Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I've noticed the same thing about AI membership. Is the entire demographic of SA staying stagnant and aging?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I remembered this as I was filing the shop work record -- they were able to diagnose the non-functional oil temp gauge to the sensor at the bottom of the oil reservoir. So wiring is good, gauge is good, but sender is not giving a signal. The replacement is supposed to be "not that expensive," but I'll find out what that means in the spring when I get fluids changed and an alignment. Access to the sensor is easy when the reservoir is drained.

Oh also, who thinks Muffinpox looks like Doug Demuro?

Either that or he's a good writer on SA moonlighting under an alter ego as a bad writer everywhere else.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

There's a 22k mile twin to that car on copart in oregon with a clean title. Worth watching to see how much the questionable nature of an auction subtracts.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/40160085?searchId=1441640879

That's very close to me and a couple other goons on here. I wonder what the mechanical issue is.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Nobody seems to know what the early-90s Mazda logo is.

Marathon? I loved that game!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Keep on it with the neurologist. I had chronic facial pain that escalated to unbearable for 2-3 days a week over the course of 5 years and effectively ruined half of my 20s. Everyone thought I was crazy and I spent a lot of time at a research hospital where I was frequently interesting but not fully diagnosable. MRI and CT got nothing. It turns out I had inflammation near my salivary glands and nerves got pinched every time I ate or smelled food. We didn't find this out until I demanded an anti-inflammatory steroid to see if it'd stick. Good luck, mystery ailments are the worst and often require obnoxiously persistent self advocacy on the side of the patient.

blk fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 1, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm too late for this but I'm actually in the opposite camp - drive the Ferrari and make it NBD. If you have a special fetish car you only use for special occasions, and you don't consider seeing her special occasion, it makes you look like an old man with a garage queen Corvette and runs the risk of her feeling unspecial.

TLDR you shouldn't have to talk about your car either way and a 348 is a sign of connoisseur, not a badge snob, as long as you show you're ready to enjoy it.

Also Lamborghini and Porsche are both VAG so she gets a pass.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There's an interesting ebook on Amazon called "one year with a Ferrari" or something where the author buys a 355. I forget the dollars per mile in operating costs but IIRC it cost him $80 to take his daughter out to ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If I'm understanding you correctly, this is the difference between the NA Miata and the E30 318is for me.

The Miata's controls are unified in their feel and compliment the throttle and brakes nicely. Everything is light and can be done with a pinky or a toe. The same amount of input is required for all systems in the car, and the same level of output results from all of them.

The 318is has the throttle and braking response of the Miata, but with heavier steering and an unweighted German shifter. I want a nice example of this car desperately, but when I drive one, it always throws me how turning requires twice as much effort as you'd expect from such a lightweight drivetrain. The whole package doesn't add up to an organic whole, it's just a more excitable E30.

• Locked thread