Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm a little surprised the Italians would design a flywheel inspection plate that has drain holes.

That level of resigned fatalism is usually never seen outside of the Eastern Bloc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
At gas station:
"Nice Ferrari, man."
"Thanks."
"Is that a real one or is it a kit?"
"A real one."
"Cool, what year?"
"1991."
"An older one -- what model?"
"A 348"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

At gas station:
"Nice Ferrari, man."
"Thanks."
"A real one."
"Cool, what year?"
"1991."
"A 348"
How did he express the "An older one"?

Because to me, a new Ferrari is something that makes me half-expect the owner to be a oval office, and the older they get, the more likely I think it is the owner will be a petrolhead.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Because to me, a new Ferrari is something that makes me half-expect the owner to be a oval office, and the older they get, the more likely I think it is the owner will be a petrolhead.

This.

New Ferrari screams douche, 80s/90s says gearhead, 70s and older means "I have gently caress you money, don't even look in my direction you loving plebe."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Just talking out loud and orienting himself to the age, I think. I haven't decided if it's rude to ask someone if their car is a replica or kit.
The few times I talk to someone with a 356, I'll ask, so I guess I'm guilty of it myself. And I certainly do it for every Cobra I see.

I saw that one of the tail light bulbs was out. Ordered 6 bulbs for $15 shipped, figuring some of the others (and the brake lights, which use the same bulb) might go soon.
Also found out about this site: https://www.superbrightleds.com
The units are more expensive but will probably last longer. I'll look into it for replacing the dome light or anything in the dash if those burn out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Just talking out loud and orienting himself to the age, I think. I haven't decided if it's rude to ask someone if their car is a replica or kit.
The few times I talk to someone with a 356, I'll ask, so I guess I'm guilty of it myself. And I certainly do it for every Cobra I see.

For what it's worth, the rollbar is usually a good giveaway of a clone Cobra - most of the kits beef that up quite a bit compared to Shelby's mousetrap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

For what it's worth, the rollbar is usually a good giveaway of a clone Cobra - most of the kits beef that up quite a bit compared to Shelby's mousetrap.

Of those three examples (348, 356, Cobra), I'm sure the ratio of replica:real is the highest for the Cobra, so I feel the most confident before I ask that it is a replica. And the Cobra replica is most likely to have incongruous go-fast parts on it, like racing seats.

After driving the car more, I've decided for sure to get an aftermarket exhaust. The shop is gonna ring up the vendor and see if they can get a discount.
I will get a reference video at some point of the stock exhaust and then a comparison video down the road. I don't want to say too much just in case it doesn't all work out for some reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd bet the 356 replica to real ratio isn't far off of the Cobra these days - it helps that both are cars that have drivetrains that are easy to duplicate in just about every way. You end up with a very faithful recreation of the original experience, even if the components aren't the same.

Whereas a 348 would probably cost as much to properly recreate as it would to just loving buy one, since pretty much the only place you can get a flatplane V8 is with a prancing horse on it.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone to be at least a little offended if you ask if a real one is a replica, but the amount of rage I've heard from kit-Cobra owners who hate the K word is just hilarious.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The 356 technically was a kit car anyways :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think it's rude as such, I think it's more if it's the fourth time that morning, people get a little tired of it.

They do get riled up if they say "Yeah, it's an MR2 kit" and you go:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kimbo305 posted:

I mean, personally, I wouldn't be terribly upset over some one asking if its a kit, because either A: It was a kit that was done really really well or B:A Ferrari isn't exactly an every day car, so people just naturally assume its a Fiero.

I just assume all Shelby Cobras on the street are kits, because the only real one I have ever seen was in a Concurs de' Elegance show parked along with several other rare/one of cars.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I mean, personally, I wouldn't be terribly upset over some one asking if its a kit, because either A: It was a kit that was done really really well or B:A Ferrari isn't exactly an every day car, so people just naturally assume its a Fiero.

I just assume all Shelby Cobras on the street are kits, because the only real one I have ever seen was in a Concurs de' Elegance show parked along with several other rare/one of cars.

Are exotic kit cars even a thing anymore? They seemed to be all the rage in the 90s and now I can't remember the last time I saw one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Depends on the region. I lived in a city that was hellbent on screwing and gluing anything tacky to their cars. I actually counted at least 4 kit cars in various states of being finished in the year I lived there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dumb question - why hasn't anyone made a flatplane kit for something like the LS motor.
I know people spend money on crazy poo poo so a crank, cam, and firing order change in an ECU isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like Lingenfelter does that very thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Dumb question - why hasn't anyone made a flatplane kit for something like the LS motor.
I know people spend money on crazy poo poo so a crank, cam, and firing order change in an ECU isn't out of the realm of possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxngbwE8jg

Just gonna leave this right here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I dunno if this would be cheaper or practical plumbing-wise, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoAPfJ4Rkbs

e: got some Rain-X wipers when I saw the sale notice on Jalopnik; put those on today.
Confirmed that the tail light bulbs should be easy to get to.
Greased the side walls of the shift plate, since it was squeaking when I slid the shifter against the side of a gate.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 18, 2015

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Saga posted:

Capot, Capotte or Capote? That's some proper old-school Italian quality control - they sell you a $100k+ or whatever car, but they can't be bothered to proof read their own manual. Or alternatively the three guys in charge of headings, captions and body text just agreed to disagree because :italy:

Hate to be the guy to ruin it, but it's just different languages and stuff. As you can see the manual is in Italian, English, French and German.

Capot is French for hood. Capote is Italian for hood as well. And Capotte is Italian for sunroof.

Apologies if :thejoke:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tapet posted:

He's talking just the French column, though.

On some other page, there's some word in the English column that is clearly the Italian writer going, what's the English word for this? Probably like the Italian word; I'll leave the 'i' off the end and I'm sure it'll be fine.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 18, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

At gas station:
"Nice Ferrari, man."
"Thanks."
"A real one."
"Cool, what year?"
"1991."
"A 348"

If anyone ever asks you how much it costs, please only answer "More than you can afford, pal".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tapet posted:

Hate to be the guy to ruin it, but it's just different languages and stuff. As you can see the manual is in Italian, English, French and German.

Capot is French for hood. Capote is Italian for hood as well. And Capotte is Italian for sunroof.

yeah the french line clearly had one guy do the headers and another guy do the body.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

I like how there's a BMW 8-series in the background

mobby_6kl posted:

If anyone ever asks you how much it costs, please only answer "More than you can afford, pal".

That was an F355 spider though (I feel like such a pedantic nerd saying pointing that out)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

iwentdoodie posted:

This.

New Ferrari screams douche, 80s/90s says gearhead, 70s and older means "I have gently caress you money, don't even look in my direction you loving plebe."

The car classes at the Virginia City Hillclimb are usually done at the last minute, since we don't really know the final groupings until the day before. We usually break them down into way too many model-specific classes with 2 or 3 cars in each at the most. I thought it'd be funny to organize them into "Ferrari Early Model" and "Ferrari Late Model" with the cutoff being the 458. That was not well received by some people :laugh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

The car classes at the Virginia City Hillclimb are usually done at the last minute, since we don't really know the final groupings until the day before. We usually break them down into way too many model-specific classes with 2 or 3 cars in each at the most. I thought it'd be funny to organize them into "Ferrari Early Model" and "Ferrari Late Model" with the cutoff being the 458. That was not well received by some people :laugh:
Why not have Ferraris and M3s split in a similar manner, "dyed and/or gelled hair, pastel or fluorescent polo shirt, Ray Bans other than Aviators" in one group, "normal humans" in another?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The most embarassing Ferrari encounter I've had so far was going to the mall on Sunday, parking in the back half of a pretty empty lot, and coming back to see an F430 also parked back there, but slanted across 4 spaces. The lady driving it pulled a couple of clothing store bags out of the frunk (which, maybe unsurprisingly, is rear hinged) and marched off. I couldn't bring myself to go over and see if it was manual or automatic. I just wanted to get out of there to make sure anyone else passing through didn't group me into the same driving mentality as her.

neckbeard posted:

That was an F355 spider though (I feel like such a pedantic nerd saying pointing that out)

There's no popular representations of the 348 in movies, I think :(.
The chase at the start of The Rock, the start of Goldeneye, and in F&F -- it's all 355s. That said, the motor sounds those cars make are pretty true to life. After the test drive, the first thing that came to mind was the 355 tearing around San Francisco.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite Ferrari experience actually involved a red 348 flying up the on ramp to 280 in San Jose just south of where it crosses 101, and I swear to god it was a real life picture perfect recreation of that old Genesis or NES game (it's been years but you know the one) where a red 348 with the targa off came flying up that long sweeping up hander ramp with at least 15* yaw off center, possibly 20*, dude with huge shades and Miami vice hair flawlessly hanging the rear end end out continuing across three lanes to the carpool lane, and some trophy blonde in the seat next to him with her hands in the air. Then hammered it and dissapeared.

The second experience was with my E30 heading out of San Jose up Mt Hamilton towards Livermore at midnight one night and halfway up to the top I encountered a black Testarossa going the opposite way at an incredible rate or speed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

14 INCH DICK posted:

My favorite Ferrari experience actually involved a red 348 flying up the on ramp to 280 in San Jose just south of where it crosses 101, and I swear to god it was a real life picture perfect recreation of that old Genesis or NES game (it's been years but you know the one) where a red 348 with the targa off came flying up that long sweeping up hander ramp with at least 15* yaw off center, possibly 20*, dude with huge shades and Miami vice hair flawlessly hanging the rear end end out continuing across three lanes to the carpool lane, and some trophy blonde in the seat next to him with her hands in the air. Then hammered it and dissapeared.

:allears:

e: neckbeard, I know it's not a 348, dammit.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 18, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

:allears:

e: neckbeard, I know it's not a 348, dammit.

Memory is such a fragile thing isn't it? [/krieger]

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

There's no popular representations of the 348 in movies, I think :(.

Yeah, looks like nothing popular (at least, nothing I recognize).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

Why not have Ferraris and M3s split in a similar manner, "dyed and/or gelled hair, pastel or fluorescent polo shirt, Ray Bans other than Aviators" in one group, "normal humans" in another?

Hahaha I'd love to, but those types always self-select themselves out of the group after realizing just how scary pushing a car they don't know how to drive on a road with 400' drop-offs can be. Those that do stick around know not to use words like "provenance" in our presence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Raluek posted:

Yeah, looks like nothing popular (at least, nothing I recognize).

Scent of a Woman, a Jackie Chan docu, and then this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667950/?ref_=ttep_ep3

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That cracked belt makes my blood run cold: http://blog.motorcarstudio.com/?p=262

Also, in thinking about how the car behaves dynamically and how it makes me feel, I refer to Chris Harris driving the 458 Speciale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysaE9i2RNyE&t=416s

The rear does swing about, but with all the feel you have available, it doesn't feel sudden or threatening.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kimbo305 posted:

That cracked belt makes my blood run cold: http://blog.motorcarstudio.com/?p=262

The cracked alternator belt?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Hahaha I'd love to, but those types always self-select themselves out of the group after realizing just how scary pushing a car they don't know how to drive on a road with 400' drop-offs can be. Those that do stick around know not to use words like "provenance" in our presence.
It's called darWINian selection, brah, not darLOSER. *Pops collar and turns off all electronic aids*

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

neckbeard posted:

That's just the right amount of pedantry I think, but I'm rather impressed you remembered exact model of a car that was on screen for maybe 30 seconds in a movie 15 years ago :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wallaka posted:

The cracked alternator belt?

Right, I had thought changing any belt up front required dropping the motor, but fortunately, it's not that bad. If you have the car on jacks or a lift, there's more than enough space to unbolt the alternator and then undo the belt. Which I guess you'd have to do to undo the A/C belt.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

It's called darWINian selection, brah, not darLOSER. *Pops collar and turns off all electronic aids*

And then you end up like this guy, taking the event with you in the process...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Das Volk posted:

No more hill climb because that guy crashed?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Das Volk posted:

wow he hosed that one up good. :v: didn't know you could target fixate in a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

No more hill climb because that guy crashed?

He was killed in the crash. According to a car and driver article, there was a trophy for highest trap speed in a certain section and he was attempting to win that.

• Locked thread