Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Left Ventricle posted:

C4 Corvettes use the left side park brake lever too. So this whole thread could be an elaborate troll.

It's called a fly-off handbrake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

1500quidporsche posted:

Should also say the fact that the Formula One thread on SA isn't stuffed with insufferable cocks that take it way too seriously is also a huge benefit to having an SA account.

You and I must be reading different F1 threads...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Das Volk posted:

I'm an oldfag by a long way (almost 13 years here) and I've seen the demographic of AI change over the years. A lot of posters have been run off or got bored over the years, but there's still a core group. Kimbo is one of the original core group, and followed an evolution I've seen a few people go through, including myself. I left being a mechanic behind years ago because my project cars (the SW20 turbo and 190E Cosworth for example) were basket cases that never fully worked. I lost patience with it and left most work to dealerships, often at my own peril. Ironically there are newer people here who think I can't lift a wrench when in reality I simply got sick of it.

My days of laying on cardboard under a storm drain are long gone, and with good reason - a minor gently caress-up during a suspension install with the SoCal AI crew left me doing an impression of a Reliant Robin on 280. As all this relates to Kimbo's purchase, I think being in a position to DIY as much as possible is the key to "affordable" exotic car ownership. I bought a lifetime extended warranty on the Viper (which will inevitably bankrupt them) to sandbag against the eventual mechanical destruction of the car. By the time I've got a house with a lift I think I'll be prepared to come back to DIY work, but only with the right tools and equipment.

This will be an extremely controversial statement in here, but honestly working on a car is one of the least pleasant experiences I can think of, other than going caving or sea kayaking off the coast of England on a lovely day. Skinned knuckles suck and I break out in a sweat the moment I have to start wrestling with stuck bolts and socket sets and those stupid c-clips and the rest of it. gently caress that noise.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yes they'll support them, they'll just have different tools in their box to do so.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I still have some weakness and numbness waking up, and I notice it's very easy for me to make an arm fall asleep just by lying on it. I gotta schedule a followup to chase down whatever this is. Still not sure if this'll clear up on its own or if I need some treatment. I think it very well could be psychosomatic, but I honestly haven't been experiencing many life changes or stress throughout this period, so it wasn't what I first suspected when I started feeling things.

If it helps reduce your anxiety levels any, I have been going through something similar since last May. It started the day I got the i8 to review. Went to yoga that morning for the first time in a while (and the last time ever since), spent 8 hours driving and then came home and had to put in about 6 hours in with Project CARS for that review. Woke up the next day with my shoulder in agony, spent two weeks with it in a sling-that was a mistake as it caused a frozen shoulder-and even now I still don't have 100% of my strength back in that arm and if I sleep on that side my arm goes to sleep and I wake up with pain. Doesn't seem to be anything neurological, just the shoulder muscles cramping up in spots which then pinches various nerves. The only thing that really helps is either a physio massage (which is torture) or doing it myself with a tennis ball against the wall or lying on the floor.

Getting old sucks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
No large area numbness, sorry.

Youth is wasted on the young.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I've decided the douchiest Ferrari is the California. Saw one the other day and just hated how cheap it looked. It still sounded great, at least.

They're lending me one to review on Friday in case you have any questions about it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

A california is the one ferrari I've always wanted. A nice comfy GT car that I can just cruise in, but will wail like a banshee when I get on it. :ohdear:

Can I interest Sir in the FF? Covers ground rather rapidly in rain or snow, and you can do the Costco run in it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

The FF is the number 2 ferrari I'd like to own, followed by the testarossa at #3. I have bad taste in cars.

The FF is a seriously amazing piece of kit, and if you were only able to have one car but it has to cost almost $400,000 it's perfect.

The problem is if you want to hear that amazing V12 you have to rev the nuts off it (and open the windows, it's seriously refined inside). Which means you get 6mpg. Now, you're probably thinking "I've just spent 400k on a car, I can afford the gas." And you can, but that's not the problem. The tank is so small you'll be lucky to visit a gas station only every 200 miles. For a car that's meant to cross continents in a day, it needs longer legs.

But the thing I really want to know is what maintenance is going to be like once they've got some decent miles on them. Not one but two transmissions! And of course that massive V12.

When I was driving it I couldn't help imagine what it would be like if it had a 3L V12 and a gently caress-off great hybrid system so it was still 600hp and awd but with socially acceptable fuel consumption. That would be just about the perfect car on the planet, IMO.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Oil temperature should lag water temp, which is why it's foolish that car makers don't usually include oil temp gauges.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Got a really crappy shot of that GT3 RS and a 6.0 Hammer:

Was expecting to get another one when I walked out, but both were gone.

I dunno if I've called this out before, but the plastic parking logs are really smart for this lot. They're not bolted down. So if you tap one, it'll just scoot back.

But by that much? I was surprised that the needle wasn't at least noticeably risen by the time the water was at 195 and setting off the fans.

I've seen it take about 10 min before oil temp to be hot enough to start pushing things (in a number of cars, including Corvettes, a Huracan, 650S, and FF). Isn't this the reason older manual F cars need time before you can shift into 2nd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to own a 80's French Hatchback?

I drove one of those on Tuesday at the Lane Motor Museum and it was amazing, but the driving position and ergonomics are horrific. Check Ars this weekend for the article.

• Locked thread