Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A boy named Monkey D. Luffy, inspired by his childhood hero "Red-Haired" Shanks, sets out on a journey to find One Piece, the legendary treasure of the King of the Pirates, Gol D. Roger. To accomplish this, he must reach the end of the most deadly and dangerous ocean: The Grand Line.

Luffy captains the Straw Hat Pirates first through the sea of East Blue and then through the Grand Line. He follows the path of the deceased King of the Pirates, Gold Roger, from island to island on his way to the great treasure One Piece. On his way, his crew grows to have a swordsman, "Pirate Hunter" Zoro; a navigator, "Cat Burglar" Nami; a sharpshooter, "Sogeking" Usopp; a cook, "Black Leg" Sanji; a doctor, "Cotton Candy Lover" Tony Tony Chopper; an archaeologist, "Demon Child" Nico Robin; a shipwright, "Cyborg" Franky; and a musician, "Just Dead Bones" Brook.

During the course of the story, the crew contends with other pirate crews, the royal Seven Warlords of the Sea (Ouka Shichibukai) and the Marines. The latter are the subordinates of the corrupt World Government, who apparently seek justice by ending the Golden Age of Pirates. Many background story elements involve the delicate balance of power between the World Government and the world's most powerful pirate crews, especially the Four Emperors, the four most powerful pirates in the world.

Companion Threads
-One Piece Manga Discussion 1
-One Piece Manga Discussion 2
-One Piece Manga Discussion 3
-One Piece Manga Discussion 4
-One Piece Manga Discussion 5
-One Piece Manga Discussion 6
-One Piece Manga Discussion 7
-One Piece Manga Discussion 8
-One Piece Manga Discussion 9
-One Piece Manga Discussion 9
-One Piece Manga Discussion 10
-One Piece Manga Discussion 11
-One Piece Manga Discussion 12

Useful links
-A Newbie's Guide to One Piece
-Arlong Park Forum
-One Piece Wikia
-One Piece on Wikipedia
-The Grand Line

Where to download
-MangaStream
-MangaPanda
-MangaShare
-MangaFox
-MangaHelpers

Cover story chapters
-Buggy's Crew: After the Battle!: Chapters 35-75
-Coby and Helmeppo's Chronicle of Toil: Chapter 83-119
-Jango's Dance Paradise: Chapters 126-172
-Hatchan's Sea-Floor Stroll: Chapters 182-228
-Wapol's Omnivorous Hurrah: Chapters 236-262
-Ace's Great Blackbeard Search: Chapters 272-305
-Gedatsu's Accidental Blue-Sea Life: Chapters 314-348
-Miss Goldenweek's "Operation: Meet Baroque Works": Chapters 359-413
-Eneru's Great Space Operations: Chapters 424-474
-CP9's Independent Report: Chapters 491-528
-Sanji's "Resisting in Kamabakka Hell": Chapters 543-544
-Robin's "How Terrible You People Are": Chapters 545-546
-Franky's "This Week Is No Good": Chapters 548-549
-Usopp's "I'll-Die-If-I'm-On-My-Own Disease": Chapters 550-551
-Chopper's "I'm Not Food You Assholes": Chapters 552, 554
-Nami's "Weather Report": Chapters 555-556
-Brook's "Lodgings and Panties Repayment": Chapters 557-558
-Zoro's "Where the Hell Are They? What a Pain in the rear end": Chapters 559-560
-From the Decks of the World: Chapters 613-668
-Caribou's Kehihihihi in the New World: Chapters 674-679
-Solo Journey of Jinbe, Knight of the Sea Covers: Chapters 751-785

SBS OPEN!!!
======================================================================================

D: Why doesn't Luffy ever kill his enemies? If you look back, he didn't kill Mohji, he didn't kill Helmepp or Captain Morgan, or anyone. Well, Zoro was the one who beat Morgan, but still. Why?

O: Ahh, good question. First of all, Morgan is still alive. His former subordinates put him in prison. So why didn't he kill him? In this era, people put their lives on their beliefs and convictions, and fight. Luffy goes into battle and destroys others' beliefs. When these enemies' beliefs are shattered, and they lose, they feel a pain as great as dying. I think that for these pirates, killing or not killing is secondary to winning or losing.

======================================================================================

D: When you say the "21 Oo-Wazamono", what do you mean by "Wazamono" and "21"? And then for the "Yukibashiri", you said "unravelled edge with a small T". What the heck does that mean?! Huh???? I have no idea.

O: Ahh, well. Even if you don't understand it, it's good enough if the sound of it leaves a great impression in your mind. I'll give a little explanation about katanas here.

<- This is "Wadou-Ichimonji", which Zoro carries as a memento of Kuina. For this katana, the "level" is "Oo-Wazamono", the "make" is "White-Painted Scabbard Long Sword" (This is a type of outward appearance for swords. It means the blade is painted white.), and the "blade" is a "straight edge".

@ For swords, the levels go Saijou-Oo-Wazamono, Oo-Wazamono, Ryou-Wazamono, Wazamono, and then normal swords. Wazamonos are excellent blades. When they say "12 Saijou-Ou-Wazamono", it means there (appears to be) only 12 blades in the world that are stronger. That's what that means.

@ When discussing blades, there are two types of edges, "straight edge" and "unravelled edge". These are types of patterns you can make on the blades when you create them. But since there are many patterns for an "unravelled edge", they turn into an "unravelled edge with a ".

D: Where do you learn fishman karate? Please tell me.

O: At "Fishman Island". It's about halfway down the Grand Line. It'll probably come around sometime, so just take it easy.

D: Hellllo! Aaah, my nose won't stop running. Aaah, it finally stopped. Oda-san, I've been wondering about something. On Blue-Nose Chopper's hat, there is an X on the front. What is that? Aaaah, it's running again.

O: Okay. Let's see. About your running nose... no. About the X on Chopper's hat. You know what it is. It's the cross you see on hospitals. It's just tilted diagonally. Oh, and I don't think many people noticed this, but Hiruluk's head was the same shape. A hospital cross.

D: Are the "Phone Snail" series animals, or machines?

O: They're animals. Insects.

Baby Phone Snail: Its small size makes it portable. However, its signals are weak, and cannot reach over the sea to another island.

Phone Snail: Too big to carry around, but its strength makes it useful for talking to far-off islands. Can also act as a fax machine if the accessory is attached.

Black Phone Snail(different species): They do not grow as they age. They enjoy eavesdropping, and dislike communicating with others. Used as listening devices, or "wiretaps".

O: Since being raised by humans gets them plenty of food, they don't mind being used and tamed.

D: Question, Odacchi! Ace ate the Mera Mera Fruit so he can...

(1) "Can turn his body into flame"?

(2) "Can shoot flame from his body", which one is it?

O: The answer is (1). But his secret move "Hiken" (Fire Punch) is a skill where he raises his "firepower" and turns his fist into a huge flame, so it ends up looking more like (2).

D: In the Cover Page Stories, there are "Camie the Mermaid" and "Octopako the Fishwoman". How are the races of mermaids and fish(wo)men related?

O: As you can see here, the ones with the bottom half of a fish are "mermaids". The ones with fish-like upper halves are "fishmen". To illustrate the difference with an octopus, look to the right. The difference in their natures is that mermaids try to be friends with other fish, while the fishmen try to rule the fish. That's about right. Of course, their habitats are different too. Well, you'll be able to see if they ever appear in the story again.

D: It takes while for time to pass in manga, doesn't it? Since it's a weekly thing. So, should we wait like 2 more years for Luffy's birthday?

O: No, no, no. He has a birthday every year, just like everyone else. It's just that, in Luffy's case, every year is his 17th birthday. Doesn't that make you jealous?

D: Hello, Oda-sensei!! Please give us Captain Smoker and Madam Hina's profiles. They're both captains, does that mean their ages are the same? I suppose rank and age don't necessarily have to be the same.

D: Guten tag! Tell me, Oda-sensei. What are Smoker and Hina's ages? By the way, I suppose Smoker's birthday would be March 14th (White Day), and Hina's would be March 3rd (Hinamatsuri). Chuusu

O: Well. I've decided to print both letters together. Yeah, I like those birthdays. We'll go with those. As for ages, Smoker is 34, and Hina is 32. They both joined the Marines at the same time, but of course Hina is a stellar student, while Smoker is a problem child who doesn't listen to his superiors' orders. They may not like their relationship, but they have known each other for quite a while. It seems Hina has saved Smoker from being kicked out of the Marines on several different occasions. However, they both have Devil Fruit Powers, and are therefore invaluable officers for the Marines. That is how they acquired Captain rank at such young ages.

D: Hello. I am a huge Nami fan. So I have a question! About that bracelet that Nami wears even in the bath scene (Vol. 23)!! It seems to be very precious to her, so I looked back through all my books and saw that Nami got when she was leaving Kokoyashi Village. And to my surprise, it was Nojiko who wore it before then!! Did Nojiko give that to Nami when she left?! Surely there must be some tearful sisterly love between them... (sob sob)? So, tell us the truth!! by Bon-chan

O: Yes. That's the bracelet. On the morning of their farewell (Vol. 11), it was gone from Nojiko's wrist. On her shoulder are the marks of their makeshift parents, Bellemere's oranges and Gen's pinwheel. And on her left wrist is the bracelet her sister wore. Even though they are unrelated by blood, Nami is with her family even across the great blue deep.

D: Hello, Oda-sensei. I have a question about the Skypiean priests. Gedatsu = Deliverance/Salvation, Shura = Fighting, Satori = Enlightenment, and Yama = (some Buddhist Deity? I don't know this one). You took all their names from religious Japanese terms, didn't you? Therefore, could you tell me what the name "Ohm" comes from? Please, thank you very much!

O: That's right. I'm not really good with religion, so they were kind of cheap names. "Om" is a holy word in the Hindu religion that is written like this on the left. I apologize to all religious believers everywhere.

D: What do Zoro's new special attacks "_ Pound Cannon" mean? Penname Mikan

O: "12 lb cannons" and "24 lb cannons," for instance, are ways of naming or categorizing cannons. The number refers to the weight of the cannonballs. Even a 12 lb cannon will weigh over a ton by itself. 1 lb = ~0.45 kg. Just don't get them mixed up with "Fond de veau." That has to do with French food.

D: Oda-sensei, I was curious; Is Foxy the Silver Fox's Noro Noro power a Logia type, Paramecia type, or Zoan type? I'll be too anxious for your reply to use the bathroom, so hurry it up.

O: It's a Paramecia (superhuman) type. Logia (nature) type can turn their bodies into something completely different. Zoan (animal) type can turn into animals. Everything aside from those is lumped into the Paramecia (superhuman) category. However, there are some Paramecia who can change their own bodies, as well.

D: Odacchi! Here's a question for you! Crocodile can't fight water because he's "sand," right? Then how does he bathe?! Does he at all?! That's filthy!! Do you bathe, Odacchi? by Crocodile's Mother ❤

O: First of all, let's discuss the problem of Devil Powered folks bathing themselves. People who eat Devil Fruit are "hated" by the sea, and cannot swim. The "sea" here can refer to anything from rivers, pools and baths to any kind of standing water. On a worldwide level, they are all the "sea." When these people enter the water, not only can they not use their powers, they have trouble moving their bodies at all. They might be able to struggle a bit, but it wouldn't do much good. That's if their entire bodies are submerged in the "sea." With less than half the body or just the limbs, it gets easier. Also, rain and dripping water have no effect at all. Therefore, hip baths or showers are the most common choice. Now, in Crocodile's case, "water" is the weakness of his very powers, so his abilities are robbed even in the shower. But it's not like there are enemies around when you take a shower, so I'd bet he would take them even with his powers being blocked. Don't you think? ---And to answer your final question, about myself bathing. As it happens, I do bathe. Twice! In a year! See you next volume!

D: Which is faster, between Captain Kuro's "Shakushi" and CP9's "Soru"? TELL ME. by Niku-oh

O: Ah yes. I got a surprising number of questions about this one. Captain Kuro's Shakushi (in Vol. 5) was a pretty tough one. To answer the question, speedwise they are about the same. But when Captain Kuro uses his trick, the speed is so great that he doesn't even know who he's attacking, but CP9 has complete control of their move at the same speed. So if there were a competition, CP9 would be overwhelmingly stronger.

D: Do the names of Sodom and Gomorrah come from the cities that appear in the Old Testament of the bible? In the bible they were destroyed by God. Are they being integrated into the story by being destroyed by the great "Godly" power of the World Government? by Yoiko

O: Uh... One Piece isn't that deep of a story. But it IS where I got the names from.

D: Blows shouldn't hurt Luffy, so why does he get bruises and swelling when Nami and the others beat the crap out of him?! Tell me!!! P.N. Zororin Love

O: When the crew beats up on each other, it's always in admonishment with a strong sense of purpose, which is why it works so well!! It works on his HEART!! I bet Nami is thinking, "It's MY heart that hurts deep down!!" ...right? I guess not.

D: Odacchi, nice to meet you!! I finally sent you a postcard. It's a serious question, so give me a real answer. That trick that Sanji used to beat Jabura!! If it was that hot to Jabura, wouldn't it burn Sanji, too?!! Wouldn't Sanji be like, "yeow"?? Tell me! P.N. Oda Gayichiro

O: What are you talking about... WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!! Are those eyes, or holes in your head?!! What were you watching in that fight?!! His LEG is hot?! No, it's not hot!! SANJI'S HEART WAS BURNING SO MUCH HOTTER!!!

D: Hey, Odacchi! I got a question! About Devil Fruit!! If Kaku and Califa said they wouldn't know what their Devil Fruit were until they ate it, how come Shanks knew what Luffy's Gomu Gomu Fruit was before he ate it?? Tell me! Tell me now!! Pleeeease tell me!!! P.N. Shirogitsunekko

O: Well, I think I'll eventually get to explaining more about the Devil Fruit in the main story, but you see, there's a book of the Devil Fruit. It has info about all kinds of fruit names and abilities, but few of the fruit can actually be identified by their shape. In the case of the Gomu Gomu Fruit, there was a picture and everything, but for Kaku and Califa, they were talking about how they wouldn't know until they had finally eaten the fruit.

D: Wait a second!! Oda-sensei!! You know that scene in Volume 45, where Robin squeezes Franky in a very important place? CAN SHE FEEL WHAT SHE'S SQUEEZING? You simply MUST tell me!!

O: Yes, she can. All the arms and legs she sprouts are part of her body. She feels the things she touches, and when she's hurt, that damage is done to her own body. So you see... She really DID grab his balls!! Girls, NEVER DO THIS. They're very tender!!

D: Question for you!! Is the swordsman "Ryuma" who was once said to have defeated a dragon the very same Ryuma that starred in the short story "Monsters" from your collection volume entitled "Wanted!"? He is, isn't he? I'm so desperate to know, I can't brush my teeth. If I get a cavity, I'll tell the dentist it was your fault. P.N. Satoru-pyon

D: Greetings!! I cracked open "Wanted!" for the first time in ages and re-read "Romance Dawn," which prompted me to notice that Luffy's grandpa in that story was basically the same guy as Vice Admiral Garp! Does that mean that Garp was once the captain of a crew of pirates? P.N. Nao

O: Well, here are two questions about my old short story collection, "Wanted!" I'll tackle Ryuma's first. The zombie Ryuma appears in Chapter 450 from this volume, and he is indeed the Ryuma who starred in "Monsters." In the world of One Piece, he's now a legendary swordsman who died of sickness. I wouldn't have minded if this had just slipped through the cracks, but I was happy to see that so many people noticed. Next, Garp. He appeared as Luffy's grandpa, and a pirate no less, in the one-shot that served as the basis for One Piece. He might look the same, but I want you to see these as different stories. Grandpa Garp from THIS One Piece is a true blue Marine, from birth till death!!

D: Mr. 4's gun "Lassoo" had the "Inu Inu Fruit, Model Dachshund." CP9's Jabura had the "Inu Inu Fruit, Model Wolf." So the Devil Fruits don't have the same type twice, but they CAN have different models? P.N. Hito Hito Fruit, Model Beautiful Girl;

O: In the case of Zoan-types, a different "model" is basically a different fruit. Just like those Inu Inu Fruit examples, there's also the Ushi Ushi Fruit Model Bison (Dalton) and Model Giraffe (Kaku). Just think of them as entirely different fruits.

D: Excuse me!! May I pose a serious question to the typically-vulgar SBS?? In Volume 46, Usopp said that the same power doesn't exist twice. But this doesn't make sense with what you said in the Volume 45 SBS... If the Gomu Gomu Fruit was in a book of fruits, then Luffy HAD to have eaten at least the SECOND known example of the fruit! Now, most beautiful and intelligent Ei-chan, explain it all! ; P.N. Takafi

O: Very sharp of you. But I'm cool. I haven't made any mistakes. As a hint, let me rephrase what Usopp is saying. "The same powers don't exist twice AT THE SAME TIME." How's that? For more detail, you'll just have to wait for a certain professor to make his appearance in the story, and explain exactly what the Devil Fruits REALLY are... Eventually.

SBS CLOSE!!!

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Farewell Dressrosa.

If someone has an Imgur link to "One Class," please post it

Millions fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 20, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you're welcome everyone

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Great op but his name is Sniper King.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Any hints on what the next Arc is going to entail?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's really just becoming a force of habit now

Thread 12 Biggest Losers

code:
anime was right 	304  (+10)
Gyges 			296  (-1)
Waffleman_	 	220  (new)
Advice 			211  (--)
Prison Warden 		165  (+5)
tbp 			153  (new)
Cat Machine 		146  (new)
Bisse 			128  (new )
Jose 			127  (new)
Captain Invictus 	126  (new)
Parrotine 		124  (-3)
KoB 			119  (new)
Lot of new blood (or name changes I couldn't remember) this year, lots of good hustle. Some of the older players losing a bit of steam in their old age. But anime was right is really showing his stuff this season. That all caramel machiato diet is really paying off. Not often you see such incredible volume of posting.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Thank god Dressrosa is over, only one good thing came out of that arc.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i used to be lou begas mustache fyi but i guess with the +10 that was realizec

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I stalled out reading One Piece back in 2010, I think. Got about as far as the Foxy fight. Anyway, since it's been awhile, I'm gonna be rereading the series (rather than just picking up where I left off), and hope it's alright to share my second impressions in here (even though I'm way behind).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yes thats always fun, go for it man

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I liked Dressrosa, I hope the next arc is a little shorter. One Piece is cool. That's all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TriffTshngo posted:

I liked Dressrosa, I hope the next arc is a little shorter. One Piece is cool. That's all.

Yea Dressrosa was pretty solid but just way too long. Hopefully the next one will be a nice shortish story.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Senior Pink fight was the best fight in the entire series so all is forgiven.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Next arc is probably gonna be Wano Country so that should be pretty cool cos I hope that means it's time for Zoro to show his timeskip training stuff. In fact I speculate that each next major arc will probably be a chance for each of the remaining Straw-Hats to show off their training. Like Wano for Zoro, Giant Island for Ussop, etc etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

I stalled out reading One Piece back in 2010, I think. Got about as far as the Foxy fight. Anyway, since it's been awhile, I'm gonna be rereading the series (rather than just picking up where I left off), and hope it's alright to share my second impressions in here (even though I'm way behind).
Thing about One Piece, it's the sort of series when you catch up, you'll wish there was more. Definitely interested in seeing reactions to stuff past the Foxy fight, since you quite literally right before the best arc in the entire series, Water Seven, which is only rivaled by the Sabaody -> War of the Best arc.

That being said, I highly suggest posting your reactions without reading the thread proper until you've caught up, as people routinely post stuff that would be massive spoilers to you untagged, and trust me, some of them are better off as a surprise rather than knowing they're coming.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Thank god Dressrosa is over, only one good thing came out of that arc.

I mean you can boil it down to a partially-right snipe if you want, even if you're mostly wrong

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
congrats on the new thread everybody i look forward to your posting

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

alkanphel posted:

Next arc is probably gonna be Wano Country so that should be pretty cool cos I hope that means it's time for Zoro to show his timeskip training stuff. In fact I speculate that each next major arc will probably be a chance for each of the remaining Straw-Hats to show off their training. Like Wano for Zoro, Giant Island for Ussop, etc etc.
They better be very short arcs if it's going to go through the whole crew like that. Though a handful of mini arcs wouldn't be terrible.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
I can't wait for the return of Brook and maybe those other guys

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Senor Pink for next cover arc please.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

It's really just becoming a force of habit now

Thread 12 Biggest Losers

code:
anime was right 	304  (+10)
Gyges 			296  (-1)
Waffleman_	 	220  (new)
Advice 			211  (--)
Prison Warden 		165  (+5)
tbp 			153  (new)
Cat Machine 		146  (new)
Bisse 			128  (new )
Jose 			127  (new)
Captain Invictus 	126  (new)
Parrotine 		124  (-3)
KoB 			119  (new)
Lot of new blood (or name changes I couldn't remember) this year, lots of good hustle. Some of the older players losing a bit of steam in their old age. But anime was right is really showing his stuff this season. That all caramel machiato diet is really paying off. Not often you see such incredible volume of posting.

Why am I on this list? What does -3 mean? These things, I do not understand :confused:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Parrotine posted:

Why am I on this list? What does -3 mean? These things, I do not understand :confused:

If I had to guess, it's the number of posts a person made in the old thread and how it compares to the number in the thread before that one.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Millions posted:

One Class

I don't think I have a link, but I know I have it downloaded somewhere on my system. I'll check!

e1: I found links for the first 6 pages, but screw my nexus tablet. :colbert:

e2:
http://i.imgur.com/FbYLD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fTm4Ol.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ToyMo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oG5mT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wLJo4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iycmz.jpg

This might be all I have. I'll check tomorrow.

e3:
vvv or use that link, I guess. vvv

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 20, 2015

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Millions posted:

Farewell Dressrosa.

If someone has an Imgur link to "One Class," please post it

lol and here you go:
http://imgur.com/a/aTrl3#MKv3BSP

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. It really is a manga you get a better appreciation for reading a second time tho, I've never reread it and there's just so much little poo poo I'd obviously never put together the first run through. Blew my mind seeing that mermaid and her starfish buddy introduced so early on in the Hachi cover stories, for example...with stuff like that I usually wonder how much of it is forethought and how much of it is just "Oh I need a mermaid, might as well just use this one I had on my old covers to make it seem more meaningful" but being that it's Oda and not Kubo generally I give him the benefit of the doubt.
It's also pretty cool because I only started One Piece ages ago when I was a kid, so there's a lot of poo poo I never really noticed, like Luffy's continual "Oh, so it's a magic _______" lines :lol:

Although even now it's kind of frustrating because given how many characters there are there's a lot of references I'd only get by seeing the dumb comment sections of chapters going "Oh hey, it's that one guy being subtly introduced, we'll see him for real a 100 chapters later!". I'm kind of uneasy given all the complaints I've heard people make about how overcrowded with new/random characters the Dressrosa arc is, considering how hard it was to keep track of people already to begin with and how much I've been looking forward to finally seeing Doffy's big time in the spotlight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, don't worry, doflamingo gets his time in the spotlight. He just doesn't know when to get off the stage, is all.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I liked Dressrosa :3: Can't wait for the next arc.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean you can boil it down to a partially-right snipe if you want, even if you're mostly wrong

I just wanted to post that image really, Dressrosa had issues but it wasn't the worst arc, it was just too long and drawn out, and was based around saving characters I didn't care for (Rebecca, King Riku, the Dwarves). I'm super excited for the next arc, my guess is a brief story about reuniting with the other Strawhats before Big Mom, its still too soon for Wano and Kaido.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I just wanted to post that image really, Dressrosa had issues but it wasn't the worst arc, it was just too long and drawn out, and was based around saving characters I didn't care for (Rebecca, King Riku, the Dwarves). I'm super excited for the next arc, my guess is a brief story about reuniting with the other Strawhats before Big Mom, its still too soon for Wano and Kaido.

Probably that fight about Sanji and the other against the Kaido pirates will serve to get Kaido's attention on the Straw Hats, well if Luffy screwing up Doflamingo and the Smile Factory isn't enough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Punk Hazard and Dressrosa were the first time I cared about One Piece since Sabaody, so I'm very happy it happened even though Dressrosa became longer than it needed to.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I have a gap in my reading between Water 7 and Impel Down - does anyone happen to know offhand which volumes that covers so I can catch up? Now that Dressrosa is done, I have an urge to fill in what I missed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Senor Pink for next cover arc please.
Can Shonen Jump even legally publish something that hardboiled?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ugh, I think I'm at the worst possible point of any One Piece reread, the Davy Back Fight Arc. Just always killed the momentum coming out of Skypiea for me. Gotta slog through this so I can get to CP9. :coolfish:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

ugh, I think I'm at the worst possible point of any One Piece reread, the Davy Back Fight Arc. Just always killed the momentum coming out of Skypiea for me. Gotta slog through this so I can get to CP9. :coolfish:

Sounds like someone doesn't know about the Brother's Soul.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I too once thought the Davy Back Fight was bad. Then I read it again and knew better. The Davy Back Fight is much better on a reread.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The good poo poo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also i'll never get tired of Cabbage eating that loving rose

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope we get another really small arc thats fun and silly. possibly involving the curlyhats, but is only about 10 chapters, just to kind of cool off from the last arc. similar to how we had davyback and duval

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

GodFish posted:

I too once thought the Davy Back Fight was bad. Then I read it again and knew better. The Davy Back Fight is much better on a reread.

I didn't even remember it the first time, I reread the whole series last month and I can't emphasize how bad and jarring it was the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I never understood the dislike for DBF. To me, it was Oda saying, "Hey, even though there are scary sand men trying to brutally take over countries and the sky is filled with cloud people and even scary lightning men bent on Moon domination, this really is a lighthearted comedy romp about wacky sea adventures. To prove it to you, here's the most broken power of all time (haki your way out of this one, assholes) in the hands of a guy who just wants to play pirate games with everyone on the sea."

The only "pacing" it broke was if you wanted One Piece to be super serious all the time. I thought it was meant to be pace breaking, to set it's own pace even. And even in an arc some consider so out of the ordinary they'd rather call it filler, we got the entire crew getting owned by Aokiji and essentially the first major defeat the crew suffered. The Monster Trio got oneshot by an Admiral and stood zero chance. Luffy developed his Gears in response to this. I thought it was an incredible arc.