Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

I can insure one fully comp - provided I fit a tracker and garage it at night - for $350 per year.

Edit: Jesus Christ, keeping it out on the driveway - in my somewhat chavvy area - would make it $25 cheaper.

Great, I could afford to insure a Ferrari.

But not buy it :saddowns:

I asked about the garage not being the cheapest a few years ago, apparently cars stored in garages have poo poo dropped on them a lot. I'm careful to say my car is in a shared parking area rather than a drive, as it's cheaper again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Great, I could afford to insure a Ferrari.

But not buy it :saddowns:
Pretty much! In fairness, a 348 like Kimbo's isn't crazy money though.

And you have a wife/kids you could sell to fund one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

Pretty much! In fairness, a 348 like Kimbo's isn't crazy money though.

The jump in price from 348 to 355 is crazy. You can get a decent 348 for 50-60k. A similar condition 355 would be 70-80. The 355 also comes with a raft of extra issues (cracking exhaust headers, weak valve guides) that are scary. I think now is the right time to buy a 348, before the nicer ones start appreciating. It's already too late for 355s.

Ok, so I've been meaning to get a video, but I'm gonna write it up before I forget. Recall what I said about Ferrari putting in weird redundancies into the car.
When you pop open the door, this is what you see:

Ok, a lap belt. But this car is from 1991? On the left edge of the frame, you can see a buckle. That's the "mad mouse," an electric belt runner that starts there and runs down the door sill. I've been spooked twice by its scuttling up and down the track.

So if that's where the buckle is, where is the belt? The 348 flouts convention and has the shoulder belts dangling from between the seats.

It works, and the ratchet catches you upon deceleration just fine, but it's so unusual.

Finally, if you don't like the automatic seat belt, you can always use the buckle mounted on the seat:

Yes, the 348 is a car with safety restraint options.

You can make out the discoloration and slight cracking on the seat bolster. It's not gonna eat me up.

Oh, the parking brake -- because it's on the left, it can get in the way of your exiting the car. It folds back down once you've pulled it up. To release, you pull it back up high enough to press the release button. So it's important to check that the PARK light is off.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wow! That thing is really neat! I am surprised it has a 25 gallon tank! My first car had a 25 gallon tank (1980 Bonneville) with how much you bike do you see yourself filling up once or twice a month? I also would appreciate a running log of all the (dumb) things people say that depletes your faith in humanity. Namely hearing "You wanna trade?" every time you take it out. Ever.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, the parking brake -- because it's on the left, it can get in the way of your exiting the car. It folds back down once you've pulled it up. To release, you pull it back up high enough to press the release button. So it's important to check that the PARK light is off.

Just like my Fiero!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

boxen posted:

Just like my Fiero!

Wait a minute... :tinfoil:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

The jump in price from 348 to 355 is crazy. You can get a decent 348 for 50-60k. A similar condition 355 would be 70-80. The 355 also comes with a raft of extra issues (cracking exhaust headers, weak valve guides) that are scary. I think now is the right time to buy a 348, before the nicer ones start appreciating. It's already too late for 355s.
Yeah, it's even worse here. 348s are about the same price, I think, but 355s are more like $100k and rising.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kimbo305 posted:

boxen posted:

Just like my Fiero!

KozmoNaut posted:

Wait a minute... :tinfoil:

C4 Corvettes use the left side park brake lever too. So this whole thread could be an elaborate troll.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

A friend of mine has a 355, and discourages me from buying one every time I see him. I drove his at the VCHC a few years ago, and I really enjoyed it, incidentally this was also when you could get them in the 50k range. Every time time I talk to him it's some new headache, the ECUs dying, the headers, the struts failing, etc.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Left Ventricle posted:

C4 Corvettes use the left side park brake lever too. So this whole thread could be an elaborate troll.

It's called a fly-off handbrake.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The factory tires are 215/50 17, 255/45 17. Support for 17" performance tires is still pretty good, but those sizes are a bit unusual, so I don't have any max performance summer tire options in those sizes.
After consulting the track thread, I opted to go with ZII Star Specs in 225/45, 245/45. I'm not thrilled to be going narrower in the back, but I figure the Star Specs will be stickier overall than the best factory size option, BFG gForce Comps.
Right now, it's running different model tires front and back. I got the rears to squeal a little on tight turns out of a roundabout and at an intersection. I definitely want to upgrade.

So I have Tirerack ship them to a Firestone I've used before. Some installers have restrictions (like call before shipping), but this one had none listed.
They're delivered today, and I call to make an appointment. The tech who answers asks what car it is, upon which he says he'll need 2 hours to carefully dismount/mount the tires. Which seems crazy, but whatever, I go with it.
A few minutes later, his foreman calls and says he won't do it -- he just doesn't want to risk it with these wheels.

So... I have 4 tires at a shop that I can't pick up (well, I'm sure I could do one or two at a time with the 348). I emailed Tirerack to see what my options are. There are a few other tire shops close by there that I trust no more or less to do the work. I think a couple are even Tirerack approved. I just feel like I'll be in a spot where both Tirerack and Firestone will want to put the burden on the other party. Lazy rear end that I am, I'd rather return the tires to Tirerack and then reorder them to a shop I've gotten the ok from.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

The factory tires are 215/50 17, 255/45 17. Support for 17" performance tires is still pretty good, but those sizes are a bit unusual, so I don't have any max performance summer tire options in those sizes.
After consulting the track thread, I opted to go with ZII Star Specs in 225/45, 245/45. I'm not thrilled to be going narrower in the back, but I figure the Star Specs will be stickier overall than the best factory size option, BFG gForce Comps.
Right now, it's running different model tires front and back. I got the rears to squeal a little on tight turns out of a roundabout and at an intersection. I definitely want to upgrade.

So I have Tirerack ship them to a Firestone I've used before. Some installers have restrictions (like call before shipping), but this one had none listed.
They're delivered today, and I call to make an appointment. The tech who answers asks what car it is, upon which he says he'll need 2 hours to carefully dismount/mount the tires. Which seems crazy, but whatever, I go with it.
A few minutes later, his foreman calls and says he won't do it -- he just doesn't want to risk it with these wheels.

So... I have 4 tires at a shop that I can't pick up (well, I'm sure I could do one or two at a time with the 348). I emailed Tirerack to see what my options are. There are a few other tire shops close by there that I trust no more or less to do the work. I think a couple are even Tirerack approved. I just feel like I'll be in a spot where both Tirerack and Firestone will want to put the burden on the other party. Lazy rear end that I am, I'd rather return the tires to Tirerack and then reorder them to a shop I've gotten the ok from.

Call a local exotic dealer, any will do, and ask who their preferred tire shop is (rarely do they do this in-house). This is how I find shops that can M&B tires for the Viper.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's bullshit, those aren't even exotic tire sizes anymore. Hell I run the same size as the fronts for winter tires on my Volvo wagon.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah they aren't super low profile really wide tires. Maybe just stop by? I mean if they can't take off a wheel and put on a tire without scratching it up what the gently caress are they even doing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

Yeah they aren't super low profile really wide tires. Maybe just stop by? I mean if they can't take off a wheel and put on a tire without scratching it up what the gently caress are they even doing?

That's what I said -- how can you be worried about scratching up a normal 17" alloy wheel if that's what you do all day? He genuinely sounded unnerved by the prospect.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I bet if you took the demounted wheels down there (I always do this, part of my usual thing about minimising how much work someone else does on my cars) with the Ferrari emblems removed, they'd just crack on with them without comment.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

But how does he get the wheels there and back?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sudo Echo posted:

But how does he get the wheels there and back?
In one of his multiple other cars?

And if you only have the one, that's your excuse to buy a few more!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

In one of his multiple other cars?

And if you only have the one, that's your excuse to buy a few more!

He posted earlier that this is his only car, he rides a bicycle to work. Maybe get one of those tow-behind kid carriers and use that!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I was being facetious there. My point is that if you presented them with the wheels as not identifiably Ferrari, they likely wouldn't even pass comment on them.

But still, multiple cars are good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

At my peak AIness, my 3 cars were an NA Miata, a Group 2 rally Focus, and that supercharged SVT Focus.
If I got a 2nd car, I"m positive the same thing would happen -- I'd buy something cool and impractical and less reliable instead of something reliable and capable of carrying 4 tires in the hatch.
I currently own 9 bicycles; I need to thin that herd to have more time to focus on cars, too.

My local Ferrari shop is Aston Martin of New England, who has a Ferrari-certified tech who works on a wide age-range of Ferraris. They do tires in-house, and quoted me :eyepop: $280. The next most expensive place locally is $120. I also found out their labor rate is $135/hr, which seems reasonable enough.
I would like to check these guys out more -- I need them to install these Ricambi skid plates under the front lip and do all the real maintenance work on the car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

At my peak AIness, my 3 cars were an NA Miata, a Group 2 rally Focus, and that supercharged SVT Focus.
If I got a 2nd car, I"m positive the same thing would happen -- I'd buy something cool and impractical and less reliable instead of something reliable and capable of carrying 4 tires in the hatch.
I currently own 9 bicycles; I need to thin that herd to have more time to focus on cars, too.

My local Ferrari shop is Aston Martin of New England, who has a Ferrari-certified tech who works on a wide age-range of Ferraris. They do tires in-house, and quoted me :eyepop: $280. The next most expensive place locally is $120. I also found out their labor rate is $135/hr, which seems reasonable enough.
I would like to check these guys out more -- I need them to install these Ricambi skid plates under the front lip and do all the real maintenance work on the car.

You know what has a hatch, can carry tires, is reliable, and fun?

A C6 Z06.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Muffinpox posted:

You know what has a hatch, can carry tires, is reliable, and fun?

A C6 Z06.

C5 Z06 > C6 Z06. :colbert:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kimbo305 posted:

I can find out pricing at work for it if you still need it, the guy who does tires at BMW can definitely do it no problem

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That's an amazing car in that color. Did I miss how much you paid for it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

C5 Z06 > C6 Z06. :colbert:

From a price standpoint, maybe, but as with 911s, buy the newest you can afford.
I would say the C5Z looks slightly more distinctive from the outside, though.

CornHolio posted:

That's an amazing car in that color. Did I miss how much you paid for it?

meatpimp found the original sale thread from June on FerrariChat. It was going for $45k. I bought it from the dealer in Sept for $51k. Even factoring in a $1500 shipping from the west coast, I got took a bit.

Nodoze posted:

I can find out pricing at work for it if you still need it, the guy who does tires at BMW can definitely do it no problem

Yeah, lemme know. I haven't heard back from Tirerack, but I'm sure I will eventually.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

kimbo305 posted:

I got a really nice 2 car discount with my current insurance -- basically the 2nd car would be $100/6mon (I dunno why I keep using the pay period instead of per year).
That said, I wouldn't get the discount if I split between normal insurance and Hagerty.

Let's say a beater would cost 3000 a year for amortized cost, insurance, maintenance, gas, etc. I need to get $3000/year or better with Hagerty to make it worth it. I think that's possible. Though I only have the 1 indoor parking spot, and street parking is a huge drag, even if I only have to move the car once or twice a month for street cleaning.

Just called Amica, and I'm down to 1200/yr for the same coverage. So definitely switching.

Last I checked with Hagerty, the daily driver had to be less than 10 years old. That limits your beater options.

Grundy is another collector insurance I looked into. IIRC, they didn't seem to have as many restrictions on daily driver/mileage/etc as Hagerty did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At least when I first started with Hagerty, there was no age limit on the driver car (at least, not one that young) - it's why I bought my '88 Volvo 240, and this was around 2005.

Not that I think it matters to much of AI now since we're all getting to be old fucks, but back then Hagerty was also the only company I could find who would touch an under-25 driver.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least when I first started with Hagerty, there was no age limit on the driver car (at least, not one that young) - it's why I bought my '88 Volvo 240, and this was around 2005.

Not that I think it matters to much of AI now since we're all getting to be old fucks, but back then Hagerty was also the only company I could find who would touch an under-25 driver.

It's sad how most of us started as late teens early 20s assholes, now we're all bitter late 20s++++.

And that this forum has had very little turnover in 3+ years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

It's sad how most of us started as late teens early 20s assholes, now we're all bitter late 20s++++.

I've noticed the same thing about AI membership. Is the entire demographic of SA staying stagnant and aging?

Tirerack strong armed Firestone to drop the tires off at a shop half a mile over by threatening talking to their corporate. This shop still wants a couple hours to do it, but they're up for it. Another amusing thing is that everyone I e talked to and heard from at Tirerack calls it The Tirerack.

Today, I'm completely wiped by this cold that's been building over the week. I need to schedule the tire mounting and touch up the targa top next.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I've noticed the same thing about AI membership. Is the entire demographic of SA staying stagnant and aging?

iwentdoodie posted:

I dunno what you're talking about, I started here in my late 20's and now I'm about to turn 40 and IOC is the only regular poster I still remember from the early 2000's.

drat young whippersnappers. :bahgawd:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All I ask is that if the forums do wind up shutting down some day, that I be made mod of AI for six mere hours.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Not many new people coming through. Isn't TT the latest regular AIer that hasn't been run out of here?

Do we have bad B.O. or something?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Perhaps it's more that the kind of people now joining SA aren't interested in cars so much?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Not many new people coming through. Isn't TT the latest regular AIer that hasn't been run out of here?

Do we have bad B.O. or something?

I think more that SA isn't super popular anymore thanks to reddit/fb/etc, and honestly most younger people don't give a poo poo about cars because they can't afford them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I dunno, my son is 7 yrs old and he loving LOVES cars, and it's not like I'm encouraging it either. Whenever he sees a 911 or any kind of Ferrari he freaks out. He begged me to take him to cars and coffee after finding out about it all on his own.

I guess my point is you can still love cars even if you can't afford them.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

I dunno, my son is 7 yrs old and he loving LOVES cars, and it's not like I'm encouraging it either. Whenever he sees a 911 or any kind of Ferrari he freaks out. He begged me to take him to cars and coffee after finding out about it all on his own.

I guess my point is you can still love cars even if you can't afford them.

Anecdotal, and tainted by your own tastes and likes being a large influence on him.

Young people these days don't need cars as much because they can chill with their friends on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat (as opposed to older generations who could only hang out and chat if they physically could get places), and most of them aren't working/earning enough to afford a beater, so aside from kids whose parents don't start exposing them to cars and racing at a young age, they just don't care.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anecdotal, and tainted by your own tastes and likes being a large influence on him.

Young people these days don't need cars as much because they can chill with their friends on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat (as opposed to older generations who could only hang out and chat if they physically could get places), and most of them aren't working/earning enough to afford a beater, so aside from kids whose parents don't start exposing them to cars and racing at a young age, they just don't care.

Pretty much this.

I work with a lot of 24 and younger people, who HAVE a steady income and can afford a car...And even among the ones who do choose to buy one, they don't give a poo poo. Basically whatever is pretty or cheap.

Edit: I carried a bare cylinder head in the other day and it was like I had a third nipple on my face or something. Working on your own poo poo, or enjoying cars, is an oddity to most people and doubly so for young people. I'm only 28, but I definitely see it.

On the other hand, I know quite a few in that same bracket who loving love bikes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anecdotal yes, but honestly it's not like I have posters of Ferraris all over the house, I think it's more of a product of the area we live in. Lots of rich people with lots of exotics driving around. 911's are like Mustangs around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Yes.

• Locked thread