Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

LPNs still have to clean rear end once in a while, RNs almost never (except in certain circumstances).

I wipe up a lovely rear end at least once per shift I work. I'm not sure what magical world you live in but I'd like to go there. Other than a select few units, patients in most hospital units are elderly and are likely to poo poo themselves on the reg. If you're in there when they do, RN or LPN or CNA doesn't matter, you gotta clean that rear end.

To reply to the OP, I wouldn't go gung-ho into nursing straight away without at least putting minimal effort into deciding if it's even for you. See if you can work PRN as a tech for a little while, if you find the environment enjoyable then consider working on that degree. It helps to have a little compassion and empathy but it's not a requirement, really you just have to enjoy the crazy, fast-paced work environment. If you hate the job, all the money in the world wont make nursing enjoyable. It's not an easy job and even though the pay is pretty decent for new-grads when compared to the poo poo pay folks with other types of bachelors degrees make, it's a lot of work for what you make.

On the upside, I feel like male nurses are more likely to be hired straight out of school. All of the men in my nursing class were some of the first to be hired. Which isn't exactly statistically significant but just from my point of view it seems as if units prefer to hire male nurses when they can, unless it's in a women's health or pediatric area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread