Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Lassitude posted:

Also, yeah, as someone said, become an RN. Do not gently caress around with any of the inferior nursing degrees. RN is internationally recognized and gives you all sorts of amazing opportunities, and you have options for more advanced degrees which can afford you work comparable to family physicians (without the bux and respect, but still). An extra two years in school means jack poo poo compared to this. Do not even consider anything less than RN unless your marks are terrible and you can't do anything to improve them.

And I feel compelled to say, the prospect of cleaning poo poo out of old lady vaginas can be daunting. Nobody likes doing it, but we all do it without making a face. Every nurse ever has been intimidated by the prospect of doing gross stuff. But I guarantee you, once you get into a situation where you're the man on point and that's your rear end to wipe, you'll do it, and you'll wonder what the big loving deal was in the process. These things intimidate because they're an unknown. They make everyone second-guess themselves about nursing. But once you do it, you realize it's nothing, and it becomes a total non-issue to spoon up some diarrhea for a stool sample afterward. Do not let the prospect of gross stuff deter you. It's only a thing because it's an unknown. Once you get your feet wet, it won't even phase you. Ditto for anything else you might feel trepidation toward, whether it be wound care or running IVs of serious poo poo or getting a corpse ready for the morgue. At the end of the day, it's just a job and you do what you need to do. If you've even considered the possibility you can do this stuff, you can do it, and after the first time it'll be like nothing. I say this because I was deterred from nursing by this stuff initially.

Yeah, gotta agree. The gross out factor does fade pretty quickly once you get into it. There will always be gross things though to add to your gross stories collection (nurses are the best at gross stories), but mostly you get used to it and just take care of it with a detached air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread