Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

LoveMeDead posted:

If your number one reason for becoming a nurse is not "It's my passion" you will hate it and burn out. And probably be a lovely nurse. Work as a CNA for awhile to see if it's something you can handle. And don't go in to it thinking that "real nurses don't do this stuff" because we do. We wipe asses and feed people and help people walk down the hall. We also comfort people and help people die with dignity. We hold parents' hands while their children suffer. It's not a glamorous job.

Yes, there are always jobs available, but not necessarily where you want them. You may end up having to relocate or having to work in a nursing home or a unit you don't care for.

A sense of humor helps too. My mom has a lot of stories but I think the one she likes the most is a c. diff patient she had. She had recently gotten new brand name crocs (my mom put herself through school in her 30s and money was very tight so this was exciting for her). She's talking to the patient and she tells him she just got new shoes and is breaking them in. They keep talking and as she's getting him up he does what c. diff patients tend to do and ends up pooping on her feet and it gets all in there. The guy felt SO BAD but my mom just laughed it off because it's not really the guys fault and what else can you do?

Now whenever he comes by the hospital he asks for her and refers to himself as 'the shoe shitter'. The other nurses give him funny looks but my mom just laughs and they catch up.

So that's something to think about too. If you're gonna freak out about stuff like that, maybe reconsider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread