Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

Nice!

How are these for servicing? Relatively ok, or lots of :ohdear: stuff of the "yeah, that's an engine-out one" variety?

Iirc, engine out on this era of cars isn't actually THAT difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least when I first started with Hagerty, there was no age limit on the driver car (at least, not one that young) - it's why I bought my '88 Volvo 240, and this was around 2005.

Not that I think it matters to much of AI now since we're all getting to be old fucks, but back then Hagerty was also the only company I could find who would touch an under-25 driver.

It's sad how most of us started as late teens early 20s assholes, now we're all bitter late 20s++++.

And that this forum has had very little turnover in 3+ years.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Not many new people coming through. Isn't TT the latest regular AIer that hasn't been run out of here?

Do we have bad B.O. or something?

I think more that SA isn't super popular anymore thanks to reddit/fb/etc, and honestly most younger people don't give a poo poo about cars because they can't afford them.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anecdotal, and tainted by your own tastes and likes being a large influence on him.

Young people these days don't need cars as much because they can chill with their friends on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat (as opposed to older generations who could only hang out and chat if they physically could get places), and most of them aren't working/earning enough to afford a beater, so aside from kids whose parents don't start exposing them to cars and racing at a young age, they just don't care.

Pretty much this.

I work with a lot of 24 and younger people, who HAVE a steady income and can afford a car...And even among the ones who do choose to buy one, they don't give a poo poo. Basically whatever is pretty or cheap.

Edit: I carried a bare cylinder head in the other day and it was like I had a third nipple on my face or something. Working on your own poo poo, or enjoying cars, is an oddity to most people and doubly so for young people. I'm only 28, but I definitely see it.

On the other hand, I know quite a few in that same bracket who loving love bikes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Please post how well that grease works. I have some seals on the GTI that are intact, just very dry. Itd be awesome if that poo poo could save them.

And yeah, AI is a very good and unique community. Once I found it, I stopped going to any other auto forums for anything beyond searches.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cakefool posted:

I like how close run it is between the evora and miata :v:

I like more that the Miata has a higher magicka.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Preoptopus posted:

Fixing something feels good when your done tho.

This. I (now, anyway) work behind a desk after years of working with my hands. If it wasn't for working on the car/bikes, I'd go nuts. It's fulfilling and very Zen feeling. Even when it's loving annoying, it's so much better than sitting in my god drat office chair.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I bet that car has seen more cocaine than the average nhl player.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

How did he express the "An older one"?

Because to me, a new Ferrari is something that makes me half-expect the owner to be a oval office, and the older they get, the more likely I think it is the owner will be a petrolhead.

This.

New Ferrari screams douche, 80s/90s says gearhead, 70s and older means "I have gently caress you money, don't even look in my direction you loving plebe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I think the 360 has aged better also.

But it still won't turn heads like a 348/355.

• Locked thread