Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really liked Kuro, because his fight was situated in such a way that Cat out of the Bag looks really loving radical when he starts tearing up the shore side with his claws. He also just did not give a drat after a certain point and just wantonly killed his own men, it was pretty stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Baal posted:

I really liked Kuro, because his fight was situated in such a way that Cat out of the Bag looks really loving radical when he starts tearing up the shore side with his claws. He also just did not give a drat after a certain point and just wantonly killed his own men, it was pretty stellar.

it was a cool fight because it was sort of like an allusion to how fast people could get, and proved that zipping around like a shithead was possible, but he just wasnt good enough to have complete control over it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd also say one of Kuro's strengths is that he poses the first real "Serious" threat in the story. Morgan's physically imposing but not much to write home about, Buggy's a buffoon, and people forget Alvida exists. Then Kuro shows up calm and collected with murder on his mind and everyone on his hit list.

Also, this is a little thing, but I really liked the weird way he pushed up his glasses. Having a character constantly adjusting their glasses is such a well-worn trait in Japanese comics and animation that it's almost invisible, even when you do it the way Kuro does. Even with the reveal it still just seems like an odd quirk of his until he puts on the gloves and then it all clicks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that was the first moment where you could tell oda put more thought into his characters and their motivations than like, any other shounen author

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kuro was such a good fuckin villain and then Arlong happened and it was just kept getting better.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

anime was right posted:

that was the first moment where you could tell oda put more thought into his characters and their motivations than like, any other shounen author
There are others I'd argue put a similar amount of thought into things, but none of them were ever trying to tell the same style of story as Oda.

I get what you're saying though. Amongst his immediate peers it isn't even a contest.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd also say one of Kuro's strengths is that he poses the first real "Serious" threat in the story. Morgan's physically imposing but not much to write home about, Buggy's a buffoon, and people forget Alvida exists. Then Kuro shows up calm and collected with murder on his mind and everyone on his hit list.

Also, this is a little thing, but I really liked the weird way he pushed up his glasses. Having a character constantly adjusting their glasses is such a well-worn trait in Japanese comics and animation that it's almost invisible, even when you do it the way Kuro does. Even with the reveal it still just seems like an odd quirk of his until he puts on the gloves and then it all clicks.

Kuro is arguably the scariest character in the whole series ignoring scale of threat and abilities. Being the only guy without a comedic quirk must have something to do with it.

The balls on Usopp to stand up to him alone must be huge.

anime was right posted:

Yeah the other big 3 just have generic overpowered crazy mans.

Baal posted:

Kuro was such a good fuckin villain and then Arlong happened and it was just kept getting better.

When Luffy breaks his nose

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuro and his fight with Luffy was cool as poo poo. Luffy stopping Kuro by ripping up a huge rock was great.

However, I despise the name "Cat out of the Bag Attack." I mean, "Death Scoop" isn't much better, but the former is just exceedingly lame. Probably worse since it ties it to the 4kids dub too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk, Cat Out of the Bag always felt One Piece enough to me. It's not a particularly threatening name but neither is Black Cat Pirates and that's why Kuro is really great.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Kuro is arguably the scariest character in the whole series ignoring scale of threat and abilities. Being the only guy without a comedic quirk must have something to do with it.

The balls on Usopp to stand up to him alone must be huge.

Yeah the other big 3 just have generic overpowered crazy mans.

When Luffy breaks his nose

God, I love East Blue so much. It is still one of my favorite parts of the series only beaten by like Alabasta and CP9.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope kuro comes back but only as a subordinate under buggy and hes very angry about it and is plotting to steal all of buggys money but is a failure at that too

theres my one piece fanfic for the week

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oda decides to run with a Where Are They Now cover arc for everybody in East Blue and Kuro opens a barber shop.

His first customer is that guy with the afro who got stuck in a treasure chest.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

These are clearly terrible scans, but if it's even close to the kernel of truth of the original then uhhhhhhhhh

And yeah yeah I know Japan pulls this poo poo a lot and is more racially homogeneous and blahblah but I usually read intelligent seinen series that don't have that sorta poo poo. :shrug: I mean, Killer Bee is better than this
Turning into an...interesting reread...

I don't have my manga copy to hand, but basically Ussop is just talking about Afros in reference to some old famous Japanese boxer. There's no racial element at all and that "power of the blacks" thing is just some loving bizarre-rear end fan translation thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Can't believe I completely forgot about Gin saving Sanji's life.

What a guy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I hope the next arc involves Luffy fighting on a loving boat. I miss when water was a threat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Baal posted:

end of the day the new big character they introduce just ends up being kind of flat.

You all there chief?

Cuz she aint.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Veskit posted:

I hope the next arc involves Luffy fighting on a loving boat. I miss when water was a threat.

You mean like during the Fishmen Island arc? Where he was literally surrounded by water.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I never liked all any of the peril with water at the beginning. Luffy's getting his dick stuck under a rock in a pool at Arlong Park reminded me too much of Superman and kryptonite

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You all there chief?

Cuz she aint.

How?

KoB posted:

You mean like during the Fishmen Island arc? Where he was literally surrounded by water.

Oh man, I forgot that the water was more of a threat than the actual villains of Fishman Island.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

I don't have my manga copy to hand, but basically Ussop is just talking about Afros in reference to some old famous Japanese boxer. There's no racial element at all and that "power of the blacks" thing is just some loving bizarre-rear end fan translation thing.

Yeah. It's literally in reference to this dude and has absolutely nothing to do with black people. The scanlator was racist, not Oda.

I Love Annie May posted:

I still can't believe they made you a mod.
Thanks for your drive-by snipe without contributing a single thing you worthless poo poo

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I like Boa's haughtiness and it's a shame she became just another Luffy groupie.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Prison Warden posted:

i don't have the raws but i think they translated "afros" as "blacks"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amorphous Blob posted:

I like Boa's haughtiness and it's a shame she became just another Luffy groupie.

I agree and I really liked her design too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

Bobobo should be in OP.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
that guy wasn't wrong about the whole afro thing though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

I agree and I really liked her design too.

same

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 22, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

KoB posted:

He had bubbles, and wasn't on a boat the water was never a real threat.

He owned Hodi through the loving water itself.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

anime was right posted:

Togashi does similar stuff when he actually sits down and draws stuff. I personally think those two are the best authors Shonen Jump have and I personally find it very interesting how they're basically the opposite of each other in terms of work ethic with one basically working himself into an early grave and the other coming out of hibernation every couple of years to put out a couple of amazing chapters and then making you wait even longer to get more ( you know if Togashis not sick or whatever, I don't even know why the reasons behind the hiatuses are kept so strictly under wraps).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Luffy marching straight up to Arlong who he's never even seen before and decking him in the face without a word of explanation is the most satisfying thing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Asuron posted:

(you know if Togashis not sick or whatever, I don't even know why the reasons behind the hiatuses are kept so strictly under wraps).

I'm still amazed that in this day and age of leaks, no one knows whether Togashi is sick or not, and why he can get away with these ridiculous hiatuses.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's harder to get inside info from the manga industry because it seems more secretive and well-kept in general for whatever reason

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I used to say the fights in One Piece didn't do much for me, but for the life of me I can't think why.

I mean, I always thought Zoro's were kinda lame and that's still true, but otherwise this has been a pretty sweet trip.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Zoro has some pretty cool moments coming up like Whiskey Peak and Mr 1's fight. But yeah his fights generally don't do it for me either. He always has to be handicapped in some way for the fight to even be considered even.

It's kinda why I like Skypiea so much, he gets interesting fights with both the Ohm and Braham. In fact most of the fights in that arc are pretty entertaining. Hell even Eneru vs Luffy which you'd think would be completely predictable in how it plays out is actually pretty interesting because Eneru retains the advantage with Haki and because Luffy can't actually grab the weapon to close in and land the blow.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Thanks for your drive-by snipe without contributing a single thing you worthless poo poo

I aim to please. :tipshat:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Since this is by far the worst OP thread I've read so far, I gotta ask: What's the general thread consensus on D standing for Devil or some in-universe equivalent? Seems p. likely, IMO.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Bad Seafood posted:

I used to say the fights in One Piece didn't do much for me, but for the life of me I can't think why.

I mean, I always thought Zoro's were kinda lame and that's still true, but otherwise this has been a pretty sweet trip.

i got into one piece just a little bit after the naruto timeskip i think, which would be the peak of that series imo. there was actually a point where i thought naurto was really cool and one piece was another thing worth looking into.

though tbf the first shonen jump issue i read had the naruto scene where kakashi shows off copy poo poo for the first time and then chakra training, and then the one piece chapter was the beginning of an arc so of course 12 y/o me thought naruto was cool for big battles or w/e

quakster posted:

Since this is by far the worst OP thread I've read so far, I gotta ask: What's the general thread consensus on D standing for Devil or some in-universe equivalent? Seems p. likely, IMO.

Joyboy's gonna turn out to be the captain of the Devil Pirates or some poo poo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

One thing I do wish is that the payoff for the series big secrets like will of d, void century, joyboy, etc was a bit more paced throughout. I get it's mostly end game stuff but it'd be really cool to definitively learn things in the build up!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

tbp posted:

One thing I do wish is that the payoff for the series big secrets like will of d, void century, joyboy, etc was a bit more paced throughout. I get it's mostly end game stuff but it'd be really cool to definitively learn things in the build up!

Yeah stuff like devil fruit origins should've been known already imo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

Zoro has some pretty cool moments coming up like Whiskey Peak and Mr 1's fight. But yeah his fights generally don't do it for me either. He always has to be handicapped in some way for the fight to even be considered even.

It's kinda why I like Skypiea so much, he gets interesting fights with both the Ohm and Braham. In fact most of the fights in that arc are pretty entertaining. Hell even Eneru vs Luffy which you'd think would be completely predictable in how it plays out is actually pretty interesting because Eneru retains the advantage with Haki and because Luffy can't actually grab the weapon to close in and land the blow.

Bad Seafood posted:

Idk, I always liked Zoro fights. He does have to be handicapped but it leads to fun stuff, imo. I really like the Mr. 1 fight where he to be in tune with steel to cut it, the Ohm fight on skypiea was fantastic and a fight that used geography and the ruins in cool ways, the Kaku fight was also a ton of fun too I felt thanks in part to the Sniper King sword. Zoro fights are pretty simple, but I still think they're really neat for the most part.

Wish there were more Usopp fights though, he's like Macguyver with his fights and it's great.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

zoro is on par with luffy and has been through most of the series. thats why he has to be handicapped if he isnt fighting luffy level opps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008