Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tbp posted:

who was that above blackbeard in the emperor pic? big mom?

Yep. The nose looks right, and it can't be Kaidou because he's right next to her with the horns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondster
May 6, 2007

I don't think Sanji is going to be some secret prince or something that. Sanji did the Mr. Prince stuff because he likes doing that secret, behind closed doors poo poo during arcs. Plus if he was doing Mr. Prince to hide his identity, why would he join a pirate ship and not stay on the Baratie? Also if he was hiding his identity why would he flip out over his initial wanted poster not looking like him?

Personally, I think Big Mom may be involved. Maybe Sanji cooked for her and she liked it so much she reached out to the WG for a special request to capture Sanji alive.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I wonder how you lock up someone with conquerer's haki? I feel bad for the level 6 employees.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I can't wait for Enel to come back from the moon to join luffys armada

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sub Harrison posted:

I wonder how you lock up someone with conquerer's haki? I feel bad for the level 6 employees.

nobody there would be affected by it

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

bondster posted:

I don't think Sanji is going to be some secret prince or something that. Sanji did the Mr. Prince stuff because he likes doing that secret, behind closed doors poo poo during arcs. Plus if he was doing Mr. Prince to hide his identity, why would he join a pirate ship and not stay on the Baratie? Also if he was hiding his identity why would he flip out over his initial wanted poster not looking like him?

Personally, I think Big Mom may be involved. Maybe Sanji cooked for her and she liked it so much she reached out to the WG for a special request to capture Sanji alive.

The idea is that Mr. Prince is an allusion to his nobility. He could have come up with any number of pseudonyms at Alabasta, but he chose that one. You could argue that it's more like Prince as in Prince Charming, but this could be a good twist. It could be that "Sanji" itself isn't his given name and that's how his wanted posters were Dead or Alive until now. The reason for leaving Baratie is pretty clear: he wanted to find All Blue and that wasn't possible on a restaurant ship. Also, I doubt Big Mom has any sway over the WG to make them want him alive only given he's a part of one of the most wanted pirate crews. It's very likely in my eyes that he was recognized by a noble and that forced the WG's hand.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

bondster posted:

It's possible Sanji doesn't know, but yeah for crazy theories I'm on board the Duval train, where Sanji's poster just happens to look just like a World Noble's missing son. Perhaps it'll even be left ambiguous in the end whether he really is or not.

I think though, it's more likely this is to build a sense of mystery and suspense to what Sanji has been up to recently. I wouldn't be surprised if we flash back and follow that group's adventure. But I think we'll just be dumped in in media res and have to work out what's been happening as we go.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its going to be used for a joke rather than a plot point

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sanji isn't allowed to be cool anymore

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
Holy poo poo the Barto clubs ship. :perfect:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

We'll find out that Sanji is a missing prince and his birth name was... Naruto!

Your run is done, son, Oda's taking it back!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sanji is the prince of the Wayside Kingdom, a country for nerds who couldn't keep up with franky and brook and jinbei

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I can't get over Dressrosa now having a statue of Usopp Face :allears:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Bart's ship is everything I didn't know I wanted.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

I guess he's gettin' broken out by whoever the heck that was anyways, to show up at the very end, with Crocodile and Moriah probably doing the same

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Simoom posted:

I guess he's gettin' broken out by whoever the heck that was anyways, to show up at the very end, with Crocodile and Moriah probably doing the same

Whoever is there has to get through Sengoku, Fujitora and Otsuru.

Especially Fujitora, who could literally make the drat ship fly if he wanted to. Or drop a meteor on the enemy ship.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Whoever is there has to get through Sengoku, Fujitora and Otsuru.

Especially Fujitora, who could literally make the drat ship fly if he wanted to. Or drop a meteor on the enemy ship.

Or make the enemy ship fly for a short but very important space of time.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
I want a reaction from the hometowns with the new bounties and such. It feels like ages since we had those.

Also, OP is awesome.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Sanji backstory arc incoming, oh god, I always thought if anyone had a missing backstory it would be Nami (due to how she and her sister met Bellamere and the nature of her weather predicting powers).

We actually know very little about any of the Strawhats' backstories, aside from a single defining tragedy.

Luffy
Before Flashback - Who/where is Luffy's mom? Why was he abandoned? Why did Garp take him to be raised by a bandit rather than raise Luffy himself?
After Flashback - Not much here. We're led to believe that Luffy just continued to train until the day he left. Something else could have happened though.

Zoro
Before Flashback - No parents. What happened to them? Was he living in that dojo? Actually, come to think of it, Zoro might have parents. It'd be a great gag later to find out that Zoro has a doting mother and father back home who just want their precious baby boy to be happy.
After Flashback - Zoro had to have some adventures on his own to have already made a name for himself as a bounty hunter. Who did he take down? Mightn't they want revenge?

Nami
Before Flashback - Found in a battlefield. Was this a war or just bad pirate attack? There could be something special about Nami (or Nojiko, I guess) tied to that battle and that's why Bellemere had to desert the marines in order to save the girls.
After Flashback - Same as Zoro, really. She stole 93 million berries from some presumably pissed off pirates. More opportunity for a revenge story.

Usopp
NO FLASHBACK - I mean, there's a brief one in which his mother dies and he starts his daily lying, but that's not really tragic ENOUGH for a One Piece flashback, you know? Really, his defining tragedy was The Boy Who Cried Wolf one that we get when he joins the Strawhats.

Sanji
Before Flashback - Nothing before being a cook on a cruise ship. Again, no parents. Again, where are they/who are they? I like the secret prince/noble theory. I prefer to think that Sanji ran away for some reason, but was too young to know the life of privileged he was throwing away and therefore won't have any idea why he's wanted Only Alive. Maybe the Mr. Prince moniker was just a coincidence (he likes to think of himself as a Prince Charming/knight in shining armor, after all), or maybe he vaguely remembers being called a prince when he was very young. Maybe he recalls it as a mother's petname rather than a title. Lotta "maybes" there. Can't wait to find out more.
After Flashback - Nothing much. We know he stayed on the Baratie and helped Zeff. Not a lot of room for extra stories there.

Chopper
Before Flashback - Nothing to see here. Unless we count the story of the previous Human-Human Fruit eater who must have died on Drum Island at some point.
After Flashback - Again, I'm not seeing much. He trains under Doc Kureha.

Robin
Before Flashback - We know about her mom, but what about her dad? Something is mentioned about his "unfinished business" (I JUST rewatched this, and noted the line), so there's probably a story there. Also, Robin had already eaten the devil fruit by the time we see her flashback. Where did she get it and from whom?
After Flashback -

Franky
Before Flashback - Pirate parents who can't handle their unruly son? I want to hear that story. Or at least get a page or two displaying their character designs and personalities. They could even be "important" later, but I doubt it. I think they're only important to set up Franky as being a wild child.
After Flashback - I think there's a good story to be told about what Franky did after failing to stop the train and rebuilding himself as a cyborg. He didn't go back to Water 7 right away. What did he do in the intervening years? What made him return to the island that held such pain for him and already thought him dead?

Brook
Before Flashback - We got a lot of his life story in the flashback, but there's still so much to tell. There's literally a lifetime of stories missing from Brook's backstory. He remembers a rookie named Roger; maybe he'll have experienced something else that turned out to be really important.
After Flashback - Not much. We didn't get to see much of his first encounter with Moria. Just a flashback to his first attempt to retrieve his shadow. Other that that, it's just lonely drifting through fog.

So yeah. There's a lot of room for further defining the personalities of pretty much all the Strawhats.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This statue depicts the mighty God Usopp striking mortal fear in his enemies with his terrifying Warp Spasm

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
While I freaking LOVE the larger arcs. These in between chapters might be the best thing ever.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mulderman posted:

While I freaking LOVE the larger arcs. These in between chapters might be the best thing ever.

It's always fun seeing the updates on the status of the world after a big arc finishes. Bounty updates are always a blast. One of the reasons I was so bored with Fishman Island is because we only heard a couple things after the time skip before the crew got embroiled in this really lame, separated conflict. The feast after their victory was so satisfying. The guys meeting Kuzan in Film Z was cool too.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I like that Zoro's epithet is still "Pirate Hunter" despite that not making any sense for like 800 chapters now.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RuBisCO posted:

I like that Zoro's epithet is still "Pirate Hunter" despite that not making any sense for like 800 chapters now.

Oh, he still hunts pirates. He killed the poo poo out of the Arlong Pirates for one.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

lowercase16 posted:

We actually know very little about any of the Strawhats' backstories, aside from a single defining tragedy.

Luffy
Before Flashback - Who/where is Luffy's mom? (executed by the marines) Why was he abandoned? (children of gol d roger wer being hunted by the government as well as the women he laid with) Why did Garp take him to be raised by a bandit rather than raise Luffy himself? (full time marine captain at the time too dangerous to have a child at sea)

Zoro

After Flashback - he was infamous for being the most successful bounty hunter in east blue. if he targeted them he caught them every time. at the time of his capture by morgan he was about to go after someone big (arlong i think?)

Nami

After Flashback - answered in arlong park. she only became a bandit to save her hometown from the fishmen pirates. she was pretty much their slave making maps until she convinced them to let her go explore new places in east blue so they could have a complete map of east blue then the deal to buy fishman island came to her mind and she became a willing member of the fishmen pirates (so she led them to believe and arlong led her to think he had accepted)

Chopper
Before Flashback - Nothing to see here. he was a wild animal who found a fruit
After Flashback - we know everything post flashback because it was told to us in current time. once the doctor took him in he worked to become better till that doctor died and his friend took in chopper. wapol attacked the doctors kureiha and chopper ran to the outskirts till the random pirate group that forced wapol to abandon drum the first time showed up once wapol was run off and the pirates bailed they took the castle and held it until the day the "pink flowers" bloomed. which was the original doctor's dream for the island thus fufilling chopper's dream as well giving him the freedom to leave his home.

Robin
we already know why she's super important but not the full details.

Franky

After Flashback - answered. he wanted to build his mentor's ultimate ship but the government would use it as a weapon so instead of building it he would keep it from them and replace his mentor (i cant remember his name,I thought it was cutty flam but that is franky himself.) in water 7 as penace for getting him killed.

Brook
Before Flashback - we'll get to the roger mention i'm certain
After Flashback - we know exactly what happened. moria sicced his own shadow on brook who was still in despair from the loss of his crew the loss to his shadow caused him a great trauma to the point he unconsiously didnt want to fight his own shadow again. even when he did fight his shadow later he had to steel himself and shake off his own cowardice.

(still much room to grow though)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And in one chapter, I am won back

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Luffy is not Ace, brometheus

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Who's the guy in the left side of the revolutionaries panel?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think it's Kuma

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Relin posted:

Who's the guy in the left side of the revolutionaries panel?

No clue. Wild Guess, Kuma's real mind.

We can see the other new admirals hair.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

lowercase16 posted:

Zoro
Before Flashback - No parents. What happened to them? Was he living in that dojo? Actually, come to think of it, Zoro might have parents. It'd be a great gag later to find out that Zoro has a doting mother and father back home who just want their precious baby boy to be happy.
After Flashback - Zoro had to have some adventures on his own to have already made a name for himself as a bounty hunter. Who did he take down? Mightn't they want revenge?

Zoro might originally be from Water 7 and got lost all the way to East Blue. There's a panel during Franky's flashback that shows a young kid crying in Water 7 that looks suspiciously like Zoro.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

lowercase16 posted:

Franky
Before Flashback - Pirate parents who can't handle their unruly son? I want to hear that story. Or at least get a page or two displaying their character designs and personalities. They could even be "important" later, but I doubt it. I think they're only important to set up Franky as being a wild child.
After Flashback - I think there's a good story to be told about what Franky did after failing to stop the train and rebuilding himself as a cyborg. He didn't go back to Water 7 right away. What did he do in the intervening years? What made him return to the island that held such pain for him and already thought him dead?

It was kinda strange how Franky rebuilding his body was glossed over. "He found some spare parts and put his shipwright skills to use"? Seems dodgy, the way Oda no biggies it. Maybe the Pluton blueprints taught him about cyborg technology. Maybe the parts belonged to Vegapunk or some other scientist. There's a plotline starting there.

This chapter was so freaking good.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Is that supposed to be Killer next to Law? Is he just hair after the time skip?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Mane thing in the big pirate panel is probably the 7th. Same mane from

?

KoB
May 1, 2009

lowercase16 posted:

Zoro

Oda had originally said that if someone had a last name, their family name would be important later on.

But that was like 20 years ago so maybe he dropped it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Professor Wayne posted:

Is that supposed to be Killer next to Law? Is he just hair after the time skip?

hes next to kidd

Kild posted:

The Mane thing in the big pirate panel is probably the 7th. Same mane from

?

exactly my thoughts as well. i actually thought this character was sabo because of the cup thing in that cover arc, but it absolutely has to be someone friendly with both shanks and crocus. so probably and old school dude. also, the shichibukai has to be powerful since he hosed up an admiral (according to film z).

and he has shikis hair.

so its shiki.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RuBisCO posted:

Nami hasn't done much cat burgling lately either.

Chopper still loves cotton candy though.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cat Machine posted:

Further to the "Sanji is a prince who is deliberately concealing his identity" chat, check out this eyecatch from ~10 years ago in the anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTuiGO0PZFA

:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

I'm missing something, what is the super secret unseen thing in this?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

I'm missing something, what is the super secret unseen thing in this?

He puts his hand to the camera like a celebrity would I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Power levels confirmed.