Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
I bought the Ranger pack together with my brother for two Pre-Alpha (and everything that follows) access keys.

The game's great - as an old PR, OFP>Arma 3 and RO 1+2 player, I can definitely vouch for it.
It's in a perfect sweet spot between all of them, but still has a unique feel to it. It's still definitely the most related to PR (for obvious reasons!).
The Pre-Alpha is very bare bones, but the gameplay is great. I'm currently on a PC that can't run it (no dedicated graphics), so won't be able to play again until November, but very much looking forward to see what has been implemented at that point. Personally, I'm hoping for more maps, vehicles and finally ramping up to support for 100 players.

The game's pretty much guaranteed to be one of my most played games of next year, I'd say. The gunplay is excellent, a great middleway between RO2 and Arma 3. Sound design is excellent, and there's already a lot of base building implemented.

Definitely keep an eye out for early access - you haven't missed that much if you missed out on the Pre-Alpha, though, so sit tight!

gimpfarfar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Is there an approximate adjusted timeframe to have vehicles in, or is that too finicky of a question to answer at the moment?

In either case, looking forward to the 15th :)

Hopefully by the next update (that's my wish) but no official word yet, I think. Last I heard, they are drivable in the developers build but the implementation is still rudimentary. Won't be there on the 15th though, pretty sure of that.

Either way though, been playing the new version on Steam and it's really coming together. Performance seems to be great (unless you're running an AMD, in that case you're screwed) and it's a lot of fun. The overhaul of the forest maps is great, I've avoided them for the past few updates, but now they're a lot of fun.
Militia has replaced the insurgent faction on all AAS maps, which is a bit of a shame but in line with how it works in PR.
Overall, it's really great. Don't really see myself going back to RO2 or Arma 3 anytime soon, this is my tactical shooter of choice from now on!

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Knightsoul posted:

Crap...... do you think AMD users will be fine with future patches?

There's been a lot of feedback and complaints from AMD CPU users (AMD GPU's are fine it seems?) on the forums, so I can't imagine it's not being worked on, especially if it's an Unreal 4-related issue. Even I started getting the micro-stutters and 1-2 second freezes yesterday (the main symptom for AMD users) with an i7 and a gtx965m. Restarting the game fixed it for me, though.

Servers seem to be ramping up the population as well, most servers go up to 70 slots now. Hopefully we'll get some vehicles on the 15th! A lot of hiking at the moment, especially on the bigger servers/maps.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

GyverMac posted:

Is there any plans to make large modern city maps like in Project Reality?

Yeap, as part of the kickstarter campaign one of the stretch goals was to remake two maps from Project Reality (one was a bonus, Fool's Road, which is in the current Steam build) - the other is Fallujah West, after a community vote :)

Another patch released on Steam today, from what I hear it's the release candidate for Early Access, barring any major surprizes. No vehicles, but one new map (Chora, which is really cool) and a bunch of fixes. Focus seem to be on server stability, which is a good thing

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Do the insurgent teams sperg out and consider vehicles to be their personal fiefdom the way they tend to be in PR? I always liked that you could just grab a truck if you needed it on the insurgent side without trying to contact the truck/apc squad and begging someone to help.

Vehicles aren't in yet so I wouldn't know :) Most if not all backers playing seem like pretty chill people so far.