Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

lowercase16 posted:

We actually know very little about any of the Strawhats' backstories, aside from a single defining tragedy.

Luffy
Before Flashback - Who/where is Luffy's mom?

This always puzzled me too. Most established female characters of any importance are either too young, too old, or too ugly to plausibly be a close relative of Luffy. Ivankov didn't know Dragon had a family, which rules out the males. It could be Jewelry Bonney, but my guess is it will turn out to be a previously unmentioned female relative of an established male character, most likely Roger.

quote:

Why was he abandoned?

Dragon was busy/in danger as leader of the Revolutionaries. Luffy's mother probably either died in childbirth or had her own criminal career.

quote:

Why did Garp take him to be raised by a bandit rather than raise Luffy himself?

He was busy as a Marine, and doesn't seem to be a very responsible person.

quote:

After Flashback - Not much here. We're led to believe that Luffy just continued to train until the day he left. Something else could have happened though.

Yeah, the post-Marineford flashback fills in the gaps between Romance Dawn and the main story pretty well.

quote:

Zoro
Before Flashback - No parents. What happened to them? Was he living in that dojo? Actually, come to think of it, Zoro might have parents. It'd be a great gag later to find out that Zoro has a doting mother and father back home who just want their precious baby boy to be happy.

A complete mystery here. I don't buy the theory that he's from Water 7, since you'd think he would have mentioned it if he was from the Grand Line.

quote:

After Flashback - Zoro had to have some adventures on his own to have already made a name for himself as a bounty hunter. Who did he take down? Mightn't they want revenge?

They already addressed this at Whiskey Peak, when it was revealed that he'd killed a Frontier Agent. Aside from that, the people Zoro took down probably weren't very strong by Grand Line standards, and thus probably aren't very important. I think there is a gap here, since I don't remember an explanation of how he met Johnny and Yosaku, but it's probably not important enough to be addressed outside of an SBS at this point.

quote:

Nami
Before Flashback - Found in a battlefield. Was this a war or just bad pirate attack? There could be something special about Nami (or Nojiko, I guess) tied to that battle and that's why Bellemere had to desert the marines in order to save the girls.

Probably just a pirate attack. I don't think "real" wars are common in East Blue.

quote:

After Flashback - Same as Zoro, really. She stole 93 million berries from some presumably pissed off pirates. More opportunity for a revenge story.

As with Zoro, they probably weren't strong enough to be important.

quote:

Usopp
NO FLASHBACK - I mean, there's a brief one in which his mother dies and he starts his daily lying, but that's not really tragic ENOUGH for a One Piece flashback, you know? Really, his defining tragedy was The Boy Who Cried Wolf one that we get when he joins the Strawhats.

No flashback, but no room to insert one either. I think what you see is what you get here, ironically.

quote:

Sanji
Before Flashback - Nothing before being a cook on a cruise ship. Again, no parents. Again, where are they/who are they? I like the secret prince/noble theory. I prefer to think that Sanji ran away for some reason, but was too young to know the life of privileged he was throwing away and therefore won't have any idea why he's wanted Only Alive. Maybe the Mr. Prince moniker was just a coincidence (he likes to think of himself as a Prince Charming/knight in shining armor, after all), or maybe he vaguely remembers being called a prince when he was very young. Maybe he recalls it as a mother's petname rather than a title. Lotta "maybes" there. Can't wait to find out more.

I kind of like this idea, although it's worth noting that he was born in North Blue, which restricts the possibilities somewhat.

quote:

After Flashback - Nothing much. We know he stayed on the Baratie and helped Zeff. Not a lot of room for extra stories there.

Agreed.

quote:

Chopper
Before Flashback - Nothing to see here. Unless we count the story of the previous Human-Human Fruit eater who must have died on Drum Island at some point.

I think Oda just didn't really think through the implications of the Human Human Fruit just lying around.

quote:

After Flashback - Again, I'm not seeing much. He trains under Doc Kureha.

We actually already got a backstory twist after the main flashback (the origin of Monster Point). Not really room for anything more, though.

quote:

Robin
Before Flashback - We know about her mom, but what about her dad? Something is mentioned about his "unfinished business" (I JUST rewatched this, and noted the line), so there's probably a story there. Also, Robin had already eaten the devil fruit by the time we see her flashback. Where did she get it and from whom?

Interesting. I don't have any guesses.

quote:

After Flashback -

The flashback does include a few panels of her life between leaving Ohara and joining Baroque Works, but only in pretty broad strokes. I take this as intentional glossing over of the pretty horrible things she's probably done to survive. (At one point she actually tells Zoro that she used to be an assassin, but I'm not sure how serious she was.)

quote:

Franky
Before Flashback - Pirate parents who can't handle their unruly son? I want to hear that story. Or at least get a page or two displaying their character designs and personalities. They could even be "important" later, but I doubt it. I think they're only important to set up Franky as being a wild child.

I agree that they're probably not important.

quote:

After Flashback - I think there's a good story to be told about what Franky did after failing to stop the train and rebuilding himself as a cyborg. He didn't go back to Water 7 right away. What did he do in the intervening years? What made him return to the island that held such pain for him and already thought him dead?

I never noticed this. :iiam:, but if it gets elaborated on, it will probably be tied to Vegapunk somehow.

quote:

Brook
Before Flashback - We got a lot of his life story in the flashback, but there's still so much to tell. There's literally a lifetime of stories missing from Brook's backstory. He remembers a rookie named Roger; maybe he'll have experienced something else that turned out to be really important.

He would be an interesting source of information on how the OPverse has changed over the decades, but I doubt it will be elaborated on much.

quote:

After Flashback - Not much. We didn't get to see much of his first encounter with Moria. Just a flashback to his first attempt to retrieve his shadow. Other that that, it's just lonely drifting through fog.

Not much to elaborate on there, I think.

quote:

So yeah. There's a lot of room for further defining the personalities of pretty much all the Strawhats.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its no surprise that there are so many pirates in a world full of deadbeat parents

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
shakky is probably luffys mom if any character we've seen is

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Weren't Nami's parents revealed in one of the movies? Also why would the previous Human-Human fruit user need to have died on Drum island? That's not how they work.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RatHat posted:

Weren't Nami's parents revealed in one of the movies?

movies arent canon

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

anime was right posted:

movies arent canon

Except when they are.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Oda said that Luffy's mom had already appeared in the manga, and he even specified a volume. I'm sure the possibilities could be narrowed down to a tight list.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Which volume?

She's going to be one of the people in the crowd at Roger's execution or some other crowd shot, isn't she?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Kild posted:

The Mane thing in the big pirate panel is probably the 7th. Same mane from

?

I always thought that person was Captain Yorki (who may still be alive, albeit very old), theirs no reason to keep Shiki's identity a secret.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

F. Lobot posted:

It was kinda strange how Franky rebuilding his body was glossed over. "He found some spare parts and put his shipwright skills to use"? Seems dodgy, the way Oda no biggies it. Maybe the Pluton blueprints taught him about cyborg technology. Maybe the parts belonged to Vegapunk or some other scientist. There's a plotline starting there.

This chapter was so freaking good.

But Franky didn't get the Pluton plans until after he rebuilt himself and returned to Water 7.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Power levels confirmed.

Boooooo.

Silver2195 posted:

I think Oda just didn't really think through the implications of the Human Human Fruit just lying around.

Yeah, it's probably like haki in that he probably didn't solidify the mechanics until much later on.

Silver2195 posted:

We actually already got a backstory twist after the main flashback (the origin of Monster Point). Not really room for anything more, though.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that!

Silver2195 posted:

Interesting. I don't have any guesses.

Me either. I'm not really theory-crafting here; I'm just pointing out areas that Oda could use to surprise us in the future.

Jose posted:

its no surprise that there are so many pirates in a world full of deadbeat parents

Hurt people hurt people. :(

RatHat posted:

Also why would the previous Human-Human fruit user need to have died on Drum island? That's not how they work.

The fruit's power jump to the nearest similar fruit after the previous user dies. I guess I am assuming that Devil Fruits don't just appear randomly in the world, which might be wrong. I always assumed they all came from the same tree somewhere.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450633105"]
Oda said that Luffy's mom had already appeared in the manga, and he even specified a volume. I'm sure the possibilities could be narrowed down to a tight list.
Seriously? Why hasn't anybody done that already?! What volume?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450633105"]

You're gonna have to provide a source for this.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

shakky is probably luffys mom if any character we've seen is

Shakky is married to Rayleigh, and fairly old to boot (she quit being a pirate 42 years ago, so she's probably in her 60s). It's not impossible, but it's an odd fit with what we know about her.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RatHat posted:

the source is oda was talking about dragon, also, this is what he's said about luffys mom

quote:

I think she's alive. I'm still thinking very hard about this. [Laughs] But if she does appear in the story, then she'll be a very tough-looking woman. And strict. There's no way she's a beautiful mother. She's got this typical middle-aged woman's permed hair..."
The answer gors on, but it's just about Robin's past and how even if someone is not related to you by blood, they can still be your family.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anime was right posted:

the source is oda was talking about dragon, also, this is what he's said about luffys mom

so dadan

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Tolth posted:

I suspect you get a free pass when said pirate later charges into a fight with your entire leadership structure and makes it out unscathed.

Yeah but Lucchi was already there in disguise before Luffy started laying the beatdown on Doffy and the gang. Given how Aikanu was spitting hot fire over the new admiral apologizing to the country, it's hard for me to buy that Aikanu would let that slide, even with Lucchi/Aikanu's practice of 'Dark Justice'. There's definitely more to the story here, I figure it's got something to do with the Elder Stars or whatever they're called forcing their hand despite his objections.

On another story beat! Doffy's wrapped up in chains, pegged to the floor monitored by that 'give-no-fucks' lady marine and he's still delivering those trademark warped philosophical speeches? Stay golden flamingo, never change that spirit :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Yeah but Lucchi was already there in disguise before Luffy started laying the beatdown on Doffy and the gang. Given how Aikanu was spitting hot fire over the new admiral apologizing to the country, it's hard for me to buy that Aikanu would let that slide, even with Lucchi/Aikanu's practice of 'Dark Justice'. There's definitely more to the story here, I figure it's got something to do with the Elder Stars or whatever they're called forcing their hand despite his objections.

On another story beat! Doffy's wrapped up in chains, pegged to the floor monitored by that 'give-no-fucks' lady marine and he's still delivering those trademark warped philosophical speeches? Stay golden flamingo, never change that spirit :allears:

I think Akainu took issue with Fujitora's public apology and decision to let Luffy and Law go, not with quietly letting Doflamingo lose. I don't think Akainu likes the Warlords very much.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 24, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

akainu has one of the more ridiculous devil fruits and i'd like to see him get a proper fight before sabo beats him

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

RatHat posted:

This has some theorizing on it, but the sbs part is at the top right.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I thought Dragon was his biological dad? What's afro dude got to do with it

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I don't know what the original circler's point was, but it was probably something like "Look at the characters Oda consistently draws around Dragon. They're both probably important in some way."

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I like the signatures that the crew did. Luffy's just says "me," Zoro only wrote the kanji for sword, and Robin drew a rooster for Bartolomeo. I guess when you think about it it's odd that Usopp and Franky's are in a whole different language than the others' though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I like the signatures that the crew did. Luffy's just says "me," Zoro only wrote the kanji for sword, and Robin drew a rooster for Bartolomeo. I guess when you think about it it's odd that Usopp and Franky's are in a whole different language than the others' though.

All the books and newspapers and such we see are all in our alphabet too, but the Marines use Kanji on their shirt, as well as some other examples. It's probably the same language in the One Piece world, don't think about it too hard. I think Hunter x Hunter and maybe FMA are the only big shounen I can recall were consistent with this kinda thing.

Parrotine posted:

The Cipher Pol are a part of the police force, not the Marines. They're both World Government organisations but Sakazuki doesn't have any direct command over them, I don't think. If Kong or the Gorosei want Lucci back, he can't do diddly dick about it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its pointing out that the lady showed up in 440, what that person fails to account for is the actual thing oda said was "parent(s)" because plurals work funny in japanese.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm pretty sure "jack" is gonna be Morgan but with a kaidou fruit, this way when he fights the navy he gives them a rough time to show how strong kaidous army and fruits can make otherwise weak chars

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
he looks kinda like bluejam

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Gold Rodger impregnated Dragon through the force, let's move on

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The Barto Club ship loving owns :swoon:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Luffy is not Ace, brometheus

whoopsiedoodle. wires got crossed there dragon is luffy's papa.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Luffy's mom is Adventure. It's why he's constantly chasing after it. He just wants his mum.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The old wanted posters.
Chopper's reward has doubled.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't wait to see Captain Jacks' devastating attack, The Military Step

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450635380"]
This has some theorizing on it, but the sbs part is at the top right.

So we see franky's dad and either luffy or franky's mom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Say Nothing posted:

The old wanted posters.
Chopper's reward has doubled.

That's pre-timeskip. I can't remember all the changes but at least Luffy and Franky's bounties were higher.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

RatHat posted:

That's pre-timeskip. I can't remember all the changes but at least Luffy and Franky's bounties were higher.

Here's the timeskip bounties:

It's sorta hard to tell, but it looks like only Luffy's had increased.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

One thing the Mr. Prince theory explains is why Sanji's portrait was a lovely second-hand drawing back in Water 7. Beyond being a hilarious joke, it also pushes up this plot thread to the point where Oda wants to tell it, which would be now. This I guess is true regardless if he was a prince or not though - it's obvious he's not been recognized until now that there's an actual picture of him, and that this ties into his backstory.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Parrotine posted:

I thought Dragon was his biological dad? What's afro dude got to do with it

With Ivankov around gender doesn't really mean much. Luffy's mom could be a dude now. Hell, Dragon could technically be Luffy's mom from a temporary fit of Ivankov fancy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

With Ivankov around gender doesn't really mean much. Luffy's mom could be a dude now. Hell, Dragon could technically be Luffy's mom from a temporary fit of Ivankov fancy.

Except Ivankov didn't know Dragon had a family.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

Dragon and Ivankov are Luffy's dad and mom. Or mom and dad. Or mom and mom. It's no big deal.

Silver2195 posted:

It isn't a proper Revolutionary Army party if you remember the whole thing.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 25, 2015

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I hoping the reason they want Sanji alive is because some Okama Celestial Dragon saw Sanji's new photo and threw down and an extra 50 million berries, on top of the 50 the marines gave everyone, to make him a love slave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Sometimes you gotta send your gender switching buddy on a 9-10 month mission.