Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They make it a lot easier to get in a car with a cage and a race seat, but it sure would suck to leave the top off, come out from a store, and not have a steering wheel.

Anyway, spacers are cheap and come in about any size you want. Looks like you just pull off the center trim piece and it unbolts. I think every 6 bolt wheel/spacer/adapter is the same pattern. e- oops, yeah there are two patterns.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Apparently there's a Nardi 6-bolt spacing that's different? Ricambi America had the right part. I doubt it's functionally significant, but it has a small lip on the inside:
http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=600_543&products_id=224427

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure that's normal, the center hole of the wheel goes around the lip, and the horn button inside of it. And I think Momo and nardi have different patterns, that's why a lot of ebay generic hubs are universal.

But at least it comes with black hardware, for some reason every spacer on ebay comes with chrome hardware, why the gently caress would anyone want that.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 1, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

But doesn't that increase the odds of his steering wheel disappearing if he doesn't take it with him?

Honestly, if was really worried about my Momo getting stolen, I'd rather tack weld the nut to the shaft and have to grind it back off if I had to get the wheel off. Removable wheels just make it more of a PITA to me.
You can get locking ones if you're concerned.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Sticking with a solid spacer is a better plan. I liked the idea of the quick release hub I had in my old Civic, for which I had a grant wheel, but after awhile, the wheel developed some play. No danger of coming off, but it definitely wasn't as solid as when new. Go for a solid connection.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

leica posted:

But doesn't that increase the odds of his steering wheel disappearing if he doesn't take it with him?

Honestly, if was really worried about my Momo getting stolen, I'd rather tack weld the nut to the shaft and have to grind it back off if I had to get the wheel off. Removable wheels just make it more of a PITA to me.

Not that I'd ever actually do the tack weld thing, but I have thought about it as a solution.

Just put a pentagonal nut or something equally annoying on there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

I'm an oldfag by a long way (almost 13 years here) and I've seen the demographic of AI change over the years.

Newb

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Just put a pentagonal nut or something equally annoying on there.

Oh poo poo, good idea. Gonna look into doing that for my Miata, I just got a Momo that's waiting to be installed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kimbo305 posted:

Does anyone have experience with specialty insurance? After updating my policy, mine took a few days to decide to use declared value, and when I give the sale price, it's coming out to 2800/6 months, which is uhhh, pretty steep. Cheaper than the Viper, though.
Hagerty doesn't cover stuff this new. I'm gonna call Grundy and Amica tomorrow.
Late on this since I just found the thread but check with Grundy. I was paying 1200+ a year on the E30 with Hagerty, switched to Grundy when I bought the E28. Now I have the E30, E21 and E28 for under 800. Most will require a separate daily driver so you aren't racking up miles on whatever they're insuring. American Collectors is also comparable, think that's who Dad has used.

Gorgeous car and good choice if I remember the list of cars you were considering.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea I have Grundy and they have been awesome. All I had to do was take pictures of my trucks and the garages they stay in and tell them what my daily driver was which is my 99 Forester so they didnt care about the age of it. Then they let me pick the coverage on each for the C10 and IH if I had to replace them with like 300/500k liability and for the year its under $300. I have a really good driving record but still. Love Grundy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The vast difference in premiums between Progressive and Amica made me wonder how insurance companies maintain their models, and whether the models are mostly tabular or formulas. Maybe 1500 knows?

I just can't get around the fact that Progressive wanted $5600/yr while Amica only wants $1200. In the past, I'd never seen more than $100 difference in quotes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Try Safety Insurance too.

Friend of mine in Chelmsford insures his 5 ton military cargo truck with them. No garaging requirement, etc etc etc.

They are probably who I will go with for all special interest/antique vehicles in the future, assuming they don't quote me the "we don't want your business" price because of my mile long driving record full of inspection sticker violations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

They are probably who I will go with for all special interest/antique vehicles in the future, assuming they don't quote me the "we don't want your business" price because of my mile long driving record full of inspection sticker violations.

I'm pretty sure your driving record at this point says "Sealed by DHS."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Gorgeous car and good choice if I remember the list of cars you were considering.

Ok, I mentioned that I'd done a spreadsheet comparing cars leading up to buying one. So here it is:

The Corvette is my C6 Z06 with RC5+ brake pads, and the Miata is Muffinpox's tracked out NB.

The categories are kind of arbitrary, but highlight how I view the driving experience. The exact numbers aren't super important, but I did want to quantify how I felt about the cars in more detail than just "it was awesome" or "i really liked it."

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
What's an 818?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Das Volk posted:

What's an 818?

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like how close run it is between the evora and miata :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cakefool posted:

I like more that the Miata has a higher magicka.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Because of the dealer location (short straight roads in a burb) and weather (raining), I drove the Lotus the least hard of all these cars. But everything about it felt so uninspiring. Even with the Sport Exhaust and the sport exhaust button on, it was like, "big whoop, you're a Camry motor." It just couldn't sound good.
I guess I was just expecting a 4-seater Elise, which the Evora is not.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So chiming in with the work and then wrenching on all my busted poo poo keeping no from posting but I love your car.

On the sound track topic of the previous page, anything by kavinsky makes me thing of cars like that.
http://youtu.be/jjGw-0KLiP0

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I like more that the Miata has a higher magicka.

The Miata has race seats and 6 points and rates higher than the viper on ergonomics too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The Corvette is my C6 Z06 with RC5+ brake pads, and the Miata is Muffinpox's tracked out NB.

So does he get to auto cross and review the 348?

:q:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Das Volk posted:

I'm an oldfag by a long way (almost 13 years here) and I've seen the demographic of AI change over the years. A lot of posters have been run off or got bored over the years, but there's still a core group. Kimbo is one of the original core group, and followed an evolution I've seen a few people go through, including myself. I left being a mechanic behind years ago because my project cars (the SW20 turbo and 190E Cosworth for example) were basket cases that never fully worked. I lost patience with it and left most work to dealerships, often at my own peril. Ironically there are newer people here who think I can't lift a wrench when in reality I simply got sick of it.

My days of laying on cardboard under a storm drain are long gone, and with good reason - a minor gently caress-up during a suspension install with the SoCal AI crew left me doing an impression of a Reliant Robin on 280. As all this relates to Kimbo's purchase, I think being in a position to DIY as much as possible is the key to "affordable" exotic car ownership. I bought a lifetime extended warranty on the Viper (which will inevitably bankrupt them) to sandbag against the eventual mechanical destruction of the car. By the time I've got a house with a lift I think I'll be prepared to come back to DIY work, but only with the right tools and equipment.

This will be an extremely controversial statement in here, but honestly working on a car is one of the least pleasant experiences I can think of, other than going caving or sea kayaking off the coast of England on a lovely day. Skinned knuckles suck and I break out in a sweat the moment I have to start wrestling with stuck bolts and socket sets and those stupid c-clips and the rest of it. gently caress that noise.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

drgitlin posted:

This will be an extremely controversial statement in here, but honestly working on a car is one of the least pleasant experiences I can think of, other than going caving or sea kayaking off the coast of England on a lovely day. Skinned knuckles suck and I break out in a sweat the moment I have to start wrestling with stuck bolts and socket sets and those stupid c-clips and the rest of it. gently caress that noise.

It's not bad when you know what you are doing and have all the proper parts and tools needed and can easily reach what you need to work on and nothing breaks while you're in there and you have a backup vehicle and someone to help you and a nice temperature controlled place to work with plenty of lighting and ventilation.

Edit: also watching a mounting point break while the car was up on a jack makes me not really care about crawling around under a 4,000lb vehicle to save a few hundred dollars in labor, jackstands or no

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 3, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

drgitlin posted:

I go both ways on this. Working on my Mustang (DD) sucks drat near every time. Bullshit rust, poo poo not going right, blah blah. Working on the Nova, however, is usually pretty pleasant. No real rust, good access to fasteners, and no rush to get a job done because its current purpose is to hold down my jack stands.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

drgitlin posted:

Fixing something feels good when your done tho.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Preoptopus posted:

Fixing something feels good when your done tho.

This. I (now, anyway) work behind a desk after years of working with my hands. If it wasn't for working on the car/bikes, I'd go nuts. It's fulfilling and very Zen feeling. Even when it's loving annoying, it's so much better than sitting in my god drat office chair.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

drgitlin posted:

It's all about set and setting for me - give me a well-lit, climate-controlled location to complete a task on a non-DD vehicle and I'm more than happy to dig in. Swapping EJ25's on a car I need to drive to work every day, or even a trivial job gone wrong that leaks into 3AM on a Monday morning, is enough to dissuade me from doing my own work these days. Unless a job is almost entirely labor (like a belt replacement, or an oil change on a straightforward layout) I'm willing to pay the extra cost just to have someone else do it. I'm sure once I have a private garage and a project car it will become rewarding again, but for now I'd rather drop my car off at a mechanic than give up a Saturday afternoon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just got off a 7 hour emergency work session, where the usual MySQL guy was not available and our Ops staff has been zeroed by layoffs and attrition.
The closest I got to anything automotive was when I mistyped tail as tial.

First, one more quirk. Some cars have reflectors on their doors. The 348 goes ahead and lights up:

When one door is open, the other light goes on, doing this cool Cylon effect:

Who says panel gaps are all bad?

Earlier today, I did a few preventative maintenance items:
- replaced frunk struts. This took like 5min now that I knew how to unclip the old ones.
- replaced the expansion tank cap. Looks like I was beaten to this at some point.

The rubber seal on the old one seems fine, but the corrosion gave me excuse enough to replace:

Glove is for Dr. Colorchip below. It looks pretty cool:

New one looks much more standard, and all the writing is in Italian:

The coolant in the tank looked nice and green, but pretty low. The manual:

I'm guessing 6cm from the top is the max fill? It seemed like 3-4cm from the bottom. I think I'll top it with distilled water and get it changed in the spring with oil and brake fluid.
I like how the manual gives specifics for the other fluids but just says "Antifreeze." I wonder if there was only one kind of AGIP Antifreeze back then?

Reading the manual is fun because it still has the leather smell from its leather sleeve.

Dr. Colorchip --
I masked off the big chip on the targa top:

Then spent the next hour struggling with the Dr. Colorchip kit. The instructions make it seem like you should hit it with the cleanup liquid / finishing rub within 5 minutes, but the touchup paint seems pretty normal, in that it's still liquid at that point. After googling around, I found this:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html
which jibed with what I was learning about it. The only thing that's nice about it over a normal touchup brush is that you can overapply and then "wet sand" it down with the cleanup liquid and cloth, instead of settling for waviness in your touchup.

Results are not great, color match wise:

The triangular tip at the top is the cleanup cloth. The spots are about as noticeable in real life as in the picture. It's ok for 10ft, but closer is pretty glaring, especially without clear over it.
The big chip I started on was so deep that I'm doing like the link recommended and curing in a layer before finishing tomorrow.

I couldn't confirm the color for my car. There are some charts out there, but nothing for 1991 348s. Of the 3 colors that Dr. Colorchip had, I think I picked the yellower one and got burned.
Amusingly, Bianco 212 and White 100 are the same. I should have gotten Bianco Beta, I think. The kit was like $50. I probably could have gotten a color matched spray for $300, which I'll consider down the road.
I touched up a few chips along the lower fascia, but opted to leave the few other chips on the body alone.

e: there's one more strut I could replace -- the one that holds the glovebox open when you lift it. It's like 4" long extended but $50:
http://www.amazon.com/Stabilus-SG437001-Pack-of-1/dp/B004A3DEWE
I'm thinking about it.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I go both ways on this. Working on my Mustang (DD) sucks drat near every time. Bullshit rust, poo poo not going right, blah blah. Working on the Nova, however, is usually pretty pleasant. No real rust, good access to fasteners, and no rush to get a job done because its current purpose is to hold down my jack stands.
This is so true, it depends on the car and the work. The VW is a bastard to work on so it goes to the dealership for anything more involved than maybe changing pads/rotors. The BMW's I enjoy working on so I do everything on those. I think it also helps that most times on the non daily driver cars there isn't a big rush to finish it and if something happens and you get delayed it's fine.

kimbo305 posted:

First, one more quirk. Some cars have reflectors on their doors. The 348 goes ahead and lights up:

Dr. Colorchip --
drat that's a great view. Seems like most people I've talked to that went the Colorchip thing had mixed results when it comes to matching something exotic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat that's a great view. Seems like most people I've talked to that went the Colorchip thing had mixed results when it comes to matching something exotic.

Even pedestrian cars. It took them 3 tries to get a close-enough mix of BMW Alpine White. That said, at least they did keep trying.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

meatpimp posted:

Even pedestrian cars. It took them 3 tries to get a close-enough mix of BMW Alpine White. That said, at least they did keep trying.

I would imagine that the age of the car comes into play a great deal. Do they have a "paint color + car age" system?

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?
I had never realized how badly I wanted one of these until reading your thread. I've been spending the whole day looking up ownership info and reviewing the ones for sale on autotrader and eBay. My girlfriend's boss collects all kinds of cars including some exotics and a plethora of antique Porsches and his warehouse/shop/mechanic is right around the corner, so I keep telling myself that maybe that means I won't go hilariously broke owning one of these.

Best part was asking my girlfriend this morning if I could "buy a Ferrari from the 80s". Initial reaction was an emphatic "no", but as soon as she saw the pictures it turned into "yes, yes you can".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

meatpimp posted:

Now imagine how bad it sucks painting at a bodyshop.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wallaka posted:

I would imagine that the age of the car comes into play a great deal. Do they have a "paint color + car age" system?

I doubt it, paint aging must have so many factors, not just age but also exposure and composition.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
How much could painting that panel really run you? I remember getting the flying roof on the Corvette redone for a few hundred bucks. I don't think you could ask for an easier panel for a body shop to work on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Das Volk posted:

How much could painting that panel really run you? I remember getting the flying roof on the Corvette redone for a few hundred bucks. I don't think you could ask for an easier panel for a body shop to work on.

I could get a quote and see, but I'm not that motivated to, since the targa top is aftermarket and not a perfect fit. Even after regreasing the seals, it still rubs/squeaks a bit in one corner. If I got my hands on an OEM top, I'd definitely get that painted.

I tried to measure my coolant using a ruler through the cap, and I don't think it was more than a couple cm low, which is better than I thought. Topped it with a few cups of distilled water, splashing the engine bay a bit in the process. I decided the best way to dry it off would be to drive it. Went on a short night drive -- there was a ton of construction with parked cruisers along my pleasure driving route, so I didn't rev it out that often. On smooth roads, this car is a dream to cruise around in. On rougher roads, it's still very competent, but definitely shows its age in overall rattliness.

I learned two more things --
1. the popup headlights are very quiet in operation. I haven't been in that many cars with popups, but all of the others, you could feel the clunk as the headlights popped into place. Here, you have to sit up a bit to look down the hood and see that they're up.
2. when all of your power train is behind you, air vented in from the outside has no chance to be heated up by the engine compartment, so it's pretty close to ambient temperature. It was maybe 50 outside, and I couldn't get over how cool the fresh air coming out of the vents was.

Getting more used to the shifting. Even though I never look down to see it clacking between gates, I still grin when I hear it. Actually, if you shift it perfectly, it doesn't really hit any of the metal, so it's only when your shifting angrily that you really hear it. The throw from front to rear is about 6", and I'm still getting used to shifting fast enough with my hand to match clutching out without the engine dropping too much. It is fun, though.

After I got back, I checked the oil and saw I was in the middle of the 2L range, so I added in another 500mL. I'll keep it there til the spring oil change.
The 348 oil cap is all metal, and you're supposed to check the level as soon as you park the car before the oil starts draining out of the reservoir. You have to have something to grip the cap or you'll burn your hand. I just used my T-shirt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

i like Ham posted:

I had never realized how badly I wanted one of these until reading your thread. I've been spending the whole day looking up ownership info and reviewing the ones for sale on autotrader and eBay. My girlfriend's boss collects all kinds of cars including some exotics and a plethora of antique Porsches and his warehouse/shop/mechanic is right around the corner, so I keep telling myself that maybe that means I won't go hilariously broke owning one of these.

Best part was asking my girlfriend this morning if I could "buy a Ferrari from the 80s". Initial reaction was an emphatic "no", but as soon as she saw the pictures it turned into "yes, yes you can".

Supposedly, 328s are the cheapest to own and simplest to work on, with no need for engine-out service. That said, the styling is from a different era that I don't love as much.

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?
I took some glances at 328s, and even two 308s, but I'm right there with you, the style of the 348 wins hands down. There is a pretty clean red on tan targa up on eBay that I was drooling over all day yesterday.

There is an absolutely gorgeous and clean, albeit high mileage, gray one that was just listed today and is only 150 miles from me. Thought I was silly to even look at it given the 55k miles, but then I saw that it was previously owned by the owner of an incredibly reputable exotic shop here in town, and just had an engine out service.

Need to swing by the girlfriend's bosses shop to get a tire mounted on a spare this Saturday anyway, so I'm curious to get his and his mechanic's take on these cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

i like Ham posted:

There is an absolutely gorgeous and clean, albeit high mileage, gray one that was just listed today and is only 150 miles from me. Thought I was silly to even look at it given the 55k miles, but then I saw that it was previously owned by the owner of an incredibly reputable exotic shop here in town, and just had an engine out service.

The one in Houston? I called up Moorespeed about that car, and they said it hadn't been in his possession for some miles.
It might have had an engine out service not that many miles ago, but when I asked, the guy said it'd been 10 years :gonk: since that service had been done, in 2005.
Fwiw, I offered 40 and they immediately countered with 42.

• Locked thread