Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Discontinuity Guide gives a good review to Delta and the Bannermen, clearly not to be trusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For Atlantis-Watchers, The Underwater Menace features it again!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After The War posted:

The DiscContinuity Guide is its own brand of crazy, related only by title to that accursed tome.

Oh right

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

I just watched the Moon Base. Perfectly serviceable serial, very well paced.

Agreed. Although there are much better BUS episodes in Troughton

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Boy the last series was noooooot good, I hope this one is better!

It had a handful of good episodes, which was a big step up from some years!!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It was going to be a 2 and then I thought "Would I rather watch that again or The Underwater Menace (the most recent serial I watched, which was a 2) again?".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

the crude, brute-force time travel they developed for stories like The Chase.

Which is an interesting retcon because the Dalek's time machine was explicitly better than the TARDIS in The Chase

Megaspel posted:

They even hosed up just reversing his 12 lifespan-lifespan or whatever "oh no I'm dead, oh whoops no I'm not lol" in like an instant.

That wasn't even a thing, it was brought up and then resolved in the old series and the fandom has grabbed onto it as an immutable rule (unlike the other million billion Time Lord special abilities that have been mentioned and then ignored).

EccoRaven posted:

I figured it was Skaro from the bow and arrow at the beginning, that image from Genesis is probably what I remember most from those episodes.

Or maybe the fact that Davros was there :v:

Chokes McGee posted:

e: god drat that was a fantastic episode, I don't care what anyone says. It's the first New Who that felt legitimately like the Old Who, only with a special effects budget.

As someone who's watched 72 Doctor Who serials in the last month, it really really really really didn't.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

In all seriousness though, I haven't watched it for a while but I kinda recalled the Daleks only being able to follow the path that the Doctor was taking in his TARDIS, and the only time it actually goes anywhere ahead of the TARDIS is when the Doctor gets inside and programs it to return Ian and Barbara to 1963 (and he screws that up too!)?

No, the fact that they are able to follow the Doctor is used as evidence that it's really sophisticated.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also, strictly speaking The Planet of the Daleks was Spiradon :reject:

And that 1960's dalek didn't have the solar panels that were added in The Chase so wouldn't be able to move on the rocky surface of the planet :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Modern nerd poo poo in general seems to be obsessed with "cool moments". Same as the Avengers (especially the most recent one) and it just makes it unwatchable for me.

computer parts posted:

I think it was you

No!!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

This complaint is funny because for the past few years the complaint has been "why is Moffat referencing stuff we never saw in previous episodes and expecting us to take it at face value?"

No it hasn't

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

The Ood in the background of the cantina scene is much more "old and used" than a one liner about Atlantis.

A one liner about Atlantis that makes sense if you know that The Underwater Menace, The Daemons and The Time Monster have three separate descriptions of how Atlantis was destroyed, but doesn't make sense if you've seen them because The Daemons only mentions it in passing rather than actually going there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Another example is the Moffat trio, who made people "confused" because it felt like they missed an episode introducing them.

This bit is because of the habit of making stupid references to old stuff without explanation, not an ironic counterpoint to it as you seem to believe.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Meanwhile, on Outpost Gallifrey there's a big flame thread about how there can be black Kaleds

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ed Balls

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's Davros though. It's not just about it just being a kid, it's that it's the Hitler paradox.

Which they hit firmly on the nose by quoting the Doctor referring to it in Genesis.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This is not the bit with GO SON GO! GO SON GO! so you've chosen poorly

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RunAndGun posted:

I wonder if that was deliberate - since they know that this will be shown in 2 parts over a week's time (plus the 9 month drought), perhaps they overstuffed this episode to have fans something to chew over these next 7 days.

They've had two parters that have been less of a mess before this, you know. Moffat even wrote some of them!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

None of the things it brings up are really resolved in the episode itself, it's all leading into the next episode.

Disagree entirely. Almost all of the things that are brought up are resolved in the episode, to the extent that someone could watch the cold opening and the last few minutes and, with all likelihood, not miss anything that will affect part 2.

The stuff about the planes? Resolved. UNIT? Resolved. The Doctor being "missing"? Resolved. What is there apart from "The Doctor is on Skaro with Davros, who he left in a minefield as a child, and his companion, the Master, and the TARDIS have all been daleked"?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I forgot to complain about how the stilted way that Clara described the planes being frozen was indeed the twitter hashtag and the phrase that the news reports used.

RunAndGun posted:

True, but you have to add in the 9 month drought, too. This wasn't just a normal 2 parter in the middle of a season.

Compare to The Impossible Astronaut then. I'm not a fan of TIA, but that's largely because DotM is such a terrible resolution.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RunAndGun posted:

Yes. I like this new dymanic. They're moving/moved away from the simple white-hat Doctor black-hat Master Light Side of the Force / Dark Side of the Force relationship. Missy's point of view that the Doctor keeps trying to kill her too. Stuff like that. (And at the same time, reaffirming that they're not interchangeable, "No, I've not turned... guud!")

Even thought this all might turn out to be window dressing, I appreciate the fact they're trying to expand/complicated the Doctor/Master relationship.

This has always been the Doctor/Master relationship.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RunAndGun posted:

On the other hand, long-term fans gotta eat to.

Perfect example.

Oh, if it's for the long term fans and not us newbies that's ok then

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Things that are still to resolved (all of which are reasonably big)

How did Missy come back?

I hope the reveal of how the Master came back after The Planet of Fire, or the Meddling Monk came back after The Time Meddler, are in the next episode as well :ohdear:

RunAndGun posted:

Yes, point. TIA was less chaotic than this episode was. Still, I like chaos sometimes. Sometimes you get to relax in a big easy chair, sometimes you're in a roller coaster.

Or, in this case, being sat in the stocks and being pelted from unexpected directions

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

[efb]

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Snake dude is really into the singles scene and he didn't know where else to go

He needed some Nick Cave to get into the mood

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

People who aren't following British politics today are missing out

One Swell Foop posted:

Also, it seemed like Peter Capaldi was actually playing guitar in those scenes, it's usually pretty obvious when somebody's miming. Wasn't he the guitarist in a punk band with Craig Ferguson?

It was him playing the guitar. Also,

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I think people have gotten used to single episodes, surely every cliffhanger before wasn't greeted with "well they're OBVIOUSLY going to survive this :rolleyes:"

The best cliffhangers tended not to put the Doctor or the companions in mortal danger (although there are some - seeing them all being gunned down in Caves[/], for example) but rather do something shocking or dramatic in the context of the story. The countdown in Inferno is a fine example.

That's beside the point, though - it's a question of the stakes at the end of this episode being so impossibly large in the context of the series that there is absolutely zero way that they can't retcon it in some fashion and still be making the programme [i]Doctor Who
. So you know the retcon is coming and that everything you just watched is ultimately meaningless even within its own context.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I think Unit either needs to be redeemed, or shown to not be up to the task, whether that is due to poor leadership or being outclassed I can't say.

UNIT started out incredibly competent (there's a few instances of the Brigadier asking the Doctor for advice, the Doctor listing off a load of things they can do and the Brigadier going "duh we've already done all of that, we want to know if you have any sci fi mumbo jumbo to help", most notably in The Ambassadors of Death) but it's hard to write an ultimately competent and incredibly pragmatic semi-friend/adversary character in every story and so UNIT became "comedy guys who shoot people" very quickly. UNIT has needed to be redeemed for decades at this point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Her cadence and tone and body language when saying this confused the gently caress out of me, she is 100% acting as if she's a stand up and has just told a joke and is waiting for laughter that never comes. Also applause that comes very half heartedly :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It was the Doctor Who theme

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Just watched your avatar, TBE :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It was nice seeing the old daleks in Asylum, even though I didn't like the episode as a whole, because there was a reason for them to be there and also obsolete. Just throwing them in all the time makes me roll my eyes and little else.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think I'm going to start doing longer analyses of episodes again, because frankly there's not much I can say about Master Plan without going into a lot of background stuff

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

I guess the real question is whether the Doctor was actually gullible enough to believe it. Seems pretty unlikely. The guy notices when the gravitation is too perfect.

There's a difference between being "really destroyed" in-universe and being "really destroyed" in the context of it being a television programme. There is a high chance that the TARDIS is really destroyed, but will be undestroyed with Time Travel somehow.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I forgot that Master Plan had a two minute skit about Test Match Special

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He's only kinda casual

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also he means Mara, the Kinda were the people and the Mara were the snakes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought the Tardis was pretty much indestructible baring very specific weapons that can blow up tardis's. Can it really just be destroyed by a roof mounted zap gun? Or are we supposed to think that was a specific Tardis destroying weapon?

Its indestructability has varied over the years, and you'd think the daleks would know how to blow up a TARDIS given the Time War and all

Gaz-L posted:

Meanwhile I got completely confused and was thinking of the Myrka whenever people were making that comparison.

The Myrka was a lizard thing with two men inside it. The snake dude was a man with a load of snakes inside him. So I can see how you can be confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

So how many new characters were actually named in that episode? I can't remember any (I know there were half a dozen named in the credits, were they actually referred to by name in the programme itself?)

Also "Colony Sarrf" just makes me wonder if there's a Colony North as well

• Locked thread