Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vahakyla posted:

You sort of get this by knowing the center of your monitor, and some games give a mode where it zooms a bit and allows you to point shoot looking over your rifle. Squad would be a great fit for it.

Have any other tactical shooters implemented this?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Ready or Not has, I believe.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Due Process and Hunt: Showdown too.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

3.0 has been pretty fun so far. I'm enjoying the marines and their loadouts.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

I picked up Squad recently — ex-RO/RS player who had taken a break from these types of games for a long while. Does anyone have any recommendations/videos/starting advice for new players? Any good NA servers to check out?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Compares to RO/RS, the biggest difference is that the map is a lot bigger, and usually there's both a defense and attack objective active at the same time (depends on the game mode, but RASS, random advance and secure, basically, the location of the next objective is not revealed until you've captured the previous objective, is the most common). Therefore, knowing where to spawn is important. You should ask your SL if you don't know where to spawn. Sometimes it's best to not spawn so you don't get stranded in a dead portion of the map.

Vehicle plays a bigger part in Squad than RO/RS. Vehicle has very high overall health pool (like 10x-20x more health than a component), so it's best if you can score hits on something important instead of just anywhere on a vehicle. Most vehicle engine is marked by a ring of barbed wire.

In this type of game situation awareness is as important as shooting, so have your map up, lots.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

gottagotowork posted:

I picked up Squad recently — ex-RO/RS player who had taken a break from these types of games for a long while. Does anyone have any recommendations/videos/starting advice for new players? Any good NA servers to check out?

Moidawg's beginner's guide video got me started

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Some good servers are: Reaper's Hideout, Chancla's Air Strike, and SPH. They're all good about leaving people alone while also banning CHUDs and nazi sympathizers on sight. Can't say that about 80% of the servers unfortuntely

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

Thanks for your responses. I'm pleasantly surprised by how welcoming the community has been. The downtime and thinking/talking between action is a needed break from the endless respawn fodder of most other FPSes. It's been very easy to have a good time with this game so far.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

gottagotowork posted:

Thanks for your responses. I'm pleasantly surprised by how welcoming the community has been. The downtime and thinking/talking between action is a needed break from the endless respawn fodder of most other FPSes. It's been very easy to have a good time with this game so far.

Tis a good game. One of the least toxic online shooters, you just have to find some decent servers with active admins and there's plenty of them.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

patch notes posted:

Reduced the size of the “trigger” collider – AT mines will now only explode when a vehicle drives directly over the mine with its wheels / tracks.
This is very good because bridge camping is harder to pull off and easier to dodge

patch notes posted:

Can now hold or toggle sprint diagonally from ADS.
This is annoying because it's harder to hold a corner

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/JoinSquad/status/1588231278905761793?s=20&t=jYVQaZhUlq6uer5gMODRjA

The game isn't completely dead!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Love Stole the Day posted:

Some good servers are: Reaper's Hideout, Chancla's Air Strike, and SPH. They're all good about leaving people alone while also banning CHUDs and nazi sympathizers on sight. Can't say that about 80% of the servers unfortuntely

How's the playerbase?

I find the experience in Squad can be really hit or miss depending on who you're playing with and how they like to play.

Squad is a ton of fun when you're in a squad that has an SL who's actually providing direction and you're squad actually stays together and tries to work together, and your squad has specific objectives that they're working on. Otherwise its just a really boring game loop of running sim plus "who loving shot me?".

I've lately been enjoying modded Arma 3 even though the gunplay is so clunky/awkward because the parts where you're huddled and making a gameplan and then stepping off is every bit as fun/interesting as the pew pew parts. I'm sure you could get this in Squad in some sort of competitive clan or something but I dont have the time to dedicate to clans nor the patience with the whole lame fake military cosplay ("refer to me by my rank, Private!"). I don't care about folks nerding up about radio procedure and tacticool chatter, but can't stand the "let's cosplay the dumbest parts of the military" thing.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Game's been far from dead for a while. I've been happy with the progress personally.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Whenwver some SL starts doing the army guy roleplay thing I just leave the squad. Cannot possibly be bothered to listen to that.

Squad's playerbase has been fine, never a problem finding full servers. I wish some of the modded ones had more uptake because there's some really fun stuff there.

Edit: some servers drag their heels kicking nazi losers I find, but there aren't as many of those guys as I expected. It's about average for gaming, and probably above average for military shooters in terms of how good the players typically are.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 5, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Game's been far from dead for a while. I've been happy with the progress personally.

People still play but the whole development of the game has noticeably slowed and gone in a wild direction.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
People being too tacticool is not really something I've seen. With how much influx of players the game has seen in the past few patches I find more often there is even less organization and baseline expectation than ever at all level.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

People still play but the whole development of the game has noticeably slowed and gone in a wild direction.

Wild how?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I thought the flooded map was a cool gimmick. Although the constant slish slosh sound effect drove me insane after a while.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Might not wild but the roadmap is completely out of date and they're not hitting any of their development goals. Things like Picture-in-Picture Optics, Smoke Effects, New Games Modes, etc. have all been dropped or they're completely quiet about it.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Might not wild but the roadmap is completely out of date and they're not hitting any of their development goals. Things like Picture-in-Picture Optics, Smoke Effects, New Games Modes, etc. have all been dropped or they're completely quiet about it.

I understand, that’s disappointing

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Some SLs are so obsessed with building. There can be 50 tickets left but this dude wants to go back to main to get supplies, so we can build one more FOB that will win us the game.

Other than that, I find this very enjoyable when you get in the right squad.

Been watching band of brothers and that got me eying Hell let loose, anybody feel like it’s an easy recommend if one enjoys Squad?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Miguel Prado posted:

Been watching band of brothers and that got me eying Hell let loose, anybody feel like it’s an easy recommend if one enjoys Squad?

If you're interested in Hell Let Loose it's one of the Humble Bundle Monthly/Choice games this coming month so you can get it for $11.99.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Miguel Prado posted:

It's a bit more casual than Squad but it's still pretty fun. Lots of noobs now too.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The key to enjoying this game is to stay as far away from anyone with a clan tag and other squad leaders as you can.

Don't get your hopes up with this game too much: server admins use their secret spectator camera not to catch cheaters but to gently caress with people and stream it to their friends privately in Discord. Then, over time, they learn where everybody likes to go, steal fun ideas they see people do, and leverage that information advantage in their games. Suddenly, they're very good at the video game(!) and if you call them out they just say it's because they're so experienced and it's not cheating bro don't you know our clan plays this game at the highest level and where's your proof etc etc

Anyway: just treat the game like a 9-person Discord voice channel with random people and some pew pew background noises, and you'll have a great time. There are too many cheaters who disable foliage and gun sway to be able to take the game seriously.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/JoinSquad/status/1595485102317764608?s=20&t=ma37QEBV54Z65-2H47Crng

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Wow they actually did the PLA and didn't do the pretend Panasia thing. China sales must not be worth worrying about.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

In the past, they've stated or at least alluded to that they won't be adding Israeli into the game. That kind of sucks as they have incredibly unique military hardware but I absolutely see why they're not going to be in the game.

I'm still annoyed there aren't any updates to infantry combat especially PiP EFT Optics.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Oh I like this, the type 95 and variants are rad looking guns and I loved playing with them in Project Reality. But I can also agree that pip optics would be a more exciting addition.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Tencent is one of their shareholder, they probably had some help navigating the regulations.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 24, 2022

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I mean, I don't get why a country wouldn't want their armed forces portrayed in a game like this. There is no narrative so nobody is the bad guys, and the kids get to do nationalistic army man roleplay.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Tencent is one of their shareholder
Source? hosed up and will switch to Hell Let Loose if true

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/tencent-acquires-minority-stake-in-canadian-studio-offworld-industries

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The only game I've heard of having to switch out a China faction was Homefront tbf, and A) they did it themselves and B) they replaced China with North Korea which is such an insanely funny concept. I dunno if those rules are real or if real all that rigidly enforced.

Anyway China in the game owns, especially I imagine for the already pretty sizeable Chinese playerbase. Glad to finally have a new Red Team. I imagine France can't be that far behind? It was already pretty good looking before the modders sold it.

Edit: oh I'm wrong, Framce isn't official. Could've sworn they were

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 25, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wish the developers from HLL would make a modern combat version. That'd be one good game.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

:frog: welp I'm out of this shithole

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:frog: welp I'm out of this shithole

drat dude can't wait to hear your other takes on the chinese

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I wish the developers from HLL would make a modern combat version. That'd be one good game.

:fap:

HLL is such a sweet spot.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Boycotting certain video games but nothing else in your life because of Chinese investment is extremely lol

Excited for this update though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Chinese DLC is cool. Israel would be cool, too.