Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oooooh a real Ferrari!

Whats the gearbox / gated shift like to row through? I've only driven flappy paddle shitfest Ferraris and I would looooove to try a real gearbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JFC that guy needs to have a war crime committed on his rear end

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You *really* dont want the Intergrale. They don't drive as well as the Japanese AWD's of the era and it's a hosed piece of poo poo reliability-wise. Oh and rust. LOL the way they rust. Lucas style electricals? HAHAHAHAHA that would be an improvement! Ease of working on it when one of it's many things it can break, breaks? You wouldn't wish working on it on your worst enemy.

Oh and they explode headgaskets in ways Phase 1 Subaru EJ25's wouldnt even contemplate. And you will need to do a timing belt immediatly, that much age on it is a timebomb. It is a garage queen, plain and simple.

Owning Lancias are about as much fun as bashing your dick with a hammer from personal experience. Except with bashing your dick, you at least choose to stop - a Lancia will keep inflicting pain

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think the best Integrale repair (and there are many) is the power steering rack.

Somehow the Italians managed to make a total bitch job on any car even worse.

Also, the rack itself is agonizingly slow because that was the part they took from the standard car.

The water pump is a total bitch to replace and extremely expensive for no real reason.

Before you buy it you should look at the top of the B and C pillars because they rot.

Oh dear LORD, yes if you have never experienced changing a rack in Delta, you just don't know how much an engineer could hate mechanics so much. I've changed a headgasket and.... you know what? I'd rather burn the loving car to the ground. Which fortunantly on a Lancia of that age will probably happen, given the electricals will be just complete dry rot.

If you drove that car, you wont believe what will fail in short order. The fact the timing belt MUST be changed now is ugly just by itself.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Was that the one where the car was basically 100% colonized by moss? I don't think that one ever ran again, or at least they abandoned the thread.

Yep. It just simply turned into a true shop of horrors the more he dug into it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

But all the videos of people driving it seem to give it rave reviews as far as handling.

Here's the truth about it's handling. Believe it or not I am a Lancia fanboi esp their older cars and I would kill for an 037 or S4. And I would have a Stratos and masturbate to it daily (and ignore how ugly the chassis is under the gorgeous clothes). Gimme a HPE or Beta Coupe too (despite how awful they are in plenty of ways) and have you seen how gorgeous a Fulvia coupe is????? - so making GBS threads on a Delta doesnt actually still well with me buuuut..... yeah no it's one of the most overhyped cars of all time.

It's understeer and more understeer without a lot of throttle playability on the limit. There is no "spooky" zone where the car transitions from "quick" to "OMG WTF how did I get around there so fast" - it's speed around corners is solely reliant on grip, rather than finesse.

No denying that while it runs, it's small and light. It is however in no way a car you can put on a dime - more like aim for the nearest meter and hope for the best. In rallying it was the ultimate point and shoot weapon - bigger cars like the Liberty RS and Galant VR4 outhandled it (!) but couldn't keep up as they were considerably heavier and bigger. Once the Japanese worked out that they needed to downsize into the EVO and WRX.... game over for Lancia.

(To be honest a lot of Lancia's Delta's success is proof bulk spending can buy the best drivers, the best mechanics and the best scrutineers and spending six times the amount of anyone else is going to give you a huge advantage)

Some of the issues are fixed in the Integrale Evoluzione II. But otherwise Oh god no, it's not a good handling car at all, it's a grip monster at best and a pig understeer at worst. Others might like grip monsters but I dont - handling happens when the grip runs out and when it runs out on a Delta you are visiting a tree head on screaming WHY WONT IT TUUUUUUUUURN!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

Not really the same kind of experience, GTR is longer wheel base, heavier and has a track orientated 4wd system. The integrale is more akin to a 205 t16.

If you want something of a similar size, 4wd and designed for rallying you can get a Pulsar GTI-R which are mental little cars when they are not in pieces.

Id go R32 GTR.... if I could find one that hasnrt been thrashed.

I thought about a GTiR at the time I first got a VR4.... actually a pretty neato car. Except the famed glass gearbox issues and the intercooler that is in fact an Interheater due to its lousy location. Stock its fine..... turn up the wick or wider tyres expect something to go bang. Stock is still a riot tho.

• Locked thread