Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Awesome toolkit and a pretty awesome toolkit holder too. Always loved the 348 more than other Ferraris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

They are probably who I will go with for all special interest/antique vehicles in the future, assuming they don't quote me the "we don't want your business" price because of my mile long driving record full of inspection sticker violations.

I'm pretty sure your driving record at this point says "Sealed by DHS."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is it, AI perfection.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm a little surprised the Italians would design a flywheel inspection plate that has drain holes.

That level of resigned fatalism is usually never seen outside of the Eastern Bloc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Costco near me has a machine for the tire techs to use. My friend has asked and gotten to test his wrench against it before. Your mileage will vary.

22mm is odd. Are you sure it's not 7/8" which is common on Chevy trucks?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I've met a handful of certified Audi mechanics who didn't have the first clue what CIS was so the idea that these wizards of car repair know your marque better than anyone else is fairly laughable.

We once tried to take an Audi 5000 to the dealership for one of its scammy "bring your out of warranty Audi in for an inspection and get free wiper blades" promotions, both out of a desire for free wiper blades and a desire for A Story (or at least being able to understand where that weird clunk and hot-idle problem may be coming from).

The service writer failed to look it up on the computer and brought out the head tech, who denied the existence of any such car in the Audi family.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh, I am by no means blaming the mechanic, but coming out and asserting loudly that the car didn't exist and was never made by Audi was a step above.

Plus I wasn't expecting anything other than the general scam "buy here pay here" inspection ("Your tie rods seem loose," he says, while prying at them with a breaker bar) and a set of free wiper blades.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Eh, the service writer at the Nissan dealership also refused to believe my wife's car was a model that existed until he came outside and read the trunk lid for himself. She had words for the manager after that.

You gotta wonder about the cases where people legitimately come to the dealership with the wrong car. Nobody seems to know what the early-90s Mazda logo is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A butane soldering iron probably gets hotter and is more controllable than a Zippo. I know Weller makes a nice one.

sharkytm posted:

Crimping with the correct tool is better. Soldering is fine, so long as you support the connection with glue lined heat shrink. No matter what, use glue lined heat shrink.

Glue lined weatherproof heat shrink.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've been around a few real Countachs and let me tell you, some of the Fiero replicas are better made.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I hope you get it taken care of and are back driving again happily really soon :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I drove my friend around in it today, and she was getting seriously nauseated from something she drank and being jostled by the car.
I had no choice but to pull over on a cutout to let her throw up. She ran off into the woods, leaving me standing by the car with the blinkers on.
The whole time I was thinking, great, now anyone who drives by will think this car's unreliable. Unlike the AMG GT that was being flatbedded somewhere.
To be fair, dude with Italian sports car + a girl who is perhaps drunk/on drugs is not exactly a nicer stereotype.

In the future, just ripping stationary burnouts on demand would help dissuade them from thinking it's not working.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll buy that dude an account if he's interested.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Seems like an Italian thing -- Ducatis are the same way. Aprilia, too.

They probably started spraying at the fenders, and didn't adjust their distance from the panels for the doors which are further in.

Probably the fairing is the same deal, I bet it's a straight back and forth paint booth without the ability to track the curves of the fairing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

My friend is taking the whole weekend to decide if he wants that salvage Boxster I won on eBay, so I can't proceed with any of my schemes til then.

How is there not an Exocet/818 kit for wrecked Boxsters yet?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a pricey meatball.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Owning Lancias are about as much fun as bashing your dick with a hammer from personal experience. Except with bashing your dick, you at least choose to stop - a Lancia will keep inflicting pain

I think the best Integrale repair (and there are many) is the power steering rack.

Somehow the Italians managed to make a total bitch job on any car even worse.

Also, the rack itself is agonizingly slow. On RHD models they just jammed a steering rack from the Fiat street-car parts bin in there so it's even slower.

The water pump is a total bitch to replace and extremely expensive for no real reason.

Before you buy it you should look at the top of the B and C pillars because they rot and the unibody will distort under hard offroad driving.

Hell of a car though. It's a shame that the Italian economy has been too poor to allow Lancia to do enough cocaine to take the Ypsilon rallying.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 12, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

There was a goon that had an Integrale a few years back. IIRC they owned it for 18 months, and the owner said he only got to drive it maybe 6 times ever, because the rest of the time was spent trying to unfuck Lancia electricals or sitting in the shop waiting for parts.

Was that the one where the car was basically 100% colonized by moss? I don't think that one ever ran again, or at least they abandoned the thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I think I'll get outbid by a little bit on this one, so will get freed up by auction's end. If it were an EVO, I'd probably still bid harder despite CT's and SSS's advice. Those box flares :eng99:

Don't get me wrong: If I had the money and more importantly the room to own one, I would probably own one.

If anything, I am repeating to you the mantras which keep me from succumbing to my Italian car lust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think I was ever local, but that would be a fun ABAI (:canada:) road trip.

• Locked thread