Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Oh man.

I haven't touched it in years, but some of my best gaming memories are from PR. I'm not $70 hopeful, but I'm all over that $30 tier if this sounds even remotely decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
That is some PR-rear end PR. Still really cool to have that much drama in a shooter over all of a thousand yards.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alpha servers have been up since last night and I've played a few hours, so far first impressions:

- This game is hard as gently caress.

- Roleplaying a taliban is fun.

- Seems like cheating with fooling with your graphics settings/gamma is a problem. Nothing new there.

- I am bad at this game but reminds me of starting out any tac shooter, eventually I will get better.

- The difference between playing with a good squad and lone wolfing is night and day, you will get loving owned trying to lone wolf.

- Gunplay is realistic and hard.

- Netcode doesn't seem to be an issue.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the RPG like in this game?

Any game where you play as a taliban\insurgent needs a good RPG

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

soy posted:

Alpha servers have been up since last night and I've played a few hours, so far first impressions:

- This game is hard as gently caress.

- Roleplaying a taliban is fun.

- Seems like cheating with fooling with your graphics settings/gamma is a problem. Nothing new there.

- I am bad at this game but reminds me of starting out any tac shooter, eventually I will get better.

- The difference between playing with a good squad and lone wolfing is night and day, you will get loving owned trying to lone wolf.

- Gunplay is realistic and hard.

- Netcode doesn't seem to be an issue.

How is messing with the graphics settings like cheating? Making it easier to see through bushes or whatever?

Also, lone wolfing is impractical enough that they warn you about it in the intro documentation. It says something along the lines of "Hey, it's a teamwork based game. Don't lone wolf. You're going to die, and be useless, and not have fun. Don't do it!"

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaodai posted:

How is messing with the graphics settings like cheating? Making it easier to see through bushes or whatever?

Also, lone wolfing is impractical enough that they warn you about it in the intro documentation. It says something along the lines of "Hey, it's a teamwork based game. Don't lone wolf. You're going to die, and be useless, and not have fun. Don't do it!"

Yeah I didn't tool with it too much but if you can see through bushes and poo poo more than others then you'd be at a huge advantage.

Pumping up gamma at any point, and especially at night is basically unavoidably advantageous and easy to do. I don't think there's a lot they can do to fix this given the engine. Again, not a big deal and nothing new.

And yeah, obviously lone wolfing is a bad idea. It's just hilarious how useless you are if you try it in this.

soy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 26, 2015

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mans posted:

Seems pretty good, you get 4 or 5 shots. I wounded a guy with my rifle and then shot it at a wall behind him while he was bandaging and killed him.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this game is actually good as gently caress

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

it has a big splash but taking it out/reloading/etc is really really slow, which is good

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I tried playing a bit earlier today, but the servers crashed twice. In an alpha, that's understandable though. I enjoyed the bit I got to play, and will try again later though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I have to throw down $70 to get in early? Is that the deal?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tab8715 posted:

To get into the Alpha, yeah. There's a $30 tier if you just want to preorder. The site says you'd likely get access in December under that plan.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what kind of maps are there? any maps with big cities/relatively close range combat?

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Is there a way to adjust the zero on your irons/optics? Some of the footage in the first post suggests that ACOG scopes are the way to go if I want to ID where the enemy is and where they are shooting from.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I still play PR once in awhile, it occupies a nice niche between BF2 and ARMA in terms of realism and play-ability. The upgraded population count is something I have felt was missing since Joint Ops had a max population of 150 and that hasn't really been approached in any similar game since without dipping into the MMO pool.

It also looks like they will be improving the firebase building and entreching features which could be pretty cool. A lot of my fun in the game was getting supplies to a cross-road and setting up shop, or delivering supplies to other squads around the map with a helicopter or truck.

I wonder if they will finally be able to add fast ropes when they implement helicopters now that it is a stand alone game?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
IIRC fast ropes was a KS stretch goal that wasn't met, so they are at least considering it I suppose.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

PhantomZero posted:

I still play PR once in awhile, it occupies a nice niche between BF2 and ARMA in terms of realism and play-ability. The upgraded population count is something I have felt was missing since Joint Ops had a max population of 150 and that hasn't really been approached in any similar game since without dipping into the MMO pool.

It also looks like they will be improving the firebase building and entreching features which could be pretty cool. A lot of my fun in the game was getting supplies to a cross-road and setting up shop, or delivering supplies to other squads around the map with a helicopter or truck.

I wonder if they will finally be able to add fast ropes when they implement helicopters now that it is a stand alone game?

Helicopters was like their largest stretch goal and they didn't meet the 3-4 stretch goals before it. So I guess they aren't adding them? :shrug:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Davincie posted:

what kind of maps are there? any maps with big cities/relatively close range combat?

One of the maps has about 5 or 6 large compounds squashed together which is like a small village. There aren't any building assets besides several variations of rural compounds, so no city blocks yet.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012
Played a good 5 or 6 hours so far and I love it. Definitely feels bare bones, but that's to be expected without vehicles, logistics, or any additional weapon variance or customization which I'm sure they plan on adding. It's an alpha, and it's way more solid than almost every alpha I've ever played.

But for the life of me I can't get a handle on long range engagements. I'm constantly getting sniped by people on distant hillsides after only 3 or 4 shots, when I can dump 40 onto them and not even come close with any weapon, even the M4 acog. Bullet drop I can handle; I know it takes time to naturally adjust to these things, but even when I've dialed in on a shot on someone who's sitting still or standing a long ways off, there is so much variance in the projectile flight path that I find it impossible to hit them. Every shot just strays off course to the left or right to an absurd degree. And I'm not particularly surprised by that, I just don't understand how other people can land shots so quickly.

Is there something I'm missing in regards to zooming in, stamina usage, suppression, etc? that explains why I'm struggling so much with this? I feel like I'm taking these things into account, often staying still for a while before firing, but nothing has helped. Typically after a few games in any FPS I can at least manage to snipe a stationary target semi reliably. I don't think I've gotten a single remotely impressive headshot so far and that's unusual for me.

I always expect to suck for a while in a new shooter, but I'm whiffing so many distant shots that it's starting to annoy me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Death by Chickens posted:

Played a good 5 or 6 hours so far and I love it. Definitely feels bare bones, but that's to be expected without vehicles, logistics, or any additional weapon variance or customization which I'm sure they plan on adding. It's an alpha, and it's way more solid than almost every alpha I've ever played.

But for the life of me I can't get a handle on long range engagements. I'm constantly getting sniped by people on distant hillsides after only 3 or 4 shots, when I can dump 40 onto them and not even come close with any weapon, even the M4 acog. Bullet drop I can handle; I know it takes time to naturally adjust to these things, but even when I've dialed in on a shot on someone who's sitting still or standing a long ways off, there is so much variance in the projectile flight path that I find it impossible to hit them. Every shot just strays off course to the left or right to an absurd degree. And I'm not particularly surprised by that, I just don't understand how other people can land shots so quickly.

Is there something I'm missing in regards to zooming in, stamina usage, suppression, etc? that explains why I'm struggling so much with this? I feel like I'm taking these things into account, often staying still for a while before firing, but nothing has helped. Typically after a few games in any FPS I can at least manage to snipe a stationary target semi reliably. I don't think I've gotten a single remotely impressive headshot so far and that's unusual for me.

I always expect to suck for a while in a new shooter, but I'm whiffing so many distant shots that it's starting to annoy me.

I've run into much the same situation regarding long range shots. I figure I'll adapt eventually.

On a different note, anybody else have abnormally high latency? Is it just the alpha servers or what? I see a bunch of people up over 200, and I'm usually around 150 myself, and that's to the NY servers. Does it come along with the general instability? I do play on fairly full servers the few times I've tried. I also think my KDA is like 2 kills to 12 deaths or something. And those two guys I walked around a corner into and shot them in the back full auto with an AK.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Anyone want to play Project Reality together? I'm looking for people to play with and the BF4 thread people referred me to post here about it.

Tab8715 posted:

That's what I would do, tbh. I would make Early Access super expensive and overpriced so that I keep out the riff raff and only have testers who were serious about helping test. Then for whoever actually paid that overpriced nonsense I'd value their input and interact with them constantly. Then when the game came out I'd bring the price back down to some cheap poo poo so that everyone will be like "oh hey it's out and it's cheap as gently caress now? awesome i heard good things about it from the early access people because the developer was very responsive to their input." It's pretty smart tbh.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

This looks pretty good for some dod1 style fun. Are there loadouts or do you have squad roles? ie how do you choose equipment.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

xutech posted:

This looks pretty good for some dod1 style fun. Are there loadouts or do you have squad roles? ie how do you choose equipment.

Right now, you join a Squad and then select a Role, which gives you your equipment. Some roles are unlimited (like the US Army having a few different kinds of riflemen that lets you determine if you use iron sights, a red dot, or an ACOG), and some have a set cap per squad. Everything but Medic is 1 per squad, medic is 2.

Beyond that, there is no loadout customization right now that I'm aware. Most roles have their primary, their secondary, two kinds of grenades (frag/smoke, two kinds of smoke, or a launcher if they're light anti-tank), a couple of bandage kits, and a shovel (or medkit in the case of the medic).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Game is good

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

Game is good

Confirmed

Can't wait for more patches

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
How do you actually even buy the squad leader package? Their link on their website that says it redirects to paypal is broken.

Edit: The "accept" button for their EULA doesn't show up on Firefox, how helpful =/

Also, keys are not instantly sent out once you paypal them money. It seems I will have to wait a day or two until someone manually generates a batch of keys.

TheSpartacus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 3, 2015

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
How did the Alpha run? My biggest complaint with Arma 3 is that to get 60fps you need to run it on a MILNET render farm.

Haven't played the original PR in a long time. My most memorable experience was being the medic in an Air Cav squad- everyone piles in a chopper, pilot gets out for some reason, and I unknowingly enter the pilot's seat. That kills me and gives me a 6000 second spawn timer penalty.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

PR seemed like a good game but it seemed like anyone in a position of video game power was a douchebag. When I tried out PR with my friends, we created an APC squad and took an APC and then halfway to the objective my commander/server admin starts yelling at me for driving around in an APC without a gunner. He threatened to ban us all so my friend had to drive the APC back and we all had to walk for like 10 minutes to the objective

It wasn't long after that we quit. holy gently caress I couldn't keep my hands off alt + f4 with some of those people

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Red Orchestra and Arma had their share of sperg, but PR was the absolute worst. I'd rather play with the loving SS renactors than some of the PR community.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharnakes posted:

Red Orchestra and Arma had their share of sperg, but PR was the absolute worst. I'd rather play with the loving SS renactors than some of the PR community.

Planting satchels on SS re-enactors while they were doing formations was the most fun I've ever had in a milsim fps.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dilkington posted:

How did the Alpha run? My biggest complaint with Arma 3 is that to get 60fps you need to run it on a MILNET render farm.

Haven't played the original PR in a long time. My most memorable experience was being the medic in an Air Cav squad- everyone piles in a chopper, pilot gets out for some reason, and I unknowingly enter the pilot's seat. That kills me and gives me a 6000 second spawn timer penalty.

You do not need an amazing computer to run it at 60fps

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found a really horrible exploitable bug, I'm helping!

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Eonwe posted:

You do not need an amazing computer to run it at 60fps

It is one of the most CPU intensive games out there today, and considering we are getting better and better optimized PC ports these days (MGSV, Mad Max 3, etc) with this new console generation, it will probably stay one of the games that needs a lot of computing power for some time to come.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

It is one of the most CPU intensive games out there today, and considering we are getting better and better optimized PC ports these days (MGSV, Mad Max 3, etc) with this new console generation, it will probably stay one of the games that needs a lot of computing power for some time to come.

I meant Squad, should have clarified

Squad does not need an amazing computer

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
Are they planing to do Vietnam at all it felt like that was the funest in pr with out everyone getting optics on their rifles.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Wow, it's nice to see they aren't giving the insurgents advanced optics all over their ancient Soviet junk. Nothing ruined Insurgency for me like seeing an insurgent running around with an MP40 that has a red dot and a laser attached to it. My immersion. My realism. :negative:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can anyone playing Squad comment on how the long range shooting works compared to BF2 PR?

I actually liked the cone of fire effect from BF2 that was carried into PR because it turned encounters between the opposing teams into actual shoot outs that developed over time instead of people instantly nailing each other from long range.

In Red Orchestra and Insurgency I had no hesitation pooping out of cover to zap a MG with my rifle because I could count on such precise aim/controls. In PR trying to pop up and get into a head to head shootout with an MG was death sentence. Although nailing dudes with the pixel accurate bolts in RO was indeed super awesome and rewarding, I hope that PR goes a different route.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 4, 2015

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006

The French Army! posted:

Wow, it's nice to see they aren't giving the insurgents advanced optics all over their ancient Soviet junk. Nothing ruined Insurgency for me like seeing an insurgent running around with an MP40 that has a red dot and a laser attached to it. My immersion. My realism. :negative:

Ya but it was also stupid how one side got all the fancy optics and one got nothing lead to one side just trying to all be snipers in pr. I also hope they make it so you can pick up dead enemy weapons in squad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

Can anyone playing Squad comment on how the long range shooting works compared to BF2 PR?

I actually liked the cone of fire effect from BF2 that was carried into PR because it turned encounters between the opposing teams into actual shoot outs that developed over time instead of people instantly nailing each other from long range.

In Red Orchestra and Insurgency I had no hesitation pooping out of cover to zap a MG with my rifle because I could count on such precise aim/controls. In PR trying to pop up and get into a head to head shootout with an MG was death sentence. Although nailing dudes with the pixel accurate bolts in RO was indeed super awesome and rewarding, I hope that PR goes a different route.

It feels a lot more like original PR than Insurgency aiming wise, but I don't know the mechanics of how their recoil system works exactly

I know the MGs are really good in Squad and if one was aiming at me even at long range I keep my head down for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sounds like the game has the same weapons as America's Army?