Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wow! That thing is really neat! I am surprised it has a 25 gallon tank! My first car had a 25 gallon tank (1980 Bonneville) with how much you bike do you see yourself filling up once or twice a month? I also would appreciate a running log of all the (dumb) things people say that depletes your faith in humanity. Namely hearing "You wanna trade?" every time you take it out. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

My avatar is 100% accurate to what I look and act like in real life, except I'm even more jacked from my jacked on jacks workout program.

In my mind I just had Dom from brosience life just narrate that :catstare:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and updates so thanks. Some questions:

Have you thought how long you intend to keep the car? Surely you must have ADD like the rest of us. I'd like to think I'll have my current car forever because I'm happy with it right then but even I know that's a lie.
Do you feel like this car has sold you on the brand? Has the ownership experience made you feel like you're a Ferrari guy now, meaning future cars will be other Ferraris? Is the community the kind that you would want to subjugate to in the future? I only ask because for me after getting my old M3 and getting into the local BMW community I am pretty sold on the brand. Other cars sound fun, but I don't see myself venturing out though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That was a great reply. Given some of your automotive history it seems that you not only are open minded enough but also have the balls to venture out into the new unknown. I do see what you mean with the later model Ferrari needing to be "the right kind" because your 348 hits a ton of great points, namely the iconic style and driving experience. It doesn't seem too far fetched that the 360 Modena wouldn't some day be easily attainable for most mortals, but at that point you lose a lot of the charm and romance of what you have in your 348. Again I applaud your decision as it takes a huge set of balls to go for such an eccentric choice in car and the whole lifestyle/stigma attached to such a thing. It will be interesting to see what this experience pushes you towards for your next (mis)adventure.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

If it was a Lexus IS-F the shrapnel would have been overwhelming. On the plus side it's definitely obvious she doesn't snort coke. On the negatives she's probably not The One. There will probably be a time later in life she's going to look back and think 'dammit'

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

So you are approaching your anniversary of your purchase. Looking back over the year what are your current takes on the car? Is it still a honeymoon for you, or has it become a bit boring or a chore to enjoy? With your expenses you have put in to it how do you feel you are making out on the resale? I get that this wasn't exactly a purchase "as an investment" but this is more genuine curiosity out of what it would be like to own decades old exotics. What is your current exit strategy and how does that compare with your original plan at the time of purchase?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I saw there is a 328 for auction on bring a trailer. I'm not so well versed in which vintage is more desirable but how has the values of those models affected yours? I assume you keep an eye on those kinds of things.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Aesthetically I think it is hard to really hate. The red with the gold/chrome lip wheels are a good looking combo and if anyone was going to stancebro a Ferrari then I would trust the Japanese to do it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Good luck on your auction! It has been an interesting ~year of reading and insight. I think that it is safe to say that I am not ready for exotic car ownership (which my bank account can verify). The adage of your thread title definitely rings true. I am surprised that you are not going the route of the full service first. My thoughts were that it would be worth the full service because you could command the higher premium and thereby weed out the countless swaths of goons hoping to make a cheap score. I would just thinking it would mean less of a beat down in the comments. The M3 that I just bought was listed pretty high as far as the market was concerned but after my phone call with the seller he told me that he purposely did that to weed out the dreamers and that the person who knew what they were looking at would make the right contact that communicated to the seller there was sincere intent. All told I went above what I had budgeted in my head; but that is because I have followed the market for a long time and I am aware of what inventory was out there. I paid a little above market and the seller is happy knowing the car is going to someone that recognized it was more special than a standard M3.

You are taking good steps by taking it to BAT though it will either be adored for the transparency and care you put into it, or a couple of mouth breathers with a keyboard could end up spoiling the bunch. At the least (should reserve be met) the car will be placed with a like minded person that will hopefully take the car and really enjoy it for what it is. Have you taken a thought into the next car? Do you think if you got a non-lemon Viper you would be here today selling it?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Their cut is 5%, so the buyer pays 105% of the winning bid.

I didn't realize that the buyer pays the percentage; I assumed that the percentage was taken out of the final sale price. BAT has a commission cap of like $5k or something like that which makes it cool when stuff like Porsche 959's are sold

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Good luck today! I will be watching the auction while at work. I think it is the most interesting auction of the day with the next best one being the Exige S (holy smokes $50 grand already :stonk:)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That last second bid! :drat:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your rear end seems remarkably accurate right now.

:allbuttons:

Great work kimbo305!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That was one heck of a ride and it sounds like the type of person that's going to enjoy the car got it. I'm a bit surprised at the cost of ownership. I wasn't expecting that much of a hit. At the end of the day cars are toys and toys cost money. My current cars are by far the nicest cars I've ever had (between my wife and I) and I plan on having them for a long time. Our annual mileage is pretty low and all things considered there isn't any reason we can't keep them for at least 8-10 years. I'd go longer than that if I'm able to.

What's next? Are you going to have a cooling off period or do you have a decent idea of what's next? The only next step seems like a Porsche of some sort would be the final hurrah.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

In the middle of my glorious desert state on the way to Las Vegas the posted limit is 80 MPH. Average above is usually 5 over. If you're going more than that don't expect leniency from the highway patrol. Kind of hard to argue that you needed to be doing 90.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Well to run one of those you'll definitely need to afford a large life insurance policy. :eyepop:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I like that 911! I clicked through the photos before looking at any of the details and was not expecting 240K miles! That is the kind of car you can drive without much to worry about. The Lancia is also awesome. I remember seeing one driving around the University of Utah that was slick and clean as ever. I nearly broke my neck looking at it going the opposite direction. A lot of incoherent words came out of my mouth trying to explain to my wife what happened. She didn't understand :sigh:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

NSX prices are already going to the moon :(

I think older BMW prices are about to take another jump, also.

Agree. Just look at the price E36's are fetching on BAT. I say you go bat crazy on some wild handling car like a Lotus or exocet of some type. Or get one of those really good Shelby replicas that are murder machines.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Will we muffinpox style autocross review? I hope the answer is yes!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I was watching that auction and your comments. Very informative and you could see a wave of nostalgia hitting you pretty hard. I loved your white, but red and tan is so classic it looks right on that car. Seems like the market was fair to both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Back to the Ferrari build quality and paint topic --
a BaT Testarossa deal went south over paint condition:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-ferrari-testarossa-6/#comment-1915397

I think the buyer has every right to ask for the car to be in the condition as claimed in the listing, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the paint was sloppy from the factory, as a follow comment has said.

I missed the DOXX on that. Was it deleted or removed from BaT? Who was it that got called out?

• Locked thread