Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

My husband is a nurse, currently acting as a nurse educator, and working on his masters. I ran your question by him and he suggested that you work part-time as a CNA while doing per-requisites to see if nursing is the route you truly want to take: some people find they can't handle it/dislike it while others end up loving it. Obviously a CNA does work that is different from a nurse but it puts you in a medical environment and helps you build some transferable skills. He also said that depending on your location there are places that only need you to have an associates, and you can then work as a nurse while going for higher degrees. As a male in the field he's never had any power struggles with others based on gender, just on personality differences. He has said that being a guy has given him a slight advantage in some respects simply because of his ability to help lift patients a bit easier than his peers but other than that it hasn't factored in too much. Once in a great while a patient will request a female nurse instead of him but it hasn't really been an issue. He suggests getting to know your instructors well and keeping an ear open for shadowing opportunities or contacting places you may want to work and asking if you can go in and observe--that is how he got his first nursing job. Remember that pre-reqs are hard, you have to put in a ton of study time and avoid procrastination and laziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread