Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was my least favourite so far this season, but I wasn't about to call it A Bad Episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They better tone back the Clara Super Spy crap becuase that's what lost me with Martha.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked the episode because Clara might be dead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

I don't think he's been a passive observer - there have been times where he's not as active/running about as Ten and Eleven - but there has been a lot of talking and planning on his part. I don't know if I should chalk it up to Capaldi being a bit older than most actors who have played the Doctor, but has anyone else noticed a...lower energy or more detached Twelve this series?

Well isn't that how the series opened? The Doctor is melancholy (I typed "depressed" and it felt wrong) and writing his will?

Anyway, I like Capaldi's energy level. Before his casting had been announced I had been hoping for some grey hair in the tardis because we had just sat through two runs of boyish heartthrob Doctors. A bit of broodiness and introspection shapes the character differently and allows contrast with previous series. As it's an adventure show though, it still requires some protagonist activity, and that's falling to the companion. When it comes down to it, that's Doctor Who's real strength as a property - it has the built-in option of rebuilding it to freshen things up every few years, as to explore things from slightly different languages. No other show can do that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was delivered well, it had the political understanding of an angry libertarian teenager.

:agreed: Because people just go do "War" because they want "war." No, states go to war because they have specific greviances and desires which have not been resolved through diplomatic channels. But this isn't the thread for that.

Anyway. I thought Capaldi was good, but the content of the speech mediocre, and the bad guy Zygon was pretty bad. I actually cringed a bit at the final endpoint of the episode with the Osgoods.

I skipped a few pages of the thread to ask this question because I need to catch a bus:

If the Truth and Consequences, NM thing was just a recent development in the "Truce" situation, why were the buttons labelled that way?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good episode. Second the "copy and paste" on the Clara death scene. Was it my imagination or do her eyes look really wonky in that last bit?

Anyway, I had expected there to be a Unit/Tower of London bend in this ep b/c of the "Raven" thing in the title.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just like watching Doctor Who :shobon:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm watching The Chase / Journey Into Terror right now and the idea of a "custom scary house" seems to anticipate what happened in that confession dial somehow. Not sure if there's any connections that can (or should) be drawn from it, but :shrug: It's just interesting to me I guess given all of the speculation that's happening.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Since we're talking about "what to watch" I'm going to share something I made a bit ago, shortly before I started following this thread in fact. I was gushing to a friend of mine about how much I was enjoying this season and he asked for some recommendations of Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith episodes. He has no regard for continuity or spoilers - he just wanted pure entertainment in 2-3 eps per season which showed something of the show's range (which imo is the best part of Doctor Who - it has the freedom to explore any sci fi premise). These are also slightly tailored to his particular taste (he loves Borges, Chesterton, and Lovecraft, just to give an idea of his personality). Here's what I came up with in about 10 minutes:

Season 1 (2005)
Required Viewing
eps 9/10 - "The Empty Child" + "The Doctor Dances"
Suggested Viewing
ep 6 - "Dalek"

Season 2
Required Viewing
ep 2 - "Tooth and Claw"
Suggested Viewing
eps 8/9 - "The Impossible Planet" + "The Satan Pit"

Season 3 (2007)
Required Viewing
ep 10 - "Blink"
Suggested Viewing
178 (ep nil) "The Runaway Bride"

Season 4 (2008)
Required Viewing
ep 8-9 "Silence in the Library" + "The Forest of the Dead"
Suggested Viewing
ep 2 "The Fires of Pompeii"

Special
201/3 - "The Waters of Mars" (November 2009)

Season 5 (2010)
Required Viewing
ep 1 "The Eleventh Hour"
Suggested Viewing
(this season is one that has some solid continuity, and it's hard to make a recommendation - these four are great together. You'll like the takeaway)
ep 8-9 "The Hungry Earth" + "Cold Blood"
ep 12-13 "The Pandorica Opens" + "The Big Bang"

Season 6 (2011)
Suggested
Ep 5-6 "The Rebel Flesh" + "The Almost People"
Required
ep 8 "Let's Kill Hitler"

Season 7 (2012-13)
Suggested
Ep 1 "Asylum of the Daleks"
Ep 3 "A Town called Mercy
Ep 7 "The Rings of Akhaten" (note to SA - I added this after the fact because he had seen a still and was curious about what was happening in this shot of Matt Smith staring down a cosmic-sized hate demon thing, and I confirmed that it is indeed a good episode)
Required
Ep 9 "Hide"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I actually kinda like this episode, so I don't quite get the hate for it around here. The premise of the time travel allowing that weird family structure is also selected for his taste.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wanted him to get the Last Centurion into the list, but I couldn't figure out how to give that to him without Rory's erasure. To be honest now that I take a look at those episode summaries, I think I just took a quick look to remind myself of where Rory's erasure happened without looking at the rest of what actually goes on in those episodes.

e. I have to admit that I found it challenging to pick Smith-era episodes that stand alone but also have the really cool stuff.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thrawn527 posted:

The theory is, if Eccleston had said yes, there would have been no need for War Doctor.

Oh, he would have been the one with the cosmic kablooie widget in the broken house in the desert instead of John Hurt?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How many more hours til the new ep drops?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gaz-L posted:

Like... 18? It's only 3am here in God's True Timezone.

shucks. I want it now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm working through the classic ones too. I'm presently picking through season 3 but I'm actually finding many of these to be not that great.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Box of Bunnies posted:

Susan is such an unfortunate waste of a character outside of Marco Polo and sorta kinda a couple of Companion Chronicles. At least her unused potential shows up a little in the more capable Vicki (until her own terrible write off).

Season 2's Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Oh yeah I liked Vicki but I skipped her writeoff episode because I wasn't in the mood to watch a reconstructed story. When I went back to find out what happened I was like "she fell in love? gently caress off."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the context of Doctor Who, she is literally Cressida (in that Cressida is her), but a redeemed Cressida. She stays behind because she loves Priam's son and wants to help rebuild Troy. In terms of character motivations that's a decent one I thought?

Maybe? I only reread the summary from wikipedia to find out what happened. I just don't like that the first two female companions left the show because they ~fell in love~ and that was enough to get them to decide to live in a wasteland.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's essentially identical to the way Susan left, yes, but unlike Susan it's more supported in the text.

To be honest "Fell in love" or "Tired of all the danger" account for most of the companions, with at a guess "Just written out" coming third (Dodo, Liz for example)

With Suzan it's even worse because she's an alien, right? (or am I wrong in understanding that she was supposedly a "Time Lord," even though that term hasn't been used yet as of s3e08)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I felt that this ep was a bit of a mess. I actually did watch it with someone who had never before watched any Doctor Who (5 of us met up for lunch and 4 of us really wanted to watch it) and she had no clue whatsoever what was going on. The whole "I will shatter all of time because... Clara was a bit much." Apocalyptic stakes aren't that interesting.

I'm actually a bit sad about the departure of the sunglasses and the return of the screwdriver, but mostly because I loathe nerd fandoms and anything that makes them go :qq: mah canons :qq: makes me smile. Anything that shakes up "the doctor is _____" keeps the show fresh for me, so a return to some arbitrary notion of "normal" is a bit disappointing. Plus Capaldi did look cool in them. I liked the jelly-stained tshirt + black coat + electric guitar Doctor because it's just loving awesome.

Re: "The Doctor's Past" + continuity stuff + retcons - it's a time travel show. Paradoxes and contradictions are intrinsic. Just roll with it because that's what makes the series a good take on that premise.

And did I read this wrong, or was Me literally sitting in the ruins of Galifrey at the end of time? Was that perhaps the the actual prophecy manifest?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

microwave casserole posted:

I should really go back and watch more of Seasons 1-4 sometime. I liked Matt Smith so much that I wasn't very interested in anyone else's doctor, but now Capaldi's run has gotten me more open to things. Most of those earlier episodes do look really cheap though, and not in a charming way.

Think of them less in terms of "cheap and bad" and more of "wow, they actually did something pretty cool and ambitious with a ton of constraints and low tech." Many of the scripts are strong enough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The next companion should be a bass player.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dr_rat posted:

I think you mean drummer...

...Possibly one with their own per-existing robot skeleton side-kick tagging along.

I think that the TARDIS can provide sufficient percussion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just realized that the season begins with the origin of the Davros on Skaro and ends with the final heat death of Galifrey. Some nice symmetry there.

Actually, this series has a decent amount of symmetry:

Ep 2 features Clara trapped; ep 11 features the Doctor trapped.
Ep 3 ends with a suggestion of the Doctor's death; ep 10 ends with Clara's death.
Ep 4 and 9 are both dealing with weird paradoxes, kinda (this is a stretch)
Eps 5, 6, 7, and 8 have a bunch of themes with non-humans trying to coexist with humans (Ashildr, Zygons), and memory (Ashildr, the whole zygon peace).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I forgot to delete the article when I changed it from Daleks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Attitude Indicator posted:

ho hum, there's a small difference in storytelling between Pynchons 1000 page novels and a 60 minute episode of TV.

See Heaven Sent vs Hell Bent. Which is the most focused story and which is the better one? hint: it's the same one.

Twin Peaks?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cliff Racer posted:

Go back a page, I actually point that out as being a lovely facet of the really old episodes before they settled on 4/6 parters for every serial.

At this point its been like a year and a half since I've seen it so I can't argue too definitively but I seem to remember it being more that the show was portraying peace at any cost as wrong. Its not like the serial was pro-war though, I think it did do a lot to talk about how war is bad. The whole first episode is spent exploring the seemingly dead planet-still not recovered from a nuclear war that took place, IIRC, hundreds of years prior. The semi-permanent nature of radiation is a huge plot point throughout the whole serial with the main characters basically falling over and being placed in mortal peril because of it. The Daleks, who were depicted as being in the right in the original war, mutated into beings that needed what was basically a bumper car to move around and were restricted to just that one city where they managed to hold out and not die. The Thals had to live in what I remember as being some sort of hut or tree-house type thing. And finally the final battle was shot in such a way that you were supposed to feel bad for both the Daleks and Thals who died. Despite being a "childrens show", albeit one that at least was trying to educate people, I think most of the concepts in the episode were pretty classic sci-fi.

Looking back on that, I really regret that they degenerated the concept of the Daleks into Nazi Trashcans that were invented all at once by a mad scientist. Yeah, its hard to bring back those "The Daleks" Daleks but I think we could have done better than what we got.

I watched it this fall. The Thals had migrated from a "plateau" where they had been hiding for centuries but which was no longer capable of supporting their meagre agricultural society as it had since the war. In that story they more or less just live "in the woods."

I don't think that wrong is the right word to describe the story's attitude towards pacifism. I'd go with "naively idealistic in any absolute form." The gist of Ian's rant to the Thals is "peace is well and good when it's possible, but you have literal insane murder machines living in that city, and 'peace' isn't part of their vocabulary, so you'll need a different plan." Likewise, I don't remember much sympathy for the dying Daleks at all. By the time we get to the final battle, they had already been established as genocidal psychopaths who want to exterminate everything. The Doctor &al had already unceremoniously killed one to escape imprisonment, and the Daleks had already used a diplomatic ruse as an opportunity to kill the Thals' pacifist leader. The only sympathy I remember the show offering to them is for them as living things which had become so wretchedly dependent on technology that they more or less became inert balls of flesh as soon as the floor was unplugged.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone able to give me a link to a gallery of reasonably high-res (large enough to print as 4*6 photo style images) Doctor Who stills? I want to pick out about 18 to 20 to print on decent paper.

I've decided to put framed pictures of William Hartnell and others up on my walls as if they are my family.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Google image search '1st doctor' etc, and then fiddle with the search tools so you're looking for 'large' pictures. That'll bring up the high res ones. Just found this rather good one by doing that:

Yeah that's what I've been doing so far. I just wasn't sure if there was some kind of super secret goon repository of good images. I might also just take some of my own screenshots.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

jivjov posted:

There're doing theatrical screenings of the Christmas special this year. Looks like the 28th and the 29th.

I'm getting tickets with a friend and we're going to drive two hours to see it!

:v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:3: The Tenth Planet

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

computer parts posted:

So I finally caught up with S9 because school and everything distracted me after the Dalek two parter.

Overall pretty good. I'm guessing like me, everyone else found the Sandman episode to be the weakest, although it was very experimental (at least for Who) and I can respect it for that. The only really strange thing I thought was having the Woman who Lived right after the Girl who Died, but I guess there's not really anywhere else you can put it and still give Face the Raven the time it needs to develop.

The ending didn't quite stick but I appreciate that instead of having a big end of the universe plot it's just the Doctor trying to save someone he cares about. The way they left the door open for Jenna Coleman to come back (even if just reoccurring) was a bit sloppy, but not significantly different from other stories.

In retrospect, Heaven Sent kind of ruins the pacing of the overarching story, but it's so good as an episode that I think it's worth it.

The first Zygon ep is the one that I think thread consensus puts at the bottom of the pile, but I tend to agree with you. The Sandman to me was ambitious but it felt incomplete.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What second doctor reconstructions are worth watching? Last night I wasn't much in the mood to watch reconstructed stories in my "whole series*" run through, so I skipped anything marked "Recon", but then BOOM, I'm at The War Games (which is fun), and then to #3. I was shocked how few second doctor stories are complete. Is it only War Games and Tomb of the Cybermen?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

echoplex posted:

I liked the guitar stuff too. When it came to getting his second guitar (he has a Yamaha... thing at the start of the series), the buyers were looking at getting a Squier Strat (we don't have any money) but I kept pushing for them to look into an SG. They weren't keen because it didn't have the tremolo arm - which either the script or Peter wanted, can't remember - so I convinced them to stump for the Bigsby arm on it too. I was convinced that the SG was waaay more Peter than a bog-spec Strat, and they just look nicer too:

And then a week after it was delivered, I saw this post:

:viggo:

when I saw the SG I actually said, aloud, "AN SG! NICE!" (to my otherwise empty apartment)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Short runs are the price we pay for lead actors that are, quite frankly, a lot better than this show deserves

Interesting way to look at it. Not sure if it's right or if it's wrong.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MisterBibs posted:

The only thing I disliked about the most recent episode is that the Doctor and River discuss the whole "the next time you see me it'll be the last, sorry" thing, at length. Sure, the "I'm running out of pages in my diary" thing is clever as hell, but River didn't play the Library two-parter like she went into it knowing it was the last time. It was just another time she got help from the Doctor, only it wound up being her last and his first time.

I didn't even mind that they retconned 11 not being the one to go to the Singing Towers with River. That's so 11 to say ":geno: I'm going to do this :geno:" and then flake out.

I just watched The Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead

a) It's loving awesome.

b) She seems part way through to figure out it's the end.

c) I miss Donna.

d) She says "he showed up on her doorstep with a new haircut and a suit," and it's at that moment she lays it all out. I don't think that "a new haircut" excludes new face in space time traveller body changing euphemisms.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 27, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I don't think it was ever specifically said that 12 was the last Doctor she would know. In fact in the library, I'm sure she mentions that Tennant was much younger looking than the Doctor (she has just spent 24 years with) she knows who gave her the scredriver, and forgive me but Smith is younger than Tennant by my last reckoning.

She goes on about the eyes. Younger eyes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh here's another :tinfoil:

I rewatched last year's xmas special right after I watched this one. One of the two elves has WOLF on the back of his coat. I couldn't find a shot of the back of the other one's. Any significance there?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love how I got dogpiled for putting "Let's Kill Hitler" into my short list of "Must Watch" episodes for my friend, because it is "Peak Moffat" and "literally the worst," but it's also the most referenced and most discussed episode in this thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So this was my first Series (Season) in this thread. What happens here while we wait for 10? Lots of Big Finish discussion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dabir posted:

Jamie - 1967
Harry (aha, you forgot about him!) - 1975
Turlough - 1983
Mickey - A total joke who spent three episodes on the TARDIS in 05-06
Jack - Three or four episodes and went on to Torchwood
Rory - OK, I forgot about Rory. But he was Amy's other half in quite a lot of ways, he would have been nothing by himself.

My point is that if you're still watching the show after, just taking the revival, Rose, Martha, Donna and Amy, clearly you don't have a problem with women being on-screen and being awesome (alright, it's still possible if your favourite was Martha).

You forgot the greatest of all companions, of either (ok, fine, "any" gender) - Wilfred Mott.

:colbert:

• Locked thread