Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo. Congrats man, that is a loving gorgeous car and I'm incredibly jealous.

Pics as Sonny Crocket with it please :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gonna need some videos brah. Preferably a go pro mounted right above the exhaust when you give it the Italian tune up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I use Shin Etsu grease for seals, works awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

How greasy is it? The targa stows behind the seats in a way that might spread the grease everywhere if I overapply and tap the leather with the seals.

It's not bad at all, if you use it sparingly the rubber absorbs it right up like a conditioner. It's great stuff, I find myself using it for all sorts of poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I need to make a playlist for driving songs for this car. That song will be on it, as will Night Drive and In The Air Tonight.

This is a double CD, buy it you won't regret it, best driving music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0NcdQgMFXQ

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

It's sad how most of us started as late teens early 20s assholes, now we're all bitter late 20s++++.

And that this forum has had very little turnover in 3+ years.

Not many new people coming through. Isn't TT the latest regular AIer that hasn't been run out of here?

Do we have bad B.O. or something?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I dunno, my son is 7 yrs old and he loving LOVES cars, and it's not like I'm encouraging it either. Whenever he sees a 911 or any kind of Ferrari he freaks out. He begged me to take him to cars and coffee after finding out about it all on his own.

I guess my point is you can still love cars even if you can't afford them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anecdotal, and tainted by your own tastes and likes being a large influence on him.

Anecdotal yes, but honestly it's not like I have posters of Ferraris all over the house, I think it's more of a product of the area we live in. Lots of rich people with lots of exotics driving around. 911's are like Mustangs around here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The only other forum I can't complain about is the Protege forums, but that's a pretty small community. Once you get into the numbers of miata owners on mnet you have yourself a very consistent dumpster fire.

That being said my local Miata forum isn't bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

You guys really don't take any poo poo. I thought about making a thread for my Miata but:

1. I don't have anything to post about

2. I'm afraid I'll turn into the next Sperglord Firecock

Don't feel bad, I haven't posted a thread in years, mostly because the poo poo i do is pretty boring maintenance poo poo.

iwentdoodie posted:

Please post how well that grease works. I have some seals on the GTI that are intact, just very dry. Itd be awesome if that poo poo could save them.

And yeah, AI is a very good and unique community. Once I found it, I stopped going to any other auto forums for anything beyond searches.

Get the grease it's worth it just to have it around for whatever.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seconding a hub spacer, or you might be able to find a longer hub to begin with. 1" can make a big difference.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

As I understand it, the 348 uses a standard 6-bolt fitting, so an off-the-shelf spacer should work, but I'm going to suggest you consider a removable steering wheel kit. They add an inch or two of spacing out (which may actually be too much), and you get the slight secutity benefit of being able to take the wheel with you or hide it.

But doesn't that increase the odds of his steering wheel disappearing if he doesn't take it with him?

Honestly, if was really worried about my Momo getting stolen, I'd rather tack weld the nut to the shaft and have to grind it back off if I had to get the wheel off. Removable wheels just make it more of a PITA to me.

Not that I'd ever actually do the tack weld thing, but I have thought about it as a solution.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure that's normal, the center hole of the wheel goes around the lip, and the horn button inside of it. And I think Momo and nardi have different patterns, that's why a lot of ebay generic hubs are universal.

But at least it comes with black hardware, for some reason every spacer on ebay comes with chrome hardware, why the gently caress would anyone want that.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 1, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Just put a pentagonal nut or something equally annoying on there.

Oh poo poo, good idea. Gonna look into doing that for my Miata, I just got a Momo that's waiting to be installed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The Corvette is my C6 Z06 with RC5+ brake pads, and the Miata is Muffinpox's tracked out NB.

So does he get to auto cross and review the 348?

:q:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

:getin:

Edit: I'm dressing up as Sonny Crockett for this.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Don't forget, no earth tones and no socks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

Trip report; this car loving owns. I'll talk about it more when I write up a review but this car is the definition of perfect pure mechanical driving experience.

Well done sir :golfclap:

I would have loved to see the jaws dropping when that pulled up to the course :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I'm ever so slightly worried about applying a flammable oil to the antenna while it's out, which afaik is only when the motor is running. Maybe it's also accessories mode? But it retracts as soon as the motor is shut off, putting it inside the engine bay.

Why don't you apply some of the Shin-etsu to it? A thin invisible layer is all you need.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you considered after market wheels? Or wheels from another Ferrari? The offset looks WAY off and doesn't look right at all, the rear wheels need to fill out the wheel well. There would be no shame in going with quality aftermarket wheels that look like they fit the car correctly.

As far as the seals go maybe you could try the trick Miata owners use, stuff some weather stripping into the voids of the seals to to "puff" them out and create a better seal. Worked for me, I used the caulk backing method stated at the end of this page:

http://www.miata.net/garage/weatherstrip/index.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mafoose posted:

Also, I think leica was saying that you should buy aftermarket wheels for your Ferrari. Older used HRE wheels are usually not too expensive, and many are period correct for Ferraris of that vintage. Being as they are a high end wheel, many are even Ferrari bolt pattern and offset.

Yeah that's what I meant. If there aren't any stock options that make you happy by all means go aftermarket, the wheels in the links above look pretty sweet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That's the problem with non-car people talking about cars. They don't know enough to even join the conversation.

Haha try talking to non car people about owning a Miata. I don't even try to explain it anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, great upgrade, also puzzling to me why Ferrari would try to restrict it. That Ferrari sound is what most people want.

Also noticed in the video that the wheel spacers made a big difference. The car looks great, wouldn't change a thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe he was stressing about DA PATS losing two in a row :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat dude, hope they can figure out what's wrong and get you better. I went through a similar situation with mystery symptoms, and a year later the VA finally figured out I had Crohn's disease. It sucks but at least it's not a mystery anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

This sentiment is totally understandable. Having a beater Miata has been really liberating, especially for a neurotic perfectionist like me. The car is presentable but annoys me to no end with its rust, faded paint and rock chips. I do want to eventually own one in pristine condition but would it really be better? A showroom condition car would be too nice to take out all the time and would just end up stored away from the elements.

Right now I can just hop in and drive it where ever and when ever, without giving a second thought to salt spray, gravel roads or street parking it with the top down. The car turns into a means to an end rather than end in itself.

I owned a pristine 95M and had to sell it because it was too nice. I was worried about it getting totaled because that would have meant I lost my rear end, at the time the market for them was ridiculous, but the insurance companies valued them like a base Miata. When I sold it, KBB valued it at $3500 and I sold it for $10k to a guy in DC that had it delivered to him, bought it just off the pictures in the add.

Beater Miatas rule.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I'm surprised it's not more common with small volume car communities.

Picked up the Boxster. I really miss the gated shifter :(. Keep trying to put it into 2nd. Stalled at a light twice not realizing that's what I'd done.

Missed the big race, but still passed by:

Shoulda stopped and did the ride along, I bet it's pretty rad.

Been meaning to do it myself, but every time I'm over there it's for a race.

[e] Oh and congrats on the sale, and the acquirement of a fun car you don't really have to care about :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What is the largest belt-driven V8? The only one I can think of is the 928's motor, but there's gotta be some others.

My Lexus LS430 has a timing belt, wasn't really too thrilled about it at first, but from what I've seen the original belts can last over 200k although it's obviously not recommended. Apparently Lexus over engineered the gently caress out of the timing belts as well as people were reporting them showing hardly any wear way past the recommend change interval, so that has made me feel better about it.

Kinda surprised at Ferrari using timing belts, I would have never guessed that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Yup, the belt outlives the tensioners.

Do they give warning before they go? I hope it makes noise or something :ohdear:

Terrible Robot posted:

You and me both, and you're right 2005 is the cut-off. Once they moved all their production to the US for US market it was all downhill.

Both my Lexus and Scion were built in Japan thank god. I'm going to keep these going as long as I can.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Lancia is super cool because it's the ultimate hot hatch and I love hot hatches, but I gotta say if I had the cash a 911 would be my choice for a great all-around sports car. They really are the best everyday sports car, and I would daily drive one all day long if I could.

[e] Although if I were to get a rare expensive hot hatch I think i'd look for a Renault Turbo 2 first :3:

[e2] Oh My God http://bringatrailer.com/2017/03/28/series-one-seats-75k-1983-renault-5-turbo-2/

:swoon:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 12, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to own a 80's French Hatchback?

Yes. Yes I am :colbert:

My pockets aren't deep enough tho :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That blue 911 is freaking amazing. Looks very unique for a 911, is it a rare factory color?

• Locked thread