admitting that he has zero control over them and glorying to the fact that they're holding out on exterminating Clara till she runs. I like the idea that at the end of his life and resigned to his fate (which I don't believe for a second) he's willing to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of his labor, and enjoy the fact his "kids" are doing so well.

Also the Daleks have pretty much just won the Time War at this point. It's not even a question anymore. Davros should be proud.

Why they haven't gotten around to wiping out the human race I am unclear on, but you know.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Remember the line about Clara's manipulator being slaved to Missy's? That will come up again.

I really liked Missy's portrayal of being on an even par with the Doctor, to the point of being a surrogate Doctor for Clara/the audience when the real one is busy chatting to Davros.

PRETTY sure the Master isn't a very good surrogate for the Doctor.

What with the murdering people and trying to make deals with Daleks *AGAIN*.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rochallor posted:

I mean, it wasn't the most content-full episode of Doctor Who ever, but it's a season premiere. They're flashy, showy affairs. It's clearly setting stuff up for the next episode, which I'd expect to be more focused on a single story. It probably plays better for people watching for the first time, even.

Oh no. No. Not at all.

This is a pretty terrible episode to try to watch first. Moffat goes full Who nerd on us in this episode and unloads a lot of poo poo that you wouldn't understand unless you've been watching since at least the 10th Doctor, with reckless abandon and a breakneck pace.

If this was my first episode of Doctor Who, I'd be very, very lost. This reeks of "This is a sequel to something" and is incomplete as its own thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

That has to be the prop from An Adventure in Space and Time, right? That was great to see. Can I ask for a quick tally on what sorts of Daleks were actually in that room? I could recognize the 60s Dalek, the black Dalek from the Cult of Skaro, and the New Who Standard Daleks, but I know there's more.

Still catching up with the thread, but just wanted to chime in that I think I saw one of the Genesis Daleks hanging out in the rafters, which would be appropriate considering what this two parter is reacting to.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Meanwhile, on Outpost Gallifrey there's a big flame thread about how there can be black Kaleds

Holy poo poo really?

I was watching this with friends and made a joke about how this couldn't be Skaro because there was a black person there.

That was a joke about the all white casts of Skaro we've seen in Classic Who, not even a joke about ironic racisim.

THANK YOU WHO NERDS FOR TURNING MY JOKE INTO A REALITY. Thank you so loving much.

Also I have a question. When Davros was a child, that was a long rear end time ago compared to the 'present' of Genesis of the Daleks. Dude was really old even then, just functionally immortal because of his chair. I'll get to that in a moment.

So why, when he was a child, were some soldiers reduced ALREADY to bows and arrows? It's a neat thing that clues you in instantly that this is Skaro, but it doesn't make any sense given how the Doctor described the way the war went, slowly degrading over time technologically. It's a minor thing, but given it's one of the first things we see in the episode, it does bug me.

I also want to know what the gently caress Davros is doing with a snake collective, why the Daleks allow it to live on Skaro, what those dumb hand eye things were, and why there wasn't a single mutant clam anywhere.

Most of those I hope get brought up in the next episode, but this episode just.... It was just a lot of noise. There wasn't a lot of substance.

Also I do not under any circumstances buy that the Doctor would ever choose to go back and kill a child, even if it's to save the life of his friend. And the Master.

Hell if the Doctor is going to be SO motivated to try and go back and change things so dramatically, how about this before we get to the child murder.

Grab Davros and take him to some backwoods orphanage on Earth in the 1920s where he can do no harm. As a child obviously. Or just raise the little bugger yourself and leave him as a mostly well adjusted young man in Modern Day Earth.

Basically anything that isn't knee jerk bullshit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

Why does the Doctor, when experiencing extreme emotion, not calmly do a coldly logical and intelligent thing, like most people do in the real world?

Yep that's what I asked. You're not twisting the meaning of my words at all.

Certainly the main point wasn't 'The Doctor Would Never Kill A Child'

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

It kind of looks like he would, given the end of this last episode. Anyway he's killed children before.

I can't think of any time he's killed an innocent child before. That wasn't part of an inherently evil spider species. That was treated like a bad thing.

Oh except the Time War where the deaths of all those children plagued him for literally centuries and was one of the motivations to save Galifrey above all else.

And it looks like he would try to, but I can't imagine that is genuine. Moffat hasn't lost the script on the kind of character the Doctor is to that extent and I can't believe they won't throw a twist into the next part. Which is why I am not complaining about the scene itself, which you seem to believe I am.

I'm complaining about the IDEA that the Doctor would ever be driven to kill a child because it might bring back a friend of his is ludicrous. That they expect us to believe for one moment that the Doctor would insults our intelligence.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

The Doctor only kills evil children, he definitely wouldn't kill the creator of the Daleks!

You're not even trying are you?

I mean I'm not particularly trying too hard myself but Jesus man. You're really not into this today.

Is work going OK? Everything alright man? We're here for you you don't have to front

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Which they hit firmly on the nose by quoting the Doctor referring to it in Genesis.

Where the Doctor was quite firmly against it, to boot.

Kinda works against you when the old serial you're directly quoting (and showing footage of) shows how the Doctor would act. Something something don't reference better material in your work.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RunAndGun posted:

Yes. I like this new dymanic. They're moving/moved away from the simple white-hat Doctor black-hat Master Light Side of the Force / Dark Side of the Force relationship. Missy's point of view that the Doctor keeps trying to kill her too. Stuff like that. (And at the same time, reaffirming that they're not interchangeable, "No, I've not turned... guud!")

Even thought this all might turn out to be window dressing, I appreciate the fact they're trying to expand/complicated the Doctor/Master relationship.

You have never seen the Doctor and Master interact at any point before have you?

Like, ever.

Except the dumb TV movie I guess. But having gone through almost every single Third Doctor and Master interaction, this is really just the cliff notes of how janky the two are together. I think we've even had the Master having to play nice with the Companions before.

The only difference is, really, that the Master didn't feel the need to constantly pepper his speech with the fact that he's a man back in the day. And a lack of really, really bad disguises.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have a question

The gently caress was the Doctor doing on Skaro in the ancient past?

He has near total control over the TARDIS now. The gently caress was he doing there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Huh, that's interesting.

That one Classic Dalek in the back has the correct color scheme, compared to the two others. Not including the Emperor's Guard, as he's also correct.

I wonder why he has the correct shade of blue and they don't?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will admit I'm kind of annoyed that they're using character specific Dalek props and just shoving them out there without modification or obscuring or anything.

But it's mostly just as a fan of Daleks and recognizing them. It'd be like if....

Well it's kind of like that Ood in the bar, but if the Ood clearly had the Sigma emblem on him.

Right now we have Dalek Sec, Dalek Caan, and Dalek Rose in the room, but they're all just generic Daleks. Sec is the only one who REALLY stands out due to how unique his design is, but Caan and Rose are both very obvious when you know they're there. (Dalek Rose is the Dalek who got emotions thanks to Rose. He is the only Bronze Dalek that has a gold ring around his casing, above his weapons, while all other Bronze Daleks have just brown rings)

I wonder where Rusty is. Maybe he still has his weird dreadlock wires.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Its indestructability has varied over the years, and you'd think the daleks would know how to blow up a TARDIS given the Time War and all

Hell the Cybermen knew how to destroy it back in the Five Doctors, apparently. They just got double crossed by the Master.

You know if anything points to the Daleks being more intelligent than the Cybermen, it's the fact that their general standing orders with the Master are "If we are working together, we will constantly threaten you and make you aware how little we need you, and also keep you as far away from us as possible. If we are not, we will shoot you dead on sight."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RunAndGun posted:

Didn't RTD "need to go" too? And JNT before him?

Let's be fair

JNT wanted to go

There just wasn't anyone to replace him

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So

This was the big news they hinted at months ago before throwing us off the trail right?

Because holy poo poo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Then what is sucking?

I get the joke, it's air pushing them out, not the vacuum pulling them. But if that's the case then there's no such thing as sucking. It can't exist, because it's only ever blowing.

Well you've never heard of a suck job have you?

The only thing that sucks anymore are Moffat's scripts

:)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Forktoss posted:

Ohhh wow, that's massive news! Good for BF. Will be interesting to see who they've got for the scripts.

Turns out this entire series was written by little known fan, David Tenant Age 12.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Davros is at his best in Genesis. It is him at his most human, most complex, and most horrible.

He is not a Dalek, he is a flawed old man who has been twisted by war. He believes that he can save his race but is ultimately wrong and his final moments are spent trying to undo the mistake he made, as his own creations prove how much more ruthless and viscous they are than he could ever be.

Davros would crush a vile that would wipe out all life, but he would do it because of reasons he has. He's not a genocidal freak for no good reason, he's not a cartoon super villain. The Daleks are worse than he is because they would need no reason to unleash that virus. They would WANT no reason to.

And then they brought him back and he became a Saturday morning cartoon character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure, at least, in The Empire Strikes Back almost all of the lovely shooting from the Stormtroopers is literally on purpose. They don't want to kill any of the heroes, they want to corral them, as per Vader's orders.

After that is, you know, less defensible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Diabolik900 posted:

Still seems better to me than when Rose "died".

At least she only died once.

Like the Ten Pity Party before his end, that was fine because he was a vain fucker and it was all about how he didn't want to go.

11 has been for real going to die like twice now, and I really hope they aren't shaping up the same plot thread for 12

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Three times. Lake Silenco, Trenzalore in the future and Trenzalore in the past.

I forgot about that.

God drat 11 stop dying for real.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

Nice rant but a weird mishmash of old and new tech is an established part of the war on Skaro.

I couldn't actually read his rants because most of them became this self parodying self trolling white noise bullshit, but there was one problem I had with the way the war was shown.

Davros, as far as I could imagine, was a very old man in Genesis. A very twisted, old man who had lived for a very long time. By the time of Genesis, his present, they were JUST starting to degrade to the point of using muskets and simple fire arms, maybe arrows were found on the battlefield though for the life of me I don't recall any.

How in the world did some poor schlub get stuck with a *REALLY* primitive bow and arrow back when Davros was a child? That's way too early to be resorting to literal stone age weaponry.

It's not a major point of the episode and it doesn't bug me too much, but it is annoying. I also wish the Skaro planes weren't literally bi-planes but at least they didn't reuse the spit fires from Victory.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

To be fair, Missy didn't kill Danny. A car did. Missy did torture his corpse, though. :shrug:

Yeah the Master just murdered a good chunk of the known universe by accident and then held the rest ransom leading to the death of the Fourth Doctor.

But no one working on this show would remember that anymore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Who the gently caress is a Doctor Who fan AND a private collector? :stare:

Share that poo poo with the world, you Mugabe-wannabe monster :mad:

It might have BEEN Mugabe.

"Finally, the ONLY EPISODE OF DOCTOR WHO I DO NOT PERSONALLY OWN!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The ending basically implied we'd see more of her this season, so there's that at least.

I haven't watched classic Who in a very long time, despite continuing to add DVDs to the growing pile. What should I watch?

Inferno
Ambassadors of Death
Seeds of Doom

Of those three?

The only thing that slows Inferno down is the weird ape people, otherwise it's just a fantastic classic.

Ambassadors of Death is a great, super tightly paced serial by comparison, but isn't as good. It is, however, a hidden gem and well worth a watch.

And

Pick between those

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Has Davros having actual human eyes always been a Thing? As someone who hasn't watched OldWho and have only seen bits and pieces of the makeup work from that time, I figured they were going for a "he doesn't have those eyes anymore" thing.

(and yeah, having watched it again, I'm doubling down on the fact that Davros's reaction to Gallifrey being returned was a genuine one, as is that whole bit in which the two of them share a laugh. Sure, he's manipulating him, but hey, The Doctor saved his people and regardless of anything else, that's a good thing he did :unsmith:)

It was implied, I believe, in Genesis that Davros was utterly blind, outside of his weird third eye. So the implication was always that he just didn't have eyes anymore.

I wonder if his rib cage is still exposed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hope it doesn't slide much further though, I'd hate to see the BBC panic and try to retool everything.

Oh no that would be terrible please don't change such a winning formula as what we have now oh no please why the humanity aaaah.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but it's sounding like the same sort of nonsense that I don't care for in my Who, where the show drinks in its own importance and stops being charming or good and starts being annoying and self important to the point of idiocy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

...I guess that I'm in the minority in liking this ep.
Oh well.

No you're not. Those that do are just louder at the moment.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

FTFY.

For pretty much every episode, maybe "Day of the Doctor" aside, the people who like a given episode each pop in with one post along the lines of "hey, that was a good episode." Meanwhile those who didn't like it post over and over again about why it was the worst thing ever, this episode sucks, this is the doom of Who, etc. etc, etc.

It's always easier to inspire dislike than appreciation, I suppose. :shrug:

This is pedantic as gently caress, but you didn't fix anything.

You just said what I said with more words. And as a wordy motherfucker, that's not a good thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaspel posted:

Lol piss off. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, some people like it and some don't, don't dismiss people as being loud mouthy bastards just because you disagree with them.

You do realize that's not what I was doing or conveying right?

The first thing I said was meant to be more neutral. Lots of people said they liked the episode, then a few others came in and started critiquing the episode as is their wont. The people who said they liked it generally just did only that, while the people who complained posted a lot more.

Which is why I said the people complaining were simply louder at the moment- as I am one of those people complaining, I don't think I was being at all dismissive about them.

At least I'd like to think so!

And *I* am the mouthy bastard in the context of what you're quoting. Specifically I was referring to myself as the wordy motherfucker, because normally my posts look like...This. I was just pointing out that he pretty much said the same thing I did, but with more words.

I think you read way more malice in what I said then I could ever care to intend. People can like or dislike the episode all they want, that's fine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kikka posted:

I like Daleks screeching "Have pity!" (like in "Dalek") over "Mercy!". The first one still has the air of command over it.

It plays into who they are as characters. The Dalek that said Have pity knew he was drat near dead anyways, and that the Doctor would very, VERY happily kill him. So he lied his rear end off, as he did again with Rose until he got what he needed.

The Dalek begging River for Mercy is just stupid and reeks of pet character status for River. But whatever.

I really miss Daleks being actual characters. For a little while there, I thought we were going to get back to that version of the Daleks, where they would make alliances with other races and team up and have characters and not just be generically roboticly evil all the time. And then they just kinda went into flux as Moffat tried to reinvent them left and right and I don't think they've been the same in any single appearance after Victory. They keep wildly changing how they operate and who they are, often not for the better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have yet to see the episode due to goon friend being out of town, but that's one thing I hope they address. I knew they wouldn't address how the gently caress Davros is still around, though it would have been nice- but the Doctor doesn't just have regeneration energy whenever. He has to be mortally wounded for it to be in effect. Like, that's the only rule laid down about the stupid stuff so far. His regeneration is only in effect for 24 hours after he does it, which HAS been a plot point a few times in the Revival.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

Eleven healed River Song's hand in The Angels Take Manhatten. Which makes even less sense because Eleven didn't have any regenerations left.

Please don't talk bollocks.

Look, trying to defend this episode with a frankly awful episode isn't going to win me over. It's just going to make me annoyed at how bad the writers are at internal logic and consistency.

And yes, drat it, that should be important for this show. Unless you want to argue that only an idiot would care about what buttons do what on the TARDIS console.

:ssh: If you know who that references

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to have her just randomly show up in a story that has nothing to do with her what so ever, like the Claws story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

I recently purchased Archives so Lowtax can feed his kids, and I found the thread where the revival is announced (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717262). Here are the suggested Ninth Doctors:

-Chris Barrie
-Richard O'Brien
-Steve Coogan
-Anthony Steward Head
-John Cleese
-Michael Palin
-"The guy who played Arthur Dent"
-David Warner
-Eric Idle
-Mark Gatiss
-Alan Davies

Imagine if we had Mark Gatiss as the Doctor while writing for the show :psyduck:

To be fair

He'd still be the Doctor to this day

So that'd be different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Moffat has no loving idea how the Daleks actually work or what they are right?

Like, none at all.

Also why the gently caress would the Daleks care a little bit about Davros right now? Last we saw him, he was their Pet who got to stay in the basement so long as he didn't gently caress with anything that they didn't approve of. Now they're all DAVROS MUST BE PROTECTED again for no drat reason even though well written Daleks have never exactly gelled with him trying to be their leader, because he is inferior to them.

Also, this was about the most hamfisted way possible Moffat could have written Davros.

Remember in Journey, how there was that awesome little moment where Davros, while talking about the ultimate victory of the Daleks and how all life will be wiped out, did that little motion of breaking the capsule that would end all life that he and the Doctor bullshitted about back in Genesis? How it was such a fantastic moment because it wasn't even something he consciously did, it was just a subconscious little gesture and it in one motion pulled back all of that history?

Well never mind that! Instead we're just going to have him liberally requote the big speeches from Genesis!

I swear to God the Daleks have not been written the same ONCE by Moffat. The best story they've had under him has been Victory of the Daleks WHICH HE DIDN'T WRITE. Moffat, stop trying to write the Daleks. You fail at it.

• Locked thread