Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Brook stealing apples from a cow lol

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Good god.

So I have this crazy hope that CP0 is actually the heads of the Celestial Dragon families in disguise. I just want them to be relevant so bad :negative:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

quakster posted:

Since this is by far the worst OP thread I've read so far, I gotta ask: What's the general thread consensus on D standing for Devil or some in-universe equivalent? Seems p. likely, IMO.

Given the ability for one's will to survive your death and be found in generations to come, especially with the will of D it's more likely to be Dharma.

We haven't come across any Ds that are just hateful assholes have we? Other than Blackbeard who is claimed to be a fake D.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its a bit ludicrous that all these characters have d in the name and we still don't know what it is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eiichiro O D. A

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

its a bit ludicrous that all these characters have d in the name and we still don't know what it is

Wonder how many times Chuck D gets asked about it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jose posted:

It's probably intrinsic to the Void Century and such so those things will be unveiled at the same time

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was thinking, Nico worked with CP9 because she was scared for the lives of the Straw Hats...but the CP9 plan inherently involves framing the Straw Hats for a crime which they could be captured (pretty easily by an entire city and superhuman carpenters) and executed???
I guess it was the psychological effect/trauma of the buster call manipulating her and maybe she assumed they had a better chance of surviving a battle against the entire city of Water Seven than the combined force of the buster call? Still kinda confused me for a second.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

quakster posted:

Since this is by far the worst OP thread I've read so far, I gotta ask: What's the general thread consensus on D standing for Devil or some in-universe equivalent? Seems p. likely, IMO.

I'd say it's possible. Especially now that it's been revealed that the Ds are apparently mortal enemies of the World Nobles (aka the Celestial Dragons).

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I was thinking, Nico worked with CP9 because she was scared for the lives of the Straw Hats...but the CP9 plan inherently involves framing the Straw Hats for a crime which they could be captured (pretty easily by an entire city and superhuman carpenters) and executed???
I guess it was the psychological effect/trauma of the buster call manipulating her and maybe she assumed they had a better chance of surviving a battle against the entire city of Water Seven than the combined force of the buster call? Still kinda confused me for a second.

Pretty much. The Buster Call leveled an island. It is logically much worse that fighting what's on an island. Also the last Buster Call had both Akainu and Aokiji.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I mean, they fought Crocodile and won, had beaten up a lightning god and his following, and escaped from Smoker by this point. Robin probably thought their chances against a bunch of carpenters and some civvies was pretty good compared to trying to deal with an admiral + 10 warships carpet bombing them, especially if she took CP9 to their word that the marines wouldn't step in to help Water 7 if she turned herself in peacefully.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Baal posted:

I think Skypiea's okay, but that's probably just because I have a really high opinion of Eneru as an antagonist and the climax of it is loving amazing. It does really drag out though and overstays its welcome, but I think for what short time Eneru is there makes up for it.

I'm gonna let your opinions on Marinefold slide because Eneru really was one of the best villains. As a reader it kills me that nobody else but luffy and the handful that makes up his crew knows that he took out the most overpowered devil fruit ability user ever.

Admiral Kizaru is just a watered-down Enel, let's be honest here.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I'm gonna let your opinions on Marinefold slide because Eneru really was one of the best villains. As a reader it kills me that nobody else but luffy and the handful that makes up his crew knows that he took out the most overpowered devil fruit ability user ever.

Admiral Kizaru is just a watered-down Enel, let's be honest here.
Yeah, I love 'em both though. Kizaru's just got such a fun personality/style. You could say Enel's like one of the only One Piece villains to actually accomplish his goal, right? I mean, he made it to the Moon. It's just that he happened to be a psychopath and add other extra goals like "kill loving everyone and destroy Skypiea while I do it".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He made it to the moon and made robot friends, I'm glad for him.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I love 'em both though. Kizaru's just got such a fun personality/style. You could say Enel's like one of the only One Piece villains to actually accomplish his goal, right? I mean, he made it to the Moon. It's just that he happened to be a psychopath and add other extra goals like "kill loving everyone and destroy Skypiea while I do it".

Pretty much, yeah.

I still think that whole moon base of operations with the robots is gonna bounce back into the plot somehow. I'd go so far as to say it might be tied in to the superweapon Uranus, which wasn't even mentioned as a thing till the end of Fishman Island but i'm not holding my breath here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheFallenEvincar posted:

One Piece needs more poorly veiled/barely held in check sociopaths like Borsalino. He's pretty unique compared to all the scenery-chewing assholes going ZEHAHAHA or FOSFOSFOSFOS or NFUFUFUFU all over the place.

e: Not that there's anything wrong with said assholes either, they're cool too

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait, was Kaido actually foreshadowed? Trying to figure out if that's supposed to be him at the bottom? It doesn't really look like him at all. Looks more like Kuma kind of. I guess it could be Young Kaido?

I mean I see Shanks, Charlotte, and Whitebeard...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait, was Kaido actually foreshadowed? Trying to figure out if that's supposed to be him at the bottom? It doesn't really look like him at all. Looks more like Kuma kind of. I guess it could be Young Kaido?

I mean I see Shanks, Charlotte, and Whitebeard...

Kaido's design wasn't yet finalized at the time, so the Kaido you see now looks pretty different from the Kaido on that picture.

(And yes, the fourth guy is supposed to be Kaido.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I believe Kaido's name was mentioned pretty far back. To be fair that was like two years prior to the current situation and also ages in actual chapters, so Oda probably wasn't 100% on what he'd look like at the moment.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah thats an early version of Kaido

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ah, well, I'm glad Oda went with the design he ended up going with instead then...

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'd say it's possible. Especially now that it's been revealed that the Ds are apparently mortal enemies of the World Nobles (aka the Celestial Dragons).
Not just the nobles but anyone playing god, basically.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Has One Piece chapter 0 aka 565.5 ever had an official Viz manga release? I need a copy and willing to buy digital volume if it's included.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Has One Piece chapter 0 aka 565.5 ever had an official Viz manga release? I need a copy and willing to buy digital volume if it's included.

Yeah, Viz did it for their Shonen Jump magazine release. No idea if they ever put it in a volume or not though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sinners Sandwich posted:

OH man this reminds me how much I miss Duval. The "this child is cursed!" line of chap 0 is probably my favorite single panel in the manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ODA DOES IT AGAIN

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat, Cerberus smelling through the fourth wall

it knows we're here

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey 'sup it's your Secret Santa.

I was gonna make a Prezi for this but apparently you need to pay to make it private????? I was like gently caress no that poo poo ain't happening. So I thought about using Google Docs but I was like, eh, too much effort also I know nothing about the Cloud. So you're getting a post in the One Piece thread that nobody is apt to see because who the gently caress reads backlogs of manga threads????

Anyways you asked for weird foreign candy and I am sure that my gifts satisfy 1 of those 2 conditions, so I thought I might as well give you an explanation of what they are, complete with lovely pictures I took with my camera's phone in my room.

호박엿 (pronounced hobak yeot, Korean Pumpkin Malt Candy)
Yeot is a type of traditional Korean confectionery (source: Wikipedia). The one I've sent you is made with pumpkin (호박). Yeot is pretty tough at first, but it starts to get pretty chewy after a while. I'd liken it to taffy, but I'm not really sure what taffy is other than the fact that there's apparently a thing called saltwater taffy? A fun fact about yeot - telling someone to eat yeot is pretty much Korea's way of saying "gently caress you." This has its origins in the mujeup padong (Radish Juice Crisis) of 1964.
The time was December 7th, 1964. At this time, students had to take tests to enter middle school. The crisis revolved around one particular middle school - Jeongi Middle School. You see, one of the questions on the test was a multiple question that laid out the instructions for making yeot and asked the following: "Which of the following can be used in lieu of yeot oil to make yeot?" The answer to the question, according to the people who had made the test, was "diastase." However, another option among the multiple choice answers was "mujeup (Radish Juice)", which people claimed could be used as well. This was because mujeup contained diastase, and this fact was even stated in elementary school texts at the time. The makers of the questions claimed that the test takers were supposed to pinpoint the component needed to make yeot, which didn't really go over well with angry parents.
The situation was made even worse when Seoul's superintendent of education made the monumentally stupid mistake of saying that if people could make yeot from mujeup, then he would try to save students who had gotten that answer wrong." You can pretty much guess what happened after that.

Shio Ame (Salt Candy)
Here's the fun part - this isn't Korean. It's Japanese. It's ironic because I'm sending you Japanese candy from Korea! I tried one, and it's not all that salty in my opinion. I grouped it with the hobak yeot to make what I call the "X-Box One Package" cause it's full of gently caress yous and salt from the tears of bratty 14 year olds. It's a console joke. X-Bone sucks.

Pocky & Ppeppero
Pocky is the Japanese original chocolate-covered stick. Ppeppero is the Korean knockoff by Lotte. Just chocolate would have been boring so I got you blueberry and almonds. Unfun fact: I actually bought the Pocky first thinking it was Ppeppero, and then bought the Ppeppero once I realized my mistake. I hear Pocky tastes better. I don't really care. I can't tell the difference. The "Zep has no sense of taste" meme.

누룽지 사탕 (pronounced nurungji satang, Scorched Rice Candy)
Nurungji (Scorched Rice) is the rice left in the cooking pot after making rice. Literally leftovers. For some monumentally hosed up reason, Korean people like it and think it's refreshing. They pour hot water on it and eat it as soup or tea or whatever. nurungji is best eaten as nurungji tang (Scorched Rice Soup), a Chinese (or Korean-Chinese) dish that involves putting Nurungji in a savory seafood soup. It's really more about the soup than the nurungji, really. Nurungji is best not eaten as pretty much everything else, including candy. It's not bad, but there's probably better.

허니버터침 (Honey Butter Chip)
Originally a Japanese product, Honey Butter Chip became wildly popular for absolutely no legible reason when it entered Korea in the latter half of 2014, bringing about the aptly named "Honey Butter Craze of Dumb Fucks Susceptible to Stupid loving Fads." They quickly sold out, were virtually impossible to obtain. The company behind the Honey Butter Chip was unable to meet demands, so people turned to a bunch of copycat products like Honey Tong Tong or Sumi Chip Honey Mustard. Everyone and their dog was promoting their products by adding the words "honey butter" or "honey" or "honey + some other ingredient that was not butter" to take advantage of the notoriously fad-prone Korean people. The phrase "Honey Butter Chip" came to symbolize "something rare and valuable" to the Korean collective. To me, it symbolizes "something that's not really that great but got propped up and thrown on a pedestal for no good reason for a period of time before the public decided to follow the next big thing." I tried it once a month or so back and it wasn't that great. Enjoy a trivial piece of Korea's petty history with the bag I've sent you. Hopefully the bag hasn't been torn during the trip. Marvel at its unremarkable flavor, then head to a supermarket and buy a bag of the objectively superior Doritos.

양갱이 (pronounced yanggaengi, Sweet Bean Jelly)
This is one of Korea's oldest commercial snacks, as the brand began production in 1945 after Korea's liberation from Japanese rule. The second oldest snack in Korea was released at least 10 years after it. It's based off the Japanese yokan, which itself is based off something from China, like virtually everything in Korea and Japan. It's incredibly sweet and soft, which often turns young people away. However, old people like it because of those very qualities. It's meant to be eaten with tea and stuff. It's classy. The ones I've sent you are Red Bean and Acorn, which you should be able to tell by the pictures. There are also Sweet Potato, Almond, and other flavors. Don't eat too much at once. Eatin' 2 is no big deal, but consuming too much of them at once can shut down your brain or whatever due to the influx of sugar or something, I dunno, I'm not a scientist. It may be a bit difficult to open the package cause it's sorta sticky, so be careful about that.

사보텐 스토어 (Saboten Store)
Saboten Store is a maid cafe exclusive to Korea. It also serves as a place to buy and reserve anime/manga goodies like figures, dolls, original Korean doujinshi (books, games, CDs, etc.). I've never really tried out the cafe, but I did buy a nice phone strap featuring Sakura Chiyo. It was expensive but hella cute. Then I ended up sitting on it while my phone was in my pocket and it broke. Now I'm sad. I'd say the prices are expensive, but they're probably reflective of the Korean anime/manga goodie market. The store knows its audience - in the shop section, 1 wall has stuff like Love Live and iDOLM@STER and other stuff to appear to fat goons like me and then the other wall has a bunch of stuff for series that appear to fujioshi, like Kuro's Basket and other series that feature a bunch of dudes who might or might not make out with each other according to fans. The handkerchief (I think?) I sent you features the store's mascot characters, which are also unique to Korea. The chick in the green dress and blonde hair is the main mascot. I also sent you the shopping bag because... because reasons.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 10, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oda's a great loving writer really, that's most of what makes one piece so drat good the guy can just write really loving well when it comes down to it

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Oda's a great loving writer really, that's most of what makes one piece so drat good the guy can just write really loving well when it comes down to it

Luffy and crew's goals have been exactly the same since the story started: have big parties and beat up every wacky rear end in a top hat they encounter. 10 years ago I thought clown pirates was cool, now I think an emotionally traumatized yet honorable pervert is funny. It's the consistency I respect.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NecroMonster posted:

It's the best children's fairytale about superpowered pirates and how they relate to global politics I've read in a while, tbqh.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I wanna see more of Kaido's pirates, they had a kickass design

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Amorphous Blob posted:

I like Boa's haughtiness and it's a shame she became just another Luffy groupie.

That's the reason she worked so well, same as Bart. Both are giant Luffy weeaboos, despite it not being what you except out of either of them given their personalities and looks,

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
New chapter is out. There are a lot of things to be excited about this week!

Mr. Prince?!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I love One Piece!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I always love the post arc wrap up chapters.

God, Ussop.

So was that implying CP0 was actually CP9?

Also was that shadowy Captain Jack guy on one of Kaido's ships supposed to be Axe Hand Morgan?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

burntpork posted:

Mr. Prince?!

That's gotta be it. All those theories were true.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

burntpork posted:

Mr. Prince?!

that's one hell of a loving chapter
usopp's statue. barto's ship. the pigeon's mask. Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

GodFish posted:

I always love the post arc wrap up chapters.

God, Ussop.

So was that implying CP0 was actually CP9?

Also was that shadowy Captain Jack guy on one of Kaido's ships supposed to be Axe Hand Morgan?

Ussop was great, but the fact Bart is joining them on the next adventure maybe is better.

No, Spandam was there and taking orders from Lucci, who is now CP0.

Probably not, but it looks like Doffy is being rescued or captured by someone.