Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was reading the Millennial thread in GBS and it made me think about how easy it is as a millennial to outwork your competition. Just by not screwing around on my smartphone every 20 minutes I crush most people at my day job.

I started thinking about fields where you could make a ton of money without technical skills just by working hard. I was going to write up the post below for the thread but it I figured it would be wasted by a bunch of "it must be nice" responses and excuses why they are broke with their sociology degrees or privilege rants or god knows what else besides inward reflection. The post starts below:

This generation's work ethic is so bad anyone who puts in even a token effort can be successful. I bet there are 5 fields I could walk into tomorrow and be killing it within a year.

Any of you guys who complain you can't get a job or make any money here is one way to make 6 figures. Go get a real estate license. 95% of agents don't do a drat thing. Once you get your license, walk though a neighborhood every day and knock on every door and ask if they want to sell their house or know anyone who does. Leave a door hanger on every house no one is home. This is the "hard work" part. I bet you make 6 figures by year 2 if you do this 15 hours a week. I must know 50 agents and only one person has ever walked a neighborhood and knocked doors. He makes more than anyone else I know. Everyone else shares their 1 listing on Facebook then goes to a networking event where they waste their time talking to other agents who don't do anything but post 1 listing on Facebook. There is so much money in that industry but the agents are so goddamn lazy. I bet agents are late to 80% of their appointments too. How can you not be on time to the only thing you have to do all day? I would pay $1,000 retainer fee just to have an agent who is never late.

I actually thought about becoming a real estate agent just because I honestly do not believe there is an easier field to outwork your competition. It is not a field I am interested in (nor does it align to my skillset) but I kind of want to do it to prove to myself I could destroy the competition. If I get bored of my day job I might give it a shot.

Here is how you know there is just piles of money to be made in this industry. 95% of the money is made by 5% of the agents. That top 5% works their asses off but they aren't any smarter than anyone else. I don't think I ever met a real estate agent who could tell you what the Pythagorean theorem is.

I was about to hit post on this and my buddy called. He got laid off 2 years ago and started a lawn care and exterior maintenance company. I was actually his first ever paying client. I hired him to fix a rental property I have and he did it fast and on time, which is just as rare as having a real estate agent show up on time. His first month he made like $800 cutting lawns and bullshit like that. 18 months later and he should be knocking down 5 figures this month. All he does is show up to every job on time, work his rear end off, and clean up when he leaves (which these people never do). This guy isn't Einstein, he never went to college, but he works his rear end off. All of his business is from referrals. His entire advertising cost was 5 shirts with his name and logo + number, 500 business cards, and a sign he puts in the yard while he is working. And he is so busy I can't even get him half the time, and he is one of my best friends!! I also helped him get this started and if anyone has some questions on the initial start up I can tell a good story showing the difference between overthinkers and people who get the drat thang done.

OK that was my post.

What other jobs are there you can make a killing with hard work alone? No degree and no resume required. I have a couple thoughts but I am curious if this forum has any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Learn this one simple trick, real estate agents hate him!
I'm the next Carlton Sheets!

I should have done a different original post, but I thought this would be an interesting thread. I had actually been thinking about starting one like it for a while. Maybe it should have been about non-salary based jobs or something....I don't know, guess I blew it. I think I read too many pages in a row of people complaining about their lives right before writing the first post. It was my mistake, bad tone, sorry to come off like a huge jerkoff, which I am not in real life. Seriously, I am not. I think I translate poorly to text hah

I thought it was interesting to talk to the guy who just walked around neighborhoods and knocked doors and made a ton of money, but I wrote it condescending (which the guy I know is not) and probably ruined what could have been a interesting thread with my tone. Before meeting this person I would have never though of an agent doing that and it blew my mind something so simple worked so well. No one has ever knocked on my door to see if anyone in the neighborhood was trying to sell a house.

As for my friend, I'm just happy for his success and though I'd share how what is perceived as a low income job can work out well with dedication. And yes, we hang out all the time prussian advisor.

I have a regular job but also a side business that allows me to meet small business owners and when I meet someone who does really well at something most people struggle to get by doing I always find it interesting. I guess I was hoping someone in this thread could share similar stories of what they did to turn what is considered a menial job into a nice income, but maybe this is the wrong site for it.

Sundae posted:

Have you considered a career in sounding like a serious dipshit with a holier-than-thou complex?
Yes but unfortunately it is a lot of effort without much money so It doesn't fit the thread hah

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

moana posted:

I agree. I out-efforted a bunch of people in self-publishing, but I can't sustain it and I'm starting to feel the drag after just a year of doing it full-time. Two/three more novels and I think I'm done.
That is awesome you are doing well at that. A writer is one of those careers a ton of people want to do but they never actually write anything to draw a dime. I always thought self publishing was an interesting way to make money online. What did you do that helped you succeed? Ddi you pick a niche for your novels? How long have you been doing it? Is it your only income?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I always wondered how the economics of car dealerships work. Every time I go to one it seems like there are 10 salesmen just standing around. Not because they are lazy, just because they always outnumber the customers.

The entire concept of dealerships is insane in 2015. I feel like dealerships should be a big rear end maintenance garage for warranty work and maybe 2 models of each car, one base, one fully loaded. You go, check them out, then build the exact car you want online and it comes on a train or truck 2 weeks later. And the price should just be the drat price. In 2015 I don't have to haggle over the price of a pair of jeans at Wal Mart, why is a brand new car not just a fixed price? It is ridiculous.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

adorai posted:

I don't think there is a lot of haggling anymore (on a new car). You basically just pay what the dealership paid plus a few hundred bucks. Smartphones have made negotiating extremely one sided.
There is still some though. I was looking at a Volt the other week and got it down at least 2,500 from his "bottom line" without even trying. Of course, I doubt there are 3 car models in existence where the buyer has more leverage than a Volt sitting on the lot right now.

Aliquid posted:

There was talk of Texas getting rid of the dealership oligopoly this past legislative session (libertarian broken clock) but dealerships and Red McCombs in particular are powerful because of their market position.
Oh yea, the laws protect dealerships more than just about any other business in existence. I forgot about that part.

• Locked thread