Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

lowercase16 posted:

We actually know very little about any of the Strawhats' backstories, aside from a single defining tragedy.

Luffy
Before Flashback - Who/where is Luffy's mom? (executed by the marines) Why was he abandoned? (children of gol d roger wer being hunted by the government as well as the women he laid with) Why did Garp take him to be raised by a bandit rather than raise Luffy himself? (full time marine captain at the time too dangerous to have a child at sea)

Zoro

After Flashback - he was infamous for being the most successful bounty hunter in east blue. if he targeted them he caught them every time. at the time of his capture by morgan he was about to go after someone big (arlong i think?)

Nami

After Flashback - answered in arlong park. she only became a bandit to save her hometown from the fishmen pirates. she was pretty much their slave making maps until she convinced them to let her go explore new places in east blue so they could have a complete map of east blue then the deal to buy fishman island came to her mind and she became a willing member of the fishmen pirates (so she led them to believe and arlong led her to think he had accepted)

Chopper
Before Flashback - Nothing to see here. he was a wild animal who found a fruit
After Flashback - we know everything post flashback because it was told to us in current time. once the doctor took him in he worked to become better till that doctor died and his friend took in chopper. wapol attacked the doctors kureiha and chopper ran to the outskirts till the random pirate group that forced wapol to abandon drum the first time showed up once wapol was run off and the pirates bailed they took the castle and held it until the day the "pink flowers" bloomed. which was the original doctor's dream for the island thus fufilling chopper's dream as well giving him the freedom to leave his home.

Robin
we already know why she's super important but not the full details.

Franky

After Flashback - answered. he wanted to build his mentor's ultimate ship but the government would use it as a weapon so instead of building it he would keep it from them and replace his mentor (i cant remember his name,I thought it was cutty flam but that is franky himself.) in water 7 as penace for getting him killed.

Brook
Before Flashback - we'll get to the roger mention i'm certain
After Flashback - we know exactly what happened. moria sicced his own shadow on brook who was still in despair from the loss of his crew the loss to his shadow caused him a great trauma to the point he unconsiously didnt want to fight his own shadow again. even when he did fight his shadow later he had to steel himself and shake off his own cowardice.

(still much room to grow though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Luffy is not Ace, brometheus

whoopsiedoodle. wires got crossed there dragon is luffy's papa.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

He pushed out the abstract notion of "exhaustion" and "pain" from Luffy's body so... yes.

Kuma's DF is so comically overpowered that, while on one hand I thought he was an awesome character, on the other I hope he never comes back because he would unbalance pretty much everything.

I think he can push things out of the body that "dont belong" to the body. the exhaustion and wounds came from something not of the body so he was able to remove it. he is also able to move a full body but i dont think he can pull a spirit away from a body (else we'd have likely gotten body swap shenanigans already)

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I love this thread. I love this series.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

The way Alvida's infobox specifically mentions that she's a female pirate makes me wonder whether Oda originally intended pirates to be almost exclusively male. In fact, after Alvida, we don't meet any female pirates until Nami is revealed to be a member of Arlong's crew; Buggy, Kuro, and Don Krieg all have all-male crews as far I remember.

As far as this goes even amongst real pirates one of the rules of the pirates code was no females allowed on the ship. mainly for their safety and to prevent pirates fighting each other over her. There however were still both female pirates and female pirate captains. 2 of the most ruthless pirates in our world were female.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
not to mention love triangles and what not. being at sea for months looootta room for potential problems.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Tashigi got the poo poo kicked out of her by monet. Alvida definitely killed a few people both pre-fruit and post fruit. miss double finger was the most dangerous female before Nico Robin. I love how people forget the war miss merry christmas went through (christmas and 4 vs usopp and chopper) then again that lends to the unattractive women getting more serious fights theory.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

Punk Hazard is also my least favorite stage in PW3 because you spend most of the level running away from gas. so maybe accuracy isn't always a good thing.
You mean it isnt the alarms considering the gas itself is hardly a threat.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mechanigma posted:

Doffy's eye
that is indeed doffy's eye. as for jack its for scale. to show how big he is i suppose. considering he is a gigantic mammoth he has gigantic eyes.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

Get the free DLC from Bandai's website to unlock a bunch of characters early and get a few alternate costumes too.

whats this now?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Shoren posted:

I know Chopper was never as gung-ho as the Monster Trio, but he at least tried to be brave in the face of danger and fight with the crew.[/spoiler]

you forget chopper had an outright phobia of humans. he only liked the strawhats other humans still bugged him. i dont think he is quite afraid of everyone...but he would still be more hesitant in conflict with them

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

I still think you guys have this "getting hit in the face with a big rubber object" thing all wrong.

that size. fired with the speed of a rubber bullet. thats kong gun in a nutshell. yeeeah

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
look. at. franky's. hair!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Oda married a woman who played nami in the live action stage show

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

I dont remember...but didnt manga duval have the exact same eyebrows as sanji? did they just gently caress up for the anime or am I remembering wrong?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Begemot posted:

You're remembering wrong.

it was sanji's poster looking like duval then.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
carrot is a lot more like luffy than chopper. shes eager to see the world where chopper was happy with his world.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
they are fighting a guy right now who "not my final forms" every time they have fatally wounded him...which has been 5 times. bleach needs to end.

to bring it back to op. I wouldnt agree with chopper being outclassed at what he does. she didnt heal luffy she took the poison from him.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 21, 2016

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
for those who dislike overwatch. I completely understand you cause I agree with a lot of your reasons...but if you dont take it seriously (dont play comp) and play with friends or get randoms who arent trying to lame the round out the game can be fun. i dont like their idea of map design for some of the stages. lotta dead areas where people dont fight because the defense would rather hold the chokepoint or you on attack run through it and ignore it completely.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
biscuit v luffy. that is gonna be some fight animated.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

anime was right posted:

im not cool, dude

you read one piece. you are a cool dude with good taste.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

anime was right posted:

christ i forgot how good the luffy marches to arlong park moment is, now i remember why people always recommend reading/watching to arlong park because that moment is just... jesus.

yup.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Asuron posted:

I'm not sure. I mean why tell anyone and not just let it happen, why attack Reiju who was going to let the wedding happen. It makes no sense. I feel like this is some sort of ploy to get the Germa to back out of the alliance and free Sanji, because if Reiju escaped there's no way in hell they go through with this. Plus Big Mom has kept all her wedding alliances in the past, why back out of this one now? I just feel something is very off with this reveal, because her actions make no sense.

Also Mangastreams transalation is atrocious this week with all that excessive swearing.
Remember Reiju isnt like the rest of them. she's just going along with their whims

I am sure its because Reiju heard them talking somewhere or heard something she shouldnt have got caught and attacked. escaped for a little while and then was captured by pudding.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I've been rereading the some of the manga the past few days, and have to say I actually really enjoyed Punk Hazard this second time around. Dressrosa still feels like it drags on too long, even when reading the chapters straight through, and I wonder how much better the arc would have flowed if Oda removed Bellamy entirely. With everything that is going on in that arc, his only purpose is to get in the way of and delay better fights.

It's actually tying up loose ends with bellamy and is his redemption story.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Kild posted:

It was okay. But it had CP0 and Sabo there without reason, and the ending fight wasn't very good.

Sabo and CP0 were there because tetsuro has a deal with the tenryuubito that allows his city to function the day the strawhats arrived was the day for the payment for their protection Spandem is in charge of that transfer and is still a member of CP0 though no longer the leader. Sabo being in the area was coincidence (in other words the movie didnt give a reason for this) but he went to tetsuroso because he heard luffy was there.

Tetsuro's crew is fantastic. dice and baccarat outshine everyone else once they get into action (literally comedy gold)

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
notu zisu shito againsu

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

I would generally agree, except I really like the voice acting and soundtrack in the anime. I still follow it even, but I don't really watch it anymore, I just listen. Also without the anime we would have never gotten this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Hctrcr2OY

To. This. Day.

"Of course we will" gets my blood pumping.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

tbp posted:

oh yeah when they fought kuma it looked great. the way the gum gum pistol was actually like, fast and had some sort of kinetic energy to it

like look how great luffys powers look hitting at kuma here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZK0-SY-Mqc

vs like half the time where his arm just kinda hangs back in the air for ages till he throws the punch

he did that here too. he was pumping blood into the arm he threw the first punch with for a good while (the entire time he was starting to glow) the whole charge he kept the arm back for momentum going forward and stretched it a bit....oh wait thats what you're pointing out lol. sorry yes this is a very well animated jet pistol

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Kuro?

Spandam?

Morgan?

Kuro was a mook compared to the real evils just trying to get his start.

Spandem IS a mook. he's a boot licking toadie trying to get promoted to real power but will never get it.

Morgan is just a lunatic.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

The last two pages are the hypest poo poo ever.

SO. loving. HYPE.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
chap is up on mangastream it is guuuuuud

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
SHE ATE THEM ALL.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Arlong Park is such a good arc that I didn't appreciate nearly enough previously. Also is Taking the only baddie who actually cares about his crew?

arlong likes his crew he never mistreats any of them and is quite vengeful is any of them got harmed. to that effect moriah made zombie crew members so he would never have to watch them die again since he could just revive them.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I was phone posting but Arlong is who I meant! Everyone else seems to casually murder or disregard their own crew entirely except for Blackbeard but he hasn't really been the primary antagonist of an arc yet. Doflamingo kind of?

for doffy he only cares about the upper ranks. the rank and file are trash to him

Don Kreig talked a big game and got people to join him then kept them with his brutality toward them

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I remember when the rumor was gin was so loyal because he was gay for don kreig.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Maybe this week's chapter will prove me totally wrong but I reread last week's and it still seems like it'd be weird to me if Linlin ate her friends. Why wouldn't they have just run away? She's shown as still being in the same place where she was when she started eating the croquembouche. Maybe she chased them down and then came back to it I guess.

You have seen how they treat her when she is eating in tottoland. they feed her large quantities from a far distance.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
...you become what you eat...you become the embodiment of the fruit...for fucks sake...that might be it after all this goddamn time...the most horrific secret of one piece.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Enel the Embodiment of Lightning.

Haki users would beat him because he is very smart but in direct combat his skill is lacking.
His use of his fruit and knowledge of its varied uses is VERY high. He can instantly kill anyone with little to no windup on the attack unless they can find a way to resist the lightning.
Speed? its LIGHTNING. he is also capable of moving faster than the speed of sound but unlike kizaru he never turns himself into electricity to move...so we're gonna take this away from him.

He'd be pretty strong but He would get RUINED by the admirals and the bigger threats in the new world.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
please hold off on PW4. wait till we get to Wano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Calling back to the Yonkou discussion

When you say things like "strength of a yonkou" You cant be talking about just the youkou themselves right because that often isnt why they have their status.

You have to talk about
Them
Their Influence
Their Armada/Territory

The yonkou are all considered "Strong" but for different reasons.

Big Mom for her connections
Buffy for his military might
Shanks for his influence over the comings and goings of pirates in general
Kaidou because of his military might personal might and dominance of several territories.

If you want to talk about their individual strength then we should point out the fighting prowess of the yonkou?

of which the clear answer has to be shanks.