Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008
Practically anything you do, if you think you can out-effort 95% of your peers, you'll succeed in it and make whatever the top end money is for whatever you're doing. You can be a body builder. You can be a fisherman. You can be a hot dog vendor who lives at his stand 6 days a week. The only things you can't do are things which require physical or mental traits in the top few percentile, like being an astronaut or a basketball player.

But in reality it's not that easy out efforting everybody. And some times it's not about just working really hard. Are you willing to move and leave your friends and family behind? Are you willing to put off starting a family or developing relationships? Are you willing to do douchebag things?

And if you're going to out-effort everybody else, you can't just pick anything. You actually have to love what it is you're doing to be able to sacrifice so much in order to do it to that extent, and figuring out your work passion is something most people never manage to do.

Bicuspid fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

moana posted:

I agree. I out-efforted a bunch of people in self-publishing, but I can't sustain it and I'm starting to feel the drag after just a year of doing it full-time. Two/three more novels and I think I'm done.

well as long as you're rich now!

• Locked thread