Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Hmmm. New thread. That's weird.

I don't like it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Just in time. I've just started a brief marathon of the most recent episodes starting from Name of the Doctor. It's a good thing there are no bad episodes after that point. Going to be a great weekend.

In the Forest of the Night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It had a handful of good episodes, which was a big step up from some years!!!

It had a pair of fantastic episodes, a couple decent ones, one or two that were dumb but entertaining, and just one utter turd that shouldn't have been made.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Guys, you're all forgetting the best part of this episode. Classic 60's-Skaro white-and-blue Daleks :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

That has to be the prop from An Adventure in Space and Time, right? That was great to see. Can I ask for a quick tally on what sorts of Daleks were actually in that room? I could recognize the 60s Dalek, the black Dalek from the Cult of Skaro, and the New Who Standard Daleks, but I know there's more.

You forgot the Heavy-Weapons Dalek.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I actually cheered when the Type 1 Dalek appeared out of nowhere.

This episode had a lot of good and bad in it, but I loved that they had a classic Dalek capture them rather than just stick it in the background of the room with all the Daleks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

I also want to know what the gently caress Davros is doing with a snake collective, why the Daleks allow it to live on Skaro, what those dumb hand eye things were, and why there wasn't a single mutant clam anywhere.

Davros doesn't command the Daleks and hasn't for ages. They probably don't even know he's there (or don't care, at least). The hands were clearly mentioned to be Hand Mines. Guess they grab you and pull you underground to suffocate :shrug:.

As for how they get from bows and arrows to bunkers and Daleks, there's probably lulls in the war spent re-inventing bombs and guns every so often rather than a steady decline in tech.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

I'm complaining about the IDEA that the Doctor would ever be driven to kill a child because it might bring back a friend of his is ludicrous. That they expect us to believe for one moment that the Doctor would insults our intelligence.

It's Davros though. It's not just about it just being a kid, it's that it's the Hitler paradox. Leaving the kid to die was the best he bring himself to do and it clearly didn't work, so now it's gotta be seen to personally.

edit:

Organza Quiz posted:

I actually think exactly the opposite. Clara being "killed" isn't much of a cliffhanger at all because we all know for an absolute fact that Clara/the TARDIS can't be actually dead and will definitely come back. Ending on the Doctor facing down Davros as a child is a much bigger cliffhanger because although we can be fairly sure he's not going to actually kill him it's much less certain than Clara staying dead.

Agreed. It's a kid, he'd never kill a kid, but after the Time War, all those trillions upon trillions dead because of what that kid will one day create, well...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EricFate posted:

Neither address the extermination of his companion, Missy, or the Tardis, but we have a planet that was disguised as a space station, so we're already operating from the point where we know that nothing a character sees can be trusted. I hope that isn't the case, and that they go with a more thoughtful solution than pulling back the curtain, but I've seen it too often to not be expecting it. Here's hoping for the unexpected.

I just took that as Missy knowing exactly what was going to happen and goading them into it on her terms so she was ready to fire off the Vortex Manipulator at just the right time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Of course this brings up any manner of other problems mentioned by others earlier in the thread, not least of which is that UNIT comes across as incompetent - perhaps the worst scene being when Clara asks about the fuel and Kate goes,":aaa: I never thought of that!" but I think the title's meaning was fairly obvious in the context of the episode.

I took that as more UNIT trying to think of every extraordinary/alien possibility without taking a step back to look at the mundane ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

I will admit I'm kind of annoyed that they're using character specific Dalek props and just shoving them out there without modification or obscuring or anything.

It doesn't really matter beyond the point is that it's Skaro. If ever there was going to be a mixed bag of Daleks, it'd be there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaz-L posted:

Also he's an old, dying man. You have to do something in your spare time at that age. Potter about in the shed out in the wasteland of Skaro while the kids are off doing genocide or whatever it is the young mutants do these days. Making a snake man passes the time and when you're done, it's even useful!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I'm not defending anything in this episode, but it does make sense that Davros would have some non Dalek lifeforms to do his work for him. Especially since his children aren't very loyal, or personable.

"I have a life outside of creating Daleks, you know :rolleyes:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I still hold that Moffat's run would be overall improved if he wasn't juggling Sherlock as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

If you need to find the Doctor, who do you call to help you if not his best friend who he goes places with all the time?

Having Clara along is probably more about making the Doctor behave. He's a loose cannon without someone to reign him in, and the Master going on her own (without a diabolical plan in the works) isn't going to be enough to make him get his act together - She was right there alongside him for all the really bad poo poo in the Time War.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

After The War posted:

With the exception of the the Battles of Yavin (in which they were nearly totally wiped out) and Endor (ugh), the Rebels lose every conflict with the Empire and sustain massive casualties. The protags just have plot armor, or a very forgiving GM.
:goonsay:

Actually their GM's just as baffled as to how they get away with their poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

I'm pretty sure, at least, in The Empire Strikes Back almost all of the lovely shooting from the Stormtroopers is literally on purpose. They don't want to kill any of the heroes, they want to corral them, as per Vader's orders.

After that is, you know, less defensible.

They never know if Vader wants those guys alive or not, so best to play it safe and shoot near them :pseudo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kikka posted:

dalek dog bollocks

getting rid of missy was part of a b-plot, and this happens by daleks refusing to acknowledge her character and rejecting her wacky speech. missy was trying to derail the episode, the daleks brought it right back. mad respect.

Yeaaah no. The thing about the Missy is you want to make drat sure she stays right where you can see her, and even then you're only mildly safer. She goaded the Daleks into shooting her on her own terms and now she could be anywhere doing anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trin Tragula posted:

The influence for that sequence seemed to me to be clearly WW1 (I'm pretty sure that Young Davros is wearing puttees); believe me, disembodied hands suddenly appearing out of the mud in the middle of a wasteland is entirely in keeping with the theme.

Not to mention that wars are not clean or organized. A field of hand-mines are probably an old, old, leftover from when they could be made. Laser cannons on a bi-plane are probably the Thal's last few working ones slapped onto the only aircraft they have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kikka posted:

someone smarter than me should try to explain if theres any symbolical/analytical reason to use those hand things. if there isn't any the only reasons are "pun" and "something to .gif".

They're something unique and a bit frightening for small children. You know, Doctor Who :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

computer parts posted:

Yeah I thought the Daleks was just spying on him the whole time. I guess it doesn't really make sense since Davros is actively looking for the Doctor.

I doubt it will be mentioned again though.

Davros != Daleks. They're not on speaking terms, remember. The nicest thing that can be said about them is that the Daleks can't bring themselves to kill Davros. Anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plant-based and likely extinct thanks to the Sixth Doctor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cargohills posted:

What was wrong with it? It was well written, well acted, funny and fantastically directed. What more is there to ask?

This one was a much more fun episode and much better written. My favourite moment had to be the Doctor wheeling out in Davros' chair and declaring "admit it, this is your worst nightmare! :smuggo:"

Jerusalem posted:

I think so, he's smart enough to be genuine in service of a lie. It works both ways too, I think the Doctor was being genuine in a lot of what he said even though he figured there was probably a 99% chance Davros was going to try and pull a fast one.

That makes the scenes between them a lot stronger for me, because I thought a lot of what both characters was saying was heartfelt, even if they were both trying to outplay each other.

It's what makes the Doctor. It's Davros and almost certainly a trap, but if there's a chance, a glimmer of a possibility that it might be genuine, then he's gonna cling to it for all it's worth. With a backup plan for the moment the trap falls.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 27, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angela Christine posted:

I love that apparently now the TARDIS is actively in on the joke. 'Missy and Clara teleported away instead of being killed, guess I'll just play along and atomize myself until the Doctor needs me.'

I'd take it as more that the Doctor has had 1,100-odd years to do something about the Daleks trying to kill his TARDIS if they ever got their suction cups on it again.

Cleretic posted:

I think my favorite part, doing no disservice to the rest of the episode, was The Only Other Chair On Skaro.

I was astounded that they got such an amazing joke out of Davros. :suspense:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Didn't we already have Timelord-Dalek hybrids in Daleks in Manhattan?

Or do Timelord-Dalek-Pigmen not count?

The basis for them was human. This was an attempt at a straight blending of Time Lord and Dalek DNA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Psybro posted:

The only thing I didn't like was that a Time Lord/Dalek hybrid is a bit of a poo poo pointless thing to have, which is why it never came up before. A Time Lord in a tank doesn't really have much to gain over a mutant blob in a tank, you know?

I don't think (or at least I'm hoping) it's really meant to go anywhere past "oh poo poo, they're all restored! Davros hosed up, he hosed up bad. :vomarine:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's also actually a flub. Daleks have said "Mercy" before, to River Song in The Big Bang. But time travel, Doctor Who, etc, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

happyhippy posted:

It's the first time the Doctor heard it. It's not a flub per se, as Sing's Dalek has always had that mercy dna just we didn't know about it.

Hence "Doctor Who, time travel, etc, etc" :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Oh. So the first Carla was not the Dalek one or the snow nanny, those were just a split of her from modern day "real" Clara. Did the other Clara's have childhoods, like we're born, grew up, and then were killed? Or did they just pop into exsistance and got jobs right away?

Im not trying to be a jerk or anything just doesn't make sense.

They all had normal lives, right up until they were in the right place at the right time to make sure the Great Intelligence didn't gently caress up the Doctor and then went on having a normal life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Davros's costume is great

The last time they tried upgrading his costume, Davros became a white-and-gold candy dispenser.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

I did like it better, and it's full of amazing moments, but watching it a second time it's pretty eh knowing that both the Doctor and Davros are entirely acting at each other and nothing we're seeing is real for a substantial portion of the episode. (Although I do choose to believe Davros' sentiments about the Time Lords returning were genuine)

Nah, the Doctor went into that genuinely believing that there might be some small chance it's true. He just had a Plan B in case it wasn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Namtab posted:

The sunglasses are dumb!

Yeah, they really are. I'm willing to give them a slight pass if he'll fold them up and wave them around screwdriver-style though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

Well never mind that! Instead we're just going to have him liberally requote the big speeches from Genesis!

You mean the part where Davros is using the quote about the capsule as a little jab of irony about the Doctor now actually having the power to kill all Daleks on Skaro with a single simple action?

"One knife, so many backs...."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burkion posted:

Yes I mean exactly that.

Use your own words. Don't liberally reuse both the Do I Have The Right speech and the To Hold In My Hand speech and expect me to give you full marks. Or any really, since it was all bullshit on both sides.

The whole point is that Davros is taking what the Doctor told him millennia ago and throwing it right back in his face. It's not a quote for the sake of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, that's the thing. I don't think it's entirely fake, they're hiding agendas but I think they're sharing their actual feelings.

Yeah, I'd take that they're speaking in earnest if only to take a once-in-a-lifetime moment to have a chat that isn't hanging under imminent death or a ticking clock for once. Or at least to pass the time until Davros doublecross the Doctor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think if we count all the books and such Skaro and Gallifrey are actually even on the "number of times blown up and then not" scale.

Nah, Gallifrey was only hidden away and made to look like it blew up (okay so the first go-round probably counts as once). Skaro got clean destroyed at least twice. Once by Seven tricking the Daleks into turning their own sun into a supernova, and the other during the Time War.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PriorMarcus posted:

Jubilee.

Also, it bothers the gently caress out of me that's there's no consistency to Moffat'a Daleks. Instead of the red supreme Dalek being charge here why wasn't it the same Dalek Supreme that was leading parliament? Or even one of the new designs they spent an entire episode justifying and are still all over promotional materials? Seriously; they had all those Dalek designs in a room together and not a singular new paradigm one.

No-one liked the New Paradigm ones. Plus they only existed to be eye-level with Karen Gillian.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I thought the Asylum was a separate world, not Skaro? The whole point being it was a dumping ground for the most insane Daleks at the rear end-end of the universe?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cargohills posted:

Even some of the new series Daleks in the episode are fan made, I think.

Even Dalek Sek was a fan prop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Levelling the tower would theoretically be even worse, because then they wouldn't know where is is or if they really killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

Also, series 1-4 were filmed on videotape, I believe, so that contributes a certain look and feel to it as well.

I hope they're better stored than past years masters :ohdear:.

• Locked thread