Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kimbo305 posted:

Yup, the "gentleman's stranded on the roadside" toolbox is strapped down with a leather belt:

Stuff like this is part of the theater of the car. I actually made a Along Came Polly style spreadsheet comparing all the cars I was test driving, and the 348 got the 10/10 for the "magic" category.

The quality of the box in construction and material is really really high:

That's probably the classiest thing I have ever seen on a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anecdotal, and tainted by your own tastes and likes being a large influence on him.

Young people these days don't need cars as much because they can chill with their friends on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat (as opposed to older generations who could only hang out and chat if they physically could get places), and most of them aren't working/earning enough to afford a beater, so aside from kids whose parents don't start exposing them to cars and racing at a young age, they just don't care.

Cars are less interesting and more of a commodity.

When I was 18, we'd talk about mods to genuinely improve performance, getting under the bonnet was an essential skill, there was a real difference in performance between brands/models and the differences between them were greater.

These days, the most useful questions that are going to be asked are: what lease deal should I get and how do I clear the CEL?

You used to be able to identify a car by just the taillights. Now I have problems telling them apart when I am looking at the entire thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Hi. I love AI. 23. I just mostly lurk as I don't have any money for interesting cars at the moment, since I just recently started a new job. And have zero access to credit due to moving countries.

Speaking of which, I'm jealous of what you pay to insure the Ferrari. Try being an immigrant to the UK. 3600 dollars/year to insure a 2002 Skoda Fabia 1.4 with its dangerously high 75 horsepower. With a mileage limit of 2000 miles\year. With a 1500 dollar excess. On a 1000 dollar car.

With a telematics box.

That is the single cheapest quote I've been able to find. It's even better when I look at quotes for something at all interesting and the algorithms freak out. Why yes, I do think paying 40,000 a year to insure a 1500 dollar car is reasonable.

(you don't have PMs)

Have you tried NFU Mutual - they may regard 3 years of not having claimed in the UK as not having had an accident for 3 years, even if you weren't here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Yeah, skip those. Once you are outside their comfort zone, you get put in the same category as someone who asks for a quote whilst holding a still-burning steering wheel.

Also remember that UK insurance is targeted to people who choose a policy based on what type of stuffed toy you get with it.

Mind you, you're still going to get reamed on costs, compared to the US.

OP - what's the car like as a practical drive? Putting aside costs, could/would you use it instead of a Civic?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Talk to NFU Mutual or a broker and you might get lucky.

NFU gave me three years NCD, even though I had been out of the country and had absolutely no proof that I had been driving/insured while there.

Anything you try and do through gocompare, etc is going to end up being put through to their 'special quotes' dept. The AA quoted me £4,000 for a £2k car in a low crime area. NFU came in at <£900

spog
Aug 7, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

We were walking into the restaurant and saw a black Gallardo out front. She gave it a pleased look, but then said, "I like nice cars like this Porsche."

So, you're not seeing her again, right? Shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

quote:

The seller took ownership in 2001, and notes three engine-out services in that time, all carried out by professionals. The first took place in 2003 at 26k miles to the tune of $5,700, the next at 36,500 in 2010 ($30k), and the final, most recent from December of last year (46k miles and $10k).

It that standard?

You have to pull the engine for every minor service interval?

• Locked thread