Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?
Good to know. Just saw it right before I left the office, so I didn't have a ton of time to look into it. All in all that sounds pretty sketchy, so thanks for the early heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Got the steering wheel spacer today and 30min to kill, so I put it on. This job's pretty simple, and there was a decent reference: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/254830-348-steering-wheel-removal.html

The wheel is gorgeous:

Here, I've already pried the top lip off on the right there. Once that's loose, you grab the lips on behind either side of the bottom spoke, and the horn and cover just come off.

The quality and detail of the prancing horse (or Cavallino, apparently) is top-notch:

There's not much wiring under the cover:

I took this pic just for posterity, but I actually had to refer to it to plug things back the right way.

Unbolt the 6 bolts. Set aside.

Inside each sleeve is a pair of plugs, one of which needs to be unplugged to run through the spacer hole:

Run the wires through the spacer and then mount the spacer and wheel.
Hold the wheel up on your knees/quads.
Hear the relay go off several times as you bump contacts and press the horn buttons.
Bolt up the longer bolts through the wheel and spacer.
Run the wires (using the pic, black paired with red, green/yellow paired with green/yellow) back through the sleeves and marvel at the good shape the plastic is in.
Plug them together and then onto the cover. Red+black to the center of the cover, green/yellow to the side. Push the sleeves back down.
Pop the cover back on. Test. Put the fuse back in.

Here's what the spacer looks like:

Nice that it's painted black.

This buys me A LOT of clearance. Compare the 0 clearance from the shot in the OP to this:

The feel is definitely more natural, but I'll have to fine-tune on a drive.

For this operation, I'm glad this car didn't have an airbag.

Oh yeah, to pull up the fuse through the access panel, I had to use my :smug: Ferrari screwdrivers:

E: oops, meant relay, not fuse in that one step.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 7, 2015

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
This thread is so cool and I get totally stoked when I see updates to it. Thanks for continuing to post your awesome car.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Looks like the spacer gives just the right amount of clearance, and I would never get tired of pulling my FERRARI tools out. Echoing others, I love the updates - keep them coming :f5:

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Mcqueen posted:

This thread is so cool and I get totally stoked when I see updates to it. Thanks for continuing to post your awesome car.

This. I'm not a Ferrari guy, but this is turning the tide. I would literally be wearing pastel tshirts and white blazers CONSTANTLY.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This morning, I got a call from the vendor for this paint pen:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9MM046/ref=pe_385040_30332260_pe_301860_26203570_n_id

They couldn't look up a formula for Bianco Beta 222, so they offered to look over other Ferrari models for another white.
Some of the things in their database for Ferraris, according to the rep:
- there is no 348 or 328
- there is an F48, though. Which has no colors associated with it.
- the F40 was built from 2004-2008

I told them I wanted to try 222 just because White 100 didn't seem right, but I'm not sure why it needed to match up to a car for them to make or find the paint.
Had to cancel the order in the end.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I got the glovebox strut. New heights achieved in overpacking:

I guess Sachs just doesn't have smaller sleeve available to pack the strut, so the store followed suit. Can't overpack a $65 part, I guess.

I spent an hour out on the road testing the steering wheel spacer. It really helps, simply so I can scoot forward and reach the shifter better.
I'm still having trouble with my muscle memory mapping of the gears. If I shift into 3rd (bottom row, middle) and drive for a while, I'll remember that I'm in 3rd gear. But when I need to shift again, I'll instinctively reach for 3rd on a normal pattern, overshooting where 3rd is. Weirdly, I don't recall having this problem when I was in the 190E 16v, which was also dog-leg. Maybe because that shifter had a less lofty throw and I could still grab it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You just need to cultivate the opposite habit, so when you drive any other car you can make excuses like "oh, I'm used to the way the shifter is in my Ferrari, my bad :smug:"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've toyed with mentally bumping up the gear numbers by one, taking it from:

R 2 4
1 3 5

to

R 3 5
2 4 6

, as though it's simply missing 1st. But it feels like too much of a hack.

Given much I spend running around in 2nd and 3rd, though, it's not a bad way to describe the car's gearing. That and the fact that it doesn't feel taxing to be spinning 4k just cruising.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

kimbo305 posted:

This morning, I got a call from the vendor for this paint pen:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9MM046/ref=pe_385040_30332260_pe_301860_26203570_n_id

They couldn't look up a formula for Bianco Beta 222, so they offered to look over other Ferrari models for another white.
Some of the things in their database for Ferraris, according to the rep:
- there is no 348 or 328
- there is an F48, though. Which has no colors associated with it.
- the F40 was built from 2004-2008

I told them I wanted to try 222 just because White 100 didn't seem right, but I'm not sure why it needed to match up to a car for them to make or find the paint.
Had to cancel the order in the end.

http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair.html

give this a try it gets good reviews.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

He already did:

kimbo305 posted:

Then spent the next hour struggling with the Dr. Colorchip kit. The instructions make it seem like you should hit it with the cleanup liquid / finishing rub within 5 minutes, but the touchup paint seems pretty normal, in that it's still liquid at that point. After googling around, I found this:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html
which jibed with what I was learning about it. The only thing that's nice about it over a normal touchup brush is that you can overapply and then "wet sand" it down with the cleanup liquid and cloth, instead of settling for waviness in your touchup.

Results are not great, color match wise:

The triangular tip at the top is the cleanup cloth. The spots are about as noticeable in real life as in the picture. It's ok for 10ft, but closer is pretty glaring, especially without clear over it.
The big chip I started on was so deep that I'm doing like the link recommended and curing in a layer before finishing tomorrow.

I couldn't confirm the color for my car. There are some charts out there, but nothing for 1991 348s. Of the 3 colors that Dr. Colorchip had, I think I picked the yellower one and got burned.
Amusingly, Bianco 212 and White 100 are the same. I should have gotten Bianco Beta, I think. The kit was like $50. I probably could have gotten a color matched spray for $300, which I'll consider down the road.
I touched up a few chips along the lower fascia, but opted to leave the few other chips on the body alone.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

leica posted:

So does he get to auto cross and review the 348?

:q:

:getin:

Edit: I'm dressing up as Sonny Crockett for this.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The paint might not be red, but at least the car cover is :effort:

In the thread crossover episode, ZERO CONES WILL BE HIT, ZERO GIRLS WILL BE HIT UPON WITH OFFERS OF FREE COCAINE.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

ZERO GIRLS WILL BE HIT UPON WITH OFFERS OF FREE COCAINE.

Totally.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

The paint might not be red, but at least the car cover is :effort:

In the thread crossover episode, ZERO CONES WILL BE HIT, ZERO GIRLS WILL BE HIT UPON WITH OFFERS OF FREE COCAINE.

That actually reminded me of a 348 I was following in the bay area for a while a few years back. Was in the right lane of a larger street, and the 348 was in front of me. On the left side across the street was a high school cheerleading squad doing a car wash fund raiser and I saw the dude double take, zip into the left lane, got into the turn lane, and flipped a u turn.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

:getin:

Edit: I'm dressing up as Sonny Crockett for this.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Don't forget, no earth tones and no socks.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
protip: Cavallino is what the terribad people who talk about provenance say.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Should probably just call it the horsecock

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
Was you decision to go with the 348, as opposed to a 328 or 308, a function of performance/dollar? From the casual browsing I've done, there are some nice looking mid engine V8 driving Ferrari's from the 80s-90s that seem to hang around the 30 grand mark. TBH I've never driven one, but I gotta think the 308 is at least on par with the 911s of the day. And with the way air cooled pricing is, the Ferrari is crazily turning into the bargain of the two. Still, I'm insanely jealous of your 348 ownership. Didn't you have a Noble M600 a ways back? What happened to that thing?

Also, a few of you guys mentioned the community stagnating, declining, etc. I originally registered around 2004 in my teens, disappeared around 2011 when I shamefully discovered reddit, and came back around late last year because I missed AI. I still spend a decent amount of time clicking through reddit's endless humorous images, but I miss the conversational tone from SA. Esepecially the car subreddits are filled with brainless morons who post poo poo 10x a day like, "how do I drive stick?" "is this absolute disaster of a craigslist link a good deal?" "Should I buy a 2010 Porsche 911 or 1997 VW Golf?" I really have become a bitter late 20s dude like many others. The only other place of solace for me is Rennlist, because literally everyone there is at least 50 and owns like 3 businesses, and generally have an effective command of the English language.

MortLansky fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 10, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maintenance on an air cooled is still gonna be way easier/cheaper than on a Ferrari

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

14 INCH DICK posted:

That actually reminded me of a 348 I was following in the bay area for a while a few years back. Was in the right lane of a larger street, and the 348 was in front of me. On the left side across the street was a high school cheerleading squad doing a car wash fund raiser and I saw the dude double take, zip into the left lane, got into the turn lane, and flipped a u turn.

Sick, perverted motherfucker right there, you should have called the police.

I mean, who lets filthy water/rags and ignorant laborors anywhere near their expensive car? :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MortLansky posted:

Was you decision to go with the 348, as opposed to a 328 or 308, a function of performance/dollar? From the casual browsing I've done, there are some nice looking mid engine V8 driving Ferrari's from the 80s-90s that seem to hang around the 30 grand mark. TBH I've never driven one, but I gotta think the 308 is at least on par with the 911s of the day. And with the way air cooled pricing is, the Ferrari is crazily turning into the bargain of the two. Still, I'm insanely jealous of your 348 ownership. Didn't you have a Noble M600 a ways back? What happened to that thing?

The only AI poster with a Noble was Comrade Flynn. There were a couple for sale locally, but I couldn't get over the insanely kit car feel. I didn't have a problem with that in the 818, since it was selling for $19k.

As mentioned above, I think the 308 and 328 look too dated, grounded in the 70s. From what I've read, the handling improvements in the 348 are really noticeable over the 328. If that's the case, I wouldn't want to step back. For sure, the 348 would be even more enjoyable with another 75hp at its disposal like the 355, but there's no way I could convince myself it was worth it to take on the additional powertrain issues the 355 has.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

From what I've read, the handling improvements in the 348 are really noticeable over the 328.

Apparently the 348 chassis was used as the test mule for the Enzo prototypes.

And you better take back that comment about the 308/328 looking dated, those and the Dino are the best aging vintage Ferraris. It's the 512 and 348 that are perpetually stuck in a decade (the 80's). :bahgawd:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Apparently the 348 chassis was used as the test mule for the Enzo prototypes.
Yass, this bad boy:
http://sa3.1-themes.com/ferrari-enzo-prototype.php

quote:

And you better take back that comment about the 308/328 looking dated, those and the Dino are the best aging vintage Ferraris. It's the 512 and 348 that are perpetually stuck in a decade (the 80's). :bahgawd:

The 512 (well, the Testarossa specifically) is way way stuck in the 80s, but in a good way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSeTTtdt2OQ&t=4s

The BB 512s are timeless, and I think why the 355 swung back that way styling-wise.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

MortLansky posted:

Still, I'm insanely jealous of your 348 ownership. Didn't you have a Noble M600 a ways back? What happened to that thing?

Kimbo had been looking at my M400 for awhile but it was too much of a pain to ship the thing across the country where there was no repair shops.

It was a silly, stupid car and I kind of miss it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

leica posted:

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Don't forget, no earth tones and no socks.

Trip report; this car loving owns. I'll talk about it more when I write up a review but this car is the definition of perfect pure mechanical driving experience.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 10, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Muffinpox posted:

Trip report; this car loving owns. I'll talk about it more when I write up a review but this car is the definition of perfect pure mechanical driving experience.

Holy poo poo :perfect:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is it, AI perfection.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Holy poo poo :perfect:

Agreed, except the pants are too long, the jacket is unfitted, the t-shirt should be pink and the shoes should be very well polished brown double strap monkshoes. I give it 9.4/10, A-
Put a blonde model on your arm for extra credit.

kimbo305 posted:

I've noticed the same thing about AI membership. Is the entire demographic of SA staying stagnant and aging?

My browser crashed while I was typing this up, but I'm 19 and am bucking the trend. I joined up to get some rare wisdom from the programming and networking guys but I found AI, CA, DIY and TFR to be just as useful for my hobbies. I do all my work myself, anything from woodworking to writing device drivers, from fixing running shoes to fixing Jeeps. It's the only way I can afford to have a broad interest in hobbies and stay involved, is if I just take care of everything that needs to be done with my own hands. I'm sure 30 years from now I'll be doing my own aircraft mechanical work too, there's just no escaping it when you want to do something and you weren't born in a position where you can do everything The Right Way, or when nobody but you can do it The Right Way :homebrew:

I think SA is hampered a great deal by the lack of good search tools, "smart" algorithms for linking the different threads into a more universal discussion, terrible UI (lack of personalized sorting especially). The underlying infrastructure for it all needs to be redone too, phbb was never expected to handle so many users. I think probably even here in SA the quality of posts is still worse than, say pre-1992 Usenet, but the likes of the public Reddit are so bad that we've forgotten what true excellence can be like. FWIW some of the private, whitelisted subreddits are OK. I'd say it'd be better to have this discussion in another thread but it'd just end up being titled "the forums are dying" and be completely useless circlejerking.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 11, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I bet that car has seen more cocaine than the average nhl player.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Well done sir :golfclap:

I would have loved to see the jaws dropping when that pulled up to the course :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Oh man. I just showed my wife the Don Johnson autocross post and went on a 15 minute diatribe about how much I love this forum. You guys are the best!

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Muffinpox posted:

Now you just need a mullet and you'll be complete.

Also this thread is :perfect:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Joyrode it a bit this afternoon. Got on the interstate for a couple miles. I was saying to myself, "man, the wind noise on this targa top is pretty bad at cruising speeds," and when I checked the speedo, I was going 90. Might be a little less since these tires are slighly smaller. In all situations, this car encourages you to rev it out.
I think a common characterization of Ferraris is that they're high-strung, which makes it sound like it can rev high but not really enjoy itself there. That's so opposite to the truth -- it thrives as the RPMs climb. The S2000 was the same way, though the VTEC blip was a distraction. Here, the run up to 7800 is linear and totally sweet. The throttle response is sensitive and delicate, and the engine braking equally fine-tunable with your foot.

When I turned the car off, I heard some ominous clonks coming from the back. Then I realized it was the retractable antenna retracting. I wonder if I should grease it, or if that would cause more problems with pulled in grit.

I regreased the targa seals, which were squeaking again, and wiped Hide Care on the driver's seat. The wear on the left boster is more than I originally thought, so now I'm gonna be more delicate when getting into and out of the car. I don't think I've ever paid attention to any of my cars' interiors this way. But it's part of the feel of the car, so I'll def put in the work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are the seats handed? If not, you could swap them over, so you have a "good" bolster taking the heavy wear. Or if you're really fussy about it, a trimmer could repair just that bolster, and it probably wouldn't be ridiculously expensive.

One of the things that's useful about living somewhere RHD, very close to lots of places that are LHD, is that if you've got something that justifies sourcing it, a foreign passenger seat will generally make for a very good condition replacement for a worn driver's seat.

With radio aerials, I normally give them a wipe over with a cloth doused in thin oil, then a wipe again with a clean one. I think you're right about grease attracting dirt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The seatback tilt adjuster is handed, but the seat belt plugs are bolted to the tracks. I think you can swap everything but the seat belt bits, from what I've read on the forums, along with this warning "Ferrari interiors are hand built so it wouldn't surprise me if all the bolt holes didn't line up once you made the switch."
The seat has some front and back looseness; I'm gonna take a look at the bolts holding down the tracks to see if they're not tight. I really hope it's not that; that would be pretty amateur given the otherwise good maintenance on the car.

I'm ever so slightly worried about applying a flammable oil to the antenna while it's out, which afaik is only when the motor is running. Maybe it's also accessories mode? But it retracts as soon as the motor is shut off, putting it inside the engine bay.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I'm ever so slightly worried about applying a flammable oil to the antenna while it's out, which afaik is only when the motor is running. Maybe it's also accessories mode? But it retracts as soon as the motor is shut off, putting it inside the engine bay.

Why don't you apply some of the Shin-etsu to it? A thin invisible layer is all you need.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The motor in the antenna only works while it is moving. It's a pretty ingenious design actually.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Well, maybe this explains the clonking:

Haven't decided if I'll take it for a diagnostic drive to try to figure out the antenna behavior.

The 4 allen key bolts that hold down the seat rails can be exposed by sliding the seat full front and full back. And peeling back some carpet for the front. I was glad to have the wide door sill to sit on while contorting around. The driver's bolts actually were somewhat loose. I torqued them down hand tight and tried the seat out -- it actually felt better! There's still some slop in the seat rails, but no more tilt on the seat base like before.

Found this while I was down there:

Always a little unnerving to see cut wiring, but it looks really old, so I hope it's been fine.

And pried out the old glove box strut. The glovebox sits right in front what what Muffinpox heard was called the coke shelf:

And with the new $50 strut swapped in, the glovebox cover now stays open:

What's hilarious is that even with a brand new strut, the cover barely works. The slightest tap is enough to collapse the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I hate the radio so I always switch out or just disconnect the power antenna, leaving it retracted. Also all my aftermarket car stereos have had smart antenna signalling so the antenna only extends when the radio is on anyway. I'd think this car would have a factory antenna switch, no? Or are you actually listening to the radio?

• Locked thread