Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Trip report: this alternative game is cool and good (here's a random streamer playing it) and scratches the same itch.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1658849683?t=317s

It's like Day of Defeat meets BF1942 but with an indie dev and AI bots.

Its advantage over Hell Let Loose is that you can walk through water without drowning, you don't get artillery'd every time you spawn, and you don't have to deal with all the N-word users every few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

Trip report: this alternative game is cool and good (here's a random streamer playing it) and scratches the same itch.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1658849683?t=317s

It's like Day of Defeat meets BF1942 but with an indie dev and AI bots.

Its advantage over Hell Let Loose is that you can walk through water without drowning, you don't get artillery'd every time you spawn, and you don't have to deal with all the N-word users every few minutes.

Looks like you also don't need a PC with a discrete graphics.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Love Stole The Day posts in milsim-lite threads remain extremely funny and ironic.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Starship Troopers mod is pretty fun, if kinda repetitive. Definitely excited to see if Offworld's official thing is good, though I'd definitely like more than twelve players.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The PLA update is out. They have some unique stuff like laser rangefinder on their HAT. Their helicopter can seat 25 people, etc.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i stan the Communist Clown Car army

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/zh0oey/increase_performance_30100_permanently/

Looks like the new year will be a good time to get back into Squad.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Played a match of China Vs Canada this afternoon, only took 3 minutes to hear my first very bad Asian accent by a player and it quickly spiraled out of control. Their kits are fun though, or at least look cool as all I did was ride in a helicopter and a BMP and then revive dudes while getting shot at from unknown sources in the woods.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol yeah I joined near the end of a China match yesterday and while my squad was being cool during the fighting the second the round ended the entire team decided to try and compete for the vaunted 'Most Racist Accent' trophy

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I really hope this fixes the weird boot trails I constantly get. Playing this maxed out with 1.25 scaling at 3440x1440 runs at 100 fps but the ghosting and trails are really immersion breaking.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
https://joinsquad.com/2023/01/18/squad-4-2-emotes-and-future-monetization-in-squad/

Looks like some future content will be monetized. You will soon be able to buy emotes and I guess player customization stuff will be coming soon, too.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Enjoy that they brought up that Offworld used to say they'd never do paid DLC only to immediately move past it. Also this

quote:

Will you start charging for maps or factions in the future?

Our approach to the future of Squad is to keep it as inclusive as we possibly can. Creating maps and factions takes a lot of time and effort and we wish for our entire community to be able to enjoy the fruits of our hard work.

Seems vague to me because they didn't actually say 'No.' outright but I may too uncharitable. Either way, seems lame but whatever.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Thanks for the warning a couple months ago, easy red 2 is still fun in an indie bf1942 way.

Saw the latest news post in the Steam library feed just now and rofl get monetized by the same people who own league of legends and valorant.

Favorite part of the post was when they acknowledged their "previous leadership" explicitly said this would never happen.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The new engine update is out, along with the emote and new US army art assets. Supposedly the performance improvement is significant.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Personally, I just cough up :20bux: if they just started released content faster. I'm surprised it took so long to add China and it's honestly not much new stuff aside from a few vehicles and weapons.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Update the loving insurgency mode you shitters!!! I’ll pay for it

It was the best mode in PR and they haven’t done jack poo poo with it and I’m very bitter about that!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Tons of people crying about cosmetic DLC on reddit and in game who don't seem to grasp that Dev's cant work on a game forever for free...

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Arven posted:

Tons of people crying about cosmetic DLC on reddit and in game who don't seem to grasp that Dev's cant work on a game forever for free...

For real. With how small the player base actually is for this game (less than 10k per day) they should be thrilled it still gets any attention at all.

hello internet fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 9, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I have no idea what their finances look like but their whole original plan has gone out the window completely and there's barely any new engagement with the community.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Update is pretty much still coming out on bi-monthly with intermittent fixes in between. They don't really engage with the community outside of blog posts (or maybe they are only active on their own discord, like a lot of small companies are now). Looks like a French faction is coming out next.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I thought they fixed the ghosting trails from boots but I seem to have them again.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/JoinSquad/status/1633558478265651201?s=20

Game isn't dead!

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Rework sounds pretty cool. There's going to be Buildable ZiS-3, new classes with AT grenade and rifle grenade, personal camo net (not sure how that'd work..? just a little camo tent to lie in?), buildable camo position of various size (the largest one is able to hide whole vehicle and HAB) and vehicle hull down position. And of course BM-21 MLRS.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's a cool update but it still feels a little light to me? If you are going to have a strong infantry faction that is eastern european give them something like a VSS Vintorez which is occasionally used by regular troops and other uncommon-but-not-rare local weapons.

Something like a buildable AT-Rifle with Emplacement, Pickup Truck with a Mortar, etc. would also also help. The rest of the soldiers still have just G3s, FALs, AKs using pixelated 1980s optics.

That said, happy to see we are still getting content.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 6, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Would anyone be opposed to a Goon run Squad server given how full everything is these days? I could put in reserved slots, looks like 100-players goes for $80/mo. and personally I would modify the map rotation significantly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean I wouldn't rush to Jeff and stop you, but I'd probably stick to UK servers for the single digit pings.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Is there a goon discord for people who still actively play?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I play on Blood Bound or Rusty in Places (UK servers)

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
A weird update that took away mine and scope on HMG from Canadian and Australian faction....and apparently vehicle can switch between coaxial MG and main gun instantly now, even though the reloading sound still plays, kind of a big change to not bother putting into the change log.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

aqu posted:

Is there a goon discord for people who still actively play?

There’s a discord from a while ago but it doesn’t look like anyone uses it still

https://discord.gg/agqqYdbK

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The view animation bugs where if you’re sitting in a vic your character suddenly starts looking around or doing HMG reload animations is extremely annoying

Yesterday my character started doing the reload animation as we were landing and then I got whacked by the rotor

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
For discord we could prob make use of the Air Goons group cause they have sub channels for milsims other than DCS like ArmA etc. https://discord.gg/airgoons

Just watched a MoiDawg video and apparently devs announced a surprise massive infantry combat overhaul and I gotta say I'm stoked for all of it. Squad's really arcadey aspects had me sadly reaching for having to resort to ArmA clunkiness for my milsim hit, but this update might change that.

Basically they're trying to rebalance the game for longer firefights and encourage use of suppression and team work a lot more. Suppression will blur a lot more and effect ADS site alignment speed and the like.

Scopes are getting a full 3D overhaul and it's ADS will be slower and not instant for lining up. I've never found it useful to run with holographic sites but now they'll have advantages in CQB.

Point shooting too is going to be a thing, and more realistic 'cone' spread recoil along with discouraging 360 no scope one tapping firefights.

Running / movement will be slower to encourage less run shoot die respawn loop.

Anyways I'm really keen on this whole thing and seeing how it materializes.

Only thing I still wish for is an engineer class that can build everything a squad lead can. It doesn't make sense to me to make FOB building to only be the SLs job because I love doing logi and building up defenses but can't really unless I lead a separate squad for it.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
There is a Playtest version of Squad through Monday at 12PM Eastern US Time that incorporates new changes to the Infantry experience. It makes firefights and gunplay way more realistic and satisfying.

https://joinsquad.com/2023/06/08/infantry-combat-overhaul/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEUU79Rr5BQ&t=435s

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Finally,

The new changes while need some polish are an outstanding steep in the right direction. Happy to hear the dev team is taking lessons from EFT and HHL. Can't wait until this is fully fleshed out in the main release.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Update 5.0 coming out tomorrow.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/squad/announcements/detail/6053448397304423354
Adding not one, but two new factions, PLAMC and surprisingly Russian VDV, which actually has a lot of new stuff, unlike PLAMC which is mostly reskinned. Also for the first time there's going to be suppressed weapon.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 21, 2023

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
The play test of the new Infantry Overhaul was amazing. I can't wait for it to be part of the new update. Next update will not include it, but I expect there to be more weekends of play tests in-between.

Anyone else get a chance to play test it this past weekend?

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Nope, I just installed and got a little demoralised at seeing how bad it runs on my supposedly beefy desktop, but the consensus is that the update rocks and I love what I'm seeing from streamers and videos.

There is some whining about the changes on Reddit from a minority, saying "of course Reddit likes the changes, because you're all sweaty nerds but the vast majority of people that don't come to the subreddit don't care about making it more milsim" which is utter nonsense to me.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
So I just looked up some videos of the playtest and holy crap I gotta play this once it gets pushed to main

Any news on when?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

So I just looked up some videos of the playtest and holy crap I gotta play this once it gets pushed to main

Any news on when?

Today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Lifroc posted:

Nope, I just installed and got a little demoralised at seeing how bad it runs on my supposedly beefy desktop, but the consensus is that the update rocks and I love what I'm seeing from streamers and videos.

There is some whining about the changes on Reddit from a minority, saying "of course Reddit likes the changes, because you're all sweaty nerds but the vast majority of people that don't come to the subreddit don't care about making it more milsim" which is utter nonsense to me.

Every major squad update without fail is unplayable for me and I have to wait for the followup patch for it no to stutter like crazy. This is apparently a common issue if you have a AMD processor.